Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 10th October 2012, 16:17   #901
Senior - BHPian

Re: Honda Brio : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by suhaas307 View Post
The safety of a car does not depend on the amount of sheet-metal sitting between you and the point of impact. It depends on the chassis and if it's rigid enough to absorb the impact.
Well, something which is 'rigid' cannot absorb the impact! It can withstand the impact but in the process it will transmit the impact/shock to elsewhere (mostly to the occupants).
That's why you have crumble zones, which are designed to deform and absorb the impact (part of it) so that the rigid shell which forms the passenger cabin remains intact.

Last edited by Guna : 10th October 2012 at 16:19.
Guna is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 10th October 2012, 16:50   #902
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by nithi View Post
suhaas307,

Thanks for your reply.

What you have said is true for high speed collision. Does it also hold true for low speed rear ending ? Dont you think sitting close to full rear glass door, poses greater danger, when compared to other cars [ read i10, ritz ] of the similar category ?
It's difficult to say unless someone has actually experienced something like that. It sure does not look very safe considering that you sit very close to the rear-windshield and there isn't much of a boot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guna View Post
Well, something which is 'rigid' cannot absorb the impact! It can withstand the impact but in the process it will transmit the impact/shock to elsewhere (mostly to the occupants).
That's why you have crumble zones, which are designed to deform and absorb the impact (part of it) so that the rigid shell which forms the passenger cabin remains intact.
Poor choice of word!

And while you're nitpicking, I'd like to as well. It's 'crumple-zones', by the way.
Old 10th October 2012, 17:24   #903
BHPian

Quote:
Dont you think sitting close to full rear glass door, poses greater danger, when compared to other cars [ read i10, ritz ] of the similar category ?
Even on the old shape Indica, the rear passenger head rest is very near to the rear glass. No one notices it, because of the boot design. In the Brio it's quite obvious because of the large glass area.
Old 10th October 2012, 18:18   #904
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guna View Post
Excellent Point. The Crumple-Zone is built in the engine bay and also on the body shell to protect the passengers from front and side impact. But for an impact from the rear, there is no crumple-zone to protect you. right? The body / passengers will take the direct hit. Thats exactly my concern. But again, that applies to all the hatch backs. But the all glass rear door and tiny boot magnifies this problem.

Somebody, please correct me if I'm wrong.
Old 10th October 2012, 19:08   #905
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
But for an impact from the rear, there is no crumple-zone to protect you. right? The body / passengers will take the direct hit. Thats exactly my concern. But again, that applies to all the hatch backs. But the all glass rear door and tiny boot magnifies this problem.

Somebody, please correct me if I'm wrong.
Most of the well designed cars with better safety ratings do have rear crumple zone.
Old 13th October 2012, 07:30   #906
BHPian

Honda Brio has crumple zone in both front and rear. Please visit the safety features page of Honda Brio.

They call the body as G-Con(G-force Control Technology) body. In the above page, the fifth picture shows the shell of the Brio. The portions marked in blue are crumple zones.
Old 13th October 2012, 08:10   #907
Senior - BHPian

But I bet that the bumper of many a bus or truck will kiss the rear glass. Though the C/D pillar and the crumple zones might be of help then, the shattered glass (the pieces might hold together though) and the proximity of the impact will shock the rear benchers.

I am not saying that the large rear glass particularly reduces Brio's safety, but the only thing I wanted to put across is that, for the common man, it is not only safety that is a concern but also seeming to be safe is a huge factor. It is not impossible but a bit difficult to change mass perceptions.
Old 18th October 2012, 23:46   #908

Test drove the Brio today and also saw the new Brio AT in the dealership, unfortunately the dealer did not have a test drive AT car available.

A few observations from the test drive:

1) As I had read here, the air conditioner seemed weak. The car was baking in the sun for a while and the rear wasn't significantly cooler by the end of the test drive even though the a/c was on high.

2) The stiff suspension definitely makes the rear passenger feel the bumps, but the ride is not uncomfortable.

3) I was apprehensive about the small boot after reading the comments here, but the boot wasn't very small and seems adequate for most uses including the occasional weekend get away.

4) The interiors are really good and the rear is quite spacious. The interiors seemed as spacious as the i20.

Overall, I am impressed, the Brio seems like a well put together package for its price. It can definitely do with some improvements on the a/c and I would prefer a softer suspension but overall its pretty good. Strongly considering it as my first car
Old 22nd October 2012, 14:59   #909
BHPian

Took delivery of my Rally Red Brio V MT this weekend.

Honda Brio : Test Drive & Review-img_20121020_1712101.jpg

I have driven around 100 kms so far. I got a chance to drive the car in a thunderstorm, extreme bumper to bumper traffic and highway, all in one day. And to say that the car is mind blowing would be an understatement.

Quick observations:

Positives:

1. Fantastic engine
2. Spacious
3. Short turning radius
4. Super light steering
5. Head turner!

Negatives:

1. Boot space
2. Feature less - dash is minimal
3. Gearbox is a bit notchy
4. No rear wiper
5. Cabin could do with some lighting - backlit controls, glove etc.

I will upload more photos later along with a detailed write-up.

Thanks a bunch to all Team-bhpians and Brio owners whose posts I stalked all these days!
msnarain is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd October 2012, 08:57   #910
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by msnarain View Post
Took delivery of my Rally Red Brio V MT this weekend.

I have driven around 100 kms so far. I got a chance to drive the car in a thunderstorm, extreme bumper to bumper traffic and highway, all in one day. And to say that the car is mind blowing would be an understatement.

Quick observations:

Positives:

1. Fantastic engine
2. Spacious
3. Short turning radius
4. Super light steering
5. Head turner!

Negatives:

1. Boot space
2. Feature less - dash is minimal
3. Gearbox is a bit notchy
4. No rear wiper
5. Cabin could do with some lighting - backlit controls, glove etc.

I will upload more photos later along with a detailed write-up.

Thanks a bunch to all Team-bhpians and Brio owners whose posts I stalked all these days!
msnarain,

Did you buy your Brio from Capital Honda OMR? Looks like Capital Honda OMR from the pic you had posted above. Who was your sales guy?
Old 23rd October 2012, 16:42   #911
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by whencut86 View Post
msnarain,

Did you buy your Brio from Capital Honda OMR? Looks like Capital Honda OMR from the pic you had posted above. Who was your sales guy?
Yes. Capital Honda, OMR. Mr. Dharanipathy was my point of contact.
Old 23rd October 2012, 19:05   #912
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by msnarain View Post
Yes. Capital Honda, OMR. Mr. Dharanipathy was my point of contact.
I bought mine from Capital Honda OMR as well. What is the on-road price of VMT now?
Old 23rd October 2012, 20:34   #913
Senior - BHPian

Hi Brio owners and other tech gurus,

There is a slight (very slight) grinding feeling on my friend's Brio's clutch- this is almost non existent to a normal driver who may not be that observant, however, to me its quite an irritating niggle. The car is a brand new one, and has just run 500 odd kms, with first service not done yet.

The feeling persists throughout the clutch travel, its like the clutch is grinding against something while being RELEASED slowly (not while depressing the clutch)- especially in first, second and reverse gears. There is no particular difficulty in changing gears, save for the slight notchiness (which is the normal one felt on new gearboxes before being run in).

On a quick release, the feeling is not even noticeable. Otherwise, there is no hardness while depressing the clutch or releasing it.

What could be the problem?? Is it a simple case of the clutch needing some lubrication?

Please advise!
Old 24th October 2012, 10:14   #914
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by whencut86 View Post
I bought mine from Capital Honda OMR as well. What is the on-road price of VMT now?
Nice! Who was your SA? My on-road price came to Rs. 5.62L. Yours?

Quote:
Originally Posted by arindambasu13 View Post
Hi Brio owners and other tech gurus,

There is a slight (very slight) grinding feeling on my friend's Brio's clutch- this is almost non existent to a normal driver who may not be that observant, however, to me its quite an irritating niggle. The car is a brand new one, and has just run 500 odd kms, with first service not done yet.

The feeling persists throughout the clutch travel, its like the clutch is grinding against something while being RELEASED slowly (not while depressing the clutch)- especially in first, second and reverse gears. There is no particular difficulty in changing gears, save for the slight notchiness (which is the normal one felt on new gearboxes before being run in).

On a quick release, the feeling is not even noticeable. Otherwise, there is no hardness while depressing the clutch or releasing it.

What could be the problem?? Is it a simple case of the clutch needing some lubrication?

Please advise!
I took delivery of my Brio this weekend. I've driven around 350+ kms. I don't face any problem with the clutch. It is pretty smooth. I find the gearshift to be notchy. What about your friend's?
Old 24th October 2012, 21:15   #915
BHPian

[quote=msnarain;2942129]Nice! Who was your SA? My on-road price came to Rs. 5.62L. Yours?

Wow. 5.62 for VMT. Lucky you! My SA was Mr.Shan. I bought it April and on-road was 6.12.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks