Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 28th November 2014, 10:11   #8626
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Auto Lighting thread : Post all queries about automobile lighting here

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnyBoi View Post
Fair point. However vehicles with DC systems can cope up with a higher wattage headlight since they are powered by the battery. The battery might get drained a bit by prolonged usage in the night, however it will get compensated by riding during the day.

Small changes like swapping brake/parking bulb and pilot lights to LEDs can also conserve power. Along with switching off lamps when stationary in traffic.

On my ZMA, I changed the rear (21W+5W) x 2 brake bulbs into (1W+2W) LEDs plus 5W x 2 pilots to 0.1W?? LED. That itself has compensated for the bigger 60/55W headlight. I'm still running this setup on a 5 year old battery and it easily copes with long rides in the night (2-3 hours) even with a monster Megasonic horn blaring
In your case, the ZMA has full DC Electricals. Hence worst case your battery may drain. That also can be sorted out by using a higher power battery.

But in the case of the Access, etc its mixed AC DC. The headlamp is totally isolated from the battery and is only powered directly by alternator. Hence, the alternator will be under excess load to drive a higher power bulb and can lead to failure too. That's the concern. Battery drain doesn't come into question in this case.
Old 28th November 2014, 11:22   #8627
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by audioholic View Post
I am not sure if the alternator of a scoot like Access, Dio can support a higher wattage headlight. Bigger engine bikes do have better charging systems that can support increased wattage and having DC Electricals is an added advantage in some bikes. However in scooters, I doubt increasing wattage would be a good thing to do. Even I have been looking towards better bulbs for my Dio but the current options and my usage aren't commanding a swap.
I did some more research on this topic.

Basically the H4 bulb seems to come with higher wattage only (50W and above).
That is where the problem is for scooters like Access.
We have to change many more bulbs to compensate for the increased load (like SunnyBoi has mentioned).
In the end the cheaper cost of H4 is offset by the other changes.

So, it makes more sense to get the more expensive HS1 directly (around Rs. 1000 if imported from ebay UK.)
Old 28th November 2014, 17:12   #8628
BHPian

Hello friends,

I'm looking forward to upgrade the headlamps of my Yamaha Fazer as I'm suffering problems when it gets dark at the time of oncoming traffic. I don't mean to blind anyone I drive on low beam most of the time. Please suggest a reliable solution (HIDs projectors or h4 halogens)? Budget = less than 5k.
Old 28th November 2014, 22:58   #8629
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by S_U_N View Post
That is where the problem is for scooters like Access.
We have to change many more bulbs to compensate for the increased load (like SunnyBoi has mentioned).
)
Well I did some calculations too. There are two bulbs in the speedometer console each 5W which is a 10W load. Next, the parking bulb is again 5W, and the rear brake light is 5W(continuous, 21W when braking).

Hence, totally that is 25W of load. Suppose I replace all these with LEDs, I can bring down the consumption to negligible values. That will spare 60W for the headlamp

Time to search or make LED lamps for the above applications
Old 29th November 2014, 06:11   #8630
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Well I did some calculations too. There are two bulbs in the speedometer console each 5W which is a 10W load. Next, the parking bulb is again 5W, and the rear brake light is 5W(continuous, 21W when braking).

Hence, totally that is 25W of load. Suppose I replace all these with LEDs, I can bring down the consumption to negligible values. That will spare 60W for the headlamp

You'll need T5 bulbs for the meter console, T10 for the parking bulb and 1156 for the brake/parking bulb.

Since you're in Bengaluru, lemme know if you want few bulbs, I have a few spare bulbs in my collection.

LED bulbs look wicked in clear lens tail lamps though

Auto Lighting thread : Post all queries about automobile lighting here-img_20141128_113902001.jpg

Quote:
Originally Posted by the13thtee View Post
Hello friends,

I'm looking forward to upgrade the headlamps of my Yamaha Fazer as I'm suffering problems when it gets dark at the time of oncoming traffic. I don't mean to blind anyone I drive on low beam most of the time. Please suggest a reliable solution (HIDs projectors or h4 halogens)? Budget = less than 5k.
I suggest you get a pair of LED auxiliary lights. You can switch them on when needed and they put far more light than halogens for the same wattage.

Below are a couple of Cree LED aux lamps I bought from eBay. 15$ for the 10W spot lamp. These pics were taken in daylight

Auto Lighting thread : Post all queries about automobile lighting here-img_20141121_135020001.jpg

20$ for the 15W spread lamp.

Auto Lighting thread : Post all queries about automobile lighting here-img_20141121_135131001.jpg
SunnyBoi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th November 2014, 07:44   #8631
BHPian

Quote:
I suggest you get a pair of LED auxiliary lights. You can switch them on when needed and they put far more light than halogens for the same wattage.

Below are a couple of Cree LED aux lamps I bought from eBay.
Thanks SunnyBoi, you are a real expert at this I guess. Further to my query, are these auxiliary LEDS fitted into the headlamps replacing the H4 halogen bulbs or do they need to be conected somewhere outside keeping the H4 halogens at their place? In the later case, will the battery be able to fetch power for both H4 halogens and auxiliary LEDs? Any suggestions for LED Tail lights? Any custom tail light setup for fz/fazer you heard of?
Old 29th November 2014, 10:21   #8632
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks SunnyBoi, you are a real expert at this I guess. Further to my query, are these auxiliary LEDS fitted into the headlamps replacing the H4 halogen bulbs or do they need to be conected somewhere outside keeping the H4 halogens at their place? In the later case, will the battery be able to fetch power for both H4 halogens and auxiliary LEDs? Any suggestions for LED Tail lights? Any custom tail light setup for fz/fazer you heard of?
hehe I'm no expert. I'm just experimenting on LEDs since I find them quite fascinating

These aux lamps are not mounted in the headlight, rather they can be mounted on the crash guard or beside the headlight using simple clamps.

Any mechanic will be able to wire them with a switch so that you can turn them on or off depending on your need. They wont sap much power, you can easily compensate for this by swapping the pilot and brake bulbs to LEDs.

For LED tail lights, get 1157 LED tail lamp bulbs with dual filament. Search on eBay.com or aliexpress for a plethora of options.
SunnyBoi is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th November 2014, 11:22   #8633
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Well I did some calculations too.

While at it, you might also want to check out the bulbs above the rear number plate (if present in your car). The hidden little buggers will also be taking 5ish watts I think.

Last edited by Reinhard : 29th November 2014 at 11:23.
Old 29th November 2014, 19:27   #8634
Senior - BHPian

@sunnyboi: Can you please post some pictures of the completed setup on the scooter?

Mounting on clamps has its own issues - vibration, water leakage etc.

Also, in the process of downgrading all the auxiliary lights, do we need to change or cut any stock wiring?

Edit: What is the 'parking light'? I hope we are talking about scooters at the moment.

Last edited by S_U_N : 29th November 2014 at 19:29.
Old 30th November 2014, 08:10   #8635
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
@sunnyboi: Can you please post some pictures of the completed setup on the scooter?

Mounting on clamps has its own issues - vibration, water leakage etc.

Also, in the process of downgrading all the auxiliary lights, do we need to change or cut any stock wiring?

Edit: What is the 'parking light'? I hope we are talking about scooters at the moment.
I dont have a scooter but a bike is somewhat similar I believe. This is how the spot lamp looks when mounted. Pretty discreet for me Right now its aimed at the sky; bike repairs went till ~10.30pm last night and didn't get a chance to aim it right. Will do so today!

Parking light is the LED bulb located beneath the headlight in the pic. Some vehicles have it and some don't.

Auto Lighting thread : Post all queries about automobile lighting here-img_20141130_075709001.jpg
Old 30th November 2014, 20:42   #8636
Senior - BHPian

Did some testing on the LED on a field this evening.

I have Philips Xtremevision 60/55 bulb on Full DC system, which means headlight in the pics are at 100%.

All off

Auto Lighting thread : Post all queries about automobile lighting here-1.jpg

LED only

Auto Lighting thread : Post all queries about automobile lighting here-2.jpg

Low beam

Auto Lighting thread : Post all queries about automobile lighting here-3.jpg

Low beam + LED

Auto Lighting thread : Post all queries about automobile lighting here-4.jpg

High beam

Auto Lighting thread : Post all queries about automobile lighting here-5.jpg

High beam + LED

Auto Lighting thread : Post all queries about automobile lighting here-6.jpg

It is not so apparent but the halogen is totally outclassed by the LED

As of this moment I have ordered a second one to be mounted on the left side
SunnyBoi is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 1st December 2014, 12:05   #8637
BHPian

Quote:
As of this moment I have ordered a second one to be mounted on the left side
Have the above pictures been taken with just one LED lamp? Can you share a link of the same? as there are so many types of the cree leds online. Also I'll need to dis-assemble the speedo console to check and replace the bulbs on my Fazer. And yes the halogen are nothing compared to the LEDs.
Old 1st December 2014, 16:32   #8638
Senior - BHPian

@SunnyBoi: Thank you for the pictures.

I see no easy option for those with scooters to mount such an LED.
Also, from the picture, the LED output is clearly that of a spotlight, which means we need at least two LED's to have some sort of 'spread'. Now, this means more wattage and more strain on the electronics.

Isn't it better to buy one of those LED strips available in the market?
Old 1st December 2014, 16:53   #8639
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Have the above pictures been taken with just one LED lamp? Can you share a link of the same? as there are so many types of the cree leds online. Also I'll need to dis-assemble the speedo console to check and replace the bulbs on my Fazer. And yes the halogen are nothing compared to the LEDs.
This id the spot light which I've bought :

http://www.ebay.com/itm/201158612638

Quote:
@SunnyBoi: Thank you for the pictures.

I see no easy option for those with scooters to mount such an LED.
Also, from the picture, the LED output is clearly that of a spotlight, which means we need at least two LED's to have some sort of 'spread'. Now, this means more wattage and more strain on the electronics.

Isn't it better to buy one of those LED strips available in the market?
There are LEDs for spread as well. Like the other variety I mentioned few posts ago.

Link for Spread LED : http://www.ebay.com/itm/191172687983

LED Strips don't give anywhere close to the light given by these lights.

BTW, this is H4 bulb on a HS1 beam.

Auto Lighting thread : Post all queries about automobile lighting here-img_20141130_145605.jpg

Last edited by SunnyBoi : 1st December 2014 at 16:54.
Old 1st December 2014, 17:25   #8640
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
This id the spot light which I've bought :

http://www.ebay.com/itm/201158612638
Sunny, it says 30W
I am quite surprised. Cree 30W array is expensive. Is it really 30W? Can you check the current draw? That will give us a fair idea.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks