Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 29th January 2008, 20:20   #76
Senior - BHPian

Congrats rippergeo, next you need a FFE

Quote:
low end seems to have lost some of its pep.
That is maybe since the turbolag is lesser, so lesser silence before the strom.
Old 29th January 2008, 20:26   #77
rippergeo

@busa
the turbo lag had lessened considerably after the tuning box, and i was expecting a further improvement after the green wind. that has not happened.

i read somewhere that at lower RPMs a large amount of air rushing in will lead to a loss of power. is that what's happening?

now, the drop in performance is not noticeable easily, and I'm sure my 0-100 timings would have still improved by a good margin.

the problem with turbo lag occurs mainly in 2nd gear. this probably due to the large gap in the gear ratios between 1st and 2nd.

@busa- stop egging me on about the FFE,its not going to happen

next project- alloys and upsize- but that will be many months down the line.
then better discs from tarox
then- maybe a bigger intercooler and a heat shield that peter was talking about.
and then -suspension mods from gabriel
and then-maybe, just maybe-FFE.

this is going to take a few years.
and a lot of cash.

Last edited by rippergeo : 29th January 2008 at 20:33.

Old 30th January 2008, 10:56   #78
Senior - BHPian

hey ripper no use of FFE if you are looking for sound but maybe it can bridge some gap due to the turbo lag.try it with peter and then decide.
ram
Old 30th January 2008, 13:10   #79
rippergeo

FFE is last on my list of mods, whole process of modding is going to take atleast 5 years.

Old 10th March 2008, 22:19   #80
rippergeo

out with the old, in comes the new!
my filter(the filthy one) has been given for cleaning and a shiny new one has been temporarily popped in place by peter and his guys.
5000kms of hard running can do that to a filter!
[img=http://img227.imageshack.us/img227/4390/10032008533ha2.jpg]
By rippergeo

Last edited by rippergeo : 10th March 2008 at 22:20.

Old 10th March 2008, 22:27   #81
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by rippergeo View Post
out with the old, in comes the new!
my filter(the filthy one) has been given for cleaning and a shiny new one has been temporarily popped in place by peter and his guys.
5000kms of hard running can do that to a filter!
[img=http://img227.imageshack.us/img227/4390/10032008533ha2.jpg]
By rippergeo
Make it disappear ?

Can't see the image
Old 10th March 2008, 23:04   #82
Team-BHP Support

oh thats nothing. Believe me. Ive seen worse. Lol
Old 11th March 2008, 21:32   #83
rippergeo

here's the pic
posting it directly to the thread according to new rules
Attached Thumbnails
My Peted Swift-10032008533.jpg  

Old 12th March 2008, 22:50   #84
rippergeo

just got back from a night drive through the city, on my way back, it started raining cats and dogs. in front of indus motors at thevara, the road was flooded(maybe 2-3ft of water)

This meant i had to splash straight through the flood at the highest possible speed

normally, this kind of idiocy does not cause trouble.

but, midway through my late night swim, i realised, my car is not stock, it uses a CAI!!!!! as if on cue, i lost revs, and engine responsiveness.

images of a cracked engine block/blown turbo flashed through my head! panic!!

downshifted to 1st, the tacho had been hovering at 800-1000rpm in 2nd and was refusing to climb. the downshift seemed to work, the revs climbed and so did my car, i crawled out of the flooded road. the car still refused to rev in 2nd or 3rd for the next 30 secs or so. it was revving in 1st without sputtering.

then it just seemed to fix itself. now runs fine.

moral of the story-
Dont be an idiot! the swift is not an off roader(though i treat it like one)

questions for the techies
1.the car's fine now- but have I damaged anything?

2.should I change the position of the CAI from behind the gearbox and turn it upwards and draw air from a bonnet scoop?
what are the pros and cons of that?

3.general question-what happens when water enters the air intake during running?

Old 12th March 2008, 23:44   #85
Team-BHP Support

1: Please get it checked ASAP, though i feel that so much of water hasnt entered, maybe soaked the filter. Still inspect the filter first and then check if water has entered further.
2: This is a problem with CAI, ie once you move away from stock filters. Best is to install a snorkel induction from a place where water doesnt enter. Bonnet point is good, but then again ensure you have a collector and drain point also for rain water, though this will eventually kill the air flow.
3: D I S A S T E R, blown innards!! I think you know the consequence from the way you posted. Bent con rods, cracked pistons etc can happen.

Last edited by Jaggu : 12th March 2008 at 23:46.
Old 13th March 2008, 13:54   #86
BHPian

Hi Rippergeo,
in on of the posts you have mentioned that you have cleaned the Air filter by yourself...it would be useful for me if could you put some instructions (if possible with few pics) on how to clean the air filter.

i asked the servicing guys to instruct me during my last service but they scared me saying that its not advisable to do by ourself and i dont believe that...

thanks
Old 13th March 2008, 16:10   #87
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebmrajesh View Post
Hi Rippergeo,
in on of the posts you have mentioned that you have cleaned the Air filter by yourself...it would be useful for me if could you put some instructions (if possible with few pics) on how to clean the air filter.

i asked the servicing guys to instruct me during my last service but they scared me saying that its not advisable to do by ourself and i dont believe that...

thanks
Your car on Stock air filter?

If yes, then follow this:

1) Switch off the car, remove keys (to avoid error codes)

2) Unplug the air flow sensor wire on top of the filter cover, there is a clip which you need to lift before you unplug

3) Remove screws off the air filter cover, 4 if i remember correct

4) Loosen the C clip screw for the hose that connects on top of the air filer cover

5) Lift the cover carefully

6) Remove the air filter

7) Blow pressurized air from inside>out of air filter, vacuum cleaner exhaust will also work. And under light pressure all around it, wipe off the edges

8) Take a moist cloth (NOT wet and dripping) and wipe the inards of the air box and the cover

Retrace your way back the steps from 6 to 1, opposite of what you did

Enjoy
Old 13th March 2008, 22:00   #88
rippergeo

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebmrajesh View Post
Hi Rippergeo,

I asked the servicing guys to instruct me during my last service but they scared me saying that its not advisable to do by ourself and I don't believe that...

thanks
you should not try my method, definitely not advisable, I just removed the filter and banged it against a coconut tree.
I was planning to put in the CAI the next day, so I felt I could afford to be rough with the stock filter.
I had just opened the filter to see what the condition was, and was shocked to find it caked with dirt.I couldnt just leave all that dirt there, so I did what I could under the circumstances and used locally available materials(coconut tree).

jaggu's instructions are better than any I could give you.

@jaggu- removing and cleaning the stock filter does not need unplugging of the sensor.
all you have to do is unscrew the lid(4 screws) take out the filter. the sensor can remain attached, just make sure you don't tug on the wires.

have not had the chance to get the car looked at after yesterday's misadventure. just returned from a 450km trip. will show it to peter tomorrow.

In case anyone is wondering, No, I didnt drive the swift, I used my brother's endeavour. I may be stupid, but not that stupid.

Old 13th March 2008, 22:15   #89
Team-BHP Support

Yup you dont need to remove the wire, but its for precaution. If it snaps with accidental lug n pull, then it becomes a pain, why take a chance for 5 sec job.
Old 25th April 2008, 22:50   #90
rippergeo

have recently started commuting on the NH47 4 lane highway, from cochin towards cherthala.

I usually travel between 80-100 on this road,but my speed hardly ever drops even in traffic, I manage to slip through the gaps.
as far as possible i overtake on the right, but if people persist in hogging the overtaking lane while crawling at 50kmph, inspite of flashing lights and honking, I take them from the left.

80-100 is not a rash speed for this road, and is easily attainable by the most inept drivers even when they are driving rust buckets ready for the junkyard.

which means, all these idiots, who are doing 60, even the ones driving swank new sedans, speed up when they see me in the RVM, try to block me, or start racing the moment I pass them.

I dont mind if they kill or maim themselves while trying to keep up with me, but I definitely dont want them scratching my car.

what I usually do is a put on a nice burst of speed to accelerate from 80kmph in the 5th to 140kmph(which is great fun-i admit)

this usually destroys the wannabe racer's morale and they leave me alone, so that I can settle down to my usual speed of a 80-100.

wondering if there is a better way to avoid getting drawn into these kind of pissing contests.

dont tell me not to overtake a car travelling at 60-80, because, that defeats the purpose of having a highway.

PS-people driving stock swifts, can you tell me if your car smokes above 120kmph(on regular diesel)

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks