Team-BHP > The International Automotive Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 2nd December 2018, 08:55   #451
Senior - BHPian

Re: New Suzuki Jimny in 2018

This video is amusing...that BMW isn't going any where

Last edited by Durango Dude : 2nd December 2018 at 08:59.
Durango Dude is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 2nd December 2018, 09:13   #452
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Durango Dude View Post
This video is amusing...that BMW isn't going any where

It's more a case of poor driving than vehicle inaptitude. Flooring it in the snow doesn't get you anywhere except sideways. Just yesterday I had a chance to witness a ham footed driver in a wagon r do the same thing with similar results. Maybe I should get a dashcam. Winter months in the Himalayas can make up for a nice compendium of stupid driver mistakes.
antihero is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 4th December 2018, 05:31   #453
BHPian

Greetings, BHP Members

I come from Czechia and have lived in Germany for 5 years so far.
It was there, in the city of Ulm, where I saw the current gen. Jimny at the beginning of October.

It had the Jungle Green paint and was equipped with the highest trim available. The dealership owner allowed me to take a Very short test drive even before the car became available.

New Suzuki Jimny in 2018-20181022_112610-copy.jpg

Shortly after the official introduction of the car to the market, another top-spec Jimny arrived to the dealership. It was ordered by a local forester/gamekeeper.

Having seen the Kinetic Yellow in person made me pull the trigger on it.

New Suzuki Jimny in 2018-20181022_112628-copy.jpg

Remembering the short test drive and all the datasheets, I knew what I was getting myself into. Namely the steering response and the whafty suspension characteristic.

New Suzuki Jimny in 2018-20181022_112623-copy.jpg

In comparison to my previous car - 2003 BMW 325ci, the Jimny will motivate me to attain a more cautious driving style. I am happy to have ordered the Jimny. It is due to arrive dec 2018 or jan 2019.

What you get in Germany is the wide axle Jimny in two trims: comfort and comfort+. It is the japanese Jimny Sierra 1.5 equivalent, since Germany only imports this version. No kei-car available, also the 0.66 3cyl turbo is not available.

Comfort+ trim features following items over the Comfort trim: the Suzuki infotainment unit, alloy wheels, tinted gate window and rear side windows, full LED headlights and camera-/sensor-based safety features.

New Suzuki Jimny in 2018-20181022_112617-copy.jpg

Aside from making me slow down my driving style, I also expect major drop in maintenance expenses. The BMW had had 270k ks on the clock and suspension parts such as bushings, bearings and shock absorbers were nearing (some exceeding) their lifetime. The Jimny in comparison has an overengineered rugged frame with quite simple suspension setup consisting of few components. It should last way longer than any commuter car/sports car.

The oil capacity on the BMW was 2liters higher and it had had two more cylinders, so the spark plugs and occassional coils kept the expenses high compared to my future Jimny.

I can not stress enough, that the K15 egnine being naturally aspirated INDIRECT injected, is quite a fortunate choice.

Also, the Jimny comes to Germany on universal mud/snow tire, I am looking forward to not having to change wheels/tires twice a year because of changing of the season. (it snows here a lot)

New Suzuki Jimny in 2018-20181023_120909-copy.jpg

I will be happy to post a short description of the test drive experience. This car is just something else...

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 4th December 2018 at 07:40. Reason: Smileys - 2 per post. Thanks. :)
wacso is offline   (25) Thanks
Old 4th December 2018, 06:47   #454
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

Quote:
Originally Posted by wacso View Post
Greetings, BHP Members
Thank you Wacso for the post. I love that forest green but your bright yellow will certainly stand out.

Wishing you many mile ahead in the Jimny. Keep posting and putting out pictures!

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 4th December 2018 at 07:41. Reason: Trimming quoted post. Please avoid quoting a large post = inconveniences small screen users. Thanks!
Old 5th December 2018, 18:54   #455
Distinguished - BHPian

Suzuki Jimny continues to retain its charismatic charm and pull crowds other than enthusiasts.

In UK alone bookings cross 10000, but only 600 lucky people can get the Jimny in the first half of 2019

Old 6th December 2018, 05:39   #456
BHPian

I figure you have seen MANY video reviews of the new Jimny.

Most of them, as you already know, are positive, sometimes the reviewers simply pick a random feature and talk it down just to keep things .:unbiased:..

There is a plethora of reviews, where the Jimny does not get to show its true potential and in my opinion, the reviewers also tend to misjudge the car. Some even said it was FWD with on demand rear drive.

However, there are a few occasions in the material that I have seen, that stand out:

Russians
The manufacturer had been secretive about certain technical data, including acceleration times.
The russian crew simply took care of that missing info:

Acceleration measurement with a V-Box: 0-100km/h in 13s a whole second faster than the JB53 Jimny

Acceleration 0-100km/h at 4:00

Top Speed at 14:12

Also at the beginning of the video, there is a nice segment, where they zoom in onto the car from far away while the reviewer demonstrates its truly minute dimensions.

Italians
Alhough coming from renowned YT accounts/oldschool printed media giants, some videos contained ZERO offroading. If there was any offroading being presented by major printed media players, it was restricted to moderate speeds and very light terrain.

Then these italian crews came along and pushed the envelope, taking the Jimny to its limits.

They even managed to get a few FEET OF AIR jumping over and obstacle. They also did break a rocker panel and almost tore the rear light off during a serious rock crawling/dry river bed driving test.
Note how the AllGripPro system does not react well to repetitive on-off throttle input. What other reviews advise is steady throttle and left foot braking in rock crawling situation.

The italians also did a great job inspecting the underbody.

The Jump at 0:27

Thorough underbody inspection at 0:17, axles, transfercase, suspension and ladder frame.

Rock Crawling scene at 1:35

Germans

Then come the Germans with their BIER TEST. A father-son duo perform a test where the Jimny drives over a traditional german beer glas.

Bier at 15:35

Latvians

Latvians test the Jimny on an array of portable obstacles. Lots of bystanders as this takes place at a city square. Jimny amazingly drives up a steep slope with both rear wheels AND one front wheel on rollers.

Roller test at 2:20 - this is not available for embedding

enjoy the videos and post your yt treasures. Stay open to non-english vids, the world is full of people with talent, language is not a border.

Last edited by moralfibre : 16th December 2018 at 07:54. Reason: Only two smileys permitted per post.
wacso is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 6th December 2018, 07:59   #457
Distinguished - BHPian

Suzuki Jimny starts sales in S Africa, becomes an instant hit. Demand soars but is constrained to supply.

Sells 174 cars and logs in 104 % increase on Y-O-Y sales.

Quote:
What insulates the Jimny from these competitors is an evolution of its proven off-road ability. Whereas the EcoSport and Duster are regarded as gravel travel vehicles, capable of journeying long distance on poorly maintained dirt roads, they are not true mountain and mud-terrain vehicles.

Suzuki Jimny to launch in Australia on 26th January. 200 pre-bookings on hand so far.

Link

Last edited by volkman10 : 6th December 2018 at 08:03.
Old 16th December 2018, 06:58   #458
BHPian

Sorry, got the wrong link for the BEER TEST

wacso is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th December 2018, 16:52   #459
Senior - BHPian

A new Jimny owners YouTube channel.

Link - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCSl...Jg?app=desktop

He has upgraded tires, installed a roof rack etc.
Old 17th December 2018, 21:09   #460
Distinguished - BHPian

Suzuki Jimny might not win the 2019 World Car of the Year, but it topped the league in terms of price, curiosity and sheer fun - a head turner in LA than a Jaguar I-Pace

Quote:
Is the humble Jimny the best all-new car in the world right now? No. Don’t be daft. But of the 37 cars at the disposal of the 48 hard-to-impress jurors, it topped the league in terms of price, curiosity and sheer fun. Astonishingly, it was the Suzuki-starved US jurors who seemed to love the Jimmy most, with several asking the crucial question: why don’t Jeep, GM and Ford build inexpensive (not the same as cheap), cheerful, but still credible small/urban SUVs like this?

Link
volkman10 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th December 2018, 08:13   #461
Distinguished - BHPian

Suzuki Jimny is no doubt a true blue off road vehicle and in being so has a compromised ride in city conditions.

Now H&R - Germany has a solution for that - a suspension kit.

Quote:
Interestingly, the upgraded suspension is not for owners who will frequently take the Jimny off-road.
Quote:
It targets those users who will drive the tiny SUV in the city most of the time. As a result, the H&R suspension kit features a new set of springs that bring the Jimny 45 mm (1.8 in) closer to the ground.
New Suzuki Jimny in 2018-1.jpg

Quote:
In addition to making the SUV look sportier, the new suspension lowers the vehicle’s center of gravity, thus enhancing handling, especially in sharp turns. Besides the springs, H&R offers a complete suspension upgrade that also includes a set of Koni shock absorbers and roll bars that are said to bring significant handling improvements compared to the stock model.

To further reduce body roll, H&R also recommends 3-way adjustable stabilizer bars with a diameter of 30 mm (1.18 in) for the front and rear axles.

New Suzuki Jimny in 2018-2.jpg
New Suzuki Jimny in 2018-3.jpg

Link
volkman10 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th December 2018, 08:17   #462
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Testing in the US found the Suzuki Jimny’s stability control could be triggered after the autonomous emergency braking system detected a guardrail when rounding a bend.

It is believed the Suzuki Jimny mistook the guardrail for another vehicle and repeatedly applied the brakes with force
Old 20th December 2018, 07:27   #463
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by humyum View Post
18 thousand quid for a Jimny Suzuki thinks too much of itself, this will never ever sell, first because Suzuki is a cheap brand in UK and secondly 17 thousand pounds is a lot of money for a thing like the Jimny!
Looks like people can't get enough of this small mountain goat even in the UK!

Suzuki Jimny waiting list now up to a year in the UK

Quote:
Originally Posted by autocar.co.uk
Demand has been so strong for the 1200 cars Suzuki UK has been allocated for 2019 that some dealers are no longer taking deposits, but are instead registering ‘expressions of interest’.

Suzuki UK says the bottleneck is at its factory in Kosai, Japan, where the Jimny is built for local and global markets.
Old 20th December 2018, 07:32   #464
Distinguished - BHPian

UK customers have to wait a year for Jimny as demand soars with constraints in Supply

For the first time reports now indicate Jimny could be manufactured in India from 2020, thus 2 plants will be producing Jimny apart from Kosai in Japan.

More engine variants and a 4 door Jimny can also be expected from India.

Quote:
Suzuki has said it will increase the UK allocation of cars to 2000 for 2020, either because it’s planning to fit more frugal engines or it because it will build the car at a second plant, possibly in India.
Suzuki allots 2000 units in year 2020 for UK.

Link

Last edited by volkman10 : 20th December 2018 at 07:35.
volkman10 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th December 2018, 09:43   #465
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by volkman10 View Post
For the first time reports now indicate Jimny could be manufactured in India from 2020, thus 2 plants will be producing Jimny apart from Kosai in Japan.
Please please please Maruti take my money and get me the car! I'm even willing to pay up today (booking amount only ) if that means an assured delivery in 2020! Thats just a year away considering we are at the end of 2018.

Quote:
Suzuki allots 2000 units in year 2020 for UK.
I hope the company comes up with more production. This looks like the reincarnation of the people's car. I think the older generation amongst us will relate to the 800 days of having to wait for months and at times years for the car!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks