Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 3rd October 2011, 21:28   #2026
BHPian

Re: Swift Mods : Post all queries / pics of Swift Modifications here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivekji05 View Post

The 185/65 R15s are lying around on their "signature" alloy wheels. Didn't make any attempt to sell them.
Vivekji, those alloys are stunning. I have booked the Vxi and plan to upgrade to 15 inches. Do let me know if you plan to sell the alloys and the rubber. And also, can you please let me know how the alloys which you had installed costed you. Will be great if you can share the cost of the alloys and the 16 inch tyres.
Old 3rd October 2011, 21:52   #2027
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MutantX View Post
Vivekji, those alloys are stunning. I have booked the Vxi and plan to upgrade to 15 inches. Do let me know if you plan to sell the alloys and the rubber. And also, can you please let me know how the alloys which you had installed costed you. Will be great if you can share the cost of the alloys and the 16 inch tyres.
Thanks dude. I can give you the alloys and tyres. Have sent you a PM.
Old 5th October 2011, 16:00   #2028
Senior - BHPian

Folks, need some serious advice! I have driven about 47k in my dzire VDI, just changed the tyres to Michelin 185/70/14 and I was just thinking of adding a tunig box, just to keep things interesting for the next 2-3 years! I had some questions though,
1) I know the tuning box ups about 15bhp and it does make a substantial difference, but does it feel so in city traffic conditions? Does the initial turbo lag decrease a little bit?
2) I live right next door to Red rooster performance at Bangalore so I had checked with them on the spider tuning box. H.ever, I have mostly heard about Pete's in this forum. Any one of you using either of these? I was slightly inclined towards spider since red rooster is right next door and also it costs about 5k less{ spider is about 23k, and petes about 28k}
3) Is the tuning box just plug and drive or do you need to do other modifications{ECU mapping etc} as well?
4) And is there a major risk involved? I read somewhere in the forum that if you do not do the settings properly then it could even cut the engine's life!

Would be great if you can help me on this query!
Old 11th October 2011, 12:54   #2029
BHPian

I'm in a fix on the suspension of my car. Being Mumbai, it seems like the damn thing has literally broken my back. Like it seriously hurts so much so that I've decided to take the bike to work and am also undergoing proper treatment.

Now back to the suspensions, here is a little background:
1. This is a Swift VXi May '07 with over 60,000 km on the clock
2. Regularly serviced and cared for
3. I've switched to OZ Record 15" rims running 195/65R15 @ 28psi. On tar this is brilliant.
4. Rear struts were replaced sometime during the 51k-52k period

Now for the part where I need help:

Starting 48,000km I started noticing unusual levels of body roll. We did a Goa run and the twisties in and out of Rajapur happen to be my favourite. A road I know well and can time myself on those 50km to perfection. This time around, I found myself taking some random different line, the car was rolling all over the place so much so that my wife actually asked me to slow down as she was all dizzy (something that hasn't happened earlier). Even I was trying to push to find out more about this new found body roll. In any case, the blame was put onto more springy / less damping of front shock absorbers.
On getting back into Mumbai, I got the car into a proper service station where the guy replaced the rear struts leaving the fronts on. He was quick to point out that with the rains round the corner, it may be a great idea to do all this work after the roads get drier & better (wonder when that time will come). He did a decent job with the car and also replaced brake parts, stabiliser arms that made the drive a bit better. The only thing pending was alignment. His machine was broken and this had to be done elsewhere.

Now comes the second part of the story. I took the car to a proper alignment shop at MIDC Andheri East. After some 6 rounds of adjustment and testing, it was decided that I need to change a bolt on my front right strut to get the car pointing straight. We tried various things like rotating wheels & tires but the front right would not get fixed. The car would gently pull left and veer off the road. Even after changing the upper bolt - essentially altering the camber angle and make it more positive. This did help. The car was now straight as an arrow and I could feel reducing loads on my hands. However, this dream has been shortlived. Bad roads have ruined everything. Car runs off to the left, loud thudding sounds on bad roads, lots of body roll, all Swift sharpness is lost etc etc. I can go on lamenting.

The time has come to change the front suspension setup and here are my options:
- Bilstein B14 with struts, spring and all. Car is lowered 20mm. I spend 70k. I'm left with rear struts
- Koni Sport where only struts are changed. I spend 35k - 40k. I'm still left with rear struts
- Stock front setup. I spend 22k. Rear struts continue to do duty as today.
- Fourth option which my fellow petrol-heads suggest

Please help. Thanks in advance.
Old 11th October 2011, 22:26   #2030
BHPian

Jaggu,

My VDI has completed 30k kms, what things should be covered as part of the 30k servicing ?

Also since last 3-4 months, I have been experiencing loud thudding sounds on bad roads. Could it be the suspension ?
Old 15th November 2011, 09:54   #2031
BHPian

Here is a recent picture of Quarter Mile magazine's Swift project. Since the last post, the SA67Rs have been powder coated and the B14 suspension has been lowered 40mm
Swift Mods : Post all queries / pics of Swift Modifications here.-swift-night-shot.jpg.
vivekji05 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 15th November 2011, 10:21   #2032
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Here is a recent picture of Quarter Mile magazine's Swift project. Since the last post, the SA67Rs have been powder coated and the B14 suspension has been lowered 40mm
Attachment 842287.
Ah! What a beauty! This is torture for all of us waiting for this beautiful car.

How did you lower the suspension? And how has it affected ride and handling?
Old 15th November 2011, 14:56   #2033
BHPian

Sorry about the torture, Crazy driver. You can surely take revenge and pay back after you get your car.

It runs on Bilstein B14, all round. Those coilovers are height adjustable.
Old 15th November 2011, 15:44   #2034
Senior - BHPian

Hi Motorworks, i have tried to answer your queries below to the best of my knowledge. if theres any other doubt, feel free to ask.

Quote:
Originally Posted by motorworks View Post
1) I know the tuning box ups about 15bhp and it does make a substantial difference, but does it feel so in city traffic conditions? Does the initial turbo lag decrease a little bit?
There is no difference in city conditions i.e. in stop and go traffic. The difference is directly related to the flooring of the gas pedal by the driver
Evidently the car seems lighter and more peppy. There is a very thinly noticeable reduction in turbo lag.

Quote:
2) I live right next door to Red rooster performance at Bangalore so I had checked with them on the spider tuning box. H.ever, I have mostly heard about Pete's in this forum. Any one of you using either of these? I was slightly inclined towards spider since red rooster is right next door and also it costs about 5k less{ spider is about 23k, and petes about 28k}
I have no experience with a Spider box and im sure Red Rooster would not back a bad product but if i were you, id go in for the Pete's box. Its been around for years and proved its mettle. Even yours truly has had it since years (and since it costed 32k+) in the Octavia which has clocked 80k kms and still the car brings a smile to my face. The difference in price is worth it for a proven product.

There are many users of Petes on the forum. Just search and you will find product reviews. One member has had a Petes box on his swift and its clocked 1.35k kms, still going strong so the talk abut it affecting the engine is not true.

Quote:
3) Is the tuning box just plug and drive or do you need to do other modifications{ECU mapping etc} as well?
4) And is there a major risk involved? I read somewhere in the forum that if you do not do the settings properly then it could even cut the engine's life!

Would be great if you can help me on this query!
Its as simple as Plug and play. Its actually a piggyback ECU and can be done in a DIY very easily. Its really simple to install and even uninstall by yourself. Dont expect an instant whack. In some cases like AKshay1234's Innova it took a good 15 minutes of driving and around 10-15 kms before the whack just turned on. The ECU is reading from the original ECU and sometimes takes its time to read hence the delay. This is only for the first time after install. Since there are no settings to be set there is no question of not setting things properly. It has to be fit properly so id suggest you ask the authorized dealer to fit it for you. Im sure you'll be smiling.
V-16 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th November 2011, 08:48   #2035
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Attachment 842287.
Loved the alloys. Are they multi-PCD? What brand? Price if known? What tyres are used alongwith it?
Old 16th November 2011, 09:53   #2036
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by moralfibre View Post
Loved the alloys. Are they multi-PCD? What brand? Price if known? What tyres are used alongwith it?
It's called Wedssport SA67R. (weds CO., LTD.??????????WedsSport?????????????????)

Here is what an image search on google will lead you to.

Price, if I am not mistaken, starts around 400 USD per piece. Mine was made in multi PCD configuration to suit 114.3 x 4 and 100 x 4 bolt patterns.
Old 21st November 2011, 09:13   #2037
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by V-16 View Post
Hi Motorworks, i have tried to answer your queries below to the best of my knowledge. if theres any other doubt, feel free to ask.

There is no difference in city conditions i.e. in stop and go traffic. The difference is directly related to the flooring of the gas pedal by the driver
Evidently the car seems lighter and more peppy. There is a very thinly noticeable reduction in turbo lag.
I have no experience with a Spider box and im sure Red Rooster would not back a bad product but if i were you, id go in for the Pete's box. Its been around for years and proved its mettle. Even yours truly has had it since years (and since it costed 32k+) in the Octavia which has clocked 80k kms and still the car brings a smile to my face. The difference in price is worth it for a proven product.

There are many users of Petes on the forum. Just search and you will find product reviews. One member has had a Petes box on his swift and its clocked 1.35k kms, still going strong so the talk abut it affecting the engine is not true.

Its as simple as Plug and play. Its actually a piggyback ECU and can be done in a DIY very easily. Its really simple to install and even uninstall by yourself. Dont expect an instant whack. In some cases like AKshay1234's Innova it took a good 15 minutes of driving and around 10-15 kms before the whack just turned on. The ECU is reading from the original ECU and sometimes takes its time to read hence the delay. This is only for the first time after install. Since there are no settings to be set there is no question of not setting things properly. It has to be fit properly so id suggest you ask the authorized dealer to fit it for you. Im sure you'll be smiling.
HI V16, thanks for your answers! I actually did a trial run in a spider tuning box from red rooster for about 15 minutes or so. I may be wrong, but I thought that the engine noise became a little louder, I' m not 100% sure though. And to be honest I did not feel a very notable performance change. 2nd gear accelaration was better though. I wasnt entirely convinced, so I did not opt for the spider. Let me see if I can get my hands on a pete swift diesel to do a trial run before making a decision.
Also, do you think power upgrade is a continuous process with changes apart from tunig box like adding a chip etc? Or is a tunig box sufficient to get the maximum performance?
Old 21st November 2011, 10:50   #2038
BHPian

The Blog which I have drawn my inspirations and powers over the last four years, features my swifty. Cheers Koh
The story of Koh -Swift-: Vivek Vinod's 1.3 Turbo Swift from Bangalore, India II
Old 22nd November 2011, 20:02   #2039
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by motorworks View Post
HI V16, thanks for your answers! I actually did a trial run in a spider tuning box from red rooster for about 15 minutes or so. I may be wrong, but I thought that the engine noise became a little louder, I' m not 100% sure though. And to be honest I did not feel a very notable performance change. 2nd gear acceleration was better though. I wasn't entirely convinced, so I did not opt for the spider. Let me see if I can get my hands on a pete swift diesel to do a trial run before making a decision.
Also, do you think power upgrade is a continuous process with changes apart from tuning box like adding a chip etc? Or is a tuning box sufficient to get the maximum performance?
Yes do that. Trial is always good. Since you are the person spending the bucks you yourself have to decide which box makes you feel the power is actually upped with a difference.

For a Diesel i think the power the Pete's box delivers is good enough. A chip is essentially what a tuning box is called here. It is like a remap so when we're talking of a Pete's box, we are referring to the box as the chip. Only this is an additional one which piggy backs on to your main ECU unlike some other ones which have to replace ones ECU. Anything above that and messing with the internals and stuff like that , in short anything short of plug and play is not recommended unless you are a mod buff. Although mod addition is a continuous process but i feel for the diesel swift, this up is very reliable, proven and also user friendly. Anyone can drive the car and it behaves itself well. You do get an additional kick which might go a long way when selling the car. Whenever you want to, just unplug and in 15 minutes, the car is stock again. Another thing i can suggest for better breathing is a sports filter from K&N, Green or any other reputed company.
Old 22nd November 2011, 21:31   #2040
BHPian

Quote:
Price, if I am not mistaken, starts around 400 USD per piece. Mine was made in multi PCD configuration to suit 114.3 x 4 and 100 x 4 bolt patterns.
400 $ per Piece
From where you done the powder coating?
Guys how a black powder coated stock alloy look in a white Swift

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks