Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 24th May 2012, 11:08   #1606
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Shell fuel price discussion thread !!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sajo View Post
Looks like the fuel price hike (spike!) has not affected Shell yet :

Fuel Pricing at Shell Stations | India

OR

Their website prices are not updated that regularly.
Its 81.50...What else do you expect?
over the last 2-3 months the shell prices have risen gradually from 73 to 81.50.
While the others were forced by the useless politicos to hold back the prices till the elections are over.
In our country, "Petrol Deregulation" is just a term without any meaning.
Old 24th May 2012, 11:54   #1607
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anandpadhye View Post
Now the fundamental question - if they get from MRPL, why should their fuel be better than the fuel supplied by PUCs (I think IOC owns MRPL, right?).
That is where they have the cutting edge technology in terms of additives!

Cheers!
Old 24th May 2012, 12:12   #1608
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by volkman10 View Post
That is where they have the cutting edge technology in terms of additives!

Cheers!
Where do they add those additives? Just outside the MRPL complex or in some transit godown before shipping to the retail pumps? If they do all the mixing inside MRPL, then even IOC can follow the same formula if they want.
Old 24th May 2012, 12:21   #1609
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Where do they add those additives? Just outside the MRPL complex or in some transit godown .
They have blending plants scattered across various states that do this!

Cheers!
volkman10 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th May 2012, 12:25   #1610
BHPian

Quote:
Now the fundamental question - if they get from MRPL, why should their fuel be better than the fuel supplied by PUCs (I think IOC owns MRPL, right?).
When the fuel comes out of MRPL all are getting the same quality fuel. It is in the supply chain downstream where PUC run channels have scope of adulteration creeping in due to Unethical bunk employees / middlemen etc..

Whereas with Shell strict quality is maintained and there is no scope for adulteration downstream all the way from the refinery till it gets into your car's petrol tank.

Disclaimer : I have not verified the facts, and I don't have any inner knowledge about the same ... This is just what I hear, so you can take it either way. .

The good thing is there are numerous postings of how people got conned in various bunks, but you don't find these happening at shell.

Last edited by Fillmore : 24th May 2012 at 12:27.
Fillmore is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th May 2012, 12:31   #1611
Senior - BHPian

The blending will take place at the refinery alone, not outside. And their additives go only in to the "super" petrol. Which is the equivalent of the "premium" petrol of others.

There really is no difference between Shell petrol and the one sold at PSU bunks. The only difference is, the petrol that leaves the refinery is exactly delivered to you at the Shell pump without any hanky-panky in quantity or quality. Which is not the case with most PSU pumps.

Whenever I fill petrol from an excellent PSU pump I know of at Pondy, I find it to be just identical to Shell petrol, be it in engine performance or FE.
Gansan is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 24th May 2012, 12:43   #1612
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fillmore View Post
Disclaimer : I have not verified the facts, and I don't have any inner knowledge about the same ... This is just what I hear, so you can take it either way. .
Yes, that's my concern too.
Things are too difficult to verify by our own selves.
After all Shell would use one of the regular tanker operator companies in our country for the supply chain, and not some ethically certified staff from Moon or Mars, right?

Last weekend I filled Shell diesel in my Tucson (the low fuel warning light had come up some 50 km before and without thinking I pulled into a clean looking pump. Did not realize it was Shell until the attendant told me to check the price and confirm if I want to refill (it was Rs 64 per liter for diesel). For some reason I asked him to go ahead (not sure why I did not drive off to the IOC next door which looked equally nice and clean).

So the Tucson drank 65 liters of the so called high quality Shell diesel.
Let's see how many kilometers it runs before the warning light (and I tank up again).
I have been driving regularly without trying to achieve any great FE.
I will report in a few days.

Not sure if the Shell diesel would really keep my engine clean, it certainly kept my conscience clean (by not allowing me to take the so called subsidy)...

Cheers!

Last edited by anandpadhye : 24th May 2012 at 12:47.
Old 24th May 2012, 12:51   #1613
Senior - BHPian

Filled Shell Normal petrol today at the Graphite India Outlet, Whitefield.
Price Rs 81.50/-
Old 24th May 2012, 17:26   #1614
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gansan View Post
The blending will take place at the refinery alone, not outside. And their additives go only in to the "super" petrol. Which is the equivalent of the "premium" petrol of others.
Well, even I thought that Shell Unleaded = PSU unleaded. Meaning both do not have any additives. But this is what Shell claims as per their website

" Unleaded from Shell is designed to help keep your engine clean and helps protect against corrosion

To operate at their best, engines require the precise amount of air and fuel to enter the engine and be mixed together at the right time.
With some fuels, deposits may form over time on the back of the inlet valves. This can lead to delays in the required fuel charge entering the engine and a poor mix of fuel and air, reducing the engine’s performance.
Unleaded from Shell has been formulated to help prevent the build-up of these deposits, and to help maintain your engine’s performance.
Formulated to help protect against corrosion

Many of the components in the vehicle’s fuel system are metallic, and consequently there is potential for corrosion to take place. The special formulation used in Unleaded from Shell is designed to help protect your engine and fuel system against steel corrosion."

So they do claim they have a 'special' formulation.

I have an interesting observation which I made recently. I have been feeding my Laura TSI Shell unleaded right from the day I bought the car. PSU petrol was filled only when I was away from Bangalore. I have been doing quite a lot of intercity trips in my car and have been generally happy with the performance. On most return trips to Bangalore I have had to fill PSU petrol. I have always found that there was no difference in the performance nor in the FE achieved for the onward trip (with Shell Unleaded) and the return trip with (PSU unleaded). The thought process of going for SHell fuel was that the cleaner and unadulterated fuel would from Shell would keep the TSI engine in good health. On one particular return trip from Belgaum I tanked up with unleaded from a BP pump. The car just felt like it had developed a fresh pair of legs! THe engine was smoother, quieter and lunging forward at the slightest tap on the throttle. FE was also better. Mind you this never happened before as I have run on PSU petrol on many occasions on return journeys to Bangalore. What could be the explanation?
Old 24th May 2012, 17:32   #1615
BHPian

Now, after our wonderful government increased the petrol prices by 7.50 rs is there going to be any revision in shell prices? In chennai , shell costs me 80 rs per ltr before this price hike.
Old 24th May 2012, 18:37   #1616
Senior - BHPian

So far I was not bothered to check out the Shell petrol. Now that it should cost as much as the regular petrol I will be heading to a Shell petrol bunk today and will soon know the actual price.
Old 25th May 2012, 10:01   #1617
Senior - BHPian

Shell is now actually cheaper by 1 Re than it was earlier.

It is 79.35 rupees for regular unleaded in Pune now.
sajo is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th May 2012, 11:49   #1618
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Santoshbhat View Post
What could be the explanation?
What is the recommended petrol for your Skoda, for the Honda City it is 91 Octane, so we used fill only premium petrol. Yes, there is a significant difference in terms of drivability, between the regular unleaded and premium. May be you could try Premium,if it is recommended by Skoda.
Old 25th May 2012, 11:51   #1619
Senior - BHPian

I knew this thread will wake up after the price hike. In Bangalore, Shell is now cheaper by 25 paisa.

I guess its time to go to Shell pumps again.
Old 25th May 2012, 11:54   #1620
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sajo View Post
Shell is now actually cheaper by 1 Re than it was earlier.

It is 79.35 rupees for regular unleaded in Pune now.
Ojas, is this at Hinjewadi? Shell's website has listed the price as Rs 80.35 outside the octroi limits in Pune. May be their website is yet to be updated?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks