Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 6th January 2015, 20:47   #136
Senior - BHPian

Re: The Saddle & Tail Bag Review Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dodge_Viper View Post
Also regarding Rynox Optimus-M, it has 5 monopole magnets as compared to 3 of ViaTerra. Added advantage? Numbers don't count, ease of attachments and strength of attachments do.

There are straps provided with Optimus-M to fit it as a tail bag. 1 strap over tail and 2 for footpegs. But the backpack straps on ViaTerra look better than Rynox. Now more confusion between 2
the via terra fly magnetic can be used as a tail bag but you have to procure your own straps/ bungees. The Rynox has it's own straps for use as a tail bag.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aargee View Post
Not really; few months ago, I watched a video on the strength of magnets being used on Viaterra (don't recall what they had called the type of magnet though). So 3 or 5 doesn't really matter, what matters is how strong they cling on to the tank. Agree totally.

Don't know about Rynox, but VT has one of the strongest straps & they're heavy duty stress & abuse tested to withstand the weight.
Both VT and Rynox have equally good material on visual inspection. Can't say who is strongest but "My daddy is strongest."

Quote:
I am mostly going to use it as a tail bag (99% of the times), hence my most important concern is regarding the straps which will hold the bag on pillion seat.
goandude is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th January 2015, 21:21   #137
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I am mostly going to use it as a tail bag (99% of the times), hence my most important concern is regarding the straps which will hold the bag on pillion seat.
In that case I would suggest buying - http://www.viaterra.in/Products/VIAT...d-5292978.aspx

This is also economic + holds larger capacity than the tank bag & holds very strong as tail bag (been using it for nearly 3500 odd Km)
Old 6th January 2015, 22:58   #138
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Not really; few months ago, I watched a video on the strength of magnets being used on Viaterra (don't recall what they had called the type of magnet though). So 3 or 5 doesn't really matter, what matters is how strong they cling on to the tank

Don't know about Rynox, but VT has one of the strongest straps & they're heavy duty stress & abuse tested to withstand the weight.

Probably this is the video:

Clearly shows why magnets on the ViaTerra Fly is so strong.

Quote:
Originally Posted by goandude View Post
Just got a Viaterra fly magnetic tank bag for my Ninja650. I had weighed the pros and cons of the Rynox Optimus S and M vs the Fly and eventually settled for the fly. Reason the larger size of the Optimus which I initially thought was an advantage is actually not. The size and shape of the Ninja tank does not favor a bag larger than the Fly.

Anyway for anyone interested here is my initial impression. Well put together in fit and finish comparable to the Rynox. The bag is not rectangular in shape but like this line drawingAttachment 1324780

Great that you noticed the Unique Tapering Shape of the ViaTerra Fly: The shape has been designed deliberately.

Motorcycle Tanks are NOT Rectangular Boxes.. therefore Why a Rectangular shaped Tankbag? The Tapering shape of the ViaTerra Fly has been designed so that...

[1]Tthe Tankbag fits on the sloping tank an yet the top remains Flat

[2] The tapering shape along the sides allows for movement of the handle bars so that they don't interfere with the sides of the bag

Last edited by payeng : 6th January 2015 at 23:27.
payeng is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 7th January 2015, 00:01   #139
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by payeng View Post

[2] The tapering shape along the sides allows for movement of the handle bars so that they don't interfere with the sides of the bag
Just one hitch with the fly. When I put a 500 ml water bottle in the side pocket, it fouled with my knee. Probably my fault but just thought I'd share this for anyone else considering putting a bottle there.

Almost tossed the bottle out although it proved super handy on the way back.
Old 7th January 2015, 10:04   #140
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by djpeesh View Post
Just one hitch with the fly. When I put a 500 ml water bottle in the side pocket, it fouled with my knee. Probably my fault but just thought I'd share this for anyone else considering putting a bottle there.

Almost tossed the bottle out although it proved super handy on the way back.

Actually the side pockets of the ViaTerra Fly were never intended/designed to hold water bottles.
Old 7th January 2015, 12:26   #141
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Great that you noticed the Unique Tapering Shape of the ViaTerra Fly: The shape has been designed deliberately.

Motorcycle Tanks are NOT Rectangular Boxes.. therefore Why a Rectangular shaped Tankbag? The Tapering shape of the ViaTerra Fly has been designed so that...

This is why I also pointed out that a tank bag should not be stuffed till it is rigid. A rigid bag would not take on the curve of the tank and fit snugly thereon.

Yes the taper is neat and elegant design. I checked for fouling with the handle bars but no interference at all. I read about a fellow bhpian nearly going for a toss as the bag hit the engine kill switch on taking a u-turn.
Old 7th January 2015, 13:09   #142
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Yes the taper is neat and elegant design. I checked for fouling with the handle bars but no interference at all.

I read about a fellow bhpian nearly going for a toss as the bag hit the engine kill switch on taking a u-turn.
On which Tankbag (bag hitting the engine kill switch)? ViaTerra Fly? Or any other?
Old 7th January 2015, 14:38   #143
BHPian

Quote:
In that case I would suggest buying - http://www.viaterra.in/Products/VIAT...d-5292978.aspx

This is also economic + holds larger capacity than the tank bag & holds very strong as tail bag (been using it for nearly 3500 odd Km)
I have that style of tail bag in mind, but as an additional carrier. Hence currently I am contemplating at Fly or Optimus which I can use for short rides locally.
Old 7th January 2015, 17:10   #144
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
On which Tankbag (bag hitting the engine kill switch)? ViaTerra Fly? Or any other?
It wasn't the VT fly but some other bigger bag. and the bike was a 250 Ninja iirc
Old 7th January 2015, 22:31   #145
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urban_Nomad View Post
The mounting strap on my Dirstsack tank bag melted on the REs exhaust
Peeps at Dirtsack - You are AWESOME!!!!

I sent them an email regarding the mounting strap and how I could go about procuring one. In a matter of a couple of hours of me sending the mail, this is the response I received:
__________________________________________________ __________
Hey Karan,
Thanks very much for writing in and your words of appreciation and support. It
means a lot to us. Wish you a Brilliant New Year as well and many happy rides..
I am sorry to hear of the damage.. but rest assured we will set it right real
quick. Please send me a couple of pictures - 1) of the damaged strap -
preferably connected to the tank bag and the tank bag placed on the tank. 2)The
strap has male buckles on either end. Please send me a picture of a buckle
Also do send me your detailed address with landmarks so we can send you a strap
- at no charge.
Thanks for choosing Dirtsack!
Best,
JD
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

At least I am yet to come across any such example of customer service. May their tribe grow. For this reason alone, I would give my business to the good people at Dirtsack each time I would be in the market for motorcycle luggage. The fact that their stuff is superb just makes it all the more better

Urban_Nomad is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th January 2015, 12:55   #146
BHPian

Quote:
It wasn't the VT fly but some other bigger bag. and the bike was a 250 Ninja iirc
Think i remember that but forgot the name. One of a friend had the same issue with the kill switch shutting off while turning.

However the front small pocket on the Fly is meant for the Raincover, they usually keep it inside the bag itself to find it easily.
Old 9th January 2015, 02:02   #147
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Yes the taper is neat and elegant design
Note how the "taper design" of the ViaTerra Fly makes it sit/fit perfectly on the sloping tank.

Attached Images

payeng is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th January 2015, 06:39   #148
Senior - BHPian

Yes, it fits snug. Awesome pictures. That's a big claw on the rear, right?
Old 11th January 2015, 10:51   #149
Senior - BHPian

A few pics of the Magnetic Fly loaded with 2 days stuff weighing about 4.5 kgs and mounted on the tank. See how the bag doesn't foul with the handlebars (at full left lock). The magnets are really strong and hold the bag firmly in place. Not ridden with it yet. Just getting ready for Hampi next week.
The Saddle & Tail Bag Review Thread-img_20150111_102200.jpg

The Saddle & Tail Bag Review Thread-img_20150111_102231.jpg

The Saddle & Tail Bag Review Thread-img_20150111_102249.jpg
goandude is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th January 2015, 11:59   #150
BHPian

Quote:
Yes, it fits snug. Awesome pictures. That's a big claw on the rear, right?
Yup it is. here a slightly angled view of it. Pic Courtesy (HelmetStories)

We are coming to the Hampi meet on the 17th, lets catch up.
Attached Thumbnails
The Saddle & Tail Bag Review Thread-photo.jpg  

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks