Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories

Search this Thread
Old 16th June 2008, 23:10   #1801
BHPian

Decipher help

I was following thread for a while to upgrade my swift headlamps.
I read through a few pages, but to read through every thing, I would say is a challenge(121 pages)
I recently came to know that 100/90 means 100W for high beam, and 90W for low beam.

I still couldn't understand few terms like "projector head lamps" and few other varieties mentioned in the posts.
May I request experts to post these technical details about head lamps in easy to understand terms.
Things like commonly used terms, their use, significance etc would be of real help.

thanks in advance...
Old 16th June 2008, 23:17   #1802
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Invinsible View Post
Hi, need urgent help for fabia with projector headlamp (elegance model). Would like to fit and hid Kit to the fabia.
I am looking at the 6000k light.

1. I wanted to know if its advisable to fit it to both low and high beam. Also, Is it safe to put it on to the fog lamp?
2. Is it worth going for the Philips hid for the low beam compared to the other makes?
3. I came across with the hid kits on ebay.in It says its bosch but doesn't seem to printed on it. Is it safe to buy them from the ebay?
4. Whats the life of these kit ? does it require a change in the future?

Your inputs will be highly helpful.

Thanks.
Have you checked what holder size would fit in your fabia projector? i think its a d2s bulb which i dont think is available in delhi atleast. you need to order it online.
Old 16th June 2008, 23:20   #1803
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sriturl View Post
I was following thread for a while to upgrade my swift headlamps.
I read through a few pages, but to read through every thing, I would say is a challenge(121 pages)
I recently came to know that 100/90 means 100W for high beam, and 90W for low beam.

I still couldn't understand few terms like "projector head lamps" and few other varieties mentioned in the posts.
May I request experts to post these technical details about head lamps in easy to understand terms.
Things like commonly used terms, their use, significance etc would be of real help.

thanks in advance...
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/modifi...amps-m800.html
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/modifi...-page-3-a.html
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/modifi...mps-verna.html

check out the above links they might help you
Projectors are the head lamps found in car's like skoda laura (most common)
Old 17th June 2008, 01:11   #1804
BHPian

I switched to Philips Rally 90/100 from Halonix 90/100 +60 as one of the Halonix hi beam blew a few weeks ago.

Did highway driving and also drove on the hills at night day before. The light and throw is excellent. I'm extremely satisfied with the brightness, the road on the hills had just lit up so well and the highway experience was very convincing and confident. Better than the Halonix +60, Philips Bluevision 90/100 and Osram.
Old 17th June 2008, 02:09   #1805
BHPian

Hey Team, whats your take on putting a HID kit on a zen? What must I keep in mind while shopping for the kit? As you see, am holidaying out of India now and i dont have my car here.

I want info regarding the socket, and mainly, if a HID kit will melt my reflectors. If things dont workout,am better off picking 90/100 halogens (white colour with blue tinge). Any other points I must look out for when I make the purchase. I dont want to end up buying the kit and finally getting to know that it wont suit my car. I want the right fit.

Plus, if I upgrade to a new car, can I shift the HID kit to the new car?

Do tell me asap guys, am going tomorrow to shop.

BTW my zen is a Di and has a DIN44 amaron battery, so I dont think the HIDs can drain my battery right? It also takes the load of a 500W basstube and a 4ch amp.
Old 17th June 2008, 02:41   #1806
BHPian

I will go for 6000K kit and I have some questions,

1. suppose I end up buying some cheap *** kit, like the fake BOSCHs we have in India, are those better than the 90/100 philips rally, etc??? How reliable will they be???

2. Can I shift the kit to my new car?

3. Since the zen does not have clear headlamps, will that cause a problem?

Last edited by furioussphinx : 17th June 2008 at 02:58.
Old 17th June 2008, 10:48   #1807
BHPian

H.I.D's dont melt the headlamps if they are genuine,H.i.d's will be much brighter than the 90/100 bulbs,and H.I.D'S dont drain the battery as they only need 3.7amp of current when running constantly and H.I.D is only 35w hence is like low power consuption and more light.

Zen should have H4 holder which can be transfered to almost any other indian car,What ever kit you just check for the warranty you get
Old 17th June 2008, 17:29   #1808
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by noidaboy View Post
H.I.D's dont melt the headlamps if they are genuine,H.i.d's will be much brighter than the 90/100 bulbs,and H.I.D'S dont drain the battery as they only need 3.7amp of current when running constantly and H.I.D is only 35w hence is like low power consuption and more light.

Zen should have H4 holder which can be transfered to almost any other indian car,What ever kit you just check for the warranty you get
thanks a lot noidaboy.

So I assume that even a some fake chinese HID will be much brighter than original brightest 90/100 halogens,right?

One last Question,Since the zen does not have clear headlamps, will that cause a problem?
Old 17th June 2008, 18:11   #1809
BHPian

My Zen Estilo

I have recently changed the headlamps in my new Zen Estilo.It came fitted with Halonix H4 12V 60/55W bulbs which had a ok light for city roads,but inappropriate for highways.I had it changed to Philips Rally H4 12V 130/100W with twin Relay from a company called Anmol(they allegedly does supply to Mahindra cars,am not sure though about this!).The relays are twin ,one each for each bulb.Had it done for a week now,no problems till date touch wood.

Both throw and area of illumination is much much higher and driving is a pleasure now.
There are only 2 big strikes against these bulbs,
1)Its written on the pack that 'Not approved for public roads'
2)They generate more than 200 degree C of heat,the headlight assembly becomes real hot,but I had this same set-up in my earlier car and never had a problem for >2years,although that wasnt a clear lens headlamp assembly.
Dont know whether rains may cause a blow for the bulbs!
Before I had put this set up in my earlier car,I had it changed number of times to (in that order)->Philips 100/90W Rally-->Narva 100/90W-->lastly the Philips Rally 130/100W.Was happy with the last one.

Is this set up ok in the new Zen Estilo?Could any senior tech gurus please guide?I may later shift to Xenon HIDs(not now though).

The prices quoted for Xenon HIDs are as follows in Kolkata:

Cheap chinese imitations are somewhere between Rs 4000 to Rs 8000
Bosch without B&W is Rs 12000
Philips with B&W is Rs 17000 (allegedly,this only comes with B&w).

Sadly though,Angel eyes set up is not available yet for Zen Estilos

Hope this helps all,thanks in advance.
Old 17th June 2008, 22:16   #1810
BHPian

furioussphinx yes,the light will be brigther,and even if you dont have clear lamps,makes no difference "carholic" from tbhp is using hids in his santro type1 w/o clearlamps they work normally.

and FYI :Bosch actully doesnt not make H.I.D.s What ever you get in the market are imitations,hence don't over pay anyone even if they say its genuine bosch,even bosch(imitation) has different varieties in the market so check for the ones with a better build quality,opt for the one's with 1yr min warranty .And its better if you go for installation during the evening time,Check the intensity of the kit before you buy,and get all covers(silver ones) on the tube removed from the h.i.d for maximum effect

Last edited by noidaboy : 17th June 2008 at 22:19. Reason: typo
Old 18th June 2008, 02:35   #1811
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by noidaboy View Post
furioussphinx yes,the light will be brigther,and even if you dont have clear lamps,makes no difference "carholic" from tbhp is using hids in his santro type1 w/o clearlamps they work normally.

and FYI :Bosch actully doesnt not make H.I.D.s What ever you get in the market are imitations,hence don't over pay anyone even if they say its genuine bosch,even bosch(imitation) has different varieties in the market so check for the ones with a better build quality,opt for the one's with 1yr min warranty .And its better if you go for installation during the evening time,Check the intensity of the kit before you buy,and get all covers(silver ones) on the tube removed from the h.i.d for maximum effect
Thanks a lot buddy! Just back from window shopping. Saw the fake BOSCH and even fake PHILIPS kits, going for 700QR (Rs.8260) w/o warranty. Junked the idea of buying here. Will buy them in India itself but now a little delay of a month. Till then, ill pick some good 90/100 bulbs.
Old 19th June 2008, 11:24   #1812
BANNED

Guys, i need help. I just replaced the headlight bulbs for my Esteem with H4 type (Tenzo, Japanese brand). But i forgot to order for the side lights which are small triangle shaped lights for esteem. What i wish to know is what type of bulbs should i buy for those side lights, as i had ordered the Tenzo from ebay site and would ask him to ship me those as well.

Appreciate your support
Udit
Old 19th June 2008, 15:20   #1813
BANNED

Just ordered T10 Wedge bulbs.
Old 20th June 2008, 12:20   #1814

Quote:
Originally Posted by nirav_j View Post
Hello guys, i have an OHC 1.3 exi (Type 1), i had bought it used and its headlights came with bullet like holes @ the focus of the beam.

I replaced the headlights, (the plastic) with new ones, they lasted for around 6-8 months and even these are melting around the focus are of the headlight, and developing into bullet holes, (( size of a 50 paise coin hole )) on the headlight.

I have checked the bulbs, and they are 130/100. I guess the high beams the culprit @ 130W and am thoroughly dissatisfied with the low beam, so was planning to install HIDs.

Anyone here installed HIDs on the OHC type 1?? and could someone please guide me as to the wattage of the HID and its effect on the headlights.

I have installed a 55W HID on my karizma, its an H4 bulb with high and low beams and 6000K, illuminations just great, and as of now i havent had any reflector getting burnt issues, but i havent used it to a great extent @ night. So will have to see how it performs @ longer night rides.

@ my OHC : i want to make sure that the plastic in the headlight doesnt burn away even more after putting the HIDs compared the the previous halogen bulbs, would appreciate any pointers in this regard.
***BUMP***

can someone please give me an idea about this, as to what should i do to fix my OHC lighting problem ?
Old 20th June 2008, 14:31   #1815
BHPian

Manveet on this forum has been using H.I.D.S in ohc type 1 for a long time ,
Original HEADLAMPS should not melt,use a 35W hid for your OHC i think it should be fine.

Last edited by noidaboy : 20th June 2008 at 14:36.

Most Viewed