Team-BHP > Team-BHP Advice > On modifying a car
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 25th November 2019, 15:12   #5401
BHPian

Re: ARTICLE: Synthetic oil vs Mineral oil

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolmel View Post

The Amsoil Signature Series in combination with their Cetane Boost gets a thumbs up from me. Liva has never driven this well before.

PS: The simple joys of watching the liquid gold go in! Sheer delight.
I am awaiting my next oil change on Liva (Diesel) and i would definitely like to try the above combination (will take your help in procuring), current ODO nearing 77K.

Tried Shell Helix Ultra 5W-40 earlier & switched to Shell Helix HX8 5W-30 at 74.5K.

On mileage front, HX8 seems to be much better, average FE has improved by 1-1.5kms per litre
driving_smartly is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th November 2019, 15:14   #5402
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by driving_smartly View Post
I am awaiting my next oil change on Liva (Diesel) and i would definitely like to try the above combination (will take your help in procuring), current ODO nearing 77K.

Tried Shell Helix Ultra 5W-40 earlier & switched to Shell Helix HX8 5W-30 at 74.5K.

On mileage front, HX8 seems to be much better, average FE has improved by 1-1.5kms per litre
I'd be happy to and in fact was looking for someone who has tried the Shell on their Liva. Sending a pm.
coolmel is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th November 2019, 16:04   #5403
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I'd be happy to and in fact was looking for someone who has tried the Shell on their Liva. Sending a pm.
I am using the 5w30 A3/B4 HX8 on my wife's i10 and the engine is quite smooth, but it has only been around 2500 km from the last oil change so it is simply too early to tell.
hserus is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 25th November 2019, 16:15   #5404
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hserus View Post
I am using the 5w30 A3/B4 HX8 on my wife's i10 and the engine is quite smooth, but it has only been around 2500 km from the last oil change so it is simply too early to tell.
Thanks sire! Keep us posted. I would have scooped the Helix but somehow don't find it comfortable buying oil online. Discounts be damned. Got the Amsoil straight from the warehouse. Comforting.
Old 25th November 2019, 16:30   #5405
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks sire! Keep us posted. I would have scooped the Helix but somehow don't find it comfortable buying oil online. Discounts be damned. Got the Amsoil straight from the warehouse. Comforting.
What specific grade and standard does the Etios Liva manual say you must use?
Old 25th November 2019, 22:22   #5406
BHPian

Quote:
What specific grade and standard does the Etios Liva manual say you must use?
API CF4, CF or ACEA B1. Even API CE/CD works.
Old 26th November 2019, 11:04   #5407
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
API CF4, CF or ACEA B1. Even API CE/CD works.
It isn’t that old an engine surely? Can you please quote from the manual

B1 is an obsolete standard - acea A5/B5 for petrol and diesel supersedes it. In such a case hx8 a3b4 won’t do, the Amsoil 5w30 signature will work or cheaper but good quality there are the Idemitsu and Valvoline All Climate Advanced 5w30 oils. Note both are competent middle order batsman type oils where Amsoil is Kohli level.
hserus is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th November 2019, 11:16   #5408
BHPian

Quote:
It isn’t that old an engine surely? Can you please quote from the manual

B1 is an obsolete standard - acea A5/B5 for petrol and diesel supersedes it. In such a case hx8 a3b4 won’t do, the Amsoil 5w30 signature will work or cheaper but good quality there are the Idemitsu and Valvoline All Climate Advanced 5w30 oils. Note both are competent middle order batsman type oils where Amsoil is Kohli level.
Quoted from the manual. It IS an old engine, now discontinued afaik. I've tried the Idemitsu and didn't like it at all. Valvoline not available here.
Old 14th December 2019, 08:56   #5409
BHPian

I had ordered Shell 5W30 engine oil from Amazon and received the courier just now. The manufacturing date mentioned on the oil container is 12/2018.
Is it safe to use this oil? What is the shelf life of engine oils in general?

Regards.
Old 14th December 2019, 09:08   #5410
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherlocked View Post
I had ordered Shell 5W30 engine oil from Amazon and received the courier just now. The manufacturing date mentioned on the oil container is 12/2018.
Is it safe to use this oil? What is the shelf life of engine oils in general?

Regards.
I can't say abhout Shell, but Mobil1 oils have a shelf life of 5 years so I think you will be just fine!
Rshrey22 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 14th December 2019, 09:26   #5411
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rshrey22 View Post
I can't say abhout Shell, but Mobil1 oils have a shelf life of 5 years so I think you will be just fine!
Any oil when stored sealed in reasonable conditions has five years of life. The oil itself has been underground for lakhs of years so won’t spoil but the detergents and additives mixed into the oil are what cause spoilage.

An opened and again closed can should be used within a year so if you have your next oil change coming up you can use that one liter of oil lying around from your last change.
Old 16th December 2019, 10:04   #5412
BHPian

I have around 500 ml of unused Shell Helix 5W30 lying around from this container. The specifications says API SN.
ARTICLE: Synthetic oil vs Mineral oil-img_20191216_095226.jpg

Now I had ordered another 3.5 L container to be used for a Hyundai Eon which has an engine oil capacity of just 2.5 L.
This time Amazon delivered me this container which has the specification starting from API SN PLUS/SN.

ARTICLE: Synthetic oil vs Mineral oil-img_20191216_095200.jpg

My query is - can I mix the earlier left 500 ml with the 1.5 L to be used from the new container. Will it be fine to mix these two since the new container has API SN PLUS specification while the earlier one has only API SN.

If I do this then in the next engine oil change for this car which will happen around 8 months later, I will have to buy just one litre of fresh oil which is available separately instead of buying the whole 3.5L container . Moreover it will also put the leftover 500 ml to good use which otherwise will have to be disposed off.

Thanks In Advance.

Last edited by Sherlocked : 16th December 2019 at 10:16.
Sherlocked is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th December 2019, 11:33   #5413
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherlocked View Post
I have around 500 ml of unused Shell Helix 5W30 lying around from this container. The specifications says API SN.

Now I had ordered another 3.5 L container to be used for a Hyundai Eon which has an engine oil capacity of just 2.5 L.
This time Amazon delivered me this container which has the specification starting from API SN PLUS/SN.
Not a problem as SN+ is fully reverse compatible to SN. It is developed specifically as an improvement of the SN spec for TGDI (turbo petrol) engines so if you have a turbo petrol like the Seltos get SN+ rather than SN, but otherwise mixing the two is not going to make any difference to your Eon. Use the old 500 ml first and fill two litres out of the 3.5 from your new can.

The rest of it - sealed tight and kept in a cool and dry space - will keep for upto a year.
Old 16th December 2019, 19:08   #5414
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

@Hserus:

The Mini Cooper R56 model’s recommended oil grade speaks of BMW LL01 5W-30.
However it seems BMW India uses oil of LL04 - 0W-30.
They claim no problem with this substitution.

Do you have any inputs on this?
Old 16th December 2019, 21:07   #5415
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
@Hserus:

The Mini Cooper R56 model’s recommended oil grade speaks of BMW LL01 5W-30.
However it seems BMW India uses oil of LL04 - 0W-30.
They claim no problem with this substitution.

Do you have any inputs on this?
Updated spec with low viscosity oil for greater fuel economy (and also ensuring that it flows even in freezing temperatures which shouldn't be an issue unless you're taking it into Ladakh).

Go ahead with a later bmw spec oil, or bmw LL 01 is very widely supported among third party engine oils. Eg shell helix ultra 5w40 or Amsoil 5w40 European Car Formula are great if all you need is the LL01 spec

By far the best for BMW LL04 in the open market is Mobil 1 ESP 5w30 - all the latest audi / merc / vw / bmw specs including LL04

https://www.amazon.in/Mobil-5W-30-Fu...dp/B00SFNNTSE/
hserus is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks