Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 9th May 2008, 17:43   #1666
Senior - BHPian

check your car wiring kit(improper installation by mistake) to see if both beams come together when high or low is selected. might solve the issue.
Old 9th May 2008, 20:34   #1667
Team-BHP Support

relay woes

Quote:
Originally Posted by married2speed View Post
He said that this has nothing to do with the alternator and that a relay of around 500Ampere was to be installed.
I got the car serviced about 2K before from honda and had there been a problem with the alternator, wouldn't have that come up during the service? Is the MASS guy taking me for a ride or should i get the alternator checked from Honda and get pinched from them?
Problems with components can come up anytime - you can't really blame the service center unless they're delibrately screwing things up under the hood.
Eventually these're electronic & mechanical components - which may / may not fail as they please.
If your car starts up OK and the normal electricals are functioning as they should, then your alternator can be ruled out as the culprit.
Your mechanic wants to install a 500A relay, or do you have 500A relays installed? If so, use a different mechanic.
30A relays should be more than sufficient for normal operation.
Quote:
It's just the high beam which blows off and the pattern is quite erratic. It starts off from the right one and after the right one is replaced, the left one blows out. Seems like the car is conspiring against me not to have 2 full high beams

aah78 - you mentioned about a mess up while wiring up the relay. How do we check if there's a problem with the relay. Some diagnostic perhaps. Maybe the relay itself is ok but the wiring not quite ok?
This may sound crazy but, have they put in a single relay to control both high-beams? There should be one relay per.
Direct lines (12V) from your battery (preferable) or alternator - make sure they have inline fuses (20-30A) before the relays, not too far from the source.
The headlights will be grounded but check that your relays are too. Make sure they're grounded tightly to the chassis with paint scraped off.

Alternate:
Get rid off all this wiring mumbo-jumbo and get yourself the new Philips X-treme Power bulbs. They're great.
Just had a pair fitted onto my LR3 - 12V, 55W - standard wattage but much brighter than the standard OSRAM halogens.

Last edited by aah78 : 9th May 2008 at 20:39. Reason: alternate
Old 10th May 2008, 00:21   #1668
BHPian

Hi again all

Tsk 1979 - u got it bull's eye. The tube does blow out soon after or during the FLASHING process but as anupamathur mentioned, how or why?
from what i understand is that the tubes blow out when excess of current is passed onto them. With the alternator giving a and the rest of the electricals working fine, it doesn't seem to be an alternator problem. This leaves us with the relay and the battery. Since the car starts pretty good even after 3 years, (kudos to amaron for that) it is highly unlikely that it's a battery problem. That leaves us with the relay or perhaps some wire issue. Let me post a picture of HOW the relay has been set up. Maybe, just maybe that could be a source of problem and an earthing problem?

aah78 - There is just a single relay installed and although i do understand your point of view, what i don't understand is that most of the other cars too have a single relay installed. Has anyone else experienced such frequent blow outs? 2nd installing more than 1 relay, wont' that be a drainer on the battery?
PS: I did run the thought across the guy at qutab motors of putting in 4 relays, something which he laughed at

[Alternate:
Get rid off all this wiring mumbo-jumbo and get yourself the new Philips X-treme Power bulbs. They're great.
Just had a pair fitted onto my LR3 - 12V, 55W - standard wattage but much brighter than the standard OSRAM halogens.[/quote]

how about putting a picture across.

Thanks again for all the suggestions. this surely is fun and informative
Old 10th May 2008, 01:18   #1669
BHPian

Hi Gigy
When the stalk is flashed, only the high beam goes on and the low beam is shut out.
Cheers!
M2S
Old 10th May 2008, 08:12   #1670
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Tsk 1979 - u got it bull's eye. The tube does blow out soon after or during the FLASHING process but as anupamathur mentioned, how or why?
Bravo, Tanveer!

Now, please try to figure out the how & why of it.
Is this to do with both high & low beams coming on together? Ought not to be.
Does it mean the bulbs are inherently of 'poor' quality/design? Like the cold resistance being too low, attracting a heavy inrush of current which blows the filament?
Old 10th May 2008, 09:10   #1671
Senior - BHPian

On the High and low beam being flashed simultaneously. I think if the wattage is 90/100, then you stand a chance of fusing the high beam. Not so in a 55/60.
Since the glass/gas in the bulb is tuned to receive not more than the high beam (100), when you flash both, it causes the wattage to reach 100+90=190. Sustained wattage at 190 will cause the bulb to fuse.

On Philips xtreme, Ive been using it for about 4 months on my NHC. The light is far better than the stock and no issue of relay etc, since it is stock wattage(60/55). Do try it out.. Will solve your problem AFAIK.. Ive heard it is now available in the market. They were plagued with supply problems initially. but that has now been taken care of..
Old 10th May 2008, 09:53   #1672
BHPian

[quote]
Quote:
Originally Posted by hrman View Post
On the High and low beam being flashed simultaneously. I think if the wattage is 90/100, then you stand a chance of fusing the high beam. Not so in a 55/60.
Since the glass/gas in the bulb is tuned to receive not more than the high beam (100), when you flash both, it causes the wattage to reach 100+90=190. Sustained wattage at 190 will cause the bulb to fuse.
If this were to be the case, then the tubes should blow out on the very first flash. Moreover, both the tubes should blow out simultaneously and should not be exhibiting the erratic behavior that my car is showing

Also, when the flash is being used, then the switch turns on which means that the current to the low beam is routed/bypassed to the high beam, so there's only 1 light on at a given point of time to keep the maximum load of 100. If this doesn't happen, then what you are saying would also apply to 60/55W, which means at flashing the total should be 115W and even these lights should blow out but they don't.
Your thoughts please
M2S
Old 10th May 2008, 10:19   #1673
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Sounds good hrman, but I find it difficult to believe that high & low beams can be turned on simultaneously, even if using the stalk to flash.
I would expect that the low beam would be cut-off when flashing.
And if there are cars where both can be turned on together, even momentarily, it would be fair to expect that bulb makers enable/design their bulbs to withstand that condition.

Can someone please throw more light on this (high beam preferred!)?
Old 10th May 2008, 10:36   #1674
Team-BHP Support

I use 130/110W philips in the left headlight and 100/90 halonix in right. On highways I flash beams, and many times high and low come on together.
But unless you do it very very frequently there will not be an issue.
In the past 2 years I have had just one high beam blow.
Since in married2speed's case, this tube blowout is happening while flashing, it looks to be a relay wiring problem, with terminals fouled up.
Good quality relays come with a wiring diagram, so check that out and see if matches.
I know a good electrician in Noida, if you want his contact PM me.
He will check your car's entire wiring.
You can get halonix 100/90 from noida itself and try it out too.
Old 10th May 2008, 11:34   #1675
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anupmathur View Post
Sounds good hrman, but I find it difficult to believe that high & low beams can be turned on simultaneously, even if using the stalk to flash.
Certain cars have a stalk arrangement in which while driving on low-beam if you flash then the high-beam comes on WITH the low-beam staying on also. My car (OHC) also has this system & dare I say I've blown quite a few 100/90 bulbs trying to teach those pesky truckers a lesson in blinding!

Anup ji - Want a demo of this phenomenon? I might be around X - 1 soon!!
Old 10th May 2008, 11:45   #1676
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by iraghava View Post
Certain cars have a stalk arrangement in which while driving on low-beam if you flash then the high-beam comes on WITH the low-beam staying on also. My car (OHC) also has this system & dare I say I've blown quite a few 100/90 bulbs trying to teach those pesky truckers a lesson in blinding!

Right Iraghava.. I have a couple of friends with OHC where their bulbs have fused with prolonged usage of High and low beam together.
Im however not able to explain how either of the bulbs fuses and not both together.
Old 10th May 2008, 12:33   #1677
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by iraghava View Post

That being the case, why don't bulb makers do something about it??

______________and Ishan, you are most welcome to drop by if you're ever in the vicinity!
Old 10th May 2008, 12:38   #1678
BHPian

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Right Iraghava.. I have a couple of friends with OHC where their bulbs have fused with prolonged usage of High and low beam together.
Im however not able to explain how either of the bulbs fuses and not both together.
Is it possible that it could be a faulty switch/light assembly, which forces both the lights to remain on while flashing?
TSK 1979 - sounds like it's down to the relay issue. I'll come down to noida as soon as I can.
Cheers!
M2S
Old 15th May 2008, 16:14   #1679
Senior - BHPian

I plan to instal the new head lights on my Ikon. The mechanic is informing instead of philips make I can go in for GE make. The wattage will be 90/100. Is this equally good or better than Philips. Pls suggest...
Old 15th May 2008, 16:34   #1680
Senior - BHPian

Hi!

Philips, Osram, Narva are the brands I've used/heard of, and are reliable. If you go for 90/100 then a relay is a must.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks