Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 19th August 2013, 14:40   #931
Senior - BHPian

Re: The Zen Modifications Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by hishetty View Post
Called Sai Colorium and they quoted 40K for Paint and Extra for tinkering
I was a regular over there, I can vouch for the quality work they do at SAI COLORIUM, but the rates have gone roof top at Sai now.
On my Honda Activa, A simple front fender scratch painting was quoted at 1800Rs + tax, I'm sure I can get the same paint quality from showroom service for less price.
It's no more affordable. For the same price(or even less) one can get it done at Showroom workshops if you negotiate.
Old 19th August 2013, 19:49   #932
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by saket77 View Post
...painting in the showroom colour is a better way to go, since it will not call for legal implications from
I am planning to stick with silver, only the shade will change slightly (the shade that gaddiwale has on his ZEN http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/modifi...ml#post1114360. Even a shade change will involve paperwork with RTO? If yes, i'll stick with the original silver.

Quote:
Since, you are not convinced with the job of that particular service center, I suggest you look out for others. Will not hurt much in case you have to shell out 4-5K more, but will surely hurt if the car is not restored to your satisfaction
You have a valid point

Quote:
Originally Posted by sushrutha View Post
the rates have gone roof top at Sai now. It's no more affordable. For the same price (or even less) one can get it done at Showroom workshops if you negotiate.
I think i'll get it done at Nexus then. Their workshop is just a stones throw away from my place so if there are any problems later i can always take it back to them.
Old 21st August 2013, 15:19   #933
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I am planning to stick with silver, only the shade will change slightly (the shade that gaddiwale has on his ZEN http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/modifi...ml#post1114360. Even a shade change will involve paperwork with RTO? If yes, i'll stick with the original silver.
I think that its an OE colour of the Zen which existed along side with the Miami Gold color (which is actually not gold but silver). This, IMO, will require an RTO permission. However, small changes like a more 'silvery' silver can be overlooked, but not this one. I have seen a lot of non-OE silver shades on a Zen. They do look good while being close to the factory colours.
saket77 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd August 2013, 22:16   #934
BHPian

Got my car back from Automechs today and Naveen did an excellent job at a very reasonable price Most rattles have now been fixed and the only ones that remain are from the dashboard which Naveen mentioned will be fixed when i give the car for painting since the complete dashboard will be removed and refitted. He also mentioned something about removing and refitting the door panels to eliminate additional rattles and this again could be done when the car gets painted. I am thinking of damping all doors when i do the ICE job.

One of the options he mentioned was about a process where the entire wiring in the car is removed, the extra wires from aftermarket/repair jobs are trimmed to size, taped joins are replaced by wires running the full length and finally the wires are arranged, grouped and housed inside hoses (hollow pipes). He mentioned the process would take 3 days and costs around 4K (not cheap). End result - no loose dangling wires. I am tempted but i wanted to hear from fellow bhpians if 1. Is it safe to do so 2. Is it worth the cost?

Any suggestions on getting the shine back on the faded exterior black plastics? I suggested that we replace them (including door handles) but Naveen was of the view that painting them should have the desired effect. Again, any suggestions bhpians?
Old 23rd August 2013, 10:52   #935
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Any suggestions on getting the shine back on the faded exterior black plastics? I suggested that we replace them (including door handles) but Naveen was of the view that painting them should have the desired effect. Again, any suggestions bhpians?
You can check that by applying vinyl polish to the black plastics. It can surely add to the shine, but if the colour is itself faded, it will either need a restoration or change. Since, you are going to get the beauty repainted, I say go for body coloured bumpers. Zens look best in single colour, but the downside is that those inevitable scratches will damage the paint on bumpers.

Regarding the wiring, original wiring kits are available for a Zen. You can buy those, if the one in your car is damaged.
Old 23rd August 2013, 12:15   #936
Senior - BHPian

Any idea if is it possible to get AC vents for the Zen? Mine got broken thanks to the air freshner clip (looks like workshop guys tried to adjust it when the clip was wedged between two slits!)
Old 23rd August 2013, 12:22   #937
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by zenren View Post
Any idea if is it possible to get AC vents for the Zen? Mine got broken thanks to the air freshner clip (looks like workshop guys tried to adjust it when the clip was wedged between two slits!)
That's a freak damage! I don't know if that is available OTC, but if its not, then salvaging it from a total loss car would be a better idea.
Old 23rd August 2013, 13:23   #938
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by zenren View Post
Check out the nearest MGP outlet. If the guy there tries to evade some hard work to search for the minuscule part (low value part= low profit margin), then insist him to handover the hard copy of parts manual for zen and search for it and indicate him the part you needed. I am pretty sure maruti must be providing it separately.

Once identified, chances are the nearby MGP outlet wont be having the part off the shelf. But they can certainly order the same from gurgaon warehouse and provide it to you in a few days. Deposit some advance with the MGP store to assure them that you would be buying the part for sure.

Try not to go for salvage parts since a salvaged plastic part too would be at-least 10 yrs old with deteriorated/faded plastic and would not serve the purpose well. Please update your experience on the same.

Regards
Grr7 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th August 2013, 20:53   #939
BHPian

Quote:
You can check that by applying vinyl polish to the black plastics
I have decided to defer the paint job by at least two months. Till then this going to be wifeys training pod. Keeping fingers crossed . BTW i was at Nexus today and their quote jumped from 30K to 60K+ . Essentially everything is replace and paint for them. So that's ruled out as well. Further browsing the forum got me to Trend Automobiles which seems worth checking out. I'll update if something positive comes up.

Quote:
Regarding the wiring, original wiring kits are available for a Zen. You can buy those, if the one in your car is damaged.
I rethought about this and looks like this is not required since the wiring in my zen is intact and whatever few wires are left dangling, i think i can fix them as a DIY.

I got the wheel balancing and alignment done and the folks there informed that one of the rear shocks is damaged and needs replacing. Went to Nexus from there and they quoted 1.2K for a new shock. I also decided to fit the LHS rearview mirror (INR 600) and replace the mudflaps as well. All this is scheduled for Monday along with a full interior cleaning by EcoCarCare. I had got my i20 cleaned by them a month back and they had done a fab job. Hoping this will also take care of that odor you get due to moisture from the ongoing monsoon. I remember there was a thread somewhere on the forum on how to keep your car smelling good. Will have to dig it out. From Nexus off i went to my accessory guy Car Shringar @ JC Road and got the stock 50/60 bubs swapped with the Osram 100/90 Rally ones with the relay kit, replaced the wipers with the Bosch ones and also got the cabin light changed to the white LED one. The cabin lights up pretty well now. Also talked to a guy there who agreed to change the entire carpeting on the car for 1.8K. This again is scheduled for Monday. I finally ended my mission for the day with a visit to the Autocop store to replace the buttons on the remote which had got chipped over the several years of usage and they happily replaced it for INR 230 So now they are back to stock.
hishetty is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th August 2013, 21:34   #940
BHPian

Quote:
I rethought about this and looks like this is not required since the wiring in my zen is intact and whatever few wires are left dangling, i think i can fix them as a DIY.

Also talked to a guy there who agreed to change the entire carpeting on the car for 1.8K. This again is scheduled for Monday.
Hey,

I do not see a point in replacing the entire wiring if there are no electrical troubles. Wondering what could be all the extra dangling wires around in your car unless extensively modified in poor taste (eg. extensive ICE, ECU swapping by non professional guys). And if there are any waste dangling wires, the best is to remove them from the place they are attached and insulate their point of connection from the original wiring.

For the quality of carpeting, please confirm at M.A.S.S, maruti has done a wonderful job by providing most of the spares of Zen at a not so costly price. So, you may get the MGP quality carpet which should be a better fir for a cheaper price and get it replaced from an upholster by paying some labor charges.

Regards
Grr7 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th August 2013, 12:40   #941
BHPian

Thanks Grr7 for the tip on the MGA carpet for the Zen. I will be checking with them first thing tomorrow. Regarding the dangling wires, they are result of a local Audio shop my dad went to (the Zen was his ride till now) when he got a cheap Chinese HU plonked in. Really shoddy job. However, i will be upgrading the HU in a couple of months so not too much bothered about that now.
Old 26th August 2013, 10:22   #942
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks Grr7 for the tip on the MGA carpet for the Zen. I will be checking with them first thing tomorrow.
The nice thing about the Zen is that the spares are very reasonably priced. I changed my car's carpet inside the boot with MGA; costed only Rs. 450/- The carpet covers the boot and the backside of the rear seats, hence is not small by any standards.

Also, just a tip, if the carpet is in acceptable state and not torn anywhere, what you can do is get the car upholstered by grass mats. It will cost you almost the same but is a good thing to have. It does not get dirty soon, is very durable and looks good. With some creativity, you can get the entire floor well covered, without old carpet showing itself at any place. Heck, its pretty easy to clean too!

Regards,
Saket
Old 26th August 2013, 14:12   #943
BHPian

Hey guys , picked up 2003 zen lxi which will be converted to a E-zen . To make the car handle better heard that changing to gypsy rear shocks to the rear of the zen will help but what about the front , will changing to diesel zen D diesel help .

What other options to stiff up the suspension to improve handling?
Old 26th August 2013, 15:18   #944
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by karizma9292 View Post
Hey guys , picked up 2003 zen lxi which will be converted to a E-zen . To make the car handle better heard that changing to gypsy rear shocks to the rear of the zen will help but what about the front , will changing to diesel zen D diesel help .

What other options to stiff up the suspension to improve handling?
Do upgrade the brakes too. I think someone on the forum has installed Esteem's braking system on the Zen. Remember, with additional power, you need adequate braking too.
saket77 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th August 2013, 16:56   #945
BHPian

Iam in urgent need to replace my brake pads in my 99 carb zen. Team could you let me know which brake pads non OEM is the best. Also what would be the cost as well.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks