Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 30th August 2012, 20:47   #841
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Honda Brio : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by prithwi-81 View Post
The car is very sensitive to traffic congestion. In nice moving traffic I get around 16 with AC. It drops to 10.9 -11.5 with AC in Gurgaon congestion (10-15kmph traffic with 1st n 2nd Gear).

Take it on the highway and whooh... 140kmph @ 19kmpl.. :-) ..
Are those figures from MID? 19kmpl @ 140 kmph sounds a bit too high considering even Diesel cars may not match! But if it indeed is possible, it sure is a GEM of an engine!
Old 31st August 2012, 09:17   #842
BANNED

@joslick; One minor point. The Brio is a high revving engine without much juice at lower rpms. You often have to be in a lower gear as a result. However, wait for at least 2500km before judging.
Old 1st September 2012, 19:26   #843
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftnfurious View Post
Are those figures from MID? 19kmpl @ 140 kmph sounds a bit too high considering even Diesel cars may not match! But if it indeed is possible, it sure is a GEM of an engine!
yup.. it blew my mind too.. have a pic of it somewhere.. Truly a gem of an engine. However low speed mileage isnt as good as some of the other hatches.. but hey.. still 12.5:-)
Old 1st September 2012, 21:28   #844
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by joslicx View Post
I agree with that sir. Only thing is, earlier he had an Alto and under similar driving conditions (moderate A/C use, same roads etc) he was getting around 14-15 kmpl with that. We were expecting around 12 for the Brio so it was bit of a dampener (but the car is brilliant to drive compared to the Alto).

Anyway the second service was done just last week so maybe now the average will improve. My parents running is not much (hardly 200 km a month) so we are not fretting on the mileage part too much. Anyway they are on a longish tour right now (Jhansi - Agra - Bulandshahr - Mathura - Jhansi) and are totally loving the car on the highway.
Alto's 14-15 to Brio's 9-10 under similar conditions seems too low for Brio considering Honda's engineering prowess. A lesser FE of almost 50% to Alto is very significant. Brio having the same engine as Jazz should return better FE than Jazz, but no Brio owner seem to report that. On the contrary, few have reported even lesser FE than Jazz is something not understandable.

Longterm TFM FE report from owners will clarify the matter.
Old 1st September 2012, 23:14   #845
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chitta Pradhan View Post
Alto's 14-15 to Brio's 9-10 under similar conditions seems too low for Brio considering Honda's engineering prowess. A lesser FE of almost 50% to Alto is very significant. Brio having the same engine as Jazz should return better FE than Jazz, but no Brio owner seem to report that. On the contrary, few have reported even lesser FE than Jazz is something not understandable.

Longterm TFM FE report from owners will clarify the matter.
One thing that I can think of is, Jazz is primarily found in only bigger cities like Bangalore where its more likely to have people who would appreciate this kind of a car. Its too overpriced for smaller cities junta. Brio prices are set against the i10 so it finds favor in smaller places also.

It can be debated that a car will give better FE in bigger cities where road infra is much better (compared to smaller places) and people still drive within rules. The Brio in Jhansi would be driven in 2nd and 3rd gear mainly (as would Alto but then Alto is only 4 gears and you can engage top gear, thats 4th, at speeds of 40 as well). Still its too early days to say conclusively that FE is really low. Now that second service is over and oil change is done I expect it to deliver better.
Old 2nd September 2012, 18:50   #846
BHPian

I've had the Brio since July and its done nearly 2.5k with daily B2B in Mumbai. The best FE I've got is 18.2kmpl while the worst to date is 13.4 with 100% AC on
arup.misra is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th September 2012, 17:22   #847
BHPian

Need advise by the Gurus:

OTR prices for Honda Brio SMT (O) in Hyderabad is 5.6 lakh approx and SMT is 5.3 lakh ~ approx. Now Chevy Beat D PS variant OTR price comes to 5.3 lakh ~, LS : 5.6 Lakh ~, now if a person is looking for his first car (a hatch) which one does make more value for money. While the monthly usage will be < 600 KM can he still go for the Beat D base variant as it provides value for money preposition just for fuel costs or should he go for the Honda Brio SMT(O) ? The safety gear is only available on the LT (O) pack which goes close to 6.6 lakh approx.

Note : The prices are approx figures, just out of mind.
Mods : Please merge if this is not the right thread.

Cheers !

Last edited by Abhi_abarth : 5th September 2012 at 17:31. Reason: Deleted 'Budget'
Old 5th September 2012, 18:44   #848
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abhi_abarth View Post
Need advise by the Gurus:

OTR prices for Honda Brio SMT (O) in Hyderabad is 5.6 lakh approx and SMT is 5.3 lakh ~ approx. Now Chevy Beat D PS variant OTR price comes to 5.3 lakh ~, LS : 5.6 Lakh ~, now if a person is looking for his first car (a hatch) which one does make more value for money. While the monthly usage will be < 600 KM can he still go for the Beat D base variant as it provides value for money preposition just for fuel costs or should he go for the Honda Brio SMT(O) ? The safety gear is only available on the LT (O) pack which goes close to 6.6 lakh approx.

Note : The prices are approx figures, just out of mind.
Mods : Please merge if this is not the right thread.

Cheers !
Abhi, i had the exact same confusion when i picked my Brio, and considering the fact that my wife is going to drive the car (Its a different story that she doesnt even get to start it.)

I somehow felt the money I paid for the safety equipment is a better investment than going for a bare bones diesel.
adityasiera is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th September 2012, 19:08   #849
Senior - BHPian

I concur Aditya. Go for safety. For this much running fuel costs won't be too much of a burden. And the excellent ivtec will make you smile every single time.
Only thing, choose a good colour :-)
joslicx is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 6th September 2012, 12:22   #850

Finally after months of reviews, research and test drives, went in for a Honda Brio Electric Blue SMT. Really pleased with its performance and drive-ability. Only concern I have is the tyre pressure that is to be maintained. According to the sticker by the driver door it says 26/29 for front/rear. I was thinking that is low and was thinking more along the lines of 28/30. Any thoughts?
Old 6th September 2012, 13:18   #851
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by patnaik7 View Post
Finally after months of reviews, research and test drives, went in for a Honda Brio Electric Blue SMT. I was thinking that is low and was thinking more along the lines of 28/30. Any thoughts?
Great patnaik congrats. Nice color. Try and experiment around a bit with different values. Higher pressure will make the ride more bumpy. With Honda known for its softer suspension it might accentuate the bumpiness. Again it would depend on roads you generally use so take your pick

I keep it at 26/28 and I'm fairly happy.
Old 6th September 2012, 13:22   #852
BHPian

Its 29 in front and 26 at the rear. I maintain the same and have no problem. Ride is fine but FE is around 11.5 tank to tank and 12.5 as per MID.

Should it be increased to gain better FE? The best I have managed is 15 on the MID and car has done close to 4000 kms. I find these figures very low but the car is good fun to drive.
Old 6th September 2012, 13:49   #853
Team-BHP Support

NDTV CNB presenter (Sid Patankar) have tweeted that Honda has confirmed that the Brio AT will be launched before Diwali.
vb-saan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th September 2012, 14:15   #854
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by v.anand View Post
FE is around 11.5 tank to tank and 12.5 as per MID.
MID is about 10% optimistic on the Civic as well. A differential flow meter is bound to be somewhat inaccurate.
Old 7th September 2012, 17:56   #855
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by v.anand View Post
Its 29 in front and 26 at the rear. I maintain the same and have no problem. Ride is fine but FE is around 11.5 tank to tank and 12.5 as per MID.

Should it be increased to gain better FE? The best I have managed is 15 on the MID and car has done close to 4000 kms. I find these figures very low but the car is good fun to drive.
@v.anand even I maintain 29/26 on my Brio SMT and get around 12-13 full tank to full tank in city with 50% a/c. Even I feel its low but not sure whether it would go up ay further. However I always try to keep the car in eco mode by using a light foot on the accelerator and switching off ignition/ac in traffic. Hence was expecting it to be around 14. But haven't been able to get more than 13.3 in city.

And yes, even I have observed a difference of 0.8-1.0 between the MID and full tank calculation.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks