Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 29th October 2014, 15:25   #8521
BHPian

Re: Auto Lighting thread : Post all queries about automobile lighting here

I am planning on an upgrade to my Alto K10's headlamps and wanted some suggestions. The easy, no brainer option would be to go for OSRAM night breakers or Philips RallyVision 100/90 H4s. However, the dealer suggested that I go for another brand called Flosser - which is apparently a German company which makes awesome headlamps. I did find them after searching on Google but I needed more input from you guys.

Are the Flosser 100/90 H4s really good?

The dealer says that there is no "Warranty" for the bulbs but he will use a Philips Relay/Wiring setup which will come with a 1 year warranty. Now, after reading few posts on the thread, my next question is whether I will need any other type of holders (Ceramic/bakelite) for the bulbs? Are they going to get really hot?

Really new to this headlight domain so any help in understanding what I need will be really really really helpful!

Any other pointers are welcome!
Old 29th October 2014, 15:36   #8522
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vsathyap View Post
Are the Flosser 100/90 H4s really good? ...whether I will need any other type of holders (Ceramic/bakelite) for the bulbs? Are they going to get really hot?
About Flosser brand, some other BHPian who have used it can comment.

Talking about 100/90 bulbs, you definitely need to change the holders to ceramic or whatever similar types are available in the market for rally bulbs. Yes they are going to get really hot, in some cases, hot enough to melt/fume some plastic components inside headlamps which in turn causes smoking on the inside of headlamp lens.The plastic holder would not take the heat produced by a 100/90 bulb. Please change the holders and be safe if upgrading to 100 watts bulbs.

Last edited by ajaypjayaraj : 29th October 2014 at 15:51.
Old 29th October 2014, 15:51   #8523
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeedyS View Post
I am a total novice and do not even understand the basics regarding electrical related things, can you please suggest an electrician with this much understanding and patience in Delhi from where I can get this work done.
Dear SpeedyS - the only person in Delhi that I will tell you to go to with complete confidence is the workshop of my very dear and respected friend Mr.Ravikant Dhawan, better known as Tutu Dhawan. He is extremely knowledgeable and passionate, I am 100% sure he will help you out. Don't take chance with headlights, there is only one way to do a perfect job and that is the only correct way!

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar
DHABHAR.BEHRAM is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 29th October 2014, 16:00   #8524
Distinguished - BHPian

My WagonR is running on the same set-up (Relay Kit, Porcelain Heat Resistant Holders & 100/90 Philips Rally Bulbs) and I till now have not faced single instance of overheating that would have melted the Holders/Reflector or faded them.

-No of Years since this set-up - 6 Years
-No of KMS run with this set-up - At least 170,000 kms!
-No of times the Bulbs/Filament has fused - Not more than 3 times till now
-Any Night drives? - Mostly Early morning starts at 4am and all night drives starting at 10pm spanning 500 to 1000+ kms in one go and my typical office return after 9pm since the last 5 years
-Any signs of fading of reflectors? - Well, so far none plus my car after running almost 220k kms now is still on OE Headlamp reflectors

My Ertiga also runs on the same set-up since almost 25k kms.

What is most important during this installation is the Ground points for both (L and R) Holders. Make sure a proper Ground location is chosen and if possible, peel off a bit of paint to ensure proper contact.

Apart from this, please make sure that you get a proper wiring kit with a good gauge/thickness wire. There are plenty available in the market but I have found Roots and Minda better in terms of Build than the latest one (Philips).

Lastly, the Relay and the 2 30A Fuses must be mounted or fit inside the bonnet in such a way that they are not in direct contact with water when it rains or when you get the car washed or when the water from below the engine gushes inside due to driving in rains. The Relay is connected to a socket and is susceptible to corrosion leading to missing contacts in long run. Cleaning them regularly or applying Battery terminal spray will help. Same is applicable to the 2 fuses as well.

Use nylon Ties to route the wires of the Kit as much far away from the engine and ensure they are not hanging loose and susceptible to rubbing against surfaces inside leading of peeling of insulation resulting in shorts (Though the Kit itself comes with a typical ribbed plastic tubing)
paragsachania is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th October 2014, 16:59   #8525
BHPian

When I saw smoked lens of head lamps on cars, I used to wonder how can the lens of some cars fade when others don't. Then I thought it could be that the heat of high wattage bulbs cause fading of plastic lens. All these were assumptions till I did some DIY projects on headlamps which required opening up of headlamps as in heating/baking the housing to separate the lens from the base. Once opened up, I realized it is not that the lens faded but a very fine layer of some plastic component or poor quality wire insulation fuming that settled on the insides of the lens/headlamp glass. You can just wipe it clean. Its a simple dusty black layer that coats on the inside which comes off with just one wipe. So basically the headlamp reflector, lens, etc. did not fade but the smoked inside of the lens appeared to be faded that's all. Once that is cleaned, headlamp looked as good as new.

What is important is to make sure good quality components like holder, wire, etc. are used which will be exposed to the heat. I have seen OE wire inside the housing, which was not for the main beams, completely melted out leaving bare metal wires. This rubber was completely fumed out causing smoking of lens. Use components that suit the purpose (heat bearing in this case) and you wont face any fading/smoking issues. But I personally stopped using rally bulbs after that. Have only 1 advice to those who convert to rally bulbs. Kindly avoid driving continuously on high beams when there is traffic ahead. Use them for flashing or on empty stretches of road where there is no risk of dazzling other motorists.
Old 29th October 2014, 21:33   #8526

Quote:
Originally Posted by DHABHAR.BEHRAM View Post
Dear SpeedyS - the only person in Delhi that I will tell you to go to with complete confidence is the workshop of my very dear and respected friend Mr.Ravikant Dhawan, better known as Tutu Dhawan. He is extremely knowledgeable and passionate, I am 100% sure he will help you out. Don't take chance with headlights, there is only one way to do a perfect job and that is the only correct way!

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar
Sir, Thanks for your precious reply.
You mean to say the famous Tutu Dhawan? I have seen him on TV and auto expos but never knew he had a workshop. Will find his workshop.
Old 30th October 2014, 11:23   #8527
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Sir, Thanks for your precious reply.
You mean to say the famous Tutu Dhawan? I have seen him on TV and auto expos but never knew he had a workshop. Will find his workshop.
Dear SpeedyS - you are correct, he is the same gentleman. Give him my regards when you meet him! .

By the way, our (his and my) common hobby is motorsports, you will appreciate how important headlights are for us when we drive full nights. No compromises at all, only daylight.

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar
DHABHAR.BEHRAM is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st October 2014, 02:02   #8528
BHPian

I wanted to improve the lighting of the S60 since I find it a bit low at night.
Since it has ABL lamps I cannot see many options, but to improve the light output from the existing arrangement without complete replacement.
Will a higher wattage lamp trigger an alarm in the console?
I believe the electronic module can be tricked into believing that a lower power bulb is in use but is it possible that there will be heat damage to the light housing?
Will the wires have to be replaced?
Attached Thumbnails
Auto Lighting thread : Post all queries about automobile lighting here-20140904_081447.jpg  

Old 31st October 2014, 10:20   #8529
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfxavier View Post
I wanted to improve the lighting of the S60 since I find it a bit low at night.

Are you talking about the HID lamp up-gradation or any other filament lamps? If it's the HID lamp you want to upgrade, there's one simple direct swap solution and a perfect one. But if you are talking about filament bulbs and increasing their wattage, concerns you raised might have to be dealt with. Could you specify what lamp are we talking about, as in filament or HID?
ajaypjayaraj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st October 2014, 17:19   #8530
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajaypjayaraj View Post
Are you talking about the HID lamp up-gradation or any other filament lamps? If it's the HID lamp you want to upgrade, there's one simple direct swap solution and a perfect one. But if you are talking about filament bulbs and increasing their wattage, concerns you raised might have to be dealt with. Could you specify what lamp are we talking about, as in filament or HID?
I also believe that the HID upgrade is a better solution.
can you give me the details, please.
Old 31st October 2014, 18:22   #8531
BHPian

Auto Lighting thread : Post all queries about automobile lighting here

Quote:

If you want to improve the HID output of your car, you can upgrade just the bulbs to Osram Night breaker Unlimited HIDs. Expensive and not easily available (Read your tyre upgrade/import thread, so you would know about sourcing these from abroad if not available locally) but as far as I've read from various international forums and heard from some vendors, these are the best available HID bulbs in the market. I was looking for it when installing OE Bi-xenons in my car but the kit came with Philips OE bulbs which are good themselves. So din't get these finally. But the same guy who sourced my HID kits had the same opinion about the above mentioned product when enquired. You can check details about it here - http://www.osram.com/osram_com/news-...ails/index.jsp

Good luck.

Last edited by ajaypjayaraj : 31st October 2014 at 18:23.
Old 31st October 2014, 18:27   #8532
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by paragsachania View Post
My Ertiga also runs on the same set-up since almost 25k kms.
Was this a DIY or did you get it done at some place? Can you post the details of the electrician you got it done at if it was not a DIY.
If its already there in your Ertiga ownership report, let me know and i'll look at it too.
Old 31st October 2014, 18:45   #8533

Quote:
Dear jfxavier, According to my knowledge and belief, the lights fitted on the S60 are Xenon, which are any day superior to HIDs. Just ask someone at Volvo service station to adjust the focus of the headlights. Maybe that is the reason you are not satisfied with them.
Regards,
Stark
Old 31st October 2014, 20:23   #8534
BHPian

Quote:
Dear jfxavier, According to my knowledge and belief, the lights fitted on the S60 are Xenon, which are any day superior to HIDs. Just ask someone at Volvo service station to adjust the focus of the headlights. Maybe that is the reason you are not satisfied with them.
Regards,
Stark
I am planning to try and raise the low beam setting if possible during the next visit to ASS. I hope it doesn't get reset due to the auto levelling function rechecking the lights after each startup. ANyone who has more idea about the auto leveling function, please comment.
Not sure if the original light is 35W or a higher one. Will have to check.
Old 31st October 2014, 21:04   #8535
BHPian

Quote:

Dear SpeedyS, when people say HIDs, they normally refer to HID Xenons only. I'm curious to know what other HIDs have you come across in automotive lighting. There are other gases used in HID lamps but I have seen only xenon HIDs in automotive lighting. So its either called HIDs or Xenons most of the time instead of saying HID Xenons completely. Just FYI there are xenon filament bulbs too. Don't confuse with that also.

And if you go through GTO's review of Volvo S60 T6, he has clearly mentioned about the head light output of this car. Further if you research, you would realize that Osram Xenarc NB unlimiteds have a reputation of being one of the best xenon HID lamps available. Now focussing, as you suggested is correct. A headlamp needs to be properly aligned for efficiency. An upgrade is recommended after confirming that light output is still insufficient after proper alignment.

Quote:
I am planning to try and raise the low beam setting if possible during the next visit to ASS. I hope it doesn't get reset due to the auto levelling function rechecking the lights after each startup. ANyone who has more idea about the auto leveling function, please comment.
Not sure if the original light is 35W or a higher one. Will have to check.
There is a procedure in which the car is made to learn the new zero level setting for auto leveling. A.S.S. guys should be able do it connecting their OBD tool. Properly align the HLs and see if the light output is satisfactory like SpeedyS suggested. If not, you always have the option of upgrading the HID lamps.

Last edited by ajaypjayaraj : 31st October 2014 at 21:20. Reason: Added info.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks