Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 4th September 2013, 09:31   #8026
BHPian

re: The "USED" Car Price Check Thread. (Online tool : Page 1)

I have come across a 2002 OHC AT which has run about 43K kms in Mumbai. It is a 2nd owner car (transferred from husband to wife) and looks decently maintained. There is some rust on three door panels. The battery and front two tyres are new. Dunno about the age of the rear tyres.

Given that its an AT and an OHC, the heart feels its a good bet. Only issue being age of the car, availability of spares, AT issues etc. The buyer is relocating to the middle east hence the need to sell the car.

The targeted monthly running is about 400-500 kms. We are planning a local runabout for dad and the ladies at home (wife, sis-in-law). If the running of the car increases substantially, I will be getting CNG installed to reduce the running cost.

The cost of the car and the cosmetic fixes (rust on the doors) would be in the ballpark of 95K. Is the above car an overall good deal? What would ideally be the estimated resale value of the car, say 2 years down the line (given that it would be a 3rd owner car on paper)?
Old 4th September 2013, 11:08   #8027
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by indianv2 View Post
I have come across a 2002 OHC AT which has run about 43K kms in Mumbai. It is a 2nd owner car (transferred from husband to wife) and looks decently maintained. There is some rust on three door panels. The battery and front two tyres are new. Dunno about the age of the rear tyres.

Given that its an AT and an OHC, the heart feels its a good bet. Only issue being age of the car, availability of spares, AT issues etc. The buyer is relocating to the middle east hence the need to sell the car.

The targeted monthly running is about 400-500 kms. We are planning a local runabout for dad and the ladies at home (wife, sis-in-law). If the running of the car increases substantially, I will be getting CNG installed to reduce the running cost.

The cost of the car and the cosmetic fixes (rust on the doors) would be in the ballpark of 95K. Is the above car an overall good deal? What would ideally be the estimated resale value of the car, say 2 years down the line (given that it would be a 3rd owner car on paper)?
OHCs were never very comfy to sit in the drivers seat. The seating was way too low and uncomfortable for my taste. If its mostly to be used by dad and ladies at home, i suggest you look elsewhere. Besides, a 10yr old car is bound to have its share of niggles soon enough so i doubt its a good choice to leave at home for ladies/elderly. And i doubt it will get you any value in 2yrs when it will be 3rd owner and 13yrs old. Except dealers/first choice to quote something like 50k.

Also, i don't think CNG is a good idea anymore. It costs just as much to run a CNG car today as a diesel car. Plus i keep hearing this logic of the old cars not being meant to run on CNG which is a dry fuel. It may cause damage engine with long term use. But i'm yet to come across someone who did have some damage.

I would suggest you buy yourself an old reliable Zen.
Old 4th September 2013, 13:57   #8028
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by zulfi hansi View Post
Nothing special only that its the only 4x4 in my budget, moreover I am looking for a 4WD softroader not even a 4x4, XTrail is the nearest but even that is not available under 6 L here.
This is surely not the vehicle you are looking for. Try and find some better vehicle. If possible increase your budget a little and buy a new LX 4wd Scorpio.

Best,
Old 4th September 2013, 14:20   #8029
BHPian

What would be the price of a 3rd owner Indica DLE, yr. 2000 model that has run for about 88,000 kms(dont know how many times it has done that as it has a 5 digit odo)?. The condition seems ok and the interiors and the paint are really good. The engine though noisy seems to work quite nicely. The price quoted is 80,000 INR. Is it worth it???

Last edited by petroguzzler : 4th September 2013 at 14:22.
Old 4th September 2013, 14:22   #8030
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrongturn View Post
Hey Fellow Members,
I was looking for a SUV and one of my friend came across this Mitsubishi Pajero, make year 1990 being sold for 1.75L.
It's in Delhi so I haven't seen it in flesh but he said it's the top variant with sunroof.
Is it a good buy at this price, I assume spares would be hard to come by.
But at this price which looks good to me, is the vehicle worth it?
The roof is damaged and cant be rectified without heavy investment and expertise. In case of a roll over, it is not at all safe. SUVs inherently susceptible to roll. My suggestion is to stay away from it.
Old 4th September 2013, 15:03   #8031
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by petroguzzler View Post
What would be the price of a 3rd owner Indica DLE, yr. 2000 model that has run for about 88,000 kms(dont know how many times it has done that as it has a 5 digit odo)?. The condition seems ok and the interiors and the paint are really good. The engine though noisy seems to work quite nicely. The price quoted is 80,000 INR. Is it worth it???
Dear Petroguzzler,
Are you seriously thinking of buying it?

Best,
Old 4th September 2013, 15:09   #8032
BHPian

Urgent advice - i10 AT

What could be best offer as buyer for single owner, i10 AT - Asta, 38000km on odo, 2009 regd. Condition fair to good.

Urgent advice required as I would be travelling abroad tomorrow and wish to buy this for my wife prior that, perhaps tonight.
Old 4th September 2013, 15:14   #8033
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Why O why?
13 year old Indica?
You can get a Decent OHC for that Price.
Old 4th September 2013, 15:50   #8034
BHPian

Re: Urgent advice - i10 AT

Quote:
Originally Posted by sindabad.sailor View Post
What could be best offer as buyer for single owner, i10 AT - Asta, 38000km on odo, 2009 regd. Condition fair to good.

Urgent advice required as I would be travelling abroad tomorrow and wish to buy this for my wife prior that, perhaps tonight.
Dear sailor,
Anything between 2.5-3 lakhs should be a great deal. How much is the seller quoting? It has a sunroof?

Best,
Old 4th September 2013, 16:04   #8035
BHPian

I sold my 2005 model Esteem Vxi for 1.6L last Sunday. The car had run 67,000 km and was in Bangalore with an AP registration. The buyer is from Hyderabad. He came down to Bangalore, bought the car and drove back to Hyderabad. Sent me an SMS after reaching "Amazing Car".

I replaced the Esteem with a brand new Figo.
Old 4th September 2013, 18:14   #8036
BHPian

akshay4567 and theg2,

I actually drove the vehicle and everything seemed ok apart from the AC. The interoirs were particularly good and the suspension was in top shape.
Old 4th September 2013, 19:44   #8037
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
akshay4567 and theg2,

I actually drove the vehicle and everything seemed ok apart from the AC. The interoirs were particularly good and the suspension was in top shape.
My advice would be to stay away from it. Why pay 80k for a 13 year old car? You can get a much newer and more efficient vehicle for that price. That car shouldn't be valued at over 30-35k.
Old 4th September 2013, 19:57   #8038
BHPian

@coolkurt, the prices in chennai seem to be on the higher side. And what could be had for around 1lakh in the used car space???
Old 4th September 2013, 20:30   #8039
RSR
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
We had a 2000 model Indica DLE (5-speed) we bought new and sold it back in 2007 for Rs. 1.2 lacs. Back then, that was a reasonable price for a car that had done 75k kilometres (genuine) on the odo.

Is a similar car (that's 6 years older now, run more and has changed hands twice already) worth Rs. 80k now?

I would say a big NO! 2000 model Indicas are first-gen vehicles (not V2) whose owners (us included) were unfortunately used as guinea pigs by Tata Motors Early 2000 DLEs also came with 4-speed gearboxes. These pre-V2 Indicas came with a truck load of trouble, had high NVH levels, screeching noises due to slipping belts, plenty of engine problems (our engine went kaput twice - both times without any warning, requiring expensive work on its head), rock hard and noisy suspensions which gave up early due to the utterly inadequate 155/70R13 tyres, plenty of rough edges in its build etc. In short they were as bad and unreliable as a modern car can ever be

If I were in your place, I would not buy the vehicle even if the price was Rs.50k - it's just not worth the trouble. A petrol hatchback of the same age would be a much better buy. If you must have a diesel, I request you to consider newer V2 Indicas, which had some of the issues sorted out by Tata Motors - but even they have issues with unreliability and poor quality of critical parts.
Old 4th September 2013, 20:51   #8040
BHPian

Quote:
akshay4567 and theg2,

Quote:
@coolkurt, the prices in chennai seem to be on the higher side. And what could be had for around 1lakh in the used car space???
Dear Petroguzzler,
The suggestion me and some of the other friends here gave is based on the information you have provided us plus the little experience we have about cars. It is very much possible that the car is in much better shape than what the numbers suggest.
So if you think the car is in good shape and worth the money than go for it. Since most people would signal a "NO" looking at the data you have provided. Just try and negotiate as much as possible.

Caution - You will be the fourth owner of the car so any amount you pay for the car now and after buying it will be mostly dead money. Either you have to keep the car for life or sell it to the junk guys. ATB.

Best,

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks