Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 10th September 2011, 08:59   #5506
BHPian

Re: Auto Lighting thread : Post all queries about automobile lighting here

I've used the Hella 100/90W yesterday night for driving from Hyderabad to Bangalore. The Hella bulbs are amazing. I would highly recommend them. Driving in the rain at night was (better than) OK, however not as good as using auxillary spot lights.

Few points:

1) Make sure that you use relay kit for them unless it's a Palio. As far as I know, Palio does not require additional relays since Palio already has it.

2) Use good quality relay wiring kit e.g Hella, Bosch, Roots or Lucas. Hella is a bit expensive but it did not require cutting any wires; the sockets provided plug into the existing ones.

3) Headlight beam will need adjustment after Hella installation. This is DIY and can be done in 5-10 minutes.

4) Price quoted for Hella wiring kit (with Relays) was 1600. Price for the Hella H4 bulbs was 210 Rs.
Old 10th September 2011, 10:12   #5507
BHPian

Hi All,

Has anyone used HID auxiliary lights? If yes, please provide your feedback on the same.

I am looking at putting a couple on my scorpio and have shortlisted a few in the US (Amazon)which I will get if someone is travelling. These are the only ones that are within my budget. Please let me know if you have any specific feedback on them also. Also do let me know if these or similar ones are available in India. I know Hella HID Auxiliary lamps are available but they are exorbitantly priced here and also in US.

1. Optilux H71020171 4" HID Driving Lamp by HELLA
2. Navigator PL-1100 HID Off Road Driving Lamp by Pilot Automotive
3. Pair 9" HID Xenon Off Road Light Offroad Fog Driving Lights for SUV Jeep ATV UTV by HID
4. Rugged Ridge 15205.53 7" Black Round HID Off-Road Light with Wiring Harness - Pair by Rugged Ridge
5. 50 Caliber 7" Inch Offroad HID Flood Light Off Road by 50 Caliber Racing

Thanks in advance.

Last edited by sudipta : 10th September 2011 at 10:15.
Old 10th September 2011, 11:41   #5508
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by junkishya View Post
4) Price quoted for Hella wiring kit (with Relays) was 1600. Price for the Hella H4 bulbs was 210 Rs.
And I paid 850/- for Philips 80+ 60/55w bulbs!!
How come 100/90 is cheaper?

--Ragul
Old 10th September 2011, 11:52   #5509
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Your posts are confusing.. did you use H4 or H1&H7?
Old 10th September 2011, 12:52   #5510
BHPian

Quote:
Upgraded to Helly 100/90W with Hella Relay kit. Costed Rs. 2000. The Hella kit comes with separate relays for both the lights. The light is much much better than the Osram NB 55/60W. Beams need to be adjusted and can be done manually.

Would recommend this setup.
Congrats on the upgrade!

Would you be able to post a couple of pics of the installation? Specifically of the round weather sealing cap behind the Headlamp assembly. I've put my 100/90 and HID plans on hold because I was told that this cover would have to be cut for the installation, to accommodate the cables. Once cut, the weather sealing takes a beating and we stand a chance of condensation inside the reflector housing.

The major gripe is that should we choose to go back to stock, this cover is not available separately. Comes only as part of the HL Assembly.

So if in your installation, they haven't modified the Cap, I would like to copy the same.

Thanks in anticipation!

Tassem.
Old 10th September 2011, 14:01   #5511
Senior - BHPian

I do have 90/100W Philips Rallye .And i am more than satisfied with them .
So ,how do i get projectors? Are there any specs that I need to look at ?

The local Philips dealer in bangalore told me that HIDs in normal reflectors should work ,but I remember reading that projectors are needed !

This is how people work here ...all they are bothered is selling their products !

Thanks everyone for clarifying
Old 10th September 2011, 16:42   #5512
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragul View Post
And I paid 850/- for Philips 80+ 60/55w bulbs!!
How come 100/90 is cheaper?

--Ragul
Getting more light/reach at the same power (60/55) is more difficult and hence more expensive. Getting more light at more power (100/90) is cheaper!

Quote:
1) Make sure that you use relay kit for them unless it's a Palio. As far as I know, Palio does not require additional relays since Palio already has it.
Even my Optra has inbuilt relays, BUT that does not exempt us from using a separate light harness! Even the wires used (after the relay to the lamps) matter a lot - if they do not have the required power rating, they will get overheated and burnt. The wiring harness with relay ensures that the lamps get the supply directly from the battery, and the relay is activated by your original harness.
keyur is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th September 2011, 22:41   #5513
BHPian

@Panky,
I've 2 cars Palio and Verna-Fluidic. Palio requires H1 (High Beam) + H7 (Low beam) bulbs. Verna requires H4 bulbs.

@Tassem,
Yes, I had to cut the cap too. I've tried to reduce the opening as much as possible by sticking double sided tape both inside and outside the cap, but only time will tell if it will stay that way.

Tassem, BTW, Darryl shipped 1.5" Autorunner for rear tyres today.

@Keyur,
Agree with you; however I hadn't changed my wiring or added ceramic holders when upgrading to 100W - 80W Philips Rally bulbs for Palio. Just ordered the bulbs online and fitted them myself. My Palio was manufactured in AUG-2002, and most of the components in it are Italy made. Those might have higher rating and were able to withstand the additional load. But yes, agree with you that it might be better to get separate relay wiring done for newer Palios.
junkishya is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th September 2011, 23:18   #5514
BHPian

[quote=junkishya;2501218
My Palio was manufactured in AUG-2002, and most of the components in it are Italy made. Those might have higher rating and were able to withstand the additional load. [/quote]

After a long drive with the lights on, just check the wires to see if they are heated up.
Old 10th September 2011, 23:34   #5515
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by junkishya
@Panky,
I've 2 cars Palio and Verna-Fluidic. Palio requires H1 (High Beam) + H7 (Low beam) bulbs. Verna requires H4 bulbs.

@Tassem,
Yes, I had to cut the cap too. I've tried to reduce the opening as much as possible by sticking double sided tape both inside and outside the cap, but only time will tell if it will stay that way.
The tape will be gone cos of the heat ,quite fast as well.
Anywhere near the bulb.
Old 10th September 2011, 23:59   #5516
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by keyur View Post
After a long drive with the lights on, just check the wires to see if they are heated up.
The 100W + 80W bulbs have been installed in Oct-2006, around 5 years ago. Have done 2 night round trips from Hyd - B'lore and 3 night trips to Hyd - Mum. Fortunately, haven't faced any issue except that this is the 2nd set that I'm using. The 1st set of bulbs got konked off after a couple of years ..

I've heard of a few cases (on Palio Users Group) about the stock holder melting off after installing 100W H1 on the new Palios.
Old 11th September 2011, 09:08   #5517
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sudipta View Post
Has anyone used HID auxiliary lights? If yes, please provide your feedback on the same.

1. Optilux H71020171 4" HID Driving Lamp by HELLA
Yes, Hella has some but priced high. Remember - they are not regular Hx type lamps. I have tried Optilux (not HID), but simpler ones and like some review mentioned, they are not good stuff. One lamp took in water straight away - drive in rain for some time, and there was water/vapor inside.

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedsatya View Post
projectors .. Are there any specs that I need to look at ?
Size ! Do you have enough space behind the H/L unit to fit the projector inside ? Suggest dont work on your current H/L. Pick up a set from russel market & work on that. Even if the unit you get from there is damaged, it's ok because once you have the projector, the reflector is not required.

Also, be sure it is for the main driving lamp. Some projectors are for fog lamps -like the Hyundai Elantra has. So that particular unit will possibly give out a wide beam than a long beam.
[/quote]

Quote:
I've heard of a few cases (on Palio Users Group) about the stock holder melting off after installing 100W H1 on the new Palios.
With time, stock holder will melt on any vehicle. If you upgrade the bulbs, then upgrade the holders to ceramic type.
condor is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 11th September 2011, 09:44   #5518
BHPian

Thanks Condor for your feedback. Hella/LightForce etc products are out of budget as each cost around $500 for the HID models.
Old 11th September 2011, 10:35   #5519
Distinguished - BHPian

@Sudipta, yes. These two are out of budget, especially if you are Not going to use those lamps regularly. If you do drive on the highway at night every other weekend, then the more expensive stuff could have justified the higher price.

You can explore the option of getting a pair of Rallye's (500FF / 700FF), and upgrade the bulbs to 90 or 100W. Cost effective too.

I myself am planning for 80W in my recently acquired set.
Old 11th September 2011, 13:21   #5520
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
Size ! Do you have enough space behind the H/L unit to fit the projector inside ? Suggest dont work on your current H/L. Pick up a set from russel market & work on that. Even if the unit you get from there is damaged, it's ok because once you have the projector, the reflector is not required.
Hi, Thanx ^^ - am tempted to go for HID with projector setup for my Jeep

Any pointers as to where in Chennai I could source the HID and projector ? and indicative prices? Currently, using Phillips 100/90 HLs - Beam throw is OK and not great especially low beam and I am wondering how to work on it!

Looks like finally I too am getting bit by the HID bug!!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks