Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 16th January 2012, 19:07   #601
BHPian

re: It's Me and My Honda City i-VTEC - It's Us Against the World! EDIT: Sold!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluevolt View Post
Engine oil is changed at second service which is at 5000 KMs.
Thanks Guys, since my second service just got over today (before I saw your posts), I will do this in the third service. I don't think I will even cross the 5,000 KMS mark then.
Old 16th January 2012, 19:57   #602
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by bharatbs View Post
Thanks Guys, since my second service just got over today (before I saw your posts), I will do this in the third service. I don't think I will even cross the 5,000 KMS mark then.
But do keep in mind that engine oil change (or any consumable replacement for that matter) is time-critical too; not just kms-critical.

So, even if you don't cross 5k kms, do change the oil after every 6 months.
Old 16th January 2012, 21:57   #603
Senior - BHPian

Guys Can I get the exhaust tip (as in V variant) as after market stuff? The OEM costs around 2-3K. Is this thing available from local car accessory market?
Old 17th January 2012, 01:25   #604
BHPian

Quote:
Guys Can I get the exhaust tip (as in V variant) as after market stuff? The OEM costs around 2-3K. Is this thing available from local car accessory market?
Bluevolt,

How will a chrome tip prevent the corrosion of the actual exhaust tip?

The corrosion can only be prevented by preventing acid formation in the exhaust-ie proper warming up. A chrome tip is just an add on-just another way of squandering money on cars.

Is replacing your original ORVM with the ones with turning indicators possible? Will it serve any actual purpose apart from enhanced style?
charthom is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th January 2012, 10:04   #605
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by charthom View Post
Bluevolt,

How will a chrome tip prevent the corrosion of the actual exhaust tip?

The corrosion can only be prevented by preventing acid formation in the exhaust-ie proper warming up. A chrome tip is just an add on-just another way of squandering money on cars.

Is replacing your original ORVM with the ones with turning indicators possible? Will it serve any actual purpose apart from enhanced style?
Thanks charthom for the eye opener post. Chrome tip was in my mind only for aesthetic purposes. I wax the exhaust tip to prevent it from corrosion and it keeps shining.

Quote:
Originally Posted by charthom View Post
+1, it's just waste of money.

Your post saved my money.
Old 17th January 2012, 11:05   #606
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Racer_X View Post
Hello Vtecguy,

I am in need for the Honda Mugen logo as my chrome one is almost turning white. It would be great if you could pass me the vendor details.

I have been following this thread quitely as a spectator for quite some time and really impressed with the knowledge and experience of i-VTEC owners. I have a 2009 i-VTEC and will be completing 3 years in Feb.

Hello Guys!!

Please help me with the procurement of the Honda Mugen logo, provide details of the vendor so that I can purchase it.

Planning to give my City for servicing coming weekend. There is some weird noise coming from the left backside, near the fuel lid area. Guys have anyone of you faced similar problem?? Advise will be helpful.
Old 17th January 2012, 11:24   #607
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hello Guys!!

Please help me with the procurement of the Honda Mugen logo, provide details of the vendor so that I can purchase it.
I guess Ace & Vtecguy can help you on this (PM them). You can try some online shops like ebay for them.

Quote:
Planning to give my City for servicing coming weekend. There is some weird noise coming from the left backside, near the fuel lid area. Guys have anyone of you faced similar problem?? Advise will be helpful.
Let the Honda guys TD the car and rectify the source of noise.

Last edited by bluevolt : 17th January 2012 at 11:27.
Old 17th January 2012, 14:53   #608
BHPian

Quote:
Engine oil is changed at second service which is at 5000 KMs and after this @every 5,000 KM you have to change engine oil. I will suggest you to use mineral oil only. And if your car is yet to be serviced then do get the oil changed.
My Honda City (Dec 2010 model) has covered just 6K and I'm about to give it for the 12 months service. My SA changed the oil to synthetic during the 6 months service (car had run around 3.5-4K at that time). He said Honda "recommends synthetic oil for the new model honda city" and mineral oil is used only for old model honda city. I was not sure if mineral oil was an option, so I went ahead with synthetic. But now I can see that mineral oil is indeed an option.

Just wanted to get an opinion from you folks. Do you recommend that I change back to mineral at 1 year service? My running is just about 500 km/month - mostly short trips (8Kms one-way to office). Honda charges around 2.2K for synthetic (which is kind of less, isnt it? - which makes me suspect whether it really is synthetic or a blend) whereas mineral oil comes to around Rs 950.
Old 17th January 2012, 16:54   #609
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ar@v1nd View Post
My Honda City (Dec 2010 model) has covered just 6K and I'm about to give it for the 12 months service. My SA changed the oil to synthetic during the 6 months service (car had run around 3.5-4K at that time). He said Honda "recommends synthetic oil for the new model honda city" and mineral oil is used only for old model honda city. I was not sure if mineral oil was an option, so I went ahead with synthetic. But now I can see that mineral oil is indeed an option.

Just wanted to get an opinion from you folks. Do you recommend that I change back to mineral at 1 year service? My running is just about 500 km/month - mostly short trips (8Kms one-way to office). Honda charges around 2.2K for synthetic (which is kind of less, isnt it? - which makes me suspect whether it really is synthetic or a blend) whereas mineral oil comes to around Rs 950.
I guess Honda uses only semi-synthetic oil and not fully synthetic which costs a lot more than semi-synthetic.

Also since your running is low there is no point in going for synthetic or semi-synthetic. Mineral oil is just fine for our car. My running is around 7-8K KM per year but still use mineral oil.

Do get the engine flushed thoroughly and switch back to normal oil.
bluevolt is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th January 2012, 17:43   #610
Team-BHP Support

Quote:

IIRC, the replacement schedule for synthetic oil is 1 year as against 6 months for mineral.

So, you don't have to go in for oil change during this service but the next one; that is 6 months later.

I suggest you clarify this with your SA and switch back to mineral only in the next service.

And remember, you are the one who makes the choice; not the SA. Don't give in to their "recommendations" when it comes to such things.
Old 17th January 2012, 18:15   #611
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ar@v1nd

I recommend going back to mineral. My SA at Pearl Honda did tell me (while he recommended me Synthetic ) yes you can go back without any issue. My running is similar yours and thus I stick to mineral. In long term use cleaner newer mineral is better than used synthetic.

All the best!
Old 17th January 2012, 18:20   #612
Senior - BHPian

One thing should be noted that Honda don't use fully synthetic oil - it costs way over 4-5K. It is the semi-synthetic oil which they use.
Old 17th January 2012, 18:26   #613
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by libranof1987 View Post
IIRC, the replacement schedule for synthetic oil is 1 year as against 6 months for mineral.

So, you don't have to go in for oil change during this service but the next one; that is 6 months later.

I suggest you clarify this with your SA and switch back to mineral only in the next service.

And remember, you are the one who makes the choice; not the SA. Don't give in to their "recommendations" when it comes to such things.
I think they use semi-synthetic like bluevolt mentioned. I asked the SA about replacement interval for "synthetic" oil and he said just like mineral oil, it is 6 months/5K.

About "recommendation", the way he said it made it sound like new city comes with synthetic and everyone uses synthetic, so it's like a very unusual thing to use mineral oil for a car which is designed to take synthetic. Typical sales talk and I fell for it

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sn1p3r View Post
I recommend going back to mineral. My SA at Pearl Honda did tell me (while he recommended me Synthetic ) yes you can go back without any issue. My running is similar yours and thus I stick to mineral. In long term use cleaner newer mineral is better than used synthetic.

All the best!
Thanks, I'll ask them to do a flush and switch back to mineral.

I also had a question about the 3 months service interval. That is also not required for warranty right ? (I remember reading somewhere that 6 months interval is enough). Again SA told me 3 months service is "recommended" but his boss told me 6 months will do if the usage is very less but I dont find the warranty terms written anywhere (on their website or manual). It's kind of a grey area.
Old 17th January 2012, 18:46   #614
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

I also had a question about the 3 months service interval. That is also not required for warranty right ? (I remember reading somewhere that 6 months interval is enough). Again SA told me 3 months service is "recommended" but his boss told me 6 months will do if the usage is very less but I dont find the warranty terms written anywhere (on their website or manual). It's kind of a grey area.
Well, the 3 month checkup is simply not required IMO nor it is possible. How can they expect customers to waste one full day every three month and pay just for a wash?

I will stick to 5K KMs/6 month interval rather than 3 month checkup.

Last edited by bluevolt : 17th January 2012 at 18:51.
Old 17th January 2012, 19:12   #615
BHPian

Quote:
Well, the 3 month checkup is simply not required IMO nor it is possible. How can they expect customers to waste one full day every three month and pay just for a wash?

I will stick to 5K KMs/6 month interval rather than 3 month checkup.
Me too but I was just hoping I can see it in writing somewhere that service interval is 6 months/5K for warranty to be intact.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks