Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories

Search this Thread
Old 23rd February 2012, 22:01   #5956
Senior - BHPian

Re: Auto Lighting thread : Post all queries about automobile lighting here

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnyBoi View Post
Can anyone tell me where to get the Philips Xtremevision ( the +100% one) and how much will it cost for H7 a pair?
This information has been published so many times in this thread. Just search this thread for complete address. I am using these bulbs for last 1 and half years and bought from "A K Traders" from JC Road. You can find their address in this thread as well as from Philips India website also.
Old 24th February 2012, 00:38   #5957
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vsoneja View Post
Nishant,

A dual headlamp relay should be easily available. The only issue is with the holders.

H1 & H7 bulbs when have a metallic base, these bulbs first are set into a very hard plastic holder and then inserted into the headlamp. the car's wiring then connects to these holders. This is how it is in the OEM setup.

For upgrading , you will need a dual headlamp relay and wiring kit which would come with it own holders. besides the bulbs that you purchase you will have to source the ceramic holders for the bulbs themselves too.

Bulb choices are a plenty, so that should not be an issue. the stock bulbs are H7 low beam 55W, H1 high beam 55W. so any marginal improvement should be ok.
Thanks for the quick revert! That solves the confusion pretty much.

So do you suggest that I ask the Fiat A.S.S to perform the upgrade? Is it too technical for my local guy to do?

A quick search on Philips automotive lighting website (which sadly was last updated 21-04-2009) tells me that highest available is 100w (H1) and 80w (H7). Is that the case with Osram too?
Old 24th February 2012, 10:19   #5958
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nishantgandhi View Post
Thanks for the quick revert! That solves the confusion pretty much.

So do you suggest that I ask the Fiat A.S.S to perform the upgrade? Is it too technical for my local guy to do?

A quick search on Philips automotive lighting website (which sadly was last updated 21-04-2009) tells me that highest available is 100w (H1) and 80w (H7). Is that the case with Osram too?
You get H1 & H7 combination relay kit along with cermaic holders, this is pretty much available everywhere and from Hella as well. The fix is not that difficult and can be done by the Auto accessories guy itself, if you take to A.S.S they will not entertain as I found out after speaking to the A.S.S branch manager
Old 24th February 2012, 12:29   #5959
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nishantgandhi View Post

Be a bit gentle on the headlamps.

When you upgrade form stock bulbs to essential power or something similar , even with the same wattage the lighting would be better. Now considering the fact you are upgrading both bulbs it would be wise to upgrade them to 80W configurations. 100 W bulbs do heat up a lot. extended use may cause problems.

I believea car running on an highway at 100 kmph will have a cooler headlamp as compared to the same headlamp when in bumper to bumper traffic.

my suggestions.

Upgrade the low beam to 80 W. and high beam to 80 W if majority of your driving is in city limits. if you do a lot of night driving on highways then upgrade to 100W for the high beams. otherwise the 80W should be good enough. and remember to turn off high beams when in bumper to bumper traffic or city driving.

one more point , If you compare the headlamps of cars like indica vista, palio , linea, fiesta (ie the ones with dual headlamps ) when running with high beams you have a better coverage as compared to the ones where you have a single bulb doing the job of a high & low beam. Primarily because in our cars the low beam stays on when you turn on the high beam.
Old 24th February 2012, 14:59   #5960
BHPian

Quote:
Nishant,

H1 & H7 bulbs when have a metallic base, these bulbs first are set into a very hard plastic holder and then inserted into the headlamp. the car's wiring then connects to these holders. This is how it is in the OEM setup.

For upgrading , you will need a dual headlamp relay and wiring kit which would come with it own holders. besides the bulbs that you purchase you will have to source the ceramic holders for the bulbs themselves too.
When changing the OEM holders to ceramic ones, is there any damage done to the headlamp sealing. My Ford A.s.s guy says there would be some damage done when removing the original holder to replace with the ceramic ones. He also says this will result in water seepage to the headlamp and will result in fogging. My Palio which had its headlamps upgraded had the fogging issue, I do not know if the headlamp upgrade was the reason for the same.
I do not want to get into the same situation with the Fiesta, any clues guys.

If at all there is damage done, can we use some sealant to seal off the edges of the holder, some kind of replaceable sealants? Any help in this regard will be great.
Old 24th February 2012, 15:03   #5961
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by basilmabraham View Post
When changing the OEM holders to ceramic ones, is there any damage done to the headlamp sealing. My Ford A.s.s guy says there would be some damage done when removing the original holder to replace with the ceramic ones. He also says this will result in water seepage to the headlamp and will result in fogging. My Palio which had its headlamps upgraded had the fogging issue, I do not know if the headlamp upgrade was the reason for the same.
I do not want to get into the same situation with the Fiesta, any clues guys.

If at all there is damage done, can we use some sealant to seal off the edges of the holder, some kind of replaceable sealants? Any help in this regard will be great.
I dont think there will be any damage. The reason for fogging is due to the fact that when the holder is removed, the air is trapped in. I had this problem when I installed the projectors. After few days it was gone.
If there is any damage to the holders, I guess you cant fix it using any sealants. Holders tend to get hot while operating and using sealants wont be a wise decision.
Old 24th February 2012, 15:16   #5962
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Be a bit gentle on the headlamps.

When you upgrade form stock bulbs to essential power or something similar , even with the same wattage the lighting would be better. Now considering the fact you are upgrading both bulbs it would be wise to upgrade them to 80W configurations. 100 W bulbs do heat up a lot. extended use may cause problems.

I believe a car running on an highway at 100 kmph will have a cooler headlamp as compared to the same headlamp when in bumper to bumper traffic.

my suggestions.

Upgrade the low beam to 80 W. and high beam to 80 W if majority of your driving is in city limits. if you do a lot of night driving on highways then upgrade to 100W for the high beams. otherwise the 80W should be good enough. and remember to turn off high beams when in bumper to bumper traffic or city driving.

one more point , If you compare the headlamps of cars like indica vista, palio , linea, fiesta (ie the ones with dual headlamps ) when running with high beams you have a better coverage as compared to the ones where you have a single bulb doing the job of a high & low beam. Primarily because in our cars the low beam stays on when you turn on the high beam.
I had a 100/90w setup (with relay etc) on my Getz for 2+ years. My primary reason for the upgrade then (and now) is because I do a lot of highway driving. And trust me, Linea just doesn't cut it there.

In the city, I'm more than conscious not to use high beam. Unless of course, it is to tame the person coming from opposite direction. There are several occasions when you encounter such fools on Mumbai roads.
Old 24th February 2012, 19:01   #5963
Senior - BHPian

Recently got Osram's All Season Bi-Lux bulbs [100/80]. It's got a nice subtle tinge of yellow to it and is by far the best bulb i have used and i have used a few

Philips Crystal Vision-->Philips Diamond Vision-->Philips Extreme Power-->OSram Nightbreakers-->Philips Rally 130/100-->Phillips Essential Vision 100/90 and finally the new Osram.

Also got Hella's Rallye 500 Black Magic lamps for highway driving.

Night driving comfort gone up by several notches.
deathwalkr is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th February 2012, 19:34   #5964
BHPian

Philips Rally - questions

Background:
I have been facing issues with my Philps Rallys on my zen for some time. i purchased them from AK traders in Sep 2010. I got 2 H4s 110/100 (yes, its not a mistake in rating ..refer here #3345 ) along with Roots relay kit and 100W H3s for fog lamps. Things were fine for more than a year. then one of the bulb's high beam conked off. So i replaced it with a Philips again, this time with a 130/100. so now one side was 130/100 and other on 110/100.

some months later, one of the philips H3 blew. i attributed it to a crack in the fog lamp lens and replaced this with a Hella H3 (philps was not available in stock at that time)

About a month back, one of the headlight's low beam conked off, followed by the other one within a week. since i drive late night from office with sparse traffic, i managed with the fog lamps and high beams.

Last saturday i made a trip to Tirupathi before which i was forced to change the bulbs as both sides low beams were not working. Replaced the Philps with Flosser 130/100 from Top choice Sarjapur road. Cost is 450 for a pair and the throw of beam is much much better than philips though i feel the brighness is not as much as in Philips for the same rating. i may not be right because with philips the beam was falling more closer to the ground in low or high beam, whereas this spread the light a little farther. (#3388) All said, at this point i am very happy with Flosser.

Question:
1. Has anyone here faced continuous issues with Philips Rally's?
2. Could the culprit here be the relay? (Roots is supposed to be one of the most reliable ones around. btw, i dont flash crazily like some people do)
3. If so, is there a life for the relay after which it starts failing?
4. Is there a place in Bangalore anyone can suggest where i can get the relay checked for any problems (and if it is worth the effort)
5. If the relay has to be replaced, do i stick with roots or change to something better (suggestion needed on which better one)
Old 28th February 2012, 20:02   #5965
BHPian

Re: Philips Rally - questions

Since you say your headlight & fog lamp blew one by one, Just check your alternator charging rate to be on safer side. May be over charging issue.
abhijitl is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th February 2012, 23:02   #5966
Senior - BHPian

Re: Philips Rally - questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhijitl View Post
Since you say your headlight & fog lamp blew one by one, Just check your alternator charging rate to be on safer side. May be over charging issue.
Could be that or the dynamo sending in different voltages. It happened to me once and was solved after a prompt dynamo service.
dass is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th February 2012, 09:45   #5967
BHPian

yesterday i inquired with one of the auto parts dealer in pune at nashik phata about relay kit and 100/90 bulbs.
he showed me ROOTS wiring kit along with relay and ceramic holders and philips rally 100/90 bulbs pair.
he quoted 2500 including installation for all these.
is this price good?
Old 29th February 2012, 11:09   #5968
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicky View Post
yesterday i inquired with one of the auto parts dealer in pune at nashik phata about relay kit and 100/90 bulbs.
he showed me ROOTS wiring kit along with relay and ceramic holders and philips rally 100/90 bulbs pair.
he quoted 2500 including installation for all these.
is this price good?
I think its on the higher side as Hella relay wiring kit is somewhere at the max 1k and the rallye bulbs would be a max of 300 bucks.
Old 29th February 2012, 14:51   #5969
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mail4ajo View Post
Remember the cost you paid? Pardon me for my ignorance...how does the relay help? Any other mods to the electricals?
The cutout relay is to keep the OEM wiring harness away from damage , since that is supposed to take load of 55W( generally) .

Go for a branded relay like BOSCH / Hella , easily availabe for close to 750-800 bucks . Personally , my humble suggestion would be to use Hella 100/90 ( very durable) costs you 300 for a pair .

Many folks have installed 100/90 bulbs without relays as well ( though strictly not a suggested option ) . Please use a relay wiring harness for the specified load . No other electrical mod is required .

Hope this helps !!
Old 29th February 2012, 15:46   #5970
BANNED

I need to get HID replacements for my H11 Fog lights in the Civic. My needs are

1. 2700K
2. Excellent quality bulbs and ballasts. I want to get one spare bulb.
3. Comprehensive loom. No cutting should be required.

Any suggested suppliers / sources?

Most Viewed