Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 11th November 2009, 22:50   #151
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anjan_c2007 View Post
They have the B segment Polo to be made in India and launched sometime in 2011 that may be priced in the 5L bracket.
These advertised (the Touareg, Jetta and New Beetle) are CKD /FBU imports and so the quick launch.
I doubt it. Would VW risk being grouped with Maruti/Tata/Hyundai?.Even Skoda, which has a low cost image in Europe is asking for a higher premium for the Fabia. VW wouldnt want to be below Skoda.I expect the Polo price to be somewhere between i20 and Jazz. Their dealerships including the proposed ones are all in the metros and bigger Tier 2 cities. I dont think they are really bothered about the remaining population as yet. But I do hope they have learnt something from Honda's Jazz bungle.
Old 11th November 2009, 22:57   #152
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amit mohan View Post
I think VW and Porsche have cross equity ownership i.e. that both the companies own large equity in each other and most probably one owns the other. This might explain the similar advts.
VW was set up to manufacture a car designed by Ferdinand Porsche so in a sense the company was founded by Porsche. They have frequently shared technology, and if I remember right, outsourced some manufacturing to each other.

Porsche was till recently one of the most profitable car companies in the world and was trying to take over VW. They seemed to have over-reached themselves plus the recession hit them harder than VW and recently the tables turned and VW ended up with the majority ownership of Porsche.
Old 11th November 2009, 23:46   #153
BHPian

Volkswagen Beetle - The price is true?

Got swept away with the advert in the morning. But then, I could not resist the call to the dealer. And then I was

The Beetle costs around $20,000 outside. I know I cannot compare the price here in India with the cost. But the above would mean around 9.2 lakh.

So I called the dealer. Now, I do not know if he lied to me. He said, it is going to compete with some Fiat 500 and BMW Mini. The engine is 2L with 115 BHP. And the price tag is 19-20L.

That is where I dropped the phone. Is that what is it going to be priced at?

Souvik
Old 12th November 2009, 00:32   #154
BHPian

this doesn't totally relate to the article - but saw a touareg yesterday itself in bhubaneswar. thought it was already launched?!
Old 12th November 2009, 02:11   #155
H2O
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by chevelle View Post
can somebody scan the ad and post here

don't have access to TOI.

Thanks
Here is the link to the said advertisement:
Welcome - Times Of India ePaper
Old 12th November 2009, 02:34   #156
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by d_himan View Post
5.3 Crores to be exact was the money paid for the 'roadblock' advertising. Definitely bang for the buck!
A very reliable source confirmed a figure to be a little higher than your but well below 10cr. A good deal for an all india bang!
Old 12th November 2009, 05:25   #157
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Souvik View Post
Got swept away with the advert in the morning. But then, I could not resist the call to the dealer. And then I was

The Beetle costs around $20,000 outside. I know I cannot compare the price here in India with the cost. But the above would mean around 9.2 lakh.

So I called the dealer. Now, I do not know if he lied to me. He said, it is going to compete with some Fiat 500 and BMW Mini. The engine is 2L with 115 BHP. And the price tag is 19-20L.

That is where I dropped the phone. Is that what is it going to be priced at?

Souvik
Using your calculations, if they bring it as CBUs then the tax is >100%, which means a car in your opinion costs 9L will cost more than 18 L. More over I don't think they are targeting high volumes, and want to keep it as a premium product
Old 12th November 2009, 08:57   #158
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by achinthg View Post
Fiat should also do an ad blitz like this to improve its image !!!
Wish they did that. But again, Tata will not allow that to happen since they handle the marketing department.
Old 12th November 2009, 09:47   #159
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by McLaren Rulez View Post
Talk about entering with a bang! Amazing ad campaign from VW. And the smart bit is that the ad campaign itself has got people talking which means even more publicity for VW.
I think it has got people talking only here. Moreover, VW was really not an unknown brand in India.

It would have been more appropriate if yesterday's TOI was distributed free to all. I felt I was reading some kind of supplement about VW, and the main news paper was missing!
Old 12th November 2009, 09:59   #160
BHPian

Here is the new Touareg link.... this link can not be accessed from VW site but can be searched through Google ...

The Touareg
Old 12th November 2009, 10:46   #161

India has certainly become the biggest car market in the world. This adv supports me, no need to dig in for facts now. Car cos are all here. VW trying to cover lost time in a ziffy. Though it was a bit too much in the end and now they might irritate customers by overdoing it.

I have not seen the TV commercials but if they are covering prime time (8-10 PM), they are trying to follow one old principal - If you see it, you might buy it.
Old 12th November 2009, 13:29   #162
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBzzz View Post
India has certainly become the biggest car market in the world. This adv supports me, no need to dig in for facts now. Car cos are all here. VW trying to cover lost time in a ziffy. Though it was a bit too much in the end and now they might irritate customers by overdoing it.

I have not seen the TV commercials but if they are covering prime time (8-10 PM), they are trying to follow one old principal - If you see it, you might buy it.
The ad's lousy, and the lousiness stands out when you watch the porche 911 ad put up in one of the earlier post
Old 12th November 2009, 13:41   #163
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by H2O View Post
Here is the link to the said advertisement:
Welcome - Times Of India ePaper
Thanks for the link. Though i went through the scans posted on first page. i liked what i saw.
Old 12th November 2009, 13:46   #164
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CLS_55_AMG View Post
What an issue!

I was pleasantly surprised to see the cover of the TOI this morning, and what followed with the pages was staggering!

I am a big VW fan and was thrilled to see the marketing splash today.

My Jetta is now just over 3 months old and I have clocked about 3000 km. I will be posting a report on the same very soon.

Until then, I think VW made it very clear to everyone what they are about:

1. Safety
2. Innovation
3. Reliability
4. Performance
5. Build Quality ( this I can vouch for!! - The build quality of VW is not A grade, it is definitely an A+ grade! )

Most importantly, they made it clear that they are here to stay, with a state of the art manufacturing facility and a huge investment, they mean business. I only wish that they had mentioned that this year, until date, VW has sold 4.4 million cars worldwide, ahead of Toyotas 4 million, making them the largest manufacturer this year.

I hope this is only the begining of a phenomenon that has millions of followers worldwide!
About time to start a Jetta driving experience thread perhaps? 4k kms on the odo in four months time here.

Regards
Old 12th November 2009, 13:53   #165
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by d_himan View Post
5.3 Crores to be exact was the money paid for the 'roadblock' advertising. Definitely bang for the buck!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sahil View Post
A very reliable source confirmed a figure to be a little higher than your but well below 10cr. A good deal for an all india bang!
Yup, the talk is, it cost them 7 Crores to take over all those pages, I think that day TOI did not have any other advertisements.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks