Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 7th December 2021, 21:32   #136
BHPian

Re: Disabling the 80 / 120 kmph speed warning alerts

Quote:
Originally Posted by agambhandari View Post
I hope you are aware that all modifications are illegal as per the current MV Act.

Remap- illegal
Exhaust- illegal
Lowering springs- illegal
Upsized tyres- illegal
Wrap- illegal
Bullbars- illegal

Where do we draw the line? It is a senseless rule and if somebody has the patience to contest it, they are welcome to. But let's be real that's not happening anytime soon. If somebody want to modify their car to make it better suited to their taste, for off road or track use, they surely can I think
Are all these regulations in place for nothing ? , most of us not knowing an iota of rational behind it just take the law for ride based on our own whims and fancy. It just goes on displaying our technical illiteracy and disrespect to law authority.
Old 7th December 2021, 21:44   #137
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASP_73 View Post
Are all these regulations in place for nothing ? , most of us not knowing an iota of rational behind it.
I respect your views but tell us why do we need beeps at 80 when the speed limits are 100/ 120 at highways ?

All across the developed countries, one gets pulled over or get a Ticket if one is going beyond 8-10% of the speed limits and here after driving on Kms of broken stretch, we are penalized even if we are going 1% beyond the limits. And the authorities who themselves make the rules, have you seen their convoy speeds?
Turbanator is online now   (20) Thanks
Old 7th December 2021, 22:09   #138
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASP_73 View Post
Are all these regulations in place for nothing ? , most of us not knowing an iota of rational behind it just take the law for ride based on our own whims and fancy. It just goes on displaying our technical illiteracy and disrespect to law authority.
Yes, such rules are largely in place for no good reason. You have to remember that the people in charge of making our laws are the same people who thought it was a good idea to i) render a great deal of currency useless for no good reason and without any notice (leading to severe economic downturn), ii) force migrant labourers to walk to their native villages in peak summer (effectively a kind of genocide), among other things. If that is the "law authority" you wish to respect, by all means go ahead, but please do not expect others to be as willing to get trampled over by imbeciles.

Quite to the contrary of what you are saying, it's the laws in India that are made on the basis of whims and fancies. What ordinary people do to cope with the whims and fancies of our great leaders is actually far more rational and considered. No lawmaker knows anything of import about automobiles, and a large number of anti-modification laws are simply the result of corporate pressure. Good modifications, that make cars safer and more pleasurable to drive, or better looking (or simply less annoying, re. speed chimes), ought to be celebrated on a forum for enthusiasts.

Car culture in India is very much in its infancy as compared to other countries. We may lack in options for cars or parts, but we cannot be said to lack in enthusiasm or drive. The more people wish to tinker with their vehicles, the more willing to flout the law to do something interesting or different, the better that is for the culture and for all of us.
karanddd is offline   (16) Thanks
Old 10th December 2021, 17:51   #139
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by karanddd View Post
Yes, such rules are largely in place for no good reason. You have to remember that the people in charge of making our laws are the same people who thought it was a good idea to i) render a great deal of currency useless for no good reason and without any notice (leading to severe economic downturn), ii) force migrant labourers to walk to their native villages in peak summer (effectively a kind of genocide), among other things. If that is the "law authority" you wish to respect, by all means go ahead, but please do not expect others to be as willing to get trampled over by imbeciles.

Quite to the contrary of what you are saying, it's the laws in India that are made on the basis of whims and fancies. What ordinary people do to cope with the whims and fancies of our great leaders is actually far more rational and considered. No lawmaker knows anything of import about automobiles, and a large number of anti-modification laws are simply the result of corporate pressure. Good modifications, that make cars safer and more pleasurable to drive, or better looking (or simply less annoying, re. speed chimes), ought to be celebrated on a forum for enthusiasts.

Car culture in India is very much in its infancy as compared to other countries. We may lack in options for cars or parts, but we cannot be said to lack in enthusiasm or drive. The more people wish to tinker with their vehicles, the more willing to flout the law to do something interesting or different, the better that is for the culture and for all of us.
Honestly where is this going? One may not like a particular law but breaking one is not going to help you in any country. One thinks they have enough merits to a case, then approach the court? No one has stopped one for doing it. This has nothing to do with car culture here, this is more of indiscipline culture that is deep rooted. Fact that flouting road rules one can get away easily. How many folks here never crossed a legal speed limit while driving? No one is a Saint. Still one can get a license even with knowing how to drive, this is systematic issues.

Simple example though it is not a law but more logical is to maintain some distance between your and vehicle ahead. How many does it? In fact more vehicles gets rear ended at < 10 kmph.

Even accepting the fact car culture is new can the same be said about bike culture? Nearly 80% of bikes on the road never put a indicator. How many time hasn't a biker not jumped Infront of you to cause panic breaking?

Will this rule help or not reducing road accidents? I don't have an answer immediately, but certainly annoying sound will let you slow down car after sometime.

Who break laws and gets away is trivial to the thread.

Also do remember the enthusiast forum also means lot of responsibility riding on individual shoulders of forum members. The same forum also never advocates breaking rules. Let's be responsible as few words here can have a everlasting impact on young minds.

Bad law needs to be challenged at appropriate forum, ranting here on it and advocating one will not have any positive impact.
CircleOfLife is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 30th December 2021, 08:57   #140
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by AYP View Post
Code6 Mumbai(Mates & Mods) have been doing it for sometime now. If they can do it for the Fortuner, I am quite sure that they can do it for the Crysta too.

I'd suggest you all to contact the nearest Code6. However, if this service is being provided exclusively by Mates & Mods, then a trip to be Mumbai will have to be planned. Still worth it IMO for the 'peace' of mind, especially for the folks living in the Southern, Western and the Central region. Link-

https://www.instagram.com/p/CWOKkj_t...dium=copy_link
An update Re Code 6

Beep removed from 2021 Jeep Compass diesel A/T; Innova Crysta and Fortuner Legender 4x4

Been speaking to them for a few of my friends and in the last 4 - 6 weeks, we have removed the beep from a Legender 4x4 as well as a Toyota Innova Crysta. Incidentally he also upgraded paddle shifters on my friend’s Crysta for him. Most importantly the elusive compass also got its beep removed.

Please speak to him closely on the method though. In the compass in particular, since there are some other warning beeps that also get sacrificed in this process.

I don’t have any affiliation with Code 6. Heard of them from the above post, spoke to them and have then directed a few friends for the job. Just posting here because at least personally I have been trying to find out the disabling mechanism for Jeep but to no avail.
Axe77 is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 4th January 2022, 13:03   #141
BHPian

Happy to report, I was able to disable this for Hyundai Tucson 2020-21 facelift. It should be safe to assume that it's probably similar for other Hyundais and Kias . Unfortunately the method is quite agricultural and involves disconnecting the speaker that is responsible for these warning sounds. And as you can imagine, you lose some other warning sounds with this method. The most useful ones that you lose are the turn indicator tick-tock and seat belt warning sound. Also hand brake warning sound is gone but that's not such a big issue with an automatic.

For those interested, the speaker is located behind the panel below steering column. It's somewhat hidden on the left side. And you will probably need some dexterity and flexibility to disconnect if you don't want to remove a bunch of components. It involved disconnecting a white connector that's glued to the side of the speaker itself
Disabling the 80 / 120 kmph speed warning alerts-img_20220104_125051__01.jpg

Remove the screw marked by arrow and pull only the left side of the panel away from connector. Its flexible enough to create space for your hand to go through. There is enough space only for one hand so you will have to feel your way around. Luckily pull tabs for the connector are outward facing so pressing them and gently pulling should do the trick. I didn't pull the connector completely out so that reconnecting is quite easy.

Will be happy to post pictures of the connector and speaker if anyone is interested.
needmorebhp is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 4th January 2022, 17:48   #142
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by needmorebhp View Post
The most useful ones that you lose are the turn indicator tick-tock and seat belt warning sound. Also hand brake warning sound is gone but that's not such a big issue with an automatic.
How about parking sensor warning beeps ?
Old 4th January 2022, 18:08   #143
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarav100 View Post
How about parking sensor warning beeps ?
Those continue to work.
needmorebhp is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th January 2022, 10:51   #144
BHPian

Quote:

Will be happy to post pictures of the connector and speaker if anyone is interested.
No offence meant, but I dont understand why people do this "will post more pics if anyone is interested" thing. I mean if you dont put the exact pics, then its not complete as a post IMHO. Feels like the "how to draw an owl" meme.

As a community (any community) we grow when we teach others what we know - surely if you can add one pic, 2 more are not too much additional effort?

Again, no offence meant to you personally, just voicing a peeve of mine.

Last edited by Transmission : 6th January 2022 at 10:53.
Transmission is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th January 2022, 10:58   #145
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Transmission View Post
As a community (any community) we grow when we teach others what we know - surely if you can add one pic, 2 more are not too much additional effort?
It's actually quite a bit of effort to post additional pics in this case because I will have to reopen the panel and take pics because I didn't take any when actually doing this (was too excited to finally not hear those warnings). Also, this work required both hands and all fingers at once. No one was around to hold the camera. So it makes sense to fix the phone/camera somewhere to take a pic only if someone is asking for it.
needmorebhp is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th January 2022, 11:09   #146
BHPian

This thread should be locked and deleted. The warning chimes are there for a reason. As responsible citizens and automotive enthusiasts we should refrain from removing/disabling the warning chimes. Indian roads are not meant for high speeds (even though the country has developed some amazing road infra over the years).

@GTO: Please delete this thread. India already has one of the highest road accidental deaths in the world. The warning chimes have been mandated by the GoI. Hope you understand.

Thanks!
kushagra452 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th January 2022, 11:40   #147
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kushagra452 View Post
This thread should be locked and deleted. The warning chimes are there for a reason. As responsible citizens and automotive enthusiasts we should refrain from removing/disabling the warning chimes. Indian roads are not meant for high speeds (even though the country has developed some amazing road infra over the years).
Removing a speed limiter is one thing, removing a warning is another. Just like others opposing this, I feel this reaction is going overboard. Is there any KPI which has shown that accidents have reduced after introducing this warning? The presence of the warnings would not prevent someone from crossing 120 if they really want to. Hence, while its completely ok to respect the law, one need not force their views on others.
audioholic is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 6th January 2022, 12:44   #148
BHPian

Quote:
Happy to report, I was able to disable this for Hyundai Tucson 2020-21 facelift. It should be safe to assume that it's probably similar for other Hyundais and Kias .

Hi,
I have a Kia and I am desperately looking to disable it. So could you please share pictures of the connector and speaker?

Thanks
Old 6th January 2022, 13:55   #149
BHPian

Quote:
This thread should be locked and deleted. The warning chimes are there for a reason. As responsible citizens and automotive enthusiasts we should refrain from removing/disabling the warning chimes

The warning chimes have been mandated by the GoI. Hope you understand.
I am all for the spirit of your post but its not that cut and dry to decide this one. If it really is so important to have all cars have speed limiters, then why arent existing cars not being forced to retro fit them?

It was only recently that the concerned minister himself voiced support for 140kmph on certain roads. Was he wrong then? So should we suddenly then make it okay for people to remove them? Safe driving is not just about some random number limits, its a process.

Is there any data or evidence to suggest that people are not likely to driver over 120KMPH if the warning chimes are present? Or can one ask the opposite - people who overspeed might do so anyways, and now are also distracted/annoyed by the buzzer and therefore are ever so slightly worse drivers?

I'd never care to remove the 120KMPH buzzer myself simply because I dont care to drive that fast, but the topic of removing an annoying buzzer is not so cut and dry the way I see it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by audioholic View Post
Removing a speed limiter is one thing, removing a warning is another. Just like others opposing this, I feel this reaction is going overboard. Is there any KPI which has shown that accidents have reduced after introducing this warning? The presence of the warnings would not prevent someone from crossing 120 if they really want to. Hence, while its completely ok to respect the law, one need not force their views on others.
+1 to this stance on this issue. We should always promote safe driving practices. But thats not just about wearing seatbelts (which one should) drive safe (also which one should) not overspeed (also true). And plenty of roads have speed limits over 80, and the buzzer does beep once at that limit too, so it may irk someone I suppose.
Transmission is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 6th January 2022, 14:08   #150
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

@GTO: Please delete this thread. India already has one of the highest road accidental deaths in the world. The warning chimes have been mandated by the GoI. Hope you understand.

Thanks!
If this thread needs to be deleted, then team-bhp needs to delete all the threads related to modifications like the ones talking about remapping and everything.

I don't think it is required to be done in an automobile forum that values diverse opinions and interests.

Personally, I will be super frustrated with any warning system that I cannot disable. I am a human and not a machine or a microcontroller that has to act blindly according to external input. I don't need a dumb machine to keep issuing warnings even when I am able to make rational decisions to survive in this dangerous world. I might breach the speed limit of 80kmph while driving, and that doesn't always mean I am playing with my life and others' life on the road.

I will look for every possible hack to disable the speed warning in my vehicle if it had one that couldn't be disabled by the layman user. Fortunately, my car doesn't have it.

Last edited by clevermax : 6th January 2022 at 14:13.
clevermax is offline   (5) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks