Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th August 2011, 21:59   #5431
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by naveen.raju
@dilip - It's looking good. How about some night pics now? Would love to see its performance.
BTW, from where did you buy these? Is it from Cochin?
Naveen
I purchased it from Automate. Attaching some more pics.
Attached Images

dilipkumar7278 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th August 2011, 13:21   #5432
BHPian

Re: Auto Lighting thread : Post all queries about automobile lighting here

Hello Friends,

I own Ford Figo Diesel since 21 Jul 2011. Till today I did two long tours on NH4 4 laned tolled highway. I found Headlamps to be pathetic on wet roads and with oncoming traffic even on other side of road. On 2 laned state highways the driving visibility is worst possible. So I need to upgrade head lamps. To honor warranty at present I would prefer to have 55/60W 12V H4 bulbs only.

I have three options.
1. Phillips Blue Vision Kit as Ford Accessory costing @2700 to 2900
includes HL pair, Parking Lamps, Fog Lamp Pair.
2. Phillips Blue Vision Ultra After Market @900/- (only HL Pair)
3. Osram Night Breaker Plus After Market @980/- (only HL Pair)

Please guide me which one I should Prefer so that Night Visibility is improved.
Old 23rd August 2011, 23:44   #5433
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitelion View Post
To honor warranty at present I would prefer to have 55/60W 12V H4 bulbs only.

I have three options.

1- If Visibility is your primary concern, the blue bulbs go out the window right away. They look great, but when it comes to lighting, they fail. As with any light, adding a filter reduces usable light. These blue vision bulbs are regular halogen lamps with a blue filter.

2- Read above.

3- Currently your best bet. Do not expect a huge difference in lighting though. However they are better than the stock lamps. I have these on my car currently. I have Crystal vision on my bike and HID on my other car. So take my word for it.

On a separate note, a properly installed 100/90 kit does not involve cutting any wires and consequently won't void your warranty. However in several installations, a waterproofing cap behind the headlamp has to be tweaked to accept the better gauge wires required for 100/90 bulbs. This cap may not be available for sale separately if you plan on going back to stock later.

Do your research. Better lighting is out there. We're all looking for it
Tassem is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd August 2011, 23:49   #5434
BANNED

Quote:
So I need to upgrade head lamps. To honor warranty at present I would prefer to have 55/60W 12V H4 bulbs only.
There is a new Philips 100+ extremeVision. First there was 50+ then 80+ now 100+. Check it out.

--Ragul
Ragul is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th August 2011, 11:04   #5435
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tassem View Post
1- If Visibility is your primary concern, the blue bulbs go out the window right away. They look great, but when it comes to lighting, they fail. As with any light, adding a filter reduces usable light. These blue vision bulbs are regular halogen lamps with a blue filter.

Yes Visibility is Top priority concern. In fact I can consider violation of warranty if a solution for proper visibility demands that. In my perspective Risk of Accident due to poor visibility is evil than risk of violation of warranty. In first case Money + life is at stake and in second case only Money is at stake. I think I have made my views clear. I am trying find out solution to visibility by remaining as far as possible in Stock specs otherwise beyond that.

2- Read above.

3- Currently your best bet. Do not expect a huge difference in lighting though. However they are better than the stock lamps. I have these on my car currently. I have Crystal vision on my bike and HID on my other car. So take my word for it.

On a separate note, a properly installed 100/90 kit does not involve cutting any wires and consequently won't void your warranty. However in several installations, a waterproofing cap behind the headlamp has to be tweaked to accept the better gauge wires required for 100/90 bulbs. This cap may not be available for sale separately if you plan on going back to stock later.

My M800 has 90/100 Phillips bulbs with relay + wiring & holder kit, installed without cutting any wires 9 to 10 years ago. I have not faced any problems, not a single bulb has been replaced since installation, Reflectors are stock and in good condition, Front lens is made up of glass so it is also in good condition. However now with new cars scenario is different, the engine and car is governed by electronics to greater extent, reflectors are plastic, front lens is plastic, so I have fear that A.S.S.C. may attribute some mfg defect to 90/100 installation and wash their hands. I also feel that they may relate ECU, wiper, door locking/unlocking, music system etc. etc. problems to this installation stating that it has created current irregularity in cars wiring.

Do your research. Better lighting is out there. We're all looking for it
Since you have used different lighting options your opinions on this issue are very valuable to me. I have following queries.

Why blue bulbs are not that useful for visibility ?

How is visibility NBP compared to 90/100 and stock bulbs? is there any huge difference or you feel that for first 1 or 2 years I can take chance on NBP and protect warranty related fears and later go for 90/100.

The cost of NBP is about Rs.980/- (with installation and Focusing).
Cost of 90/100 kit (relay+Holders+wiring Kit roots/hella + installation) is 1200/- to 1500/-.

Awaiting for your valuable feedback.
Old 24th August 2011, 16:27   #5436
BHPian

Quote:
Why blue bulbs are not that useful for visibility ?

Firstly the blue bulbs are regular halogen lamps with a blue filter. Filters almost always rob some usable light. Secondly, our eyes are less sensitive to blue light. I know this because I study lasers as a hobby. Also, the color rendition is poor in light with a blue tint (Whitish). What this means is that you will be able to make out shapes better in yellow/orange tinted light.

How is visibility NBP compared to 90/100 and stock bulbs? is there any huge difference or you feel that for first 1 or 2 years I can take chance on NBP and protect warranty related fears and later go for 90/100.

90/100 is anyday better than NBP. There is simply no replacement for higher wattage as long as you stay within the same technology. For eg a 100W Halogen will always be brighter than a 55W Halogen. But a 50W HID will blow both these out the water.

However, NBP is better than stock. That I can tell you.

The cost of NBP is about Rs.980/- (with installation and Focusing).
Cost of 90/100 kit (relay+Holders+wiring Kit roots/hella + installation) is 1200/- to 1500/-.

There is no focusing involved in NBP. The installation is something that you can do yourself since its just the bulb that needs replacing. In fact, I suggest you try this yourself so that if ever you have a blown bulb on the road, you know what to do.
90/100 is true value for money anyday. However like I said earlier, if any part on your car needs tweaking, ensure that spares are available before you give the go. Some installations would require a small cover behind the lamp assembly to be cut. This part is difficult to source separately. However for your car, you may get it as spare. If it needs to be cut, check for a spare with your service centre first.
Old 24th August 2011, 17:19   #5437
BHPian

Quote:
90/100 is true value for money anyday. However like I said earlier, if any part on your car needs tweaking, ensure that spares are available before you give the go. Some installations would require a small cover behind the lamp assembly to be cut. This part is difficult to source separately. However for your car, you may get it as spare. If it needs to be cut, check for a spare with your service centre first.
Thanks a lot for valuable inputs. With this information I will check with Mechanic whether 90/100 will fit in stock reflectors without any modifications. Similarly I will also checks with A.S.S.C that fitting NBP is going to void warranty or not. If anyways they are going to void warranty with NBP then its better to have 90/100. I will decide after these inputs and let it know before actual execution.

As far as my knowledge goes HIDs will cost a lot, I don't know the price range for 50W HIDs. Similarly I heard that it needs some modifications to reflectors also. Better you could throw some light on it.
Old 24th August 2011, 18:32   #5438
BHPian

Quote:
NBP is going to void warranty or not. If anyways they are going to void warranty with NBP then its better to have 90/100. I will decide after these inputs and let it know before actual execution.

As far as my knowledge goes HIDs will cost a lot, I don't know the price range for 50W HIDs. Similarly I heard that it needs some modifications to reflectors also. Better you could throw some light on it.
Nightbreakers will not void warranty. They're the same rating as your stock bulbs.

90/100 should not void warranty if done properly without cutting any wires. But the installation involves additional components.

HID will cost you around 20k to do the proper way with projectors retrofitted to your existing headlamps.
Old 24th August 2011, 21:36   #5439
BHPian

Quote:
Nightbreakers will not void warranty. They're the same rating as your stock bulbs.
I own Figo and the manual says Fitting Non Ford Components will void warranty. Thats why I would like get opinion from A.S.S.C people whether they can overlook NBP installation and stay away from putting it on record.

Quote:
90/100 should not void warranty if done properly without cutting any wires. But the installation involves additional components.
This also I would like to discuss with those people and get their opinion whether it can cause any possible impact on other systems of Car. I am aware they cant formally accept it but they can advise informally.

Quote:
HID will cost you around 20k to do the proper way with projectors retrofitted to your existing headlamps.
Thanks a lot for information. At present HIDs are not possible due to Budget constraints. So I have to choose between NBP and 90/100 now.

One more thing I discovered while discussing with SR who was handling my purchase. Figo facebook page has discussed headlight problem in depth but none of them was fully satisfied with various solutions. I pointed out that thread to my SR. According to him its obvious since Design of reflectors is responsible for that. They too travel in Figo for sales and suffer from this issue while doing late night journey. The spread of light is the concern which makes things at some distance invisible since light wont spread much.

So a another option struck to my mind is Addition of some auxiliary Lamps with separate wiring from battery and a switch in between. These lamps will be switched on as and when needed. I will check out this possibility also and availability of some Auxiliary Head Lamps with Casing. I think Hella has such products. If you know or have already used such lamps please let me know.
Old 24th August 2011, 22:00   #5440
BHPian

Quote:
Hello Friends,

To honor warranty at present I would prefer to have 55/60W 12V H4 bulbs only.

I have three options.

For visibility, forget both the blues!

Consider the Philips Xtreme Vision (bright yellow-white light, +100% power. + 35m throw) - H4, 60/55W - direct replacements.

Check this thread
Old 24th August 2011, 22:13   #5441
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by keyur View Post
For visibility, forget both the blues!

Consider the Philips Xtreme Vision (bright yellow-white light, +100% power. + 35m throw) - H4, 60/55W - direct replacements.

Check this thread
Thanks keyur but link is not accessible.
Old 24th August 2011, 22:16   #5442
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks keyur but link is not accessible.
Posting the thread link. Read post #2 :

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/modifi...headlamps.html
Old 24th August 2011, 22:31   #5443
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by keyur View Post
Posting the thread link. Read post #2 :

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/modifi...headlamps.html
Still cant access the link you mentioned. I think something is wrong somewhere.
Old 24th August 2011, 22:48   #5444
BHPian

Quote:
I own Figo and the manual says Fitting Non Ford Components will void warranty. Thats why I would like get opinion from A.S.S.C people whether they can overlook NBP installation and stay away from putting it on record.

I don't think they're referring to bulbs. This is logical because Ford cannot void your warranty because you changed your bulbs if the OEM one failed on the highway right? Imagine it does and the nearby shop has only NBP. Then what? This has more to do with spurious spare parts IMO.

One more thing I discovered while discussing with SR who was handling my purchase. Figo facebook page has discussed headlight problem in depth but none of them was fully satisfied with various solutions. I pointed out that thread to my SR. According to him its obvious since Design of reflectors is responsible for that. They too travel in Figo for sales and suffer from this issue while doing late night journey. The spread of light is the concern which makes things at some distance invisible since light wont spread much.

The design of the reflector has nothing to do with brightness unless the reflector focuses the beam over an abnormally large area which is not the case with the Figo. Your SR gave you this explanation because he does not know any better. While the new generation reflectors do focus the beam over a larger area its not reason enough for reduced brightness. The reflector has more to do with the beam pattern than the brightness of the beam itself. However, a badly focused reflector can rob you of intensity.

So a another option struck to my mind is Addition of some auxiliary Lamps with separate wiring from battery and a switch in between. These lamps will be switched on as and when needed. I will check out this possibility also and availability of some Auxiliary Head Lamps with Casing. I think Hella has such products. If you know or have already used such lamps please let me know.
Aux lamps will ruin the clean front of the car. Hella 500FF is a VFM option but again the aesthetics will take a big hit. This should be your last option IMHO. Also logically speaking if Ford will void your warranty for 90/100, they will certainly void your warranty for Aux lamps.
Old 24th August 2011, 23:12   #5445
BHPian

Quote:
BTW what is color temp of XV ? BVU is 4000K (white light).
It's bright yellow light - so I would put it around 3500K (or maybe a wee bit higher)

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks