Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 23rd July 2008, 16:06   #181
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatchyBoy View Post
Why buy a Tissot or a Tag Heuer, when you can get a similar contraption in any roadside watch shop. After all both show time, right?

Cheers,

Rajan
Precisely! That's why I bought a road side Tissot!. IMHO, Mini is better! 500 is Delicious!
Old 23rd July 2008, 16:10   #182
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by finneyp View Post
Why not compare 500 and Mini? They both compete each other in European market!

It is good you drove a Mini, pls try to test drive a 500 too, then we would like to know your comments, and not a one-sided jibe as above!
From what I've been reading in the European press the 500 is a definite let down as far as driving feel is concerned. In fact EVO magazine rated it as amongst the 10 biggest let downs of 2007. I'll try & dig up that article.
Old 23rd July 2008, 16:49   #183
BHPian

Quote:

It is good you drove a Mini, pls try to test drive a 500 too, then we would like to know your comments, and not a one-sided jibe as above!
1. I'd have, if it was available.

2. And it's a personal opinion based on my experiences with the MINI you're free to agree or disagree. But, I don't get it why people take it so personally. If you've driven either of the two, we'd welcome your constructive comments too rather than lashing out at anyone who's got something to share.

EDIT: Also we're talking about the Indian Market here where consumer mentality is completely different from elsewhere. People can connect with a 15L BMW but not with a Fiat having similar features at the same cost.

Last edited by carzy : 23rd July 2008 at 17:08.
Old 23rd July 2008, 16:57   #184
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by carzy View Post
1. I'd have, if it was available.

2. And it's a personal opinion based on my experiences with the MINI you're free to agree or disagree. But, I don't get it why people take it so personally. If you've driven either of the two, we'd welcome your constructive comments too rather than lashing out at anyone who's got something to share.
Am confused as to who's taking it personally but neither is Mini launched in India yet, nor is it going to be launched soon. Till then we can keep the comparing Mini & 500 topic aside.

Quote:
Originally Posted by iraghava View Post
From what I've been reading in the European press the 500 is a definite let down as far as driving feel is concerned. In fact EVO magazine rated it as amongst the 10 biggest let downs of 2007. I'll try & dig up that article.
Interesting !
Even I will try to dig up a review of the initial test drives done in the Europe on the net. There should be something out there. Also, the car would have been compared with some car back when it was launched in the Europe. Lets see.
Old 23rd July 2008, 17:18   #185
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
And IMHO, please do not compare the 500 with BMW's Mini. The Mini is a gazillion times better car, I've driven it for a whole 4 weeks and it's absolute magic. How dare anyone compare a Fiat and a BMW, the nerve!
Have you driven the 500, the answer to which is offcourse a NO. Please dont pass on judgements or sweeping comments like the one above.
Fiat is widely considered to be the master of small cars in Europe which would explain BMW wanting to partner Fiat for the next mini platform which will be used by both.

Besides why dont you go through the 500 review here
First Drive: 2008 Fiat 500

"BMW and FIAT will co-operate to develop a new platform for small cars from the either manufacturer, supplier sources have said. The platform will be used for the next generation Fiat Grande Punto and BMW’s 3rd generation Mini, both of which are due early next decade.

Fiat is widely considered as a master of small cars while BMW’s are known for their driving pleasure and dyanmics. A combination of both and we will have a winner in the market while the two companies save on R&D costs, a win win situation for both consumers as well as the manufacturers.The two companies are also considering developing a new family of petrol and diesel powerplants, sources told Automotive News."

Source: cubic capacity[dot]com

Last edited by extreme_torque : 23rd July 2008 at 17:22.
Old 23rd July 2008, 17:24   #186
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amtak View Post
Precisely! That's why I bought a road side Tissot!. IMHO, Mini is better! 500 is Delicious!
Good for you. Have you driven or experienced the Fiat 500? If not, do you consider yourself fully qualified to judge the Mini as better? I have driven the Mini for around 6 months too and agree that it is a great car. But I am not ready to conclude that it is better, before I get a chance to experience the 500 first hand. That may never happen though, not while I am in India atleast

You might want to check out this article though:

Rating the retros: Fiat 500 takes on Mini and Beetle - drive.com.au

Cheers,

Rajan

Last edited by PatchyBoy : 23rd July 2008 at 17:30.
Old 23rd July 2008, 17:50   #187
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by extreme_torque View Post
Have you driven the 500, the answer to which is offcourse a NO. Please dont pass on judgements or sweeping comments like the one above.
Ok, Now MINI hasn't been launched here but we're all comparing the two anyways coz it's been done in europe. 500 might be a great car, totally fantastic, beating the MINI hands down.
They definitely might be comparable in Europe, I've seen the Fifth gear episode which compares the Mini and 500 sometime back where the 500 is deemed faster than the MINI. I still don't understand Fiat's strategy in rolling out a 15L lifestyle car without having much brand value in India.
What I meant and I should've been more clearer, is that, you look at them both from an Indian perspective and Mini clearly has an upper hand as it's a BMW and Fiat doesn't have much brand value here. So my apologies to 500 fans for not being clear in my earlier post

Last edited by carzy : 23rd July 2008 at 17:58.
Old 23rd July 2008, 18:24   #188
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Ok, Now MINI hasn't been launched here but we're all comparing the two anyways coz it's been done in europe. 500 might be a great car, totally fantastic, beating the MINI hands down.
They definitely might be comparable in Europe, I've seen the Fifth gear episode which compares the Mini and 500 sometime back where the 500 is deemed faster than the MINI. I still don't understand Fiat's strategy in rolling out a 15L lifestyle car without having much brand value in India.
What I meant and I should've been more clearer, is that, you look at them both from an Indian perspective and Mini clearly has an upper hand as it's a BMW and Fiat doesn't have much brand value here. So my apologies to 500 fans for not being clear in my earlier post
Even I do not very precisely understand the pricing strategy of FIAT for 500, rather I do not understand the pricing strategies of many other Cars/Car manufacturers, but we should leave it for them to decide as they are best judge of their pricing, just like we are the best judge of our own car needs withing our budget.

BMW took over the Mini Cooper. Its prices now are sky high.

Assuming BMW takes over the manufacturing of 500, will the same product appeal many for 17L just because it is now under BMW and not FIAT?
In India, this is Very Doubtful

Last edited by vinit.merchant : 23rd July 2008 at 18:25.
Old 23rd July 2008, 21:43   #189
BHPian

Well, i am happy, 10 years from now people will relate three door hatches to luxury over 5 door ones, unlike now a three door means cutting cost. This means this is an extreemly risky move from fiat, completly abandoning any concerns raised by their marketing guys.

Love the 500 for its detailing. Hoping to see the mini on our roads too.
Old 23rd July 2008, 21:51   #190
BHPian

I am not sure why we are arguing the mini and 500 can't be compared - they cost almost the same and infact the 500 (1.4 ltr 100bhp one) being slightly lighter beats the mini on the track like in the links i posted on page 2 of this thread!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jassi View Post
if you check the fiat india 500 page
Fiat India :: Showroom : 500
you will notice that it is only going to be launched in India with the 75bhp multijet diesel engine which according to most reviewers is crap when compared to the 100bhp 1.4 ltr petrol
heres a topgear video on that
YouTube - Top Gear Fiat 500
If only they had the brains to launch it with the rev happy 1.4 ltr 100bhp engine which even beats the bmw mini
YouTube - Fiat 500 vs. Mini One
If I intend to spend 12lacs or more its the petrol 500 or mini for me, both are equally awesome.
The diesel fiat 500 is a no no for me (also as mentioned in the top gear video above)
We can keep going at this in terms of heritage, exclusivity and all the other reasons in the world but the truth at the end of the day is there will be a few car crazy people interested in a 15 lac diesel sports hatch, if it were petrol there will be car enthusiasts who will definitely go for it. As they say in the top gear video "the diesel is rubbish and the whole point of a small sports hatch is something which you can rev and rev till the valves come out and dance around on the bonnet"

Last edited by jassi : 23rd July 2008 at 21:54.
Old 24th July 2008, 10:05   #191
BHPian

does this come with the fame DUALOGIC gear box ??

FIAT, always....
Old 24th July 2008, 10:15   #192
Senior - BHPian

The only dealer in Bombay for the 500 seems to be Concorde. Can any of the Fiat enthusiasts do a proper test drive and post a detailed review? Just drooling over the idea of a TD myself, but cant spare any time over the next fortnight.

Cyrus or Karlos or Mr.Behram - If one of you'll could do the honours please?
Old 24th July 2008, 15:37   #193
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
The only dealer in Bombay for the 500 seems to be Concorde.
Thats a good thing, isn't it? I think that property at Prabhadevi is Tata-owned and they'd be able to service this premium customer far better than the Shamans & Wasans.
Old 24th July 2008, 15:44   #194
BHPian

Same is the case in Bangy i believe. I already got an email from Concorde Motors as I had registered interest in fiat 500.

Heres the email and my reply

"
Dear *****,

Thank you for the email. It is my understanding that the fiat 500 is sold globally in petrol 1.2 & 1.4 options in addition to the 1.3 diesel. This is also mentioned in your attached australian brochure. Are these petrol engine options going to be available in India anytime soon? I would be interested in a petrol fiat 500 (1.2 or preferably 100bhp 1.4) whenever it gets launched. Please do let me know on the timelines and targeted pricing if any for the same.

cheers,
jatin
------------------------------

Dear Sir

This is ***** from M/s Concorde Motors, Bangalore we thank you for your interest on the newly launched FIAT 500 we are indeed dealers for Tata Motors Selling Fiat 500 in the entire state of Karnataka.
To brief you about the Fiat 500 this car is a completely built unit from the mother plant of FIAT Overseas .which houses a power full 1.3 electronically controlled common Rail Multijet direct injection with supercharger and intercooler DIESEL ENGINE pumping 75 bhp, Equipped with 7 Air Bags, ABS with EBD and many more.
Ex Show Room Price of the car Rs 14, 80,500.00. in BANGALORE. Road Tax, insurance and Handling charges as applicable.
Personalization for car is available according your choice at an extra cost.
Kindly feel free to contact me on further quires and details **********
I am also attaching more details for your info.
Have a nice day
Thanks and Regards
***** "

On a side note the attachment on accessories which they sent me is pretty comprehensive. However given that the brochures are from aussie, similar to the engines, I am sure half of those accessories are not available for purchase eg. 16-17" alloys, etc

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Thats a good thing, isn't it? I think that property at Prabhadevi is Tata-owned and they'd be able to service this premium customer far better than the Shamans & Wasans.

Last edited by jassi : 24th July 2008 at 15:57.
Old 24th July 2008, 16:03   #195
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jassi View Post
.....with supercharger .....
Since when
PS: the mini notwithstanding, I still think that it is ironic that the sucessor for a car which became popular for economy and practicality has to be so expensive. Who knows , 50 years from now , maruti might launch a 20 lakh successor to the 800

Last edited by greenhorn : 24th July 2008 at 16:07.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks