Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 22nd August 2023, 12:11   #3991
Senior - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)
Re: Ridden: Royal Enfield Interceptor 650 & Continental GT 650 Twin

Independence day was also a long weekend, if we took Monday off. Had a ride planned with some riding buddies, into the western ghats towards Yellapur, Dandeli, Goa, Sagar, etc and intent was to explore trails and off-beaten path. Initial plan was to ride the 310GS as the other 3 bikes were same, but last minute niggles forced me to ride the interceptor.

In retrospect, the bike performed very well and even off the road, as i have made some mods to help ride those terrains. Sharing some pics below.
Attached Thumbnails
Ridden: Royal Enfield Interceptor 650 & Continental GT 650 Twin-01-02.jpg  

Ridden: Royal Enfield Interceptor 650 & Continental GT 650 Twin-01-03.jpg  

Ridden: Royal Enfield Interceptor 650 & Continental GT 650 Twin-01-05.jpg  

Ridden: Royal Enfield Interceptor 650 & Continental GT 650 Twin-01-12.jpg  

Ridden: Royal Enfield Interceptor 650 & Continental GT 650 Twin-01-16.jpg  

Ridden: Royal Enfield Interceptor 650 & Continental GT 650 Twin-01-17.jpg  

Ridden: Royal Enfield Interceptor 650 & Continental GT 650 Twin-01-27.jpg  

Ridden: Royal Enfield Interceptor 650 & Continental GT 650 Twin-01-28.jpg  

Ridden: Royal Enfield Interceptor 650 & Continental GT 650 Twin-01-32.jpg  

Ridden: Royal Enfield Interceptor 650 & Continental GT 650 Twin-01-39.jpg  

nasirkaka is offline   (14) Thanks
Old 24th August 2023, 22:29   #3992

I have recently Installed OEM alloy wheels on my interceptor.
I have a problem that is..The black aluminium part in the front brake caliper seem to rub against the brake disk. Has anyone else faced this issue and found any solution?
Old 25th August 2023, 10:49   #3993
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Stig View Post
I have a problem that is..The black aluminium part in the front brake caliper seem to rub against the brake disk. Has anyone else faced this issue and found any solution?
Pictures? Can you post the pictures please? If possible, shot from different angles to understand the situation. Tks
aargee is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th August 2023, 11:41   #3994
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sprocket View Post
How difficult / impractical is it if you have a puncture? Please share your experiences.
Right on cue, I experienced a puncture the very next day from when you posted this
Read on for my ongoing rigmarole with poor RSA experience and the ensuing difficulties.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeadCenter View Post
Very difficult. Had just one puncture on my rear wheel in my 8 months of ownership and that was a tough day. I really don't want to go through that again. I was lucky enough to have a flat tyre in the vicinity of 3 puncture shops but they took one look at the bike and said NO. I finally managed to coerce one of them into doing it and they struggled for more than 3 hours to fix the tyre back and charged me Rs.600 for the pain they had to go through. Now I rarely use the rear brake on my CGT. It is more of a hill holder for me and found out a few kms later that it wasn't working. Another Rs.2.5K later due to a damaged rear brake component I realised that this was just not worth the hassle.

And then like your average lunatic, I turn around and take a look at those gorgeous spoke wheels and I tell myself, "one more puncture, and then I'll switch".
I can relate to this so thoroughly - that last line is just so dead-on (no pun intended with your username) that I'm honestly struggling to express just how much I can relate.

That said, I availed RSA to avoid exactly the kind of situation you faced, but while I've certainly not come out ahead time-wise (given all the escalation detailed below), I hope to come out of it with a functioning rear brake and no damage to the pocket.

For ease of explaining, I'm copy-pasting from the email I sent to what is hopefully Sid Lal's email ID (with RE support in CC):

There are several critical gaps in the RSA process that I hope will be looked into at a higher level at Royal Enfield. At the outset, let me say that I'm looking for a solution, not a problem. I understand the limitations of RSA, and am not going to delve into aspects of the heartache associated with such rough handling of a still new bike at the premium end of your range. I have only been patient and cooperative with the RSA complaints team, but delay and communication issues have led me here.

Brief Case History:
1. Availed RSA for rear wheel puncture on my GT650 on Saturday, August 19th.
2. Wheel was removed and taken for puncture repair.
3. Rim had multiple scratches on it when it was brought back.
4. They took 45 minutes - and a lot of screwdriver hits on mufflers, spacers, chain related components, disc rotor and rear brake assembly + a bent rear number plate - to fit the wheel back.
5. Process laid out in the owner's manual (which suggests "using utmost care" for wheel removal and refit) was not followed even remotely.

I escalated the matter on the same day, and the complaints team reached out the next evening, with a follow-up on Monday the 21st. To their credit, so far they were prompt and did a follow-up with the concerned technician via the Regional RSA Manager. They informed me that:
1. Ideally rim shouldn't have scratches in this process, but the same can occur at local repair places.
2. Process can only be adhered to at an Authorised Service Centre, not on the ground with RSA - careful removal and placement, careful refitment and realignment are not possible.
3. Onus is on the customer to get the vehicle checked out at an Authorised Service Centre post RSA for chain tension, alignment etc.
4. Concerned RSA Technician has been with the company for 5 years, and isn't inexperienced at working with rear disc equipped motorcycles.
5. Despite clear before and after photos of the number plate, the technician denied any contact with it.
6. Lastly, since I have already done a short test ride in their presence, why am I still worried?

While I agree with some of the above, here's why I'm still worried:
1. The short-ride was only to check whether the vehicle is in a rideable condition upto an Authorised Service Centre.
2. Given the way parts and fitment were (mis)handled, I'm extremely concerned about issues at highway speeds this bike was designed for.
3. Also, I'm very concerned about rear brake components and functioning of the rear brake system.
4. If any issues do crop-up, who will take ownership and responsibility for the same?

In light of the same, I requested that the RSA complaints team find a way to coordinate a Service Centre visit so that the investigation is done properly, and issues (if any) are taken care of. To their credit, while a process for the same is not in place, they asked for some time so that they could help arrange a resolution.

After 72 hours of radio silence, yesterday (Thursday the 24th) I had to initiate the tedious process of somehow contacting the RSA complaints team via the RSA team. I was told outright that:
A call cannot be scheduled and RSA complaints team may contact me at any time.
There is no way to ensure the representative I have been previously interacting with will be the one to reach out.
Yet again, I received a call from a number that I couldn't call back on, around 7:45 pm. I was swimming and missed the 2 calls by 5 minutes, and I'm again left hangning. How is this reasonable procedure? Same thing this morning when I got a seperate RSA feedback call - halfway through explaining the experience the call dropped, and just nothing now.

And that is why I'm sitting and writing this now. Here's my feedback/requests to RE:
1. There needs to be a better process for getting in touch and scheduling calls for RSA complaints/escalations/feedback.
2. There needs to be some mechanism for coordination between RSA and Authorised Service Centres for post RSA check-up.
3. The whole point of using RSA is to ensure damage like this doesn't occur.
4. In the event of such damage/issues someone needs to take responsibility for it.
5. I appreciate that RSA and Service Centre standards will be different, but steps need to be taken to ensure better RSA workmanship.
6. While I appreciate that Service and RSA are separate verticals within your system, I bought a Royal Enfield bike with Royal Enfield RSA, Royal Enfield extended warranty and get my vehicle serviced at a Royal Enfield dealer - how these systems interact shouldn't be the customer's problem.

Hoping for both a speedy resolution to my issue(s), as well as whether this feedback on processes will be acted upon.

Bottom Line: I will likely change to alloys despite the looks issue when time comes to change tyres/whenever I plan to go for an intercity ride next (have done Indore & Bhopal on it). Will likely get them painted to a different colour in line with some future modification I have in mind.

PS - They only replaced the tube, but didn't fix the tubeless tyre where it's been punctured. Wonder how big a deal that is going to be if I have to switch to alloys on these same tyres.

PPS - Could really use some retweets. TIA
https://twitter.com/muditbadlani/sta...608261544?s=20

Last edited by Aditya : 26th August 2023 at 00:11. Reason: As requested
Mu009 is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 27th August 2023, 01:27   #3995
BHPian

Hey guys! I'm noticing a sharp drop in fuel efficiency ever since I changed to Vredestein (tubeless) tyres from CEAT ZoomCruz (tube type) earlier. The mileage used to be 28-30 kmpl earlier and now I get around 23 kmpl. I keep the tyre pressure on a bit higher side (34F/40R) since Vredestein is softer compound tyre and attracts a lot of punctures on typical Pune roads so theoretically I should get more mileage. I wonder if it's something other than the tyres that's affecting the mileage. Anybody else notice this trend after changing to Vredestein?
Somil07 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th August 2023, 12:54   #3996
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mu009 View Post
Read on for my ongoing rigmarole with poor RSA experience and the ensuing difficulties.
Update as on 28th August, 2023

Received a callback from RSA team on Saturday itself, and a callback directly from my choice of ASC this morning. I am assuming the delay was due to the fact that ASC is closed Saturday, and RE Service Vertical on Sunday.

Both positive conversations, will share (hopefully final) details in my next post. Appointment fixed for tomorrow at ASC.

Hope I don't jinx it, but yes, while there are some gaps in terms of the existence of actual processes, the processes which are in place are robust, and RE in general seem forthcoming and solution-oriented.

*fingers crossed*
Mu009 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th August 2023, 15:41   #3997
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Somil07 View Post
Hey guys! I'm noticing a sharp drop in fuel efficiency ever since I changed to Vredestein (tubeless) tyres from CEAT ZoomCruz (tube type) earlier
Same here, but I've got even worse with tube & Ceat Zoom. I'll wait for 2 more 2 full tanks & one proper highway ride before concluding.
Ridden: Royal Enfield Interceptor 650 & Continental GT 650 Twin-a1.jpg
aargee is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th August 2023, 22:46   #3998
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Stig View Post
I have recently Installed OEM alloy wheels on my interceptor.
I have also changed to alloys recently, installed it myself, have ridden around 150kms after the swap, no issues so far. Can you please post a pic.

Maybe try to loosen the brake caliper and fix back again, caliper is mounted on the fork. Nothing to do with the rim. Also the problem you are mentioning is related to caliper touching the disk. Check disk plate and abs ring is mounted in right orientation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Somil07 View Post
Hey guys! I'm noticing a sharp drop in fuel efficiency ever since I changed to Vredestein (tubeless) tyres from CEAT ZoomCruz (tube type) earlier. The mileage used to be 28-30 kmpl earlier and now I get around 23 kmpl. I keep the tyre pressure on a bit higher side (34F/40R) since Vredestein is softer compound tyre and attracts a lot of punctures on typical Pune roads so theoretically I should get more mileage. I wonder if it's something other than the tyres that's affecting the mileage. Anybody else notice this trend after changing to Vredestein?
I have also used vredestein along with the OEM alloys, will report back if i see any drop in FE next highway ride. I have done one refuel after vredestein, it is 25kmpl but i had done some city riding in peak traffic so can't say for sure if it was due to the tyre. The 33kmpl FE is because i was riding very sanely around 80-90kmph with a Himalayan.

Ridden: Royal Enfield Interceptor 650 & Continental GT 650 Twin-img_7190.png

Last edited by Rahulkool : 28th August 2023 at 22:57.
Rahulkool is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 29th August 2023, 00:50   #3999
BHPian

Today my int 650 gave me a hard time :-).
I am actually the 2nd owner of a 2019 model and bike has a odo reading of around 18k kms. The last 2k kms were my contribution.

So this is what happened. while returning home after meeting a friend I had to stop at a red signal. I turned off the engine using the engine kill switch as a general practice. To my bad luck the bike refused to start when the signal turned green. After few failed attempts I had to push it to a empty place of the road due to the traffic behind me.

Tried different things like take out the key and reinsert, tried to start in 1st gear with clutch. No luck at all, I could only hear a knocking sound when I was cranking the engine with the start button. Luckily this was close to a restaurant so pushed the bike to the parking lot and parked there. Slight relief as the bike atleast is no more on the roadside��

Enquired the nearby shops and learnt about a local bike mechanic shop nearby. Walked 100ms or so to find the shop.
The mechanic said he can only inspect the bike if I take it to his shop. By then I dropped the idea of pushing the 200kg bike to his shop.

Called the previous owner to check if he had faced similar issue. But as per him the bike never stopped anywhere like this.
So by this time I started thinking about RSA. Called RE customer care and enquired about the same. The lady on the call gave me two options.
1. I can opt for a mechanic to inspect the bike with a pre-paid service which cost around 700 inr. But there is no guarantee that he could rectify the issue. So the amount paid is non-refundable. Then I have to ask for a towing service for ~ inr 2300.
2. I can ask for towing directly and there is a guarantee that the bike would reach the nearest service centre.

I decided with option 2 and made the payment for towing service. While waiting I also had my lunch in the restaurant where the bike was parked. The towing vehicle and driver reached after more than 60 mins, which was the time they promised me over the phone, so I ended up having my evening tea also at the same restaurant. I decided to give them some business to utilise their parking facility.

It hardly took 10 minutes to load the bike into the recovery vehicle. It was not at all difficult as I was imagined. After making sure the bike was loaded properly. I requested driver to drop me at the service center ( Avahan motors, Kalyan Nagar) and he happily agreed.

The service centre had quite lot of bikes. So after 15 minutes of wait, the service center guy tooke my bike details and my details. So requested him to update the owner details in their records. Also took details about the issue.
They didn't give me receipt hard copy as they are yet to update me as the owner. But they allowed me to take a picture of the same.

I used this opportunity to enquire about allow wheel availability for the bike. They have stock and quoted a cost of 18k for both alloy wheels and installation charges. But they asked me to buy tyres from outside, that is extra. This was my first service center experience of RE, all good so far.

After reaching home, I got a call from service center that they have to replace the battery with a cost of around 3k. Bike is sti at the service centre and I will get more update by tomorrow.So now I am thinking of which brand and where to buy the tyres. ��

Last edited by moralfibre : 29th August 2023 at 02:07. Reason: Only two smileys per post.
vivek_k_p is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 29th August 2023, 08:35   #4000
BHPian

Finally bit the bullet, got RE alloys and Vredestein Centauro ST tyres!

It was on my list but not a priority. Last week I went to replace the cone set bearings on my Interceptor at Pitlane, Pune (more on this later). I casually asked them if the Alloys and Tyres are available? And to my surprise, it was readily available with his supplier. After some dilly-dallying I gave the go ahead

I had recently changed the tyres (Ridden: Royal Enfield Interceptor 650 & Continental GT 650 Twin). The front was really nice but recently on a wet ride the rear Ceat was all over. Initially, I had thought of consuming this set and wait for the alloys till the next change. But there are some uncertainty over the availability of RE alloys!

Let this post just be an introduction as I have no feedback to share on the new setup.

Before: Chain cleaning in progress
Ridden: Royal Enfield Interceptor 650 & Continental GT 650 Twin-img_20230829_081819.jpg

After: Alloy fitting in progress
Ridden: Royal Enfield Interceptor 650 & Continental GT 650 Twin-img_20230829_082024.jpg

Ravishing Red colour combo goes well with the alloys. So much so that I posted my routine weekend wash pictures on a couple of groups and no one even noticed the change!
Ridden: Royal Enfield Interceptor 650 & Continental GT 650 Twin-img_20230826_143602.jpg

Happy riding,
surjaonwheelz

Last edited by surjaonwheelz : 29th August 2023 at 08:39.
surjaonwheelz is offline   (20) Thanks
Old 30th August 2023, 08:55   #4001
BHPian

Which top box is that? Also where did you buy it from?

Quote:
Originally Posted by surjaonwheelz View Post

Finally bit the bullet, got RE alloys and Vredestein Centauro ST tyres!

It was on my list but not a priority. Last week I went to replace the cone set bearings on my Interceptor at Pitlane, Pune (more on this later). I casually asked them if the Alloys and Tyres are available? And to my surprise, it was readily available with his supplier. After some dilly-dallying I gave the go ahead

I had recently changed the tyres (Ridden: Royal Enfield Interceptor 650 & Continental GT 650 Twin). The front was really nice but recently on a wet ride the rear Ceat was all over. Initially, I had thought of consuming this set and wait for the alloys till the next change. But there are some uncertainty over the availability of RE alloys!

Let this post just be an introduction as I have no feedback to share on the new setup.

Before: Chain cleaning in progress
Attachment 2496781

After: Alloy fitting in progress
Attachment 2496780

Ravishing Red colour combo goes well with the alloys. So much so that I posted my routine weekend wash pictures on a couple of groups and no one even noticed the change!
Attachment 2496779

Happy riding,
surjaonwheelz
Old 30th August 2023, 17:12   #4002
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreyNomad View Post
Which top box is that? Also where did you buy it from?
Did I miss sharing this update on this thread? Well I don't have many pictures to show the DIY installation process hence I missed reporting it in detail.

It's a hard case from Epicase, Bangalore. They provide these for camera, drone, watch with custom foam cut into the shape of your precious device! But I took it without the foam and permanently fixed it on the Motourenn aluminium top rack. It's perfect for a portable air pump, water bottle, cap, small toolkit, etc. It's waterproof but under direct sunlight gets a bit hot inside. This comes in very useful on weekend rides and I don't need to carry any backpack.

From the day of installation. (Before/After)
Ridden: Royal Enfield Interceptor 650 & Continental GT 650 Twin-img_20221015_194946.jpg

I didn't find their website now, may be it's taken down. Drop me a message for contact details. This is not a motorcycle topbox so you've to figure out your own mounting technique and hardware! Sukiwa helped me in the hardware and drilling part, he has all the tools. We installed it with 3 rubber mounted allen bolts and the setup is permanent. I bought a gym locker combination lock from Decatlhon to secure my precious stuff. The box doesn't come with a lock.

Happy riding,
surjaonwheelz
surjaonwheelz is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 30th August 2023, 19:15   #4003
Senior - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:
After reaching home, I got a call from service center that they have to replace the battery with a cost of around 3k. Bike is sti at the service centre and I will get more update by tomorrow.So now I am thinking of which brand and where to buy the tyres. ��
This is strange. A running bike with hot engine on a signal suddenly does not start and diagnosis is a faulty battery? Usually battery health deterioration will start to show and it does not go cold turkey on a hot bike. Maybe there is more to the issue which needs investigation.
nasirkaka is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 30th August 2023, 20:05   #4004
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nasirkaka View Post
This is strange. A running bike with hot engine on a signal suddenly does not start and diagnosis is a faulty battery? Usually battery health deterioration will start to show and it does not go cold turkey on a hot bike. Maybe there is more to the issue which needs investigation.
You are right, My bike shown fair bit of these warnings, many times the bike started on 2nd or 3rd attempts. Now I paid the price for ignoring those warnings.

Like I mentioned just before complete break down, 100 meters before it the engine turned OFF and I managed to start it on 2nd gear with cluch engaged. Now that I have got a brand new battery and it is under observation. I will pay attention to these warnings going forward.

Now I am planning to upgrade to allow wheels and tubeless tyres.
vivek_k_p is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 30th August 2023, 21:24   #4005

All,

I have been itching to buy the Interceptor 650 for a while. Do you suggest I buy the new model with alloy wheels or buy a used one with spoke wheels and upgrade to alloys?

Last edited by Axe77 : 30th August 2023 at 21:37. Reason: Few typos.
Crank270 is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks