Team-BHP > The International Automotive Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 6th June 2019, 02:25   #511
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thilak29 View Post
I wonder if increased global demand will push Suzuki to move some share of manufacturing to India which would eventually result in India launch inevitably.
I can only refer to the situation in Germany, which is sort of crazy.

There were 25 000 orders placed by the first quartal of 2019. Germany has an allocation of 5 000 cars. Of which very little had been delivered yet. Waiting time had grown to infinite. Last of the 5 000 customers that had placed their orders will be served in early 2020. Customers, that came afterwards WILL NOT GET THEIR JIMNY because there are only 5 000 units coming to Germany.

This is getting way out of hand, as customers go after USED demo-cars form dealerships sold for as much as 25% over market price on the internet. SUZUKI Germany has sent a memo to their dealerships, that the ordering process for Jimny is to be abolished. NO MORE ORDERS.

There are still 20 000 people who had placed an order and will never see their car.

Why?
WLPT: The new CO2 exhaust measures dictate, that the whole portfolio of one manufacturer may not exceed given levels: small cars, economy cars, premium cars etc. Suzuki builds economy cars and as such may not exceed a given amount of CO2 production. Jimny is not aerodynamic, has no start-stop system or hybrid module, no direct injection or turbos. Also no tall gearing or other tricks to artifically fake a lower fuel consumption score/CO2 score during the WLPT testing procedure.

And so, every Jimny sold here means, that SUZUKI needs to sell at least 10 much cleaner small cars to stay below the crazy limits set by the eco-norm. And so 5 000 Jimnies for Germany it is... People here reimport these form countries with lower demand like crazy. They reimport from countries, which haven't even introduced the car yet. And force a sell-out there.

The reason for such strong demand in Germany is, that there are no small offroads available and there is a lot of forester/hunter jobs and enthusiasts in Germany driving 4example: old Jimny, Samurai, 90s Vitaras, short Pajeros and even Lada Nivas looking for a better work tool. Jimny has a great legacy of 20 years in Germany, with no known weaknesses aside from RUST PROTECTION and POWER, which both get solved with the new JB74W Jimny.

A little sidenote: German market experiences delays longer than neighbouring countries ALTHOUGH Jimny got introduced first in Germany. The reason is, that ONLY GERMAN CARS get special UNDERCARRIAGE RUST PROTECTION. Germany is known to use very strong chemical mixture to melt snow on roads. For the last 2 years, there had been usage of chemical solution, capable of melting snow and ice in temperatures as low as -17°C, where normal salt never would have helped.
These chemicals naturally also react with metals and enforce oxidation process. So this is the reason that Jimny in Germany travels from the docks to a workshop, where it gets partially disassembled and covered with wax.

My car smelled of burnt wax for at least 3 000 km. Problably wax was also applied to parts of the exhaust system.

Quote:
Originally Posted by volkman10 View Post
Suzuki Jimny launched in Thailand as CBU from Japan!

Attachment 1863118

Link
I have put together the MANUAL TRANSMISSION data in this small simulation:

You can look up top speed per gear and usable peak torque in various gears in the XLS sheet that I made.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/sx66qaef8u...%20EN.xls?dl=0

LOW GEARS 1LOW and 2LOW are below 1HI.

Between 1HI and 2HI, there are 3LOW and 4LOW.

5th LOW is shorter than 3 HI.

The official TOP SPEED is lower than 5HI And 4HI theoretical top speed - so the car won't reach fuel cut-off limiter in any gear higher than 3rd HI (Aerodynamics?).

In comparison to our family´s short wheelbase JK Rubicon 2.8 CRD Manual 6g, the low transfer gear is quite high with 2.002 ratio on the Jimny.

Rubicon´s LOW is almost twice as low as on the Jimny. With Jimny, you can not really think of rock crawling, the pace is too fast and you use clutch way too much. Jimny does things fast and profits from the lightness though, so successful climbing over rocks can still be acheived, it just needs some decisive driving input and determination. The relatively hight low gear ratio also prevents owners form using bigger tires on the Jimny without going through painful process of changing axle ratios.

Last edited by benbsb29 : 6th June 2019 at 02:51. Reason: Merged back to back posts.
wacso is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 6th June 2019, 03:42   #512
BHPian

Re: New Suzuki Jimny in 2018

A few photos and some experience have gathered over the first 5 000 km and 4 months of ownership. Let me show you and elaborate:

The fuel consumption had settled down at a very nice 7,1 liters/100 km (14,1 km/l, 33 US mpg, 40 Imperial mpg).

The real world top speed and 0-100km/h are considerably better than tech-specs stated.

4x4 system works great, ability to shift in and out of 4wd is practical.

The stability system and anti-slip system can not be kept off at speeds above 35 km/h. I need to find a way to piggy-back this precaution, WINTER IS COMING and I want to enjoy the car in some sideways action.

Engine response is really brisk. There are no engines like this made nowadays. It literally feels like a good old manual cable throttle - no delays, no ironing of peak signals and compression of sudden throttle inputs.

There were also a few downsides to the new Jimny - at least in my point of view:

There is a loud knock/jolt coming from the steering wheel and pedal box when I drive off after heavier braking. A hardy-coupling (guibo) on the steering shaft is apparently causing sudden knock as the front axle settles after hard compression - braking. Current advice from the shop is, to bring it in and have it oiled. But as they told me, there are no dangers of any damage to the car if left as is. I should wait for a new service bulletin to arrive and it will most certainly present a solution via replacement for a redesigned steering shaft.

The driver side front blinker had had water in it, although I never drove through or forded any water. The dealer recomended replacement of the seal or, if necessary, the blinker cover.

The 5th gear likes to stay engaged :o
If I try to shift out of 5th, the lever often gets caught on the notch between 4th and 5th practically staying in 5th gear. I then need to re-clutch and put it back all the way into 5th, then retry taking it out of gear. I have tried many techniques. Nothing helped and naturally murphy´s law for demonstration of misbehaving mechanisms to a service technician had once again worked and the car drove normally, 5th gear in and out with one finger...

BUT all in all, the car is a treat. Offroad, there is nothing that could match it. It had left our JK Rubicon stranded in snow, even on its stock all-season tire vs proper offroad tires on the Jeep. Onroad performance is ok and it simply is a car that makes one appreciate the whole experience of driving. Everything works so mechanical, you hear a gentle pitching whine from the rear axle, the clutch is super light and throttle response reminds me of carburettor cars.

The only weakness might be, - like St.Pierre-White stated -, that the Jimny won't climb as well as long wheelbase cars, because of the pivoting centre of gravity. And the LOW gearbox has still quite a high ratio. 2.002 does not allow for bigger wheels without looking into axle ratios.
Attached Thumbnails
New Suzuki Jimny in 2018-img_20190506_193333-copy.jpg  

New Suzuki Jimny in 2018-img_20190313_115249-copy.jpg  

New Suzuki Jimny in 2018-img_20190516_130336-copy.jpg  

New Suzuki Jimny in 2018-img_20190517_105023-copy.jpg  

New Suzuki Jimny in 2018-img_20190329_150305-copy.jpg  

New Suzuki Jimny in 2018-img_20190425_182022-copy.jpg  

New Suzuki Jimny in 2018-img_20190425_182034-copy.jpg  

New Suzuki Jimny in 2018-img_20190517_104217-copy.jpg  

New Suzuki Jimny in 2018-img_20190525_133520-copy.jpg  

New Suzuki Jimny in 2018-img_20190522_163251-copy.jpg  

New Suzuki Jimny in 2018-instructions_6-flat-copy.jpg  

Last edited by khan_sultan : 1st July 2019 at 12:19. Reason: line spacing
wacso is offline   (24) Thanks
Old 6th June 2019, 03:45   #513
Team-BHP Support

Wow. A really nice review. Did not know that the law was so strict. This means, if I ever move to Germany, I cannot bring my 12mpg GX from the US? Not that I would want to. I will need a private oil well for the fuel
tsk1979 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th June 2019, 03:56   #514
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
Wow. A really nice review. Did not know that the law was so strict. This means, if I ever move to Germany, I cannot bring my 12mpg GX from the US? Not that I would want to. I will need a private oil well for the fuel

You can import foreign vehicles. Germany has no strict laws regarding import, such as the 25 years rule in the US. The only difficulty is, that you need to hire a company that rewires your car. Mostly it is to change the lights as in Germany, signal lights may not be red and must not use the same pattern as brakes. But as mentioned, there are companies that specially focus on that kind of work and help along the way towards Tech Inspecion. Tech in Germany is called TÜV and is very thorough. So it is good to get everything in good working shape before shipping the vehicle, since towing a car on a flatbed in Germany trying to get various systems fixed for cheap might be a headache.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post

The WLPT fleet CO2 limits apply to BRAND NEW CARS BEING CURRENTLY SOLD. If a company sells 10 ecologically targeted vehicles per one sportscar or offroad, they might get away with it. Do you understand the concept? The car makers have to project a strategy of selling just the right ammount of each model to still fall into the cheaper CO2 bracket. If they sell way too many of those with bigger engine or worse gearbox/aerodynamics, they will pay extra fines to the government and will fall into the more expensive WLPT CO2 bracket for the following year or quartal.

Last edited by tsk1979 : 6th June 2019 at 04:32. Reason: back to back posts merged
wacso is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 6th June 2019, 08:15   #515
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by wacso View Post

The WLPT fleet CO2 limits apply to BRAND NEW CARS BEING CURRENTLY SOLD. If a company sells 10 ecologically targeted vehicles per one sportscar or offroad, they might get away with it
Beautiful pictures and clear explanations of the local laws

I guess, Suzuki needs Toyota in Europe more than they need here in India, so why have they not yet launched a Toyota Jimny yet?

Back home, despite earning so much from India & controlling more than half of the total market share, Suzuki has literally done step-motherly treatment to Indian customers, wish we had some way to teach these guys a lesson. We don't even have a Petrolhead Minister who can ask Suzuki on what's happening? If Toyota can sell 100+ units of LC at 1,5 CR, can't Suzuki sell 500 of Jimny at 20 Lac

Last edited by Turbanator : 6th June 2019 at 08:17.
Turbanator is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 6th June 2019, 10:04   #516
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The WLPT fleet CO2 limits apply to BRAND NEW CARS BEING CURRENTLY SOLD. If a company sells 10 ecologically targeted vehicles per one sportscar or offroad, they might get away with it. Do you understand the concept? The car makers have to project a strategy of selling just the right ammount of each model to still fall into the cheaper CO2 bracket. If they sell way too many of those with bigger engine or worse gearbox/aerodynamics, they will pay extra fines to the government and will fall into the more expensive WLPT CO2 bracket for the following year or quartal.
We have something similar here in India too. It is known as CAFE (Corporate Average Fuel Economy) norms. Suzuki can still get away with this in India because most cars they sell here are nothing more than tin cans on wheels.

The CAFE norms might have played a major role in Toyota's Glanza sticker job.
longhorn is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th June 2019, 12:21   #517
Distinguished - BHPian

On popular demand and looong.. waiting periods now Suzuki Jimny to be made in India and Indonesia apart from its current Kosai plant in Japan.

New Suzuki Jimny in 2018-1.jpg

The Indian made Jimny will be exported to S Africa and Middle East region, and is not known yet explicitly if will available for the Indian market. But indications are positive as the engine is locally produced in both the countries.

Quote:
Indonesia can be an export hub for the ASEAN and East Asian regions, while India is for Africa and the Middle East region
Quote:
The engine K15B used by this car is also produced in these two countries, and in cost and market, both countries are promising.
Jimny will be sold in Indonesia initially through the CBU route, but will move to the CKD assembly soon.

Quote:
The local version, a.k.a. CKD, from Suzuki Jimny will catch up later in the day

Link

Last edited by SmartCat : 10th June 2019 at 16:22. Reason: as requested
volkman10 is offline   (14) Thanks
Old 11th June 2019, 08:40   #518
BHPian

At risk of getting a strike I say, this is literally like rubbing salt in our wounds. India is gonna make these cars but we Indians won't be able to drive them.
ashwin1224 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 11th June 2019, 12:41   #519
Distinguished - BHPian

Suzuki Jimny does a 1000 km run in desert ( Jimny Dessert Experience )- A five-day trip through the most authentic Morocco.

Quote:
- A test of more than 1000 kilometers through the desert to show that the new Jimny is still a reference SUV

-The suspension of rigid axles is ideal in the most broken and stony areas

-In fast tracks, again the Jimny is not the most comfortable of the SUVs, the rigid axles are too firm, but in return ensures a constant height and a robustness beyond doubt.

-And robust is also its interior, which despite the harsh treatment we gave it does not present any noise , and crunches of plastics and other mobile parts typical of cars little thought for these situations.

- if we have to look for a defect, it must be said that it will be adventures for two occupants, or at most three, as you can see, the space of Load is minimal.

Undoubtedly, this is a small SUV but with capital letters, with very few defects except those already discussed.

Link
volkman10 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st July 2019, 11:58   #520
Distinguished - BHPian

Suzuki Jimny Gan debuts in Italy, other markets will receive them as well.

Quote:
Jimny Gan takes its name of the Japanese word for strength and stubbornness, which is fitting. From what we understand, it's been modified by a tuner called Zanfi and sits 100mm higher, with new springs, painted bright green, shock absorbers, Panhard bars and a minimum ride height of 310 mm.

The Gan also boasts a detachable anti-roll bar, reinforced transmission shafts, differentials covers, and 30 mm wheel spacers, which carry larger 235/75 tires. Cosmetics have been improved with a cable holder, a lateral stone guard in light anthracite gray and various red accents
New Suzuki Jimny in 2018-5.jpg

New Suzuki Jimny in 2018-2.jpg

New Suzuki Jimny in 2018-3.jpg

New Suzuki Jimny in 2018-4.jpg

New Suzuki Jimny in 2018-6.jpg

New Suzuki Jimny in 2018-7.jpg

New Suzuki Jimny in 2018-8.jpg

Link

Last edited by volkman10 : 1st July 2019 at 12:02.
volkman10 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 2nd July 2019, 09:18   #521
BHPian

Quote:
A few photos and some experience have gathered over the first 5 000 km and 4 months of ownership. Let me show you and elaborate:
Thanks a lot.
One question: Is it possible to manually switch off front passenger airbag? Since the car is two door, one may need it while carrying kids or sick in the front seat
Old 17th July 2019, 08:20   #522
Distinguished - BHPian

Suzuki Jimny delivers the First JIMNY for Thailand!

Total Jimny's allotted for Thailand was 90 units. All sold in 6 days. Especially the limited edition All New Suzuki Jimny, only 30 cars, were quickly owned by the owner within 3 hours .

Prices for the First 90 fans in Thailand- 1,650,000 baht (AT), price 1,550,000 baht (MT)

New Suzuki Jimny in 2018-news201907111621441.jpg

New Suzuki Jimny in 2018-s__56934492.jpg

Link

Last edited by volkman10 : 17th July 2019 at 08:25.
Old 18th July 2019, 08:16   #523
Distinguished - BHPian

Suzuki Jimny in Dubai, but with a difference!

New Suzuki Jimny in 2018-someoneturnedthes7_1600x0w.jpg

New Suzuki Jimny in 2018-someoneturnedthes5_1600x0w.jpg

New Suzuki Jimny in 2018-someoneturnedthes6_1600x0w.jpg

This one aftermarket company from Dubai decided to see what the final product would look like if they were blended into one - Suzuki Jimny turned into a Smaller Mercedes -AMG G63!

Link

Last edited by volkman10 : 18th July 2019 at 08:17.
Old 20th July 2019, 15:38   #524
BHPian

The Jimny Tough Concept - displayed at GIIAS 2019

yum yum.

New Suzuki Jimny in 2018-giias2019_suzuki_jimny_tough_concept1_bm1200x800.jpg

New Suzuki Jimny in 2018-giias2019_suzuki_jimny_tough_concept6_bm1200x800.jpg
jailbird_fynix is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st July 2019, 17:54   #525
Distinguished - BHPian

The super successful Jimny completes One year of its launch ( 5th July)

New Suzuki Jimny in 2018-65620018_1055116071349055_8886622377232826368_n.jpg

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks