Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 13th January 2015, 12:18   #151
Senior - BHPian

Re: The Saddle & Tail Bag Review Thread

On a Ninja 300, there are two main issues for hooking up a saddle bag with pillion:

1. That angular muscle that protrudes from the pillion seat. It is quite sharp and I feel it can dent a car! This protruding sharp plastic will poke a dent in the saddle bag.
2. The wide eared rear turn indicators. They pop out far too much, so they will interfere with any saddlebag.

Name:  Ninja luggage1.png
Views: 15037
Size:  426.0 KB

So the effective width of a saddle bag is only between the turn indicator and the pillion foot rest, which is really not much. I tried Rynox Nomad bag, but felt that the pillion foot rest were not usable after putting it on. I am thinking of adding a separator (similar to frame slider) that goes from underneath the bike, which will protrude slightly beyond the indicators. This way, the saddle bags will not have to be stopped by the indicators, and can be pushed back, thus liberating foot space for the pillion.

Name:  Ninja luggage.png
Views: 3468
Size:  282.2 KB

Does this idea make sense? The separator can be removed anytime. It will be similar to the luggage hooks, only it will be using the underseat bolts and will be wider (and stronger).
Old 13th January 2015, 16:35   #152
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ani_meher View Post
I tried Rynox Nomad bag, but felt that the pillion foot rest were not usable after putting it on.
I tried the Nomads on the 650 but it hits the indicators and touches the pillion foot rest which would make it very uncomfortable for the pillion. So settled for a tank bag and learnt to pack light .

Your idea of a separator is good but it would push the nomads even more toward the front of the bike making the pillion footrest unusable.

Suggest you look for smaller saddle bags with a support like this which will keep the bags firmly in place. http://shop.sw-motech.com/en/by+prod...+Set/index.htm
goandude is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th January 2015, 17:01   #153
BHPian

Quote:
On a Ninja 300, there are two main issues for hooking up a saddle bag with pillion:

2. The wide eared rear turn indicators. They pop out far too much, so they will interfere with any saddlebag.

We faced similar problems me and my friend were on hunt for saddle bags for his rsv4!

After trying zeus,rynox and viaterra claw we finally went with viaterra claw which is a perfect fit and doesnt fiddle with the indicators and he even did a 1200 km ride with the claw and has faced no problem!

A friend of mine also used claw on his N300, toured extensively including a trip to bhutan and was all praises for it.So i suggest to try out claw once before doing any modificiations.

Regards,
Harsha
Old 13th January 2015, 17:05   #154
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by harsha.muvva View Post
A friend of mine also used claw on his N300, toured extensively including a trip to bhutan and was all praises for it.So i suggest to try out claw once before doing any modificiations.
I need to take the pillion along, hence Claw is not useful for me. Else I risk of being 'clawed' by an angry pillion

Any experience of Viaterra Rapide on Ninja 300?
Old 13th January 2015, 17:27   #155
BHPian

Quote:
I need to take the pillion along, hence Claw is not useful for me. Else I risk of being 'clawed' by an angry pillion

Any experience of Viaterra Rapide on Ninja 300?

Oops I missed that

No personal experience with Rapide but from the pics looks like it will solve your issue.Just give viaterra guys a call and share your concerns, they will be more than happy to help you out.

If this fails, then tank bag is the only option i could think of!
Old 13th January 2015, 18:56   #156
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I am thinking of adding a separator
If you are Ok with getting a bolt on part for your luggage solution, why not get a proper luggage carrier A'la givi and mount a tail bag or a duffel bag? Would also act as a back rest for the pillion

Check out Sridhu's and Nasir Kaka's posts to get an idea of what I am talking about

All the best
Old 14th January 2015, 16:12   #157
Senior - BHPian

^^^ Thanks for the pointers. I felt that the luggage racks were bit overkill for my utility. I checked Nomad, DSG's inhouse saddle bags and Viaterra rapide.

1. Nomad have great quality, but not useful on Ninja 300. Would easily touch the silencer, and pillion seating was questionable.
2. DSG inhouse bag was good size, perfectly fitting, but very poor quality. After seeing a bag torn in storage, I skipped the purchase.
3. Viaterra rapide seem pretty small. But they fit very good on Ninja. With my spacer idea, the chances of them hitting the silencer are very less.

So I am left with three options, no saddlebag, or big one with chance of hitting silencer, or small one without hitting silencer. I am going ahead with the purchase of Viaterra rapide. At Rs.2,900 with rain covers, it is priced properly. Its quality seems much better than the 4000rs one of DSG. Hope it proves good in use.
Old 14th January 2015, 17:23   #158
BHPian

Quote:
^^^ Thanks for the pointers. I felt that the luggage racks were bit overkill for my utility. I checked Nomad, DSG's inhouse saddle bags and Viaterra rapide.

1. Nomad have great quality, but not useful on Ninja 300. Would easily touch the silencer, and pillion seating was questionable.
2. DSG inhouse bag was good size, perfectly fitting, but very poor quality. After seeing a bag torn in storage, I skipped the purchase.
3. Viaterra rapide seem pretty small. But they fit very good on Ninja. With my spacer idea, the chances of them hitting the silencer are very less.

So I am left with three options, no saddlebag, or big one with chance of hitting silencer, or small one without hitting silencer. I am going ahead with the purchase of Viaterra rapide. At Rs.2,900 with rain covers, it is priced properly. Its quality seems much better than the 4000rs one of DSG. Hope it proves good in use.
ViaTerra Rapide is not suitable for the n300, you will have to skip it. It doesn't touch the turn signals however due to its side panels it pushes the bag to touch the exhaust when loaded. I have personally checked it. You can pm me if you need any pictures of it

Last edited by nosfreak : 14th January 2015 at 17:25.
Old 14th January 2015, 17:37   #159
Senior - BHPian

^^^ Oh man, if even rapide doesn't fit, I will have to send my stuff by courier ahead! Still scratching brain for the luggage solutions. Hopefully my welder and fitter will have some ideas.
Old 31st January 2015, 23:06   #160
BHPian

Hello

Can any of the fellow BHPian suggest a good saddle bag for Superlow. Looking for a good one for my IBW ride.
Old 1st February 2015, 17:04   #161
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dust_Harl View Post
Can any of the fellow BHPian suggest a good saddle bag for Superlow. Looking for a good one for my IBW ride.
Without a doubt Viaterra comes to mind which offers true international quality at Indian price & free raincover - http://www.viaterra.in/Products/VIAT...id-973109.aspx
aargee is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd February 2015, 12:59   #162
BHPian

Tend to agree with Aargee. Am using Viaterra Leh saddle bags for Enfield TB 500. Fits perfect, easy to mount/strap. Highly impressed with the quality, its VFM for sure.

Attached a pic with bags mounted.
Attached Thumbnails
The Saddle & Tail Bag Review Thread-img_1336.jpg  

vrajaram is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 3rd February 2015, 15:06   #163
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by harsha.muvva View Post
Oops I missed that

No personal experience with Rapide but from the pics looks like it will solve your issue.Just give viaterra guys a call and share your concerns, they will be more than happy to help you out.

If this fails, then tank bag is the only option i could think of!
I saw a picture on facebook of a N300 with rider, pillion and Rapide who had done 3000 km tour Pune Gujarat and back. Would I be infringing on copyright issues if I copy it and paste it here?

Last edited by goandude : 3rd February 2015 at 15:09.
goandude is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd February 2015, 15:44   #164
Senior - BHPian

^^^ I will save you the trouble. I am that rider

I successfully completed an 8-day 3000kms Gujarat tour with my wife as a pillion the whole way. I used Rynox tankbag and Viaterra rapide saddle bags (with a separator as shown in my post above, will post actual pics later).

The Saddle & Tail Bag Review Thread-c73fcoy.jpg

Rapide is the only saddlebag that suited this arrangement. Wish it were a wee bit bigger either in height or depth, so that we could carry more.

Last edited by Aditya : 4th February 2015 at 12:33. Reason: Edited on request
ani_meher is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th February 2015, 09:55   #165
Senior - BHPian

Whats the difference between the VT Claw Pro and the other 2 versions, one being Mini and another Claw there.
The Pro uses a better material afaik but if i'm not looking to store too many items, would the Mini suffice? Or is the extra money worth the quality and warranty? I don't see repair option listed for the other 2 though.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks