Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 23rd April 2019, 22:34   #2281
BHPian

Re: Front windscreen sunfilm?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoumenD View Post
Did you get a chance to check the visibility at night? Does it cancel oncoming traffic lights (specially the ones using high beam instead of dipper).
It doesn't cut out visible light by more than 30%. It does have some anti glare effect, but didn't find it very effective.
The main USP is the heat reduction.
Old 13th May 2019, 08:17   #2282
BHPian

Looking to get a CR70 (3M) or an Ice Cool Grey (Garware) done for the front windshield on my Tiago. While I have a quote for 3M from my local store, any leads for a professional install of Garware in Delhi/NCR? Thanks in advance.
SuvidC is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th May 2019, 21:19   #2283
BHPian

Hello all,

Leaving my review of 3Ms CR 70 on my Honda WRV in Chennai:

I initially got 3M 40 done on all the windows, and it wasn't much good. I then got CR70 installed on all windows, Front windshield and rear glass. It cost me about Rs 27,000 to do so in the 3M shop in Thiruvanmiyur, Chennai. This was in January 2019, and I initially felt like an idiot for spending so much money. But the summer is here now, and I am quite pleased with the results! It is definitely making a huge difference for sure. I recently made a road trip to Tirupathy and Bangalore and back to Chennai. While I was in Tirupathy, the temperature clocked 44 and all of us in the car did not feel the heat at all while we were in the car. The minute we would get out of the car we would get baked! I can genuinely attest that it goes a long way in keeping the cabin cool in a car. 3M gave me a 5 year guarantee, and with that, I think the cost is justified.

Cons:
The windows, and the windshield too tends to get a bit foggy when it rains with the film on. Considering I live in Chennai and it does not rain too much at all here, it is fine. I was up in Kodaikannal, Valparai and Munnar in February - and the windshield would get foggy in the mornings - more than if the film was not there. It is a different type of fog with the film on - slightly different to the fog you normally get without the film. But it is quite manageable. That said, if I was in an area where it would rain constantly - I am not too sure I would recommend the film.

Also, the 3M shop said the film comes with anti-reflective coating - I do not think it is true. And neither does it do too much to cut head lights out in the night.

But because I live in Chennai where it does get quite hot and spend a lot of time on the highway to and fro Bangalore - I really love this film!
thirdmainroad is offline   (15) Thanks
Old 27th May 2019, 02:50   #2284
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Welcome to Team-BHP

And thank you for your review.
Thad E Ginathom is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 27th May 2019, 07:58   #2285
Senior - BHPian

I never thought I'd review this film but the CR70 has been just great. I got it installed for all glass, throughout and just the windscreen cost me 6K, back then after a huge discounting promotion. After installation at 3M car care, I noticed few bubbles on the front glass and passenger right side glass, but the 3M guys told me that as the film dries it will be fine - probably in a week. Highly sceptical, I left their premises and even after a week seeing the bubbles were still present I was livid. I dislike people taking me for a fool, and I wage a war of sorts on these elements. I contacted 3M directly and put up a few bad reviews and tweets, in every medium I knew, and they called me back. I spoke to the gentleman who owned the outlet directly, and all the staff were pulled up. They graciously accepted their mistake and replaced these ones. 3M has a tight control on their outlets and I saw this first-hand, and post-that for weeks they would call and inquire about the film. But I'm happy I got this. In Dubai I use a very expensive VKOOL, fitted by Porsche and that's in a separate league, but here the high taxes make that film unaffordable, I guess.
Sebring is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 2nd July 2019, 18:05   #2286
BHPian

Hi everyone.

So it hasn't rained in Chennai for over 200 days so I really havent driven in the rain much since I installed the CR 70. In a previous post I had mentioned how the CR70s seem to fog up more when it rains. Here are pictures of that happening. Is anyone else facing this issue?
Attached Thumbnails
Front windscreen sunfilm?-img_9556.jpg  

Front windscreen sunfilm?-img_9555.jpg  

thirdmainroad is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd July 2019, 21:21   #2287
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by thirdmainroad View Post
Hi everyone.

So it hasn't rained in Chennai for over 200 days so I really havent driven in the rain much since I installed the CR 70. In a previous post I had mentioned how the CR70s seem to fog up more when it rains. Here are pictures of that happening. Is anyone else facing this issue?
This seems to be a problem with CR70, i faced it in my Xcent earlier and now in my Nexon too.
Old 3rd July 2019, 03:29   #2288
Distinguished - BHPian

My screen fogs in that sort of weather, and on humid evenings, without any film at all.
Thad E Ginathom is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 4th July 2019, 03:40   #2289
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
My screen fogs in that sort of weather, and on humid evenings, without any film at all.
It's a different sort of fog you will experience with the CR 70. It's a weird streaking and fogging mix. And it will happen when its raining even if you have the air conditioner off. I think visibility is all important, especially in rain and am starting to consider if I should get the CR 70 off the windshield. But I paid over 9000 for it just a few months back, and it does do a stellar job of keeping the heat out.

Nevertheless, I would undoubtedly not recommended the 3M CR 70 in places where it rains.

Could anyone from Kerala or the west coast who have CR 70 in the front shed some light in this please? What do you guys feel?
Old 4th July 2019, 15:06   #2290
Senior - BHPian

Give the film a good wipedown with window cleaner from the inside with final wipe using kitchen tissue. I recently reinstalled sunfilm on my side windows and I observed that only side windows were fogging up and not front and back which had old film. So I guess it might be some residue of manufacturing oils or soap used for installation.

I also keep a box of Absorbia in the car which I change monthly during the monsoons
Mortis is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th July 2019, 20:45   #2291
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by thirdmainroad View Post
And it will happen when its raining even if you have the air conditioner off. I think visibility is all important, especially in rain and am starting to consider if I should get the CR 70 off the windshield.

Nevertheless, I would undoubtedly not recommended the 3M CR 70 in places where it rains.

Could anyone from Kerala or the west coast who have CR 70 in the front shed some light in this please? What do you guys feel?
Whatever be the benefits, I would not suggest using any kind of film for your front windscreen. It's something like a trap waiting to trick one out.

Safety of you, your fellow passengers and most importantly safety of others on the road is way more important than having a film on windscreen.
mpp19 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th July 2019, 21:04   #2292
BHPian

I agree with you 100%

I was at 3M today cos some of the film peeled of the windows and they were to replace it. While there, I was cajoled into going in for a 5 interior and exterior detailing package for Rs 20750. There were to drop the car off an hour ago, but I got a sheepish call from them and they informed me that that there was some miscommunication and they had ceramic coated the car instead, and they can’t deliver it as promised since ceramic coating requires time to dry and cure. And that they will still honour the 5 detailing treatments I had paid for. So now I am not going to feel so bad about removing the front sunfilm I paid 9k for!
thirdmainroad is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th July 2019, 00:34   #2293
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpp19 View Post
Whatever be the benefits, I would not suggest using any kind of film for your front windscreen. It's something like a trap
Noobie alert: how is it going to be a trap? Care to elaborate? I recently bought a jazz and was thinking to use uv blocking film on the front windscreen to help me with the huge green house. I thought it will make my drive more safe as the shop owner was telling me the film will help to reduce the glare from vehicles coming from the opposite direction at night.
Old 5th July 2019, 02:06   #2294
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpp19 View Post
Whatever be the benefits, I would not suggest using any kind of film for your front windscreen. It's something like a trap waiting to trick one out.

Safety of you, your fellow passengers and most importantly safety of others on the road is way more important than having a film on windscreen.
I never had a problem in four hears of having CR70 on all five windows. This is no more an issue with film than it is without it: depending on season, time of day, etc, I have had misting problems with and without film.
Old 5th July 2019, 02:22   #2295
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
I never had a problem in four hears of having CR70 on all five windows. This is no more an issue with film than it is without it: depending on season, time of day, etc, I have had misting problems with and without film.
Thad, then any idea why I am getting it? I really wish I could find out.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks