Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 17th June 2015, 19:55   #196
BHPian

Re: The Saddle & Tail Bag Review Thread

After reading aargee's fantastic review on Viaterra claw, finally took the plunge and bought it. Had a look at both claw and claw mini as I was confused since claw mini looked too small and claw looked huge. But then considering a one time investment went in for regular claw. As it is already mentioned it really gulps down entire cupboard . Useful for both weekend rides and long rides. It fits perfectly on bike (RE Classic 350 in my case). It was tested in heavy rains too and the rain-cover lived upto its mark. It doesn't move a millimetre once securely fixed.
Dodge_Viper is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th June 2015, 21:02   #197
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ijeet View Post
Anybody here use Dirtsack Frogman tailbag? Any reviews?
I'm not a user, but I was seriously keen on buying it. But on close examination at the shop, I realized it's a proper dry bag. This makes it slightly cumbersome to pack as well as take things out. Very effective at the waterproofing though. If you are OK with that, it's a good option.
Old 18th June 2015, 18:31   #198
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anilp View Post
I'm not a user, but I was seriously keen on buying it. But on close examination at the shop, I realized it's a proper dry bag. This makes it slightly cumbersome to pack as well as take things out. Very effective at the waterproofing though. If you are OK with that, it's a good option.

Thanks Anil,

The only dealership of Dirtsack in Bangalore does not have the bag in stock and I don't feel comfortable pulling the trigger without looking at the bag.

Can you please elaborate on the cumbersome part? Why do you think its hard to pack?

-Ijeet
Old 18th June 2015, 19:45   #199
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ijeet View Post
Can you please elaborate on the cumbersome part? Why do you think its hard to pack?
It's best if you see it in physically since it's difficult to explain. I saw it some months back, so some of the details maybe off. From what I recall, there are two physically separate components -- an outer layer which has many buckle type releases/straps and an inside dry bag (YouTube for dry bag videos in case you are not familiar with them). So you pack the dry bag first, seal it, keep it inside the open outer layer, strap up the outer layer, and then fasten it to the bike. This is a very effective way to ensure water proofing, but access to packed items will be difficult on the go. On the plus side, the tail pack is quite spacious if you are looking at a multi-day ride.

Your mileage may vary, so please check before you take the call.
anilp is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th June 2015, 20:07   #200
BHPian

I have the Dirtsack Frogman Tailbag , got it around 3 months back .
Its a Roll Top bag , initially it felt cumbersome , but its alright, it serves the purpose .
It comes in two parts , the roll top bag ,the harness .
I have not used for any rides till now but took it along on my drives and I felt it was alright .
PS:
For my rides upto two days I use my Viaterra Fly , the Frogman is great if you are planning for multiple day rides like anilp mentioned ,but it being a roll top design is quite adaptable .
Attached Thumbnails
The Saddle & Tail Bag Review Thread-img_20150618_195550294.jpg  

Last edited by slalom : 18th June 2015 at 20:13. Reason: addition
Old 22nd June 2015, 16:51   #201
Senior - BHPian

Can someone guide me buy a pair of bags for medium distance weekend rides please? The details are as follows.

A. This will be for my KTM Duke 390.
B. I don't want to sacrifice the pillion seat.
C. It should be easy to mount and take the bags off.
D. I would prefer for it to be weather proof and with a rain cover to keep the mud out.

I am sure similar questions must have been asked and answered before but it is difficult to hunt through such a long thread.

Thanks in advance
Old 22nd June 2015, 18:11   #202
Senior - BHPian

The ViaTerra Velox is the solution.

The Velox has been specifically designed for the KTM 200/390 Duke.

>> A Unique design that utilizes the rear foot protectors of the KTM 200/390 Duke, that allows for a unique design to allow maximum space out of that tiny rear end of the KTM 200/390 Duke

>> Can be even used as a Single saddle bag (easy mounting).

>> Top loading: Makes it easy to open/access the bag while on the bike

>> Comes with standard rain covers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sudipto-S-Team View Post
Can someone guide me buy a pair of bags for medium distance weekend rides please? The details are as follows.

A. This will be for my KTM Duke 390.
B. I don't want to sacrifice the pillion seat.
C. It should be easy to mount and take the bags off.
D. I would prefer for it to be weather proof and with a rain cover to keep the mud out.

I am sure similar questions must have been asked and answered before but it is difficult to hunt through such a long thread.

Thanks in advance

Last edited by payeng : 22nd June 2015 at 18:14.
payeng is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd June 2015, 18:53   #203
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Can someone guide me buy a pair of bags for medium distance weekend rides please? The details are as follows
Velox is a perfect choice; if it were available for CPR, I would've bought it; nothing comes close to as much customizable as Velox
aargee is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd June 2015, 11:58   #204
Senior - BHPian

Thanks a lot guys. I guess I will go for this. Can you give me some realistic idea as to what all can go into these two bags? I mean how large are they for carrying stuff?
Old 23rd June 2015, 12:49   #205
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Can you give me some realistic idea as to what all can go into these two bags? I mean how large are they for carrying stuff?
Weekend travel luggage- clothes, toiletries etc. per bag is an easy fit. Anything more, and you'd need to cram it in. The bags are ideal for 2-3 days travel luggage.

EDIT- had a chance to ride for around 400+kms with both the bags loaded.

-- With the bags mounted, wind buffeting is quite noticeable on the perfectly balanced 390, but nothing too serious. Even when pushed to pretty high speeds, the bags didn't budge even one inch.
-- The bags sit so snug that you often forget that they are there; don't pose a problem even while weaving through Bangalore traffic!
-- Even without the rain covers, the innards stayed dry in moderate rain.
-- The bags easily took in around 3 days worth of luggage and I still found enough room to cram in my riding jacket, gloves and knee guards during stops.
-- I used small locks to secure the zippers. Planning to make small holes in the belts that secure the bags to the bike so that I can use locks there too, thereby making them a semi permanent fixture on the bike during rides and hence lessening the need for constant monitoring during stops. I did try routing the long belt that secures both the bags from under the seat, but didn't work out that well.

All in all, a big thumbs up to the bags. Money well spent.

Last edited by schakravarthy : 23rd June 2015 at 13:14.
schakravarthy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th June 2015, 13:05   #206
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by schakravarthy View Post
Weekend travel luggage- clothes, toiletries etc. per bag is an easy fit. Anything more, and you'd need to cram it in. The bags are ideal for 2-3 days travel luggage.
Thanks a lot for the post. I get the picture and it will quite suit my purpose. Incidentally, your plan to secure the bags will stop only the casual thieves. But it will fail if someone really wants to steal them for the items inside. They will just use a pair of tin cutters and cut the belts off. I wonder if any thief will want to steal only the bags unless he was really desperate. So taking out the materials inside for the night is the best plan. That's just my thought.

Thanks once again for the detailed info on the space inside.
Old 17th July 2015, 09:47   #207
BHPian

Hi Guys can anyone tell me if this is a cramster colt or a saddle?
A bit urgent.
Also will this fit an R15V2 with pillion rider?

Thanks
Adhiraj
Attached Thumbnails
The Saddle & Tail Bag Review Thread-img20150716wa0001.jpg  

The Saddle & Tail Bag Review Thread-img20150716wa0000.jpg  

The Saddle & Tail Bag Review Thread-img20150716wa0002.jpg  

Last edited by adhiraj : 17th July 2015 at 09:48. Reason: Added another point.
Old 27th July 2015, 11:37   #208
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by adhiraj View Post
Hi Guys can anyone tell me if this is a cramster colt or a saddle?
A bit urgent.
Also will this fit an R15V2 with pillion rider?
Thanks
Adhiraj
That looks like a Cramster Colt saddle bag. I don't think it'll be a good fit on the R15V2, because of the height of the rear seat. You'll need to do some jugaad to ensure that bags don't touch the rear tire, like running a bungee cord around the rear or fabricating a metal structure.

Pillion comfort is always a problem with saddlebags, simply because they tend to push off the pillion's feet off the rear footpegs during deceleration and bumps. R15V2 is already a pretty scary bike for the pillion, and this will make things worse
Old 7th September 2015, 12:34   #209
BHPian

Dear friends, I am short of picking up a HD Fat Bob. I need the experience and wisdom of my fellow riders to help me decide on a good and appropriate saddle bag. Would the Rynox Nomad v2.1 work well? Thanks you all in advance.

"Life is a journey, not a destination.." - Aerosmith
Old 11th September 2015, 10:40   #210
BHPian

Which backpacks do you guys use on your rides or city trips? I'm looking for something that can carry my helmet too, pain to hold it around the arm for hours while biwi does window shopping :(

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks