Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 19th July 2008, 16:34   #106
BHPian

and again I am happy to remind everyone that the price comes from 102% duty and 16% CST and so on and so forth... so basically italians or fiat have nothing to do with it, our government does.

The car is EU exc. UK is more like 7-8L in price. but for 500 units setting up an assembly in india would be dumb. Even if they do and bring a 1.2P or 1.3D at 9L, how many of us would buy it really? so mass targetting does not make sense in India coz most ppl dont value many of the features stated above.
Old 19th July 2008, 18:42   #107
BHPian

After going thru all nice features car provide, we must look at positive side of it, instead of crying for price issue.
I bet if we find similar design quality, quality of plastics in any car small car. check http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/attach...d-img_1772.jpg I don't think there is any point in fighting against this. It's beauty,depends on you if you can buy. I my self can not buy it but loves to see that such great product is now in India. Engine is size, power is not just everything. In europe I have seen great Fiat cars rulling the roads, I wonder why they have not launched those in India, now good to see that such international product is at our door steps. If Mini or Smart make it to India, they would also cost similar lines. So should be start crying for it?

About Hyundai, how about i10 people call it overpriced, can we think of comparing it against 500? Simply not. And about Maruti,TATA they are still in fighting with building good quality design and car, they can not make single demo/design car which can be compared with 500. checkout TATA indica at Expo 2008 pics. I am sure Fiat brand value in target audiance would definately improve, may be we are not in the target audiance, we feel bad about it.
I would say stop expecting world great cars at low cost like TATA nano. Please do critise the car but do not go out of way to search issues and blame.

Last edited by mrkanitkar : 19th July 2008 at 18:44.
Old 19th July 2008, 18:44   #108
Senior - BHPian

I'm sure there are enough people who want a high quality, but low key car .
Old 19th July 2008, 18:56   #109
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenhorn View Post
I'm sure there are enough people who want a high quality, but low key car .
Yes, it all goes X price with Y quality which is best in given cost.
I am sure if this car would be available for TD, we will find people complaining about sitting, small curves, some colum design, power issue, tyre size,wheel size. All will come stating for 15 lac this is too much. Some one start saying Swift is better as same engine is there.
Old 19th July 2008, 19:07   #110
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitpunjani View Post
One Fiat 500 = 12 Nanos
You got that right. Fiat has to sell just one Fiat 500 to make 15 lacs, where as Tata nano has to get 15 buyers to make the same money.
Old 19th July 2008, 19:43   #111
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by finneyp View Post
Are you saying those who are buying Mini, 500 cars in other countries are fools?

Pls remember these are lifestyle cars intended for small niche buyers, and not for common public!

As for Hyundai, Maruti etc, they can only be perplexed on seeing such cars as they don't have the prowess or skills to make such awesome cute cars!
Please read the comment below by nipunkul. This means this car is not actually a "niche buyers" car. Its just made to look like one because of its pricing here. People in EU would not buy a car like this when it costs 7-8 lakhs there to be considered a "niche buyer". So, if you buy it here you are a fool, if you buy it abroad, you are not.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nipunkul View Post
and again I am happy to remind everyone that the price comes from 102% duty and 16% CST and so on and so forth... so basically italians or fiat have nothing to do with it, our government does.

The car is EU exc. UK is more like 7-8L in price. but for 500 units setting up an assembly in india would be dumb. Even if they do and bring a 1.2P or 1.3D at 9L, how many of us would buy it really? so mass targetting does not make sense in India coz most ppl dont value many of the features stated above.
Thanks.

Last edited by straight6 : 19th July 2008 at 19:44.
Old 19th July 2008, 19:46   #112
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by madhokritesh View Post
it was clearly said in that conf that the 500 launch is more of a Brand Building effort for Fiat India and not a Sales Target thing, Fiat wont feel a pinch even if not a single 500 is sold they happy with all the publicity that its getting. The Bravo is soon to follow.
Quote:
Originally Posted by normally_crazy View Post
What Brand Building are they trying to achieve ?
Exactly cant understand their strategy here. Atleast launch a Linea or GP then go ahead with the Bravo launch. No point launching hatchbacks at 15 lacs ex showroom & say " People This is a FIAT" and sell only few units. They need to be agressive in their plan IMO. Being a Fiat fan i hope they do something!
Old 19th July 2008, 20:08   #113
BHPian

Quote:
As for Hyundai, Maruti etc, they can only be perplexed on seeing such cars as they don't have the prowess or skills to make such awesome cute cars!

Cute car?? Me thinks, it's got an ugly butt.

Honestly, if cuteness demands such a high price, then GM must immediately revise the Spark's price coz IMO, it tips the 500 in the cuteness scale.
Old 19th July 2008, 20:44   #114
BHPian

Fiat should have got the 500 in the SKD form atleast that would have meant a lot of lower taxes and maybe they could have priced it closer to the Rs 10L price bracket.

When Skoda first launched their cars in India they were brought in SKD form with out easy to replace parts like Tyres, wiper etc. this helped them to price the cars cheaper.

Surely Indian made Bridgestone / Goodyear's are pretty good in terms of quality.
Old 19th July 2008, 21:00   #115
BHPian

correct me if i am wrong - but maybe they could have used the 1.3mjd palio engine locally from ranjangaon plant - isn't it the same engine
the SKD part makes even more sense then
Old 19th July 2008, 21:55   #116
BHPian

Fiat strategy

Quote:
Originally Posted by karanraheja View Post
Exactly cant understand their strategy here.
I think its a good strategy. In fact the same applies to what Skoda is doing with Fabia:

1. Even with the high import duties etc, if companies import cars as 100-70% built units, they do not have other manufacturing overheads.

2. Higher prices = higher margins for dealers. Its not like 4000 rupees a TATA nano dealer would make. So because of the high price, sales will be low but then both dealers and manufacturers are happy as they get the moolah from the margins.

3. Marketing strategy is to create that "hard to get" feeling. Most recent example is SKoda Fabia. Irrespective of their image in Checz the Lauras and Octavias have established Skoda as a "premium" segment in India. In fact people swear by the so called Skoda quality...you know something in the lines of an Audi or Benz! So when Fabia is introduced suddenly you have a 'premium' brand in your reach. Mind you it is still not priced for huge sales.

Even Fiat is doing the same thing. If you see the order in which the new Fiat cars are going to be introduced in India: 500, Bravo, Linea, Grande Punto.

For most of us here Grande Punto is the car that falls in an easy budget. But if they get in grande punto first they lose all the premium segment buyers as they do not want cars from a 'cheap' manufacturer. So it works perfect to introduce the costlier ones and then hit the mass market.

Keeping aside the after sales service woes, I think Fiat is playing correct with its models.
Old 20th July 2008, 10:05   #117
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nipunkul View Post
The car is EU exc. UK is more like 7-8L in price.
Why can't people go and configure a Fiat 500 on the UK website and find out the "cheap price" for which this car retails in UK? I configured a 1.3 MJD Lounge with almost the same features as the Indian 500 and the ON ROAD PRICE comes to GBP13,000 which is approximately Rs.10.50 lakhs.

Mere conversion doesn't give the correct idea. Yes, I agree with that but even for a British citizen 13,000 pounds is as costly as 12-15 lacs is for an Indian. The car isn't cheap even in Europe where it's a cult car along the lines of the VW Beetle and Mini.

Coming to the other cult cars and their "cheap prices" abroad:

- VW Beetle starts from CAD 21,975 in Canada which is the starting price of the JETTA. And it's CAD 4,985 or Rs.2.0 Lacs more then the Honda Civic. Yes, the Beetle doesn't sell half as many units as the Jetta but the Beetle buyer doesn't even glance at the Jetta when he comes into buy the Beetle.

- The Mini starts from CAD22,800 which is CAD 5,810 or approx Rs.3.35 lakhs more then the Honda Civic. and CAD 825 (Rs.35,00) more then the cheapest German sedan, the Jetta.

As for making the 500 in India, do you guys actually believe that a 500 would outsell a Swift if it's priced against it? People are going to say that the 500 doesn't have 4 doors and hence Swift is better value for money.

By the way, the Grande Punto 1.3 MJD Dynamic with optional dual zone automatic climate control, fog lights and reverse parking sensors plus standard front electric windows and steel wheels costs GBP 12,325.

Last edited by amit : 20th July 2008 at 10:11.
Old 20th July 2008, 12:02   #118
Senior - BHPian

@AdvaithC- Some of your points might be right. But what i meant is Fiat should have first improved its A**. When Linea is launched in Sept. IMO most of the people might wait & see how Fiat improves its A**. If they do that then i think Linea can kill the competition. In short i feel Fiat should concentrate on bread & butter models first and side by side bring in the Bravo.
They should first prove that they are working on improving their A** .
Old 20th July 2008, 12:29   #119
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by karanraheja View Post
@AdvaithC- Some of your points might be right. But what i meant is Fiat should have first improved its A**. When Linea is launched in Sept. IMO most of the people might wait & see how Fiat improves its A**. If they do that then i think Linea can kill the competition. In short i feel Fiat should concentrate on bread & butter models first and side by side bring in the Bravo.
They should first prove that they are working on improving their A** .
How does it really matter on A.S.S.? Skoda, Honda A.S.S. is not that great infact at times they overcharge customer for spare part when it comes to service. Even service engineer is least bothered to talk to you.
Old 20th July 2008, 14:13   #120
BHPian

Quote:
Are you saying those who are buying Mini, 500 cars in other countries are fools?

Pls remember these are lifestyle cars intended for small niche buyers, and not for common public!

I don't agree with your statement finneyp, Maruti & Hyundai are not so foolish enough to make cars for people with perverse money! Thats the point and not that they don't have the prowess or skills!
Shed your Fiat uniform for a minute and think unbiased! Will you go & buy a Fiat500 for 15 lacs? You might do that if Tata/Fiat gives an exchange bonus of 12 lacs for your old palio!!!
Cheers

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks