Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 17th January 2008, 23:35   #61
rippergeo

Quote:
Originally Posted by BUSA View Post
Hve you noticed the sound of the engine increase trenmendously after 120kmph? Peted or not, there is more sound after 120kmph.
yes there is sound, but nothing more than what was already there. actually, beyond 100kmph in stock form, the swift's NVH was noticeable, but now i can take it upto 120 and feel the same NVH as i used to feel at 100.

at 130-140 the engine roar is embarrassing, but its a diesel from maruti, what should we expect?
the same speed in the verna is quite quiet.

I think the roll on timings is where the peted swift is going to excel.
its nice to see cars struggling to keep up in the RVM

will do some timings tomorrow if i get the chance.
CAI looks like its happening next week.

Old 17th January 2008, 23:40   #62
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rippergeo View Post
hey ram, are you getting ideas? a pete's on a getz CRDI? and i thought i was mad.

I am thinking I can hold off on the alloy wheels and get the petes box. A little extra torque never hurt nobody
Old 17th January 2008, 23:48   #63
rippergeo

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrnsss View Post
I am thinking I can hold off on the alloy wheels and get the petes box. A little extra torque never hurt nobody
good decision, the torque doesnt hurt anyone except the competition.

a bent steel rim can be straightened, but a cracked alloy....?
also, how much of a performance boost can an alloy give?

ram, is there an ABS version on the getz?

Old 18th January 2008, 00:15   #64
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
ram, is there an ABS version on the getz?
There is no ABS version of the Diesel Getz, yet! But expect one sooner or later.

Quote:
now i can take it upto 120 and feel the same NVH as i used to feel at 100.
Bingo buttttttttttt i was talking about

Quote:
at 130-140 the engine roar is embarrassing
Quote:
its nice to see cars struggling to keep up in the RVM
Nice to see cars struggling in the RVM and you struggling to see the RVM with all that smoke
Old 18th January 2008, 00:32   #65
Senior - BHPian

How are the NVH levels on the swift D when compared to the petrol version, say when you are driving at 100kmph? in the petrol version it was actually very comfortable with the a/c on. (i was not driving the car, was merely in the passenger side)
Old 18th January 2008, 05:19   #66
rippergeo

the noise at 100 is not bad, if you are in 5th. if in 4th, you will be forced to turn up the ICE. if in 3rd, you might need earplugs.

vibration is noticeable in 5th at a 100kmph but not as bad as most diesels.

what I'm trying to say- at a 100 in 5th gear, its slightly noisier than the petrol. but at speeds above 120, it is noisy. wifey will find out that I'm having fun with the engine. then its game over.

rpm wise- 3000-3200rpm and above, its noisy- very noisy. but that was the case even before pete's.

i think, we notice the roar at those rpms now because the engine is so free revving, it gets there quicker and stays there longer.

if i drive it the way i normally do(before pete's installation) ie upshift at 2700rpm- the only noise is the turbo whine(I liii....ke) and the tyre noise

@BUSA- the smoke is beyond 140kmph, and I dont travel at that speed unless overtaking, and its not as bad as you say till i cross 150. but anyway, all of that should be fixed after the CAI right?

Last edited by rippergeo : 18th January 2008 at 05:22.

Old 18th January 2008, 08:37   #67

congtars on the upgrade. i also would like to install petes and cai on my swift ddis, can i get it done in hyd or should i go to petes.cochin. please tell me is it worth it.
Old 20th January 2008, 07:38   #68
rippergeo

Quote:
Originally Posted by nischalreddy View Post
congtars on the upgrade. i also would like to install petes and cai on my swift ddis, can i get it done in hyd or should i go to petes.cochin. please tell me is it worth it.
peter has dealers in most of the main cities. i think you should PM him. maybe you can get it done in hyderabad itself. if its just the box, you might be able to do it yourself. i 'm hopeless at mechanical stuff, so i took it to peter. the CAI will not be an easy job for us. best left to professionals.

the box is useful and is totally worth it if you have a lot of highway driving to do. in city driving its useful because of the throttle response it gives. makes it easy to exploit gaps in the traffic.

most fun is on the highway.
I still drive at the same speed as before, ie-100, but i can reach 100 a LOT quicker(from a rolling start) also, if i need to overtake, there is a lot of reserve left(brilliant acceleration from 100 to 140 in 5th) making overtaking easier.

also the rev range is better now. previously, my usable power was between 1800 and 2800. now i can rev upto 3500 and still produce useful torque- that comes in handy when you are in a tight situation during overtaking and you cant afford to upshift and lose time, you can hold that gear for longer and escape.

eg-I'm overtaking a bus,in 3rd gear and doing 70kmph in the stock swift, I will have to upshift at 80 in order to accelerate and get past him. this usually means, i upshift when the nose of the car gets level with the driver seat of the bus. i am forced to do so, as at that point, the stock swift runs out of breath and begs to go to a higher gear(4th) this means i lose momentum at a critical time, even though its only for a split second.

after peteing
in the same situation, if i see that i cannot afford to lose that spilt second during upshifting, I can stay in 3rd gear, and the car pulls willingly upto 110kmph in 3rd.

now if you want concrete numbers- after peteing-
mileage has gone up by 0.8kms
0-100 has improved by 1.3secs
roll-on timings will show the greatest improvement- but have not had the time to do so.

Old 20th January 2008, 20:07   #69
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
(brilliant acceleration from 100 to 140 in 5th)
Get the green and test the same, you will be pleasantly suprised. I suggest you use a stock watch and check the roll on times and then compare it with Green.
Old 20th January 2008, 21:26   #70
rippergeo

Quote:
Originally Posted by BUSA View Post
Get the green and test the same, you will be pleasantly suprised. I suggest you use a stock watch and check the roll on times and then compare it with Green.
I'm thinking I shouldn't get the green CAI, warranty will become a problem wont it? how are you managing warranty issues? should i wait for that swift diesel K&N stock replacement that has been coming for the last 6 months?

Old 20th January 2008, 23:03   #71
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rippergeo View Post
I'm thinking I shouldn't get the green CAI, warranty will become a problem wont it? how are you managing warranty issues? should i wait for that swift diesel K&N stock replacement that has been coming for the last 6 months?
AFAIK warranty will not be affected by installing Green. My dealer also said the same thing. Check with your dealer.
Old 29th January 2008, 16:44   #72
rippergeo

Green Wind installed

got that done! the hell with the warranty, where there is a will there is a way. none of the modded cars i know have faced problems. anyway, peter has told me that he'll remove and refit before each warranty claim, if i have any.

here is a pic
[img=http://img82.imageshack.us/img82/7683/29012008371dl1.th.jpg]

inspite of zak telling me how to post the entire image, all i'm able to do is post links.

I have already done 1000kms with the pete's box and it is addictive.

notes on performance with the new Cold air intake will come after the 5th of february by which time I should have done another 1000kms with the green filter installed.

Old 29th January 2008, 17:52   #73
Senior - BHPian

[IMG=http://img82.imageshack.us/img82/7683/29012008371dl1.th.jpg]

testing....

and the headers? are there any headers for diesels?

Last edited by govigov : 29th January 2008 at 17:55.
Old 29th January 2008, 18:51   #74
Team-BHP Support

rippergeo you must be a happy man. the filter changed the whole engine note and it starts sounding pleasing not strained at the redline. enjoy my friend.
Old 29th January 2008, 20:13   #75
rippergeo

Like busa said, the high end is amazing. as soon as the turbo kicks in the car takes off down the road. that is in all gears. most fun is in 5th. from 80 upwards the car feels like its got rockets fitted on the boot.

the engine is more relaxed and revs more freely(I didnt think that would be possible after the dramatic improvement with just the tuning box)

there is considerably lesser smoke than before

cons-

low end seems to have lost some of its pep. it still feels quicker in turbo lag territory compared to the stock swift, but compared to my previous configuration with only the pete's box, the lower end is slightly worse.driveability however, remains excellent.

since the engine is now more free revving, i have a tendency to downshift and floor it, rather like a petrol car. this might impact my FE. will test over the next 1 week and let you guys know.

@govigov-thanks for the image. how do i put up a full size one on the thread itself? never mind, I'll call you at some ungodly hour and find out. i'm not gutsy enough to try playing with the exhaust. and i think I'll stop modding for sometime. Vit M deficiency.

@akshay- you bet I'm a happy man. when i was a schoolkid, i used to go to bed dreaming of modding cars. now actually being able to do so, in india, the feeling is indescribable.

Last edited by rippergeo : 29th January 2008 at 20:17.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks