Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 22nd March 2017, 11:31   #2131
BHPian

Re: Front windscreen sunfilm?

Quote:
Originally Posted by amalji View Post
Could you please share the specific model number that you are using ? 80% VLT and 50% Heat rejection seems to be too good to be true.
I just checked Garware websites and I could see 2 models with 80% VLT)
I have just cross checked with the dealer once again now. Garware icecool comes in two variants of green & grey shade. Green shade has 70% VLT & 50% heat rejection and the grey shade has 80% VLT & 45% heat rejection. Initially I have selected the green shade & in the last minute changed it to the grey shade. I'm really sorry for the miscommunication.
Old 23rd March 2017, 11:53   #2132
BHPian

Hi,

The glass area in Endeavour is very large and it is almost unmanageable as the heat is increasing.

Any recommendation for the putting sunfilm in Hyderabad? I'm planning to get CR70 all around.

Also, any idea of the cost of fixing CR70 on Endeavour size SUV?

Thanks.
Old 23rd March 2017, 12:20   #2133
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nrahul View Post
Any recommendation for the putting sunfilm in Hyderabad? I'm planning to get CR70 all around.

You can certainly get 3M car care, it will be expensive but well worth it.
hserus is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd March 2017, 12:25   #2134
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hserus View Post
You can certainly get 3M car care, it will be expensive but well worth it.
3M car care is asking for 32K. I'm not sure if I should spend so much for something that is not even legal. How are people dealing with legal aspect of these films?

Thanks
Old 23rd March 2017, 12:38   #2135
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
3M car care is asking for 32K. I'm not sure if I should spend so much for something that is not even legal. How are people dealing with legal aspect of these films?

Thanks
There are some approved grades - or at least, in practice, grades that the cops will not bother about, compared to heavily darkened films or tints.

If you want a cheaper option there's always Garware which is fairly decent.
hserus is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd March 2017, 18:01   #2136
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
3M car care is asking for 32K. I'm not sure if I should spend so much for something that is not even legal.
Just to understand the logic - if it was cheaper, you would be fine with something which is not legal?
vinit.merchant is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd March 2017, 18:39   #2137
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinit.merchant View Post
Just to understand the logic - if it was cheaper, you would be fine with something which is not legal?
Yes. If I get caught, the cop will most likely remove the film as I am not going to pay the bribe. Its simple cost-comfort trade-off i.e. how much I am willing to pay for protecting my family from harmful UV and heat knowing very well that it might be short lived?
Old 23rd March 2017, 19:02   #2138
JLS
BHPian

Quote:

I can vouch for Garware, did on my Ertiga, 6K for all glasses - front screens, windows, rear glass and all. You can not sense by looking at car, whether any film is there or not.
And it is definitely effective in blocking heat. Can't compare with 3M, but it is definitely effective and value for money. Serving me well since Oct 2013.
While driving in sun, I see many other vehicles putting news paper, cloths in window, however for me, on same road, I am able to bear that same sunlight without any additional shade, thanks to this Garware film.
Regards,
JLS
JLS is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd March 2017, 21:19   #2139
Senior - BHPian

Sun film is completely banned and there are no approved grades.

Cops do allow the lighter tints to breeze through except when there is a drive going on, then there is no escaping their clutches and the films even the lightest ones are simply torn away on the spot..

Quote:
There are some approved grades - or at least, in practice, grades that the cops will not bother about, compared to heavily darkened films or tints.

Old 23rd March 2017, 21:31   #2140
BHPian

Hello

I have an Ertiga. Purely from managing the summer sun, I have used the following and found it effective -

1. Edge to edge magnetic sunshades - purchased online and they fit very well. Only downside - the drive one needs to be managed to give tolls. This cost Rs 800 or so. Been a couple of years in use now.

2. In addition, I have also put two sets of those black square sunshades which have glass vacuum button in the middle. Sold at every red light for Rs 25 a piece or Rs 100 for asset of 4.

3. The driver and the middle row have this arrangement while the quad glass in the third row seats has the edge to edge on (ref point 1)

I have an Ertiga and this arrangement has been pretty good. Only once a cop stopped me. As I rolled the window pane down, he said what is this and I told him for sun and mosquito protection. It is perfectly legal, no issues and easily removed also.

I have not tried anything for the front glass but yes that is a thought does cross my mind sometimes.

Cheers

Rajain
Rajain is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th March 2017, 10:51   #2141
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hi,

The glass area in Endeavour is very large and it is almost unmanageable as the heat is increasing.

Thanks.
If you want the best of the best, go for V-Kool 70 ( 55% TSER and 70% VLT ) or V-Kool 70+ ( 52% TSER and 75% VLT ) on all glasses except for the front windshield ( because , being a metallic film, it interferes with wireless signals like GPS and RF id ones.

If you want a value for money one with close to V-kool heat rejection, go for the garware ones. The ones that I would recommend are
Icecool shield Green ( 70% VLT and 50% TSER )
Icecool shield Grey ( 80% VLT and 45% TSER )

The garware films are non-metallic films and hence can be pasted on windshield without worries.

I wouldn't recommend 3m CR70, if you plan to keep your vehicle for long and plan to use it a lot under the sun. I got wrinkles on the film which appears like scratches on first look after 4 years of hard usage. The V-Kool 70 on the same car still works perfect after 5.5 years. I have seen others complain about the same issue on 3m CR 70 on this forum as well. But, with V-kool and even Garware, I'm yet to see such complaints.

And as a brand, V-Kool and Garware both specializes in sun films. 3m's expertise is gums and chemical solvents, not these films ( even though gum is one part of the film ).

Last edited by amalji : 24th March 2017 at 11:00.
amalji is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th March 2017, 11:12   #2142
BHPian

Quote:
Yes. If I get caught, the cop will most likely remove the film as I am not going to pay the bribe. Its simple cost-comfort trade-off i.e. how much I am willing to pay for protecting my family from harmful UV and heat knowing very well that it might be short lived?
Windshield: No matter what film you put in, if you have a large area there is still a lot of heat being filtered in. I have CR70 installed on my windshield and there is no perceptible difference.

While parked, i use a reflector sheet to shield especially during summer.

Side & Back : Films here are a nuisance, a better alternative is to use the sun shields you get at the traffic as they do the job nicely, and most importantly night driving is much better as you have full visiblity.

Last edited by kutoos : 24th March 2017 at 11:21.
Old 24th March 2017, 13:33   #2143
BHPian

Quote:
And as a brand, V-Kool and Garware both specializes in sun films. 3m's expertise is gums and chemical solvents, not these films ( even though gum is one part of the film ).
I guess it depends on the installer as well. My experience with Garware installation is not very positive. Before the sun film ban, I had tried Garware and had to remove it due to installation problem.

With v-kool the concern about the cell phone reception interference. I have heard negative feedback about it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kutoos View Post
Windshield: No matter what film you put in, if you have a large area there is still a lot of heat being filtered in. I have CR70 installed on my windshield and there is no perceptible difference.

While parked, i use a reflector sheet to shield especially during summer.

Side & Back : Films here are a nuisance, a better alternative is to use the sun shields you get at the traffic as they do the job nicely, and most importantly night driving is much better as you have full visibility.
Yes, I will get the front the back sun film for sure. One big problem with sun shades is low visibility. I'm still getting used to driving such large SUV and the side visibility is already very low. On one of the weekends, when it was too hot my kids used a cloth the cover the rear windows and I was not very comfortable driving the car.
Old 24th March 2017, 15:17   #2144
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I guess it depends on the installer as well. My experience with Garware installation is not very positive. Before the sun film ban, I had tried Garware and had to remove it due to installation problem.
Yes, it depends on the installer. Make sure that you do it from a shop which you trust and someone you know has good experience from.
for eg:-, I got a reference in Bangalore for Garware from one of the team-bhpian. I'm planning to get it done this weekend.

Quote:
With v-kool the concern about the cell phone reception interference. I have heard negative feedback about it.
With cell phone reception, I have never faced issues. I had it on all sides, rear and front on my old Esteem. It was with GPS signals that I faced issues. And that's the reason why I opted out of V-kool for the front windshield on my Etios. So, as long as you don't stick V-Kool on the front windshield, you will not come across any of the negatives associated with metallic films.

Having almost perfect visibility and still rejecting 50% of heat is a great thing to have and it will make your drive much more fun and easy.

PS: If you go for V-Kool, do it only from the V-Kool dealer and no one else. Special training is given for V-Kool employees to ensure that these thick films are installed properly. So, never think of using a 3rd party vendor for this work.
amalji is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th March 2017, 15:26   #2145
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Yes, it depends on the installer. Make sure that you do it from a shop which you trust and someone you know has good experience from.
for eg:-, I got a reference in Bangalore for Garware from one of the team-bhpian. I'm planning to get it done this weekend.

Please share the details of the dealer in Bangalore along with the cost .
Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks