Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 23rd October 2008, 15:24   #2251
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
I am thinking about putting HID(H3 I think) in the fog lamp housing of Safari. I should get a unit for around 4K.
My only worry is river fording. Intend to do that quite a bit, and this means a bust expensive HID.
So I am wondering, how about auxilary fog lamps with HID (H3 single, no high low business) to use as and when required.
Has anybody any idea about availability of such kits? How much is the cost.
I think the reflectors should be around 600rs or so, and another 3500 odd for the HID kit.
Why dont you put auxhilary fog lamps mounted on the bumper? You get a big variety of these. If your happy to spend, you now get the Xenon Hella's. Bit big and bulky, but the light from them is amazing. But even standard Fog lamps (again my prefrence being Hella) are really good and usally good for most applications. If you can try and get Lightforce lights. I have a spotlight (for hunting) and that is just amazing.
Old 23rd October 2008, 15:25   #2252
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I am thinking about putting HID(H3 I think) in the fog lamp housing of Safari. I should get a unit for around 4K.
My only worry is river fording. Intend to do that quite a bit, and this means a bust expensive HID.
So I am wondering, how about auxilary fog lamps with HID (H3 single, no high low business) to use as and when required.
Has anybody any idea about availability of such kits? How much is the cost.
I think the reflectors should be around 600rs or so, and another 3500 odd for the HID kit.
What color temperature are you planning?
HID kits are water proof including the ballast,you just need to worry a little regarding wiring.
H3 kits are available for around 4K.
HID's generally are not worth it if you are planning to use them in foggy conditions.
Try to look for color temperature which is less than 5000K

Last edited by akshay4587 : 23rd October 2008 at 15:30.
Old 23rd October 2008, 15:59   #2253
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samir Taheer View Post
Why dont you put auxhilary fog lamps mounted on the bumper? You get a big variety of these. If your happy to spend, you now get the Xenon Hella's. Bit big and bulky, but the light from them is amazing. But even standard Fog lamps (again my prefrence being Hella) are really good and usally good for most applications. If you can try and get Lightforce lights. I have a spotlight (for hunting) and that is just amazing.
I will enquire about lightforce, my light budget is 5K max
As for water proof, most HIDs are splash proof, I am talking about fording rivers
Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay4587 View Post
What color temperature are you planning?
HID kits are water proof including the ballast,you just need to worry a little regarding wiring.
H3 kits are available for around 4K.
HID's generally are not worth it if you are planning to use them in foggy conditions.
Try to look for color temperature which is less than 5000K
I will want a 4000K HID, for use on lonely roads, and in mountains at night.
Old 23rd October 2008, 16:36   #2254
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I will enquire about lightforce, my light budget is 5K max
As for water proof, most HIDs are splash proof, I am talking about fording rivers

I will want a 4000K HID, for use on lonely roads, and in mountains at night.
4300K is what you should be looking for,available freely in the market.

I dont think fording is going to be an issue since the only the bulb is going to be placed near the bumper.
Rest set up you can fit somewhere safely under the hood.
I had seen a video somewhere where the whole kit was submerged in water for sometime to show its water resisting properties.

Last edited by akshay4587 : 23rd October 2008 at 16:37.
Old 23rd October 2008, 16:38   #2255
BHPian

Hmm Lightforce mate, might be a bit more than that. Ill check here in the UK, but they are australian. Used alot on the road trains and stuff.

In 5k you'll get a nice set of Hella 3000. You'll even be able to choose your lens tint. HID from what i recollect and most people say on here, dont seem to be too effective in fog and rain.

So if your going to use it mainly in the mountains and at night - i would have thought it would be more effective to have something at a height (mounted on the bumper) than low down at the bottom of your bumper. The light would spread over a greater area.
Old 23rd October 2008, 16:44   #2256
BHPian

LightForce to my knowledge are like 20k a set. But they are virtually indestructible, there is an importer down south who gets it in from Austrailia. A friend of mine uses them on his jeeps in Jaipur. Try for the Hella Black Magic lights as well.
Old 23rd October 2008, 21:51   #2257
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Go for it

Thats a very good idea but go for 4300k and its easily available in the market these days. 6000k in fogs is a waste of your money.

I say this because your up north and in thick fog even 4300k looses the battle. Your usage is primarily outside city and in OTR conditions. For city driving 6k will be fine.

Waterproofing will not be an issue just douse all bits with silicon and if you want to be double sure you can use electrical tape.

Regarding water just ensure the ballasts are in a safe place. In the Swift the left fog lamp accumulated water for some reason but the bulb never went bust. Now just to be on the safe side Iv used silicon sealant on any portion where wires enter/exit or contact and also sealed the back of the bulb holder generously with silicon.

These days thanks to the rain gods blessing Bangalore and lack of city planning and types we need to tackle mini-rivers (well for the low bumpered swift... not the Safaris, Santros and Scorpio's )
Old 24th October 2008, 09:44   #2258
BHPian

Which Relay Bosch/Lucas?

Hi all,

I wanna put Philips Essential/Rally 100/90w to my Getz TOMORROW.

Tomorrow evening I'm leaving for Belgaum. Please help me asap.

I would like to know which Relay to use Lucas/Bosch.

Y'day I enquired at one Lucas Showroom on Karve Rd. That man quoted Rs.1100 only for Relay & Fitting. Bulbs extra!!!

I couldn't find Bosch Distributor!!!.

Can anyone of you please let me know
Old 24th October 2008, 12:34   #2259
BHPian

Ankush - Why do you need to go to a Lucas Showroom. Any half decent automotive accesories shop around there should be able to do it for you.

Sorry but i dont know much about pricing.

I know of one place at the end of East Street. Go down East street turn left toward the Bus Station and the shop is on your left just before the Maruti Service Centre.
Old 25th October 2008, 00:47   #2260
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anantnehru View Post
LightForce to my knowledge are like 20k a set. But they are virtually indestructible, there is an importer down south who gets it in from Austrailia. A friend of mine uses them on his jeeps in Jaipur. Try for the Hella Black Magic lights as well.
It's 22K MRP in Kolkata for a pair,the Light Force 240 XGT !!

LightForce is awesome,no doubt about that but those are good for game hunting mostly,used like searchlights.I would bet more on HELLAs if you want to go for top quality auxillary lights (you get then in Euro beam,pencil beam or even fogs).

Quote:
My only worry is river fording.
If you are not too hell bent on using HIDs for the fog lights,you can use the new Hella HydroLUX submersible lamps with Free Form reflector for your river fording needs.They are tested for below 3 feet of water and are currently one of the best for use in harshest of conditions.

Last edited by ultimatechamp : 25th October 2008 at 00:55.
Old 25th October 2008, 07:23   #2261
Senior - BHPian

tsk, i dont think 4300K HID's ( or even bulbs) and wet roads(or rocks for that matter )/conditions will mix. the reflection of blue/white light is less of wet surfaces. Wouldnt 100/90 rally be a better and cheaper option
Old 25th October 2008, 08:59   #2262
Senior - BHPian

I should have taken a pic last night in the mini river near Palace grounds... will try and get one if it happens again but I think the North-East monsoons will retreat now.
Old 25th October 2008, 10:23   #2263
BHPian

PIAA makes some nice lights as well. Two issues though, they are (the ones I've seen for the SX4) 4inch and 6inch - dontknow if you were looking for a particular size; and getting them to India is a big pain. But these are pretty expensive, think when I calculated total cost it was close to 8.5-9.

Last edited by anantnehru : 25th October 2008 at 10:25.
Old 25th October 2008, 17:20   #2264
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anantnehru View Post
PIAA makes some nice lights as well. Two issues though, they are (the ones I've seen for the SX4) 4inch and 6inch - dontknow if you were looking for a particular size; and getting them to India is a big pain. But these are pretty expensive, think when I calculated total cost it was close to 8.5-9.
Rightly said anantnehru.But PIAA are frightfully expensive and they don't have that much in terms of options for different motoring needs.Hella has much more in terms of variety and price.
By the way,some US based internet sites do ship to India and you have to pay through Paypal. IPF, Hella, PIAA, Hilux, KC Hilites and LightForce are the companies to choose from for driving or auxillary lights.
Old 25th October 2008, 18:41   #2265
Senior - BHPian

No doubt about the aforementioned brands, but I dont think Tanveer is up for spending big bucks on this setup. Its only limited use so any old assembly with good reflectors (new) will serve the purpose.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks