Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 22nd October 2006, 14:04   #61
BHPian

Note from the Team-BHP Support Staff : Slang and SMS Language are STRICTLY prohibited on Team-BHP. Please type in full and proper English for the benefit of other community members.

Last edited by adya33 : 22nd October 2006 at 18:28.
Old 23rd October 2006, 10:31   #62
Senior - BHPian

I Would Suggest That U Go In For Honda Dio Or Hero Honda Pleasure
Old 28th October 2007, 20:36   #63
Senior - BHPian

The gearless scooter thread

Hello guys.

I am on a lookout for an ungeared scooter for myself. It will be used approximately 16kms*20days=320 kms per month.

My specific requirements:

1. Light and easy to handle.
2. Fuel efficient. I am not sure of un-geared scooter's usual mileage, so please guide me.
3. Reliable and decent after sales.
4. Budget upto 40k. Can be increased/decreased depending on how well the product suits my requirements.

I am a total newbie when it comes to scooters, but one of my friends recommended me the Bajaj Kristal-DTSi. Reading through reviews , i found it is for ladies . But being light and nimble, it suits my requirements well. Whatsay? Or is there something better i can get in my budget?

Thanks.
Old 28th October 2007, 21:00   #64
Senior - BHPian

If u can stretch the budget then get the BLAZE or get the reliable H Activa.
Old 28th October 2007, 21:08   #65
Senior - BHPian

Hi KP.
So whats better about the Blaze. As far as i know, its the 'male' version of the Kristal. Right? How much would an Activa cost.
Any specific reasons not to go with Kristal?

I am a total newbie to 2 wheelers. Only have experience of riding bicycle that too when i was a kid.

Last edited by DCEite : 29th October 2007 at 08:47.
Old 28th October 2007, 21:12   #66
BHPian

Honda Activa or whatever latest from their stable should be nice.
Old 28th October 2007, 21:21   #67
Senior - BHPian

I didn't comment on Kristal bcos i haven't seen one yet.
Kristal is a Bajaj product and Blaze is a Kinetic Italian product.
Blaze is bloody fast n by far the best performance ungeared scooter ever launched in the country.
Quote:
ENGINE
4 Stroke, 4 valve
165 cc
11,6 hp @ 7500
12 Nm @ 5000
45 kmpl
Now since u are an absolute newbie to two wheelers i would suggest u not to consider Blaze at the moment.... Activa would serve u better in learning n commuting from point A to B.

My friend bought an Activa some 10months back from Gurgaon for 37k.
Old 28th October 2007, 21:41   #68
BHPian

> Activa, if you're lookin for a Matured vehicle. Should return you around 42-45kmpl. Very reliable.
> Dio, if you want to be a looker. Activa/Dio share the same butter smooth engine. So, mileage is very similar. Very reliable as well. Pillion ergos not good (if the pillion is sittin in conventional style, else if in typical Indian house-wife is your pillion, wont be an issue).
> Kristal, if you want a James Bond-esque vehicle full of gadgetry. Has quality issues and not many seen on the roads.
> Blaze, for the performance hungry. Has full blooded Italian flair in design. Quality is crap, will go to gunny bags sooner than you'd expect.
Old 28th October 2007, 22:39   #69
Senior - BHPian

Maalik,

Adding to five46:
Sis' activa after nearly 50k km, gives about 40ish mileage (was about 45 at start with spirited 65+ driving). Nowadays pickup is slightly reduced as well. its prone to rattles (post coupla years). At 100cc, they are fairly breathless at that. doesn't take bad roads very nicely (small tyres) - bikes are much better for that.

Blaze is a super scoot by comparison - 165cc, drinks much more fuel, very comfortable seat. Different class altogether, costs much more than the budget. Long term maintenance with kinetic - that you'd have to see with blaze owners in your area!

Kristal is a smaller scooter (being almost 5'11 - it is definitely comfortable for someone 5'2 but not me), very decent, has a host of nifty features, although the usual bajaj service disclaimers apply - had just test rode it for a coupla km. and yes, it hasnt really taken off. Smallish again, so similar issue with bad roads should be there.

PS: just curious, why not just take a bike instead? XCD comes in like 43ish and much more comfortable and fun.
Old 28th October 2007, 23:37   #70
Senior - BHPian

Adding to five46:
Sis' activa after nearly 50k km, gives about 40ish mileage (was about 45 at start with spirited 65+ driving). Nowadays pickup is slightly reduced as well. its prone to rattles (post coupla years). At 100cc, they are fairly breathless at that. doesn't take bad roads very nicely (small tyres) - bikes are much better for that.

i agree with all the guys above and would put MY 2 CENTS are on Activa from Honda its time tested,
well established( i mean the service network too),
good mileage of 45kmpl under normal riding or minimum above 40kmpl i with a little spirited riding!
A.S.S. is really good if from from a good dealer,
spares are cheaper, its total metal body so even if it falls by accident you end up with a dent and that too is going to be a minor one as the body guard takes most of the punishment and not the huge cost to replace the whole fiber body unlike in the other gear less scooters (like Honda Dio, tvs scooty pep+, kinetic blaze, bajaj crystal dts-i etc).
its got awesome pick-up too!
my dad has one and i occasionally use it, its got awesome pick-up and very comfortable to ride even with a pillion!

Blaze as said above is inadvisable for a beginner for its too fast and if you still decide to buy one make sure you get the version with a disc brake! its got very poor a.s.s!
Old 29th October 2007, 00:10   #71
BHPian

why not take a flyte?

why don't you check out the Kinetic Flyte before you decide. the Activa is a bit long in the tooth and the Kristal dare i say has bombed at the box office and the Blaze is not really setting any sales charts afire.

the Flyte may be worth a look. i rode it and it feels pretty cool on all fronts. 125cc, front fueling, 4 way key, telescopic front shocks, 3 year warranty are on offer.
Old 29th October 2007, 00:37   #72
Senior - BHPian

Had a dio for 3 years while i was studying in bangalore.It had done 47 thousand km when i presented it to my uncle.It is 70 thousand km up now in 4 nd half years.
Engine overhaul done at 60 thousand kilometers.Would have lasted more if i had not taken it for long long distance trips many a times and had taken real good care of it
Mileage was always in the region of 48 to 50 and it still gives the same as according to my uncle.
Also an extremly good headlight the dio has
If u like the looks of the dio go for it otherwise activa and both share the same engine just that dio is fiber and lighter than the activa.
Also dio is more manuverable as compared to activa and this comes from the fact that we had an activa and dio in the same house.
Go for one of them if u want a piece of mind and a tried and tested product.
The bike never failed me how much ever i abused it and after 4 nd half years and 70 thousand kilometers its still in use
Old 29th October 2007, 11:47   #73
BHPian

i love the Blaze for its great road presence but looking at your requirements, it would have to be Kinetic SYM Flyte.
its lightweight, priced within 40k, fuel efficient like u want; plus the best ride and cool features. see Kinetic Sym Flyte
Old 29th October 2007, 12:59   #74
Senior - BHPian

oh yes, something on activa's headlight - its absolutely USELESS even after putting a halogen bulb in. If you must use it beyond daylight, get a bike
Old 29th October 2007, 15:10   #75
Senior - BHPian

OK OK no more confusion now

please dont mind to TD the new scooter launched by Suzuki which is called Access 125

i did the TD and it blows the Activa by 1/2 mile at least.

it has the same engine which Suzuki fits in their bike called ZEUS

its said to give a steady mileage of 55 and its gr8 for male/females both.

comes in Red,Grey,Light Blue,Black color.

and i have driven Kinetic,Activa a lot so i believe its the best of them all

Last edited by simply_sunny001 : 29th October 2007 at 15:11. Reason: spelling mistake
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks