Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 25th April 2008, 23:42   #91
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by rippergeo View Post
PS-people driving stock swifts, can you tell me if your car smokes above 120kmph(on regular diesel)
while cruising no, heavy acceleration a lil but not noticeable through RVM
Old 26th April 2008, 06:46   #92
rippergeo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
while cruising no, heavy acceleration a lil but not noticeable through RVM
its all very well showing a clean pair of heels to other users on the road, but the air behind the car isnt very clean while flooring it at 120.
smoke is visible in the RVMs. whitish/bluish smoke, seen as a haze. people following me will be thinking I'm burning coal and still going faster than them

Old 26th April 2008, 10:42   #93
Senior - BHPian

I have seen black smoke coming out of most crdi diesels when flooerd hard. But have never seen Whitish or Bluish smoke. White/Blue smoke is never a sign of healthy engine. Are you sure it's not black?
Old 26th April 2008, 14:37   #94
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
what I usually do is a put on a nice burst of speed to accelerate from 80kmph in the 5th to 140kmph(which is great fun-i admit)
Even though Snowflake isnt Pete'd I had a great fun on my first highway run. All the cabbies would want to lead and I would let em all pass, enter toll gate and then its bye bye to everyone.

Only other chap who could keep ahead was a BRAND new Captiva from Mangalore who was burning the road, Id let him overtake me at about 140 and he would pull away in no time
Old 26th April 2008, 15:16   #95
Team-BHP Support

since peted expect lil black smoke,bit no way white smoke. Get it checked.
Old 26th April 2008, 18:03   #96
rippergeo

through the RVMs and the tinted glass,it looked bluish. its different from the last time i took it to 140,that was clearly black, and there was tons of smoke. really like a steam engine but that was without the green CAI.
now the qty is really less, but colour I'm not so sure of.
will get some one to tail me and see what colour it really is.

Old 27th April 2008, 23:27   #97
Senior - BHPian

Why are you guys watching the RVM for the color of smoke at 140?

Be looking to the front, will you fellas?
Old 28th April 2008, 00:31   #98
BANNED

Ha ha ha! Good one there Kuttapaa.

Did you mention WHITE somewhere? Get it checked as soon as possible. If it happens to be true, then run to Peter and then to Popular.
Old 28th April 2008, 06:24   #99
rippergeo

Quote:
Originally Posted by kuttapan View Post
Why are you guys watching the RVM for the color of smoke at 140?

Be looking to the front, will you fellas?
thats probably why I hadnt noticed the white smoke till now.
normally look in front while driving at 140.
happened to glance at the rear and saw white smoke.

anyone remember what colour the smoke was during our last drive?

Old 28th April 2008, 22:05   #100
rippergeo

It's Magic

had gone to willingdon island on sunday afternoon with my brother following me in the verna. he confirmed that I had white smoke, and lots of of it.
inspite of that, I was still keeping up with the verna till 140.

the engine was loud and sounded like it was going to bust at that point.

Now for the "MAGIC"

SMSed peter early morning today, and showed up at 10.00AM at his adda.
if he was sick and tired of my whining, he definitely did not show it, he was still cheerful, still understanding and still very patient with all my stupid questions.

instant diagnosis- clogged air filter.
I had not thought of that possibility because I had cleaned it only 1500kms ago.

some of you might remember my misadventure one rainy day. I had noticed the revs refusing to climb in 1st gear while fording 2-3 feet of water. problem solved itself after 30 secs, and the car was fine and I didnt bother to check it. the water in the filter made it clog up faster with dirt.

since then I had not been taking the car beyond 100kmph anyway because all my running was within the city,so I didn't notice the trouble.

Peter popped in a new filter while the old one stayed with him for cleaning.
VOILA!!!!
car races to 140 with ease, and there is no smoke visible in the RVMs.

had the chance to test the mid and top end, this evening on my commute towards cherthala.

there were 2 cars racing each other, a black verna and a black swift LDI(they were probably doing a 100) I didn't want to get involved and they were slowing me down, so I overtook them at 140.

I looked back in the RVMs(yes I was safe, kuttappa!). they had stopped racing each other and were stunned for a few secs. then they set aside their differences and came for me

Didn't have any trouble getting away from them. I took the U turn near my clinic 10kms later and was parking my car when these two cars sped by.
Boy, I felt smug!!!!

I smoked them both! minus the smoke! yeah!
time for a mileage check. that 4 lane brings out the worst in me and my swift.

forgive me if I sound like a kid,going on and on about my acceleration, but this car is the nicest thing I have ever bought for myself, and that tuning box makes it soooo much better.

PS- special thanks to A S H V I N who discouraged me from going back to semi synthetic from synthetic. the engine sounded rough because of the air filter, not because of oil degradation. Thanks

Old 28th April 2008, 23:31   #101
rks
BANNED

Quote:
had gone to willingdon island on sunday afternoon with my brother following me in the verna. he confirmed that I had white smoke, and lots of of it.
inspite of that, I was still keeping up with the verna till 140.

the engine was loud and sounded like it was going to bust at that point.
You are damaging your engine when running it hard in that state.

Quote:
Now for the "MAGIC"

SMSed peter early morning today, and showed up at 10.00AM at his adda.
if he was sick and tired of my whining, he definitely did not show it, he was still cheerful, still understanding and still very patient with all my stupid questions.

instant diagnosis- clogged air filter.
I had not thought of that possibility because I had cleaned it only 1500kms ago.

some of you might remember my misadventure one rainy day. I had noticed the revs refusing to climb in 1st gear while fording 2-3 feet of water. problem solved itself after 30 secs, and the car was fine and I didnt bother to check it. the water in the filter made it clog up faster with dirt.
Don't you feel your car has become less reliable? If so, you *should* be annoyed about that. I am very hesitant to mess wtih the air intake and stock filter in my car because I fear precisely this kind of scenario. I have gone through 2 feet deep water a few times in the past and my Santro didn't let me down. I suspect that for your high-performance requirements, even slight clogging of the filter can have bad consquences, and this is bad for reliability of the car.
Old 29th April 2008, 06:44   #102
rippergeo

Quote:
Originally Posted by rks View Post
You are damaging your engine when running it hard in that state.

Don't you feel your car has become less reliable? If so, you *should* be annoyed about that. I am very hesitant to mess wtih the air intake and stock filter in my car because I fear precisely this kind of scenario. I have gone through 2 feet deep water a few times in the past and my Santro didn't let me down. I suspect that for your high-performance requirements, even slight clogging of the filter can have bad consquences, and this is bad for reliability of the car.
No! I dont think the car has become less reliable. I should have recognised the signs of a clogged filter earlier. I didnt.

normally the CAI lasts 5000kms before a clean. this time, it was the water that did it in.the trade-off is much better performance vs increased maintenance. and all of this didnt cost me anything. peter did everything for free, and it took only 15 mins.

like your santro, my swift didnt let me down either, it was still fast enough to keep up with a verna CRDI with a clogged filter.I doubt the santro would have been able to do that. the white smoke was unburnt diesel.

there are no serious bad consequences as far as i can see. its the equivalent of running rich. maybe slightly more deposits.
anyway below a 80-100, with a clogged filter, I was giving my dad's verna nightmares. without any large qties of smoke. it was only beyond 120 that I saw smoke.

and now, after the filter was cleaned, there is no smoke even at 140.

thank you, but I'll keep the CAI. just have to be careful in water. i dont mind.

Old 29th April 2008, 09:13   #103
Senior - BHPian

How has the car become become less reliable ? I fail to see the logic here.

Yes ripper needs to be a little more careful but that doesnt mean its less reliable??
Old 29th April 2008, 10:39   #104
Team-BHP Support

why dont you first upgrade your tyres, to something more logical for a car like yours!! or did you already upgrade?
Old 29th April 2008, 14:17   #105
rippergeo

@jaggu
I'm running 185/70 R14 bridgestones. ran out of money for 15 inch alloys.
I find the tyres very good.

no wheelspins except in hard launches in 1st gear. great braking. have locked my tyres just once in the last 15000km of hard driving,when panic braking from 120(I was accelerating when I had to brake). even then, the car held its line and recovered instantly when i eased off the brakes.

never skidded, or had the rear step out unless it was intentional.

Unless I upgrade the brake discs and pads, and find that the tyres are not providing sufficient traction,I dont plan to upsize.

However, saying all this, I'm conscious of the fact that I dont have ABS, and the tyres could be wider, so I do avoid situations where I have to brake very hard.

I think better tyres and brakes will make me rash. atleast now, I'm scared to take risks.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks