Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 21st July 2008, 14:47   #136
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by extreme_torque View Post
Why are we complaining on the price? We buy Merc C class for 33+ lakhs when the same thing costs $33000 in US and its assmebled here so no 1005+ duties to be paid.
Quote:
Originally Posted by neoonwheels View Post
Even the same thing with Honda Accord. It costs around 20k $ in US and double here in India.
That too these car does not have the features that are available in the Fiat 500.

Regards,

Sridhar
Old 21st July 2008, 16:26   #137
Senior - BHPian

Highly unlikely that Fiat intends to sell much of Fiat 500. More like a Honda Civic Hybrid image building product. You get a 500 which is some sort of minor icon, with a Palio 1.3 l engine at an outrageous price of Rs. 15 lakhs. This is an offer that nearly all will refuse, except those with a gun to their head.
Old 21st July 2008, 16:32   #138
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vasudeva View Post
Highly unlikely that Fiat intends to sell much of Fiat 500. More like a Honda Civic Hybrid image building product. You get a 500 which is some sort of minor icon, with a Palio 1.3 l engine at an outrageous price of Rs. 15 lakhs. This is an offer that nearly all will refuse, except those with a gun to their head.
Did you had a look at the specifications sheet??? Its got a lot of standard equipments plus even a glass roof for the lounge version.
Old 21st July 2008, 16:37   #139
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by iceman7 View Post
There are only 2 ways how i can buy this car.

1. My boss realises that i am a very valuable asset and gives me a 200% salary hike. Actually make that 300%.

2. Some spoilt rich kid buys it and decides he doesnt want it and sells it cheap.

Either ways, i dont see any of this happening over the next 2 years. So, back i go to work
Himanshu,
1) Should I tell him that you need a raise. I still have his number!!!!
2) You buy it and I'll buy it from you!

Btw, in my opinion, they should advertise the car in the news papers. It'll give them the required footage.
Old 21st July 2008, 16:41   #140
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by opendro View Post
Ridiculing does not cost anything. When they do buy, we can still call them fools, just like we at economy air ticket call those in business class brainless fools paying so much more for going the same distance as us.
Yes, but you see in the business class you can spread your legs and go to sleep rather than being cramped in economy, which makes a big difference to how you arrive at the destination. Sorry, but you chose the wrong analogy. Besides, are you one of those "niche buyers" who would buy this car?

Last edited by straight6 : 21st July 2008 at 16:43.
Old 21st July 2008, 16:44   #141
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Did you had a look at the specifications sheet??? Its got a lot of standard equipments plus even a glass roof for the lounge version.
You can dress a 75bhp engine with a lot of options, add some glass roof; but how many people will pay 15 lakhs for a dodgy brand with 75 bhp 1.3l engine, very little cache and image; and questionable service levels and commitment. Looks more like a image changeover strategy, than any thought out plan to sell some 500. Very few people are willing to pay even 4 lakhs for a Palio; but of course a lot more will pay 15 lakhs for the same engine in a better looking car with a glass roof?
Old 21st July 2008, 16:52   #142
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
You can dress a 75bhp engine with a lot of options, add some glass roof;
Its more than enough for the little car.
Quote:
but how many people will pay 15 lakhs for a dodgy brand with 75 bhp 1.3l engine, very little cache and image; and questionable service levels and commitment.
You arent paying the price for the brand, its for the car for a change. Questionable service levels and commitment after thousand crores investment in India? Why dont you read the latest ownership threads which mention much improved level of service from Fiat.

Quote:
Looks more like a image changeover strategy, than any thought out plan to sell some 500. Very few people are willing to pay even 4 lakhs for a Palio; but of course a lot more will pay 15 lakhs for the same engine in a better looking car with a glass roof?
It indeed is an image changeover strategy offcourse! Audi TT had the same engine as the Octavia Ryder... no one complained... you didnt complain then... why now? You are not buying the engine alone, it comes with a whole car over it.
Old 21st July 2008, 17:07   #143
BHPian

@et - i agree on your points, the people who are interested in buying it wont compare it to a spark or i10 or palio or swift, but all some of us wanted was a rev happy petrol variant (which I can mod a few years down the line, like the abarths) like they have in the europe , hope it comes out sometime soon after all its all imports

Quote:

You arent paying the price for the brand, its for the car for a change. Questionable service levels and commitment after thousand crores investment in India? Why dont you read the latest ownership threads which mention much improved level of service from Fiat.

It indeed is an image changeover strategy offcourse! Audi TT had the same engine as the Octavia Ryder... no one complained... you didnt complain then... why now? You are not buying the engine alone, it comes with a whole car over it.
Old 21st July 2008, 17:18   #144
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

I am least bothered about the fortunes and similarities of Audi and Skoda. For me, both are no no. I did not care about the company to complain. The numbers will soon tell whether thousand crores investment and more has been worthwhile. So far, it has not.

I am wondering if for 15 lakhs we are paying for a car for a change or the brand.
Old 21st July 2008, 17:22   #145
Senior - BHPian

Vasudeva, Fiat India had clearly stated during the 500 launch that this is just a Brand building exercise and they intend to sell a few hundred cars (Fiat 500) in the next one year!

The launch of the 500 is a precursor to the launch of other Fiat models such as Bravo, Linea and the Grande Punto in the Indian market!
Old 21st July 2008, 17:24   #146
Senior - BHPian

That is what I said: it is more like a Civic Hybrid.
Old 21st July 2008, 17:27   #147
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I am least bothered about the fortunes and similarities of Audi and Skoda. For me, both are no no. I did not care about the company to complain. The numbers will soon tell whether thousand crores investment and more has been worthwhile. So far, it has not.

I am wondering if for 15 lakhs we are paying for a car for a change or the brand.
Even I am not paid by Fiat to endorse or defend its products.

Well Palio sales have been steadily climbing, the company is back into people's buying radar and that good enough for a start. Turnarounds dont happen in a day or night.. they take time. I am sure Fiat will get there.
Old 21st July 2008, 17:37   #148
BHPian

@vasudeva, you should be doing either of these two, buy or don't buy.... stop harping abt FIAT & its + & -....

did u suffer in any form any kind of loss from FIAT, you have expressed your opinion more than once abt FIAT...

FIAT500 has won the award of structural rigidness & strength by beating a MERC... thats a great achievement in itself....
also, it is not the same engine as you get in PALIO multijet, PALIO MJT has generation-2 engine where as FIAT500 has generation-4 engine, much much better in terms of driveability, performace & most importantly emissions...

FIAT,always....
Old 21st July 2008, 18:07   #149
BHPian

Well said..Sanjay!

One of the esteemed owner is none other than Felipe Massa, number two driver for the Ferrari Scuderia Formula One team!

The unique Fiat 500 Sport is painted in Pearl White with brown Cordura interior, Skydome sunroof, 16 inch diamond alloy wheels and the customary red brake calipers.

Fiat Powertrain Racing (FPT) have worked their magic on the 1.4 liter 16V engine and raised power to 120 bhp from 100 hp, a little below the 135 hp Fiat 500 Abarth and well below the expected 160-170 hp from the Fiat 500 Abarth SS.

FIAT,always....

Cheers~
Attached Thumbnails
Fiat 500 Launch- 18th July - Now Launched-massa_fiat500.jpg  

Old 21st July 2008, 18:09   #150
Senior - BHPian

Gosh... its an amazingly good looking car! I wish I could afford one!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks