Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 17th October 2020, 12:23   #3526
BHPian

Re: Volkswagen Jetta : Test Drive & Review

Hi Forum,

Apologies for the repeat post, but I need inputs on this urgently, as I have a long drive coming up. I need advice between the following tyre options in stock size for my Jetta:

a. Bridgestone c290 - 7700 per tyre.
b. Continental MC5 - 7600 per tyre.
c. Yokohama Earth1 - 6800 per tyre.
d. Yokohama BluEarth - 6950 per tyre.

2 important factors to consider here:

1. I might be selling the car in 1-2 years, as I am planning to move abroad. So option d. is tempting unless there is a reason not to.
2. I have a very long drive coming up in November, so I have to do this quick, but as usual safety is paramount. I am not able to source Michelins P4STs from any dealer I know in Pune.

Thanks in advance for any inputs.
Old 23rd October 2020, 12:08   #3527
BHPian

I would like to change my Jetta DSG's oil and filter. Any tips and reliable FNG in or around Whitefield? Or should I straight away go to Apple Auto Mahadevpura?
Old 23rd October 2020, 12:28   #3528
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by harryputtar View Post
I need advice between the following tyre options in stock size for my Jetta
Out of those four, you have rightly chosen option D. I would choose the BlueEarth AE50 too, if that’s what you’re referring to. Related thread - https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/tyre-...s-website.html (BluEarth AE-50 tyres listed on Yokohama's website)

If you want to stick to Bridgestone, try Their Potenza G3 (if stocks are available in your area).

1-2 yrs is still a significant amount of time so don’t compromise on the really important 4 contact patches of rubber between yourself & the tarmac.

Just my 2 cents.

Last edited by ChoosetoCruze : 23rd October 2020 at 12:31.
ChoosetoCruze is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th October 2020, 10:59   #3529
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChoosetoCruze View Post
Out of those four, you have rightly chosen option D. I would choose the BlueEarth AE50 too, if that’s what you’re referring to. Related thread - https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/tyre-...s-website.html (BluEarth AE-50 tyres listed on Yokohama's website)
Thanks a lot ChoosetoCruz.

I called the dealer to ask for more details about the BlueEarth tyres (apologies should have done this earlier.). He informed me the tyres are from Nov or Dec 2019. Is this is not too old for a tyre? Is it advisable to still go for these tyres?

I read on other posts on this forum that we should aim for newer tyres, as they have a shelf life.

Dealers are also tell me tyre imports have stopped due to Covid-19, so we might not see newer Michelins and Yokohamas in stock for some time to come. Is this true, or am I being taken for a ride?

Punekars your recommendations would be appreciated.
Old 28th October 2020, 11:24   #3530
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I read on other posts on this forum that we should aim for newer tyres, as they have a shelf life.
Why not MRF Perfinzas? Pretty good reviews overall and cheap too.
itwasntme is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th October 2020, 11:43   #3531
BHPian

Quote:
He informed me the tyres are from Nov or Dec 2019. Is this is not too old for a tyre? Is it advisable to still go for these tyres?

Dealers are also tell me tyre imports have stopped due to Covid-19, so we might not see newer Michelins and Yokohamas in stock for some time to come. Is this true, or am I being taken for a ride?
Have a read through this thread - https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/tyre-...cceptable.html (18 months old Michelin LTX AT2 - How old tyres are acceptable?)

It depends on your usage, to be honest. If you usage is very little, get a tyre with a newer manufacturing date. Otherwise, your high usage will wear out the tyre tread before the rubber rots.

Personally, I wouldn’t have a problem with buying tyres which are a year old. If anything, use that as an excuse to get a bigger discount.

And yes, the lack of stock of tyres is a massive problem at the moment, so don’t delay your purchase too long, as you might run out of your options.

Quote:
Originally Posted by itwasntme View Post
Why not MRF Perfinzas? Pretty good reviews overall and cheap too.
If he can find them..

Last edited by ChoosetoCruze : 28th October 2020 at 12:03.
ChoosetoCruze is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th October 2020, 16:56   #3532
BHPian

Quote:
I need advice between the following tyre options in stock size for my Jetta:

c. Yokohama Earth1 - 6800 per tyre.
d. Yokohama BluEarth - 6950 per tyre.
Hi Forum need some urgent advice.

Came to the tyre dealer to get the tyres changed today. But found some tyres are sold out.

So the options I am left with

Yokohama BlueEarth AE50 - 2 tyres from Sep 2019, 2 from Apr 2019.
Yokohama Earth1 - 3 tyres from Dec 2019, 1 from Jan 2019.

I confused which to go for as in either case I do not have 4 tyres from the same batch.

Should I consider buying the 2 newer BlueEarth AE 50s and the 2 newer Earth1s? And then how should I place them on the car, which ones in the front which in the rear?

Is this a good idea on a car?

Please I need some urgent advice.

Thanks in advance.
Old 30th October 2020, 18:15   #3533
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Should I consider buying the 2 newer BlueEarth AE 50s and the 2 newer Earth1s? And then how should I place them on the car, which ones in the front which in the rear?
I wouldn't suggest mixing tire patterns. You should stick to the same tires for all four wheels. If the tires have been stored correctly, 2 years should not be a problem in terms of age. If your usage is more and if you wear out the tires in the next 3 years, 2 year old tires should not be a problem.

Did you check with other tire dealers? If you can source a single Earth1 tire from another dealer which is newer, then you can get the three from this dealer and the one from the other dealer and get it installed.
graaja is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 30th October 2020, 18:16   #3534
Senior - BHPian

Yoko AE50 is better choice, IMO, considering the gap is only 5 months while Earrh1 1 tyre is already 21 months old.
Best option would be, to wait and look for some other dealer.
RajaTaurus is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th October 2020, 18:19   #3535
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by graaja View Post
If your usage is more and if you wear out the tires in the next 3 years, 2 year old tires should not be a problem.
Thanks, my usage is not that much actually, only about 8k per year.

Quote:
Originally Posted by graaja View Post
Did you check with other tire dealers? If you can source a single Earth1 tire from another dealer which is newer, then you can get the three from this dealer and the one from the other dealer and get it installed.
New development, I got a call from a dealer and he has the following available in stock size (all 4 tyres):

1. Yokohama Earth 1 - September 2020 manufactured, 6750 per tyre
2. Yokohama BlueEarth AE51 - September 2020 manufactured, 7000 per tyre

I am not sure how the AE51 compares to the AE50, or the Earth1. The AE50s are definitely out of stock now (for 4 tyres) as they are imported, AE51 are apparently made in India, which may explain the fresh stock and availability.

Any inputs members?
harryputtar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st October 2020, 08:43   #3536
BHPian

Quote:
I have Earth 1 on my polo GT and think you should reconsider- while reliable and quiet enough, the low rolling resistance also results in increased braking distance. At least that's been my impression over 10k km, my previous set on A drives was better in this regard.
JishD is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st October 2020, 16:33   #3537

Hi Friends

I am owing 2012 model Jetta TDI comfortably driven for 70K kms, now I am experiencing minor noise in front suspension set up over the potholes and rough patches.

Please suggest what all I need to replace in suspension set up and what would be a estimated cost.

If done outside, can you recommend a garage who has expertise in suspension related work in Mumbai.

Thanks in advance.

Regards.

Mod Note - Please punctuate / capitalize where necessary.

Last edited by Sheel : 31st October 2020 at 16:59. Reason: Mod note attached.
Old 5th November 2020, 12:25   #3538
BHPian

Quote:
2. Yokohama BlueEarth AE51 - September 2020 manufactured, 7000 per tyre
Quick update forum, I went for 4 BluEarth AE51 in the end (dated 3520, so that makes it Aug 2020 manufactured). Also got all the 4 valves replaced for 500 bucks. I am not sure if I fell for the tyre-guy's glib talking, but it sounded like money well spent. They also did wheel alignment and balancing, and have recommended the same every 5k Kms, and tyre rotation every 10k Kms.

The ride quality and the noise has definitely improved drastically after the tyre change, however I will only come to know once I take the Jetta for a spin on the highway. I have a Goa trip coming up in 2 weeks, cant wait!

Thanks for all the timely inputs forum, what would I do without you all!

Just one more quick thing, I have been seeing an exclamation mark next to the cruise control sign on the MFD, only noticed it yesterday. My Jetta is not being used much and I am also having to try ignition 3-4 times before the car actually starts, so I am guessing its a battery issue. Could the cruise control also have to do with the battery?

I got the OEM Exide replaced with Amaron 2 years back, and since then have had a battery-trouble free experience, and was hoping it continued this way. I guess the lack of long drives in Covid is taking its toll!

The cruise control is specifically important for the upcoming Goa trip, between Kolhapur and Belgaum, so please share your thoughts on this.
Old 6th November 2020, 06:35   #3539
Senior - BHPian

Exclamation mark next to cruise control? I got that on and off initially and then permanently in mine and ended up changing the ABS sensor. As like everyone else, I too doubted battery, but I guess you better prepare for replacement of ABS Sensor.
But 3-4 times ignition is new issue for Jetta. That needs attention asap.
RajaTaurus is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th November 2020, 06:50   #3540
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Just one more quick thing, I have been seeing an exclamation mark next to the cruise control sign on the MFD, only noticed it yesterday. My Jetta is not being used much and I am also having to try ignition 3-4 times before the car actually starts, so I am guessing its a battery issue. Could the cruise control also have to do with the battery?

I got the OEM Exide replaced with Amaron 2 years back, and since then have had a battery-trouble free experience, and was hoping it continued this way. I guess the lack of long drives in Covid is taking its toll!

The cruise control is specifically important for the upcoming Goa trip, between Kolhapur and Belgaum, so please share your thoughts on this.
I don't think cruise control will have anything to do with battery issue. Also, if you are able to start the engine after 3-4 cranks, that means the battery has enough juice for the 4 cranks. This may not be a problem with the battery.

As you have a long trip coming up, I would suggest you get the car thoroughly checked at the VW workshop including a battery test.

PS: Any particular reason why cruise control is important specifically between Kohlapur and Belgaum?
graaja is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks