Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 11th September 2017, 11:32   #2176
BHPian

Re: Front windscreen sunfilm?

Quote:
Originally Posted by glenmz View Post
I was pulled over by Bangalore traffic cops for random checking 2 weeks back around Lal Bagh - JC road area. First thing he checked was the sunfilm by running his hand over the windows. Luckily, I do not have any on the windows and was let off after checking the docs.
Now this is worrying for me! Have managed to drive around in Bengaluru for 5 months now without any cop pulling me over for sunfilm, though mine has 70% VLT and can easily see through the cabin, but after reading this, really worried when I will run out of my luck. Had thought all the drama around sunfilms was over!
Old 11th September 2017, 13:59   #2177
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shijanto4 View Post
Now this is worrying for me! Have managed to drive around in Bengaluru for 5 months now without any cop pulling me over for sunfilm, though mine has 70% VLT and can easily see through the cabin, but after reading this, really worried when I will run out of my luck. Had thought all the drama around sunfilms was over!
Yes, they do check it in Bangalore. I was caught 2 times. They asked me for bribe. I told them that I can pay the fine with the receipt and not bribe. I paid it and got off the scene. Once, the police officer also tried to force me to peel off the film to get the bribe. I told them that I do not have the time to do it now and that he can register the case, and then I will deal with it in court. He let me off without any fine or bribe. My strategy is to just leave it till the time I can. I also use VLT 70 films all over. They use their fingers on the glass to see if there is any film or not.
Old 11th September 2017, 14:14   #2178
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I was pulled over by Bangalore traffic cops for random checking 2 weeks back around Lal Bagh - JC road area. First thing he checked was the sunfilm by running his hand over the windows. Luckily, I do not have any on the windows and was let off after checking the docs.
I don't understand one thing. I have seen many cars that visit the accessories shop on that area have darker tints still. Heck I see many on roads still with visibility almost being <10% . But the cops don't catch or fine them. Why target the people who have tints which provide good visibility.
Old 11th September 2017, 14:53   #2179
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TorqueyTechie View Post
I don't understand one thing. I have seen many cars that visit the accessories shop on that area have darker tints still. Heck I see many on roads still with visibility almost being <10% . But the cops don't catch or fine them. Why target the people who have tints which provide good visibility.
They do catch whoever they see. The people either pay fine or bribe the police officer and continue to use it. The lighter films have lesser probability of getting caught. But, even they get caught.

Unfortunately, the supreme court put a blanket ban on sun control films and did not allow any sort of discrimination between the dark films and light films. So, the traffic police is just performing their duties as per the constitution.
Old 11th September 2017, 15:10   #2180
BHPian

Quote:
I completely agree. Can't understand on what basis they decide whom to stop. Have seen some luxury or influential nameplate cars going around in the city with full dark glasses and absolutely no visibility at all. Yet, our cops don't stop or question them. People like us with normal cars have to keep worrying when would it be our turn. Hope some sort of law amendment takes place soon to allow certain percentage of acceptable VLT films. More than half of the year is not bearable in a car without sunfilms. If crime is really the concern here, it can still be controlled with an acceptable percentage of VLT right? If cops can clearly see through inside a car, then what else do they need?
Old 11th September 2017, 15:43   #2181
BHPian

Quote:
Quote:
Mine was a random check. I was not breaking any rules. And from what I understand, he was looking for money. I just have sunfilm on the front windshield, a CR70 one, whose primary objective is to help from the souls who are yet to discover the high - low beam switch. The 3M chap insisted me to go for sunfilm all around. But I just insisted on the front ones since side windows are prone to inspection.
glenmz is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th September 2017, 09:22   #2182
BHPian

Quote:
Mine was a random check. I was not breaking any rules. And from what I understand, he was looking for money. I just have sunfilm on the front windshield, a CR70 one, whose primary objective is to help from the souls who are yet to discover the high - low beam switch. The 3M chap insisted me to go for sunfilm all around. But I just insisted on the front ones since side windows are prone to inspection.
Oh, all this while I thought he noticed your side window films. Had not heard anybody being questioned for a front windshield film so far. And yes, for a front windshield film, bribe can be the only way out if caught, as it is quite expensive and any attempt to remove it may further damage the windshield and its visibility.
Old 12th September 2017, 11:42   #2183
BHPian

Quote:
Oh, all this while I thought he noticed your side window films. Had not heard anybody being questioned for a front windshield film so far. And yes, for a front windshield film, bribe can be the only way out if caught, as it is quite expensive and any attempt to remove it may further damage the windshield and its visibility.
I believe it works this way - If there is a sunfilm on side windows, there there are sunfilms all thru. The chances of them checking only the front windshield are pretty slim.
Old 12th September 2017, 17:42   #2184
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I believe it works this way - If there is a sunfilm on side windows, there there are sunfilms all thru. The chances of them checking only the front windshield are pretty slim.
Side windows are so easy to check. Just open some way and look/feel for the film edge. With a well-fitted front film, the edge should be almost impossible to find.
Old 24th October 2017, 13:11   #2185
BHPian

Hi guys, sorry to butt in the conversation, are even clear films for blocking/reducing glare from sun on the side windows not allowed by law at the moment? I am not very clear on this, and being in Bangalore, I'd like to get some information before I get one installed.

Abhi
Old 24th October 2017, 16:05   #2186
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shady8701 View Post
are even clear films for blocking/reducing glare from sun on the side windows not allowed by law at the moment?
Hi Abhi,

Unfortunately, you are not allowed to use any kind of films on the glass area. It is a blanket ban irrespective of the visibility percentage.

Hope this clears the doubt.

R-Six
R-Six is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th October 2017, 16:10   #2187
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by R-Six View Post
Hi Abhi,

Unfortunately, you are not allowed to use any kind of films on the glass area. It is a blanket ban irrespective of the visibility percentage.

Hope this clears the doubt.

R-Six
Thanks R-Six,

It does clear the doubt, although it leaves me highly unsatisfied. We have just been blessed with a baby and her six month old self doesn't enjoy the drives often because of the harsh sun we're having this year. (Even in the month of Oct! )
I guess going with the fitted sun blinds from VW would be the only way to go. Thanks for your help!

Abhi
Old 29th October 2017, 16:14   #2188
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shady8701 View Post
Thanks R-Six,

It does clear the doubt, although it leaves me highly unsatisfied. We have just been blessed with a baby and her six month old self doesn't enjoy the drives often because of the harsh sun we're having this year. (Even in the month of Oct! )
I guess going with the fitted sun blinds from VW would be the only way to go. Thanks for your help!

Abhi
Hi Abhi.

Even I went through a similar dilemma six months back when I bought a new car. After some research both online and offline, I decided to go ahead with a 70% VLT branded sunfilm, though officially illegal, just being unable to bear Bangalore's heat, especially in the afternoons. Also, seeing a lot of vehicles still plying on roads with much darker sunfilms gave me additional confidence (I know this is not a justification!). I chose to take some chances, and luckily, so far, I haven't been stopped or questioned regarding this by cops, though they have stopped me for drink & drive checks. Another advantage is with the color of my car - this sunfilm doesn't reflect too much of darkness given the dark shade of my car color - I mean people can still see through and it looks more like a company-fitted UV glass. I was told by this sunfilm dealer that darker sunfilms can be more easily spotted on lighter shade cars than the darker shade ones (not sure technically how true it is, but in my case seems to be working). On the positive side, it has really made a big difference in cabin temperature and quick AC cooling. My kid as well as my family is loving it.

Like many others here have mentioned, unfortunately, it's a law that got passed blindly without considering ground realities. Hope they would amend it with some restrictions. I also wonder if rapes and sexual assaults in our country really reduced after this blanket ban on sunflims.

Thanks.
shijanto4 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th October 2017, 16:20   #2189
Senior - BHPian

Today saw cops in bengaluru stopping cars and checking for sunfilms. I saw this at halasuru gate traffic signal, near race course signal and near UVCE college. Not sure why the sudden interest again to check might be to meet month end quota.
TorqueyTechie is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th October 2017, 21:57   #2190
BHPian

Quote:
Hi Abhi.

Even I went through a similar dilemma six months back when I bought a new car. After some research both online and offline, I decided to go ahead with a 70% VLT branded sunfilm, though officially illegal, just being unable to bear Bangalore's heat, especially in the afternoons. Also, seeing a lot of vehicles still plying on roads with much darker sunfilms gave me additional confidence (I know this is not a justification!). I chose to take some chances, and luckily, so far, I haven't been stopped or questioned regarding this by cops, though they have stopped me for drink & drive checks. Another advantage is with the color of my car - this sunfilm doesn't reflect too much of darkness given the dark shade of my car color - I mean people can still see through and it looks more like a company-fitted UV glass. I was told by this sunfilm dealer that darker sunfilms can be more easily spotted on lighter shade cars than the darker shade ones (not sure technically how true it is, but in my case seems to be working). On the positive side, it has really made a big difference in cabin temperature and quick AC cooling. My kid as well as my family is loving it.

Like many others here have mentioned, unfortunately, it's a law that got passed blindly without considering ground realities. Hope they would amend it with some restrictions. I also wonder if rapes and sexual assaults in our country really reduced after this blanket ban on sunflims.

Thanks.
Thanks for this update shijanto!
I guess I'll might take a chance as well. This is really helpful. Do you mind if I PM you for details of where to get the sunfilm done. Mine is dark grey in color so I suppose the same logic might apply

Abhi

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks