Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 22nd July 2008, 13:57   #166
BHPian

I knew that was coming but yeah the wave of attention to the 500 on this tbhp thread is a lot !! wonder what would have happened if it was a 10L and a petrol

Quote:
Originally Posted by kanwal View Post
buddy in last two years of my observations.. tbhp was always talking about Fiat... we are hating it, loving it, advising it, cursing it and praising it all the times.. but yes you are right it has surely sparked another wave and its good for Fiat

Last edited by jassi : 22nd July 2008 at 13:59.
Old 22nd July 2008, 14:48   #167
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rider60 View Post
is this car not asking too much price atleast in the Indian market, the swift with a free flow and a CAI delivers kind of same performance why do they even do this? it priced three times the swift.

man its only for the style statement imo one can spend like around 2L on the swift for the same kind of luxurious feel and VOILA we have a car as good as this one. the price is simply carzy.

EDIT: i am comparing the swift petrol not the diesel.
Are you the one who will prefer the Android by DC over a Rolls Royce Phantom?
Old 22nd July 2008, 16:38   #168
Senior - BHPian

Car - Looks, The interiors: Wonderful. Awesome.
Price: 15L. Sky High.
Will I buy it: If I already had a Skoda Superb in my garage and have another 60-70 Lakhs spare with me without any option of investing it anywhere, Yes.
Is the car launched as an affordable car for everyone: No. No way. FIAT hasn't targeted this car for the middle class to afford, just like the Fabias, the Merc's, BMW's, etc.

Seen a lot of comparing of this car with the Swift. I think there ain't any car in India that can be compared with 500 yet, till the Mini Cooper is launched (which is not going to be launched as per the last update i read in papers couple of months back). If the Mini Cooper was launched, I dont think there would have been a comparison made with the swift. Do we compare the Merc'/BMW's with Swifts/GETZ/Palio's? We should not. Similarly, considering what all luxuries the 500 comes with, we should not compare it with the Swifts/Getz/etc just because the 500 is in the same size bracket.

But if we want to compare it anyway, I dont think Swift is the car to compare. Let us compare with Fabia, which comes sightly near to 500 for comparison. Let Skoda come up with a two door Fabia option and with the facilities as are provided in the 500 (500 comes with many many more things in it than the Fabia). Then we shall see the pricing of Fabia and compare with 500.
Old 22nd July 2008, 17:22   #169
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinit.merchant View Post
Car - Looks, The interiors: Wonderful. Awesome.
Price: 15L. Sky High.
Will I buy it: If I already had a Skoda Superb in my garage and have another 60-70 Lakhs spare with me without any option of investing it anywhere, Yes.
Is the car launched as an affordable car for everyone: No. No way. FIAT hasn't targeted this car for the middle class to afford, just like the Fabias, the Merc's, BMW's, etc.

Seen a lot of comparing of this car with the Swift. I think there ain't any car in India that can be compared with 500 yet, till the Mini Cooper is launched (which is not going to be launched as per the last update i read in papers couple of months back). If the Mini Cooper was launched, I dont think there would have been a comparison made with the swift. Do we compare the Merc'/BMW's with Swifts/GETZ/Palio's? We should not. Similarly, considering what all luxuries the 500 comes with, we should not compare it with the Swifts/Getz/etc just because the 500 is in the same size bracket.

But if we want to compare it anyway, I dont think Swift is the car to compare. Let us compare with Fabia, which comes sightly near to 500 for comparison. Let Skoda come up with a two door Fabia option and with the facilities as are provided in the 500 (500 comes with many many more things in it than the Fabia). Then we shall see the pricing of Fabia and compare with 500.

What is that is extra in 500 that is not there in Fabia Elegante? (Just for curiosity sake) And also whats there in Fabia that is not there in 500?
Old 22nd July 2008, 17:31   #170
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by joslicx View Post
What is that is extra in 500 that is not there in Fabia Elegante? (Just for curiosity sake) And also whats there in Fabia that is not there in 500?
The 500 looks exactly a million times better
+ 7 Air Bags
+ Blue & Me
+ Outside rear view mirror with electric drive and defroster
+ 16 inch alloy wheels and they look stunning
+ Fixed glass roof
And I forgot, better engine and safety and dare I say better quality overall and intangibles like more fun to drive, status and the cult following.
Old 22nd July 2008, 17:38   #171
BHPian

well actually the fabia does have the ORVM defroster... 1.3MJD wouldn;t be any more fun to drive in 500 than in palio/swift.

But the real stuff you missed out is the interior and paint quality of 500 which is extremely good.
Old 22nd July 2008, 18:26   #172
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nipunkul View Post
1.3MJD wouldn;t be any more fun to drive in 500 than in palio/swift.
You never know how the 1.3 MJD delivers on the 500.

We have already seen the difference between the Swift and the Palio MJD. Swift is much more fun to drive than the Palio MJD, both having almost the same configuration and considering that Swift DDIS is heavier than the Palio MJD.

So cant comment anything on the 500 MJD delivery until it is tested.
Old 22nd July 2008, 18:34   #173
BHPian

The Car Looks Very Cute and Is Feature Packed...But 15L for a mini car ??
Old 22nd July 2008, 18:37   #174
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinit.merchant View Post
You never know how the 1.3 MJD delivers on the 500.

We have already seen the difference between the Swift and the Palio MJD. Swift is much more fun to drive than the Palio MJD, both having almost the same configuration and considering that Swift DDIS is heavier than the Palio MJD.

So cant comment anything on the 500 MJD delivery until it is tested.
dude the car is tuned to give out 145Nm @ as low as 1500rpm so the ratio's are different, don't go by the 1.3 Multijet Engine cubic Capacity, go by the figures. I will certainly be a good driveable car in the city. It claims 0-100 in 12.5 secs & a top speed of 165kms which is pretty decent too.

But... its too pricey for my pocket, if i had the money i would go for it, see the customisation it gives you, its a niche product.

Last edited by anilkalvani : 22nd July 2008 at 18:48.
Old 22nd July 2008, 19:05   #175
BHPian

I dont feel that the Fiat 500 is anything special, in the sense it has been projected and marketed in the West (for eg, in the UK). But at least Fiat has launched it here.

I fail to remember the last time a car manufacturer launched a purely fun, offbeat sort of a car. If everyone were to make cars like the Fabia, Getz, Santro Aveo etc etc, we'll all get bored and lose interest in cars whatsoever.

The weird and strange looking Swift sparked interest in cars a while ago, though Maruti's sales figures have seen to it that the Swift's commoness has eclipsed and overshadowed its quirkiness.
Old 23rd July 2008, 12:15   #176
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arajand View Post
I dont feel that the Fiat 500 is anything special, in the sense it has been projected and marketed in the West (for eg, in the UK). But at least Fiat has launched it here.

I fail to remember the last time a car manufacturer launched a purely fun, offbeat sort of a car. If everyone were to make cars like the Fabia, Getz, Santro Aveo etc etc, we'll all get bored and lose interest in cars whatsoever.

The weird and strange looking Swift sparked interest in cars a while ago, though Maruti's sales figures have seen to it that the Swift's commoness has eclipsed and overshadowed its quirkiness.
That is a good point that if everyone was to make same kind of cars then we'd lose interest pretty soon. however, for me the much more anticipated and interesting car from Fiat Stable is the GP! Lookswise I didnt find 500 as appealing really. Its too girly (apologies to the members of the fairer sex).
Old 23rd July 2008, 14:53   #177
Senior - BHPian

Did you guys know that you can also upload your snap on the 500 website (Italian)?

Fiat - Facce da 500

The first (latest) snap (amtak) is me!!! Hurray!
Old 23rd July 2008, 15:48   #178
BHPian

Nice, nice.. So who's going to be the first on TBHP to buy the 500
If I had that kinda money lying around I'd buy 2 Skoda Fabia's, one for me and one for my lady.

It's very true that you cannot compare the 500 with Swift but such comparisons will arise nevertheless, not just on this forum, but in general when the public looks at the car and the price tag. "Value For Money" is the moral of the story when launching most cars in India (other than the REAL luxury brands liike Mercedes, BMW, etc) for the masses but this one is for those who can afford luxury but cannot make out the difference between a real BRAND and a Wannabe.

And IMHO, please do not compare the 500 with BMW's Mini. The Mini is a gazillion times better car, I've driven it for a whole 4 weeks and it's absolute magic. How dare anyone compare a Fiat and a BMW, the nerve!

My suggestion to anyone wanting to buy this car is probably wait for the Launch of the Mini. If BMW's not planning to launch the Mini in India as someone mentioned above, IMPORT it RATHER than getting a 500
Old 23rd July 2008, 15:50   #179
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rider60 View Post
is this car not asking too much price atleast in the Indian market, the swift with a free flow and a CAI delivers kind of same performance why do they even do this? it priced three times the swift.

man its only for the style statement imo one can spend like around 2L on the swift for the same kind of luxurious feel and VOILA we have a car as good as this one. the price is simply carzy.

EDIT: i am comparing the swift petrol not the diesel.
Sure. We can just buy the engine, mount it on a contraption with 4 wheels and get the same performance for a fraction of the price. Why buy a Tissot or a Tag Heuer, when you can get a similar contraption in any roadside watch shop. After all both show time, right?

Cheers,

Rajan
Old 23rd July 2008, 16:04   #180
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by carzy View Post
And IMHO, please do not compare the 500 with BMW's Mini. I've driven it for a whole 4 weeks and it's absolute magic.
Why not compare 500 and Mini? They both compete each other in European market!

It is good you drove a Mini, pls try to test drive a 500 too, then we would like to know your comments, and not a one-sided jibe as above!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks