Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 4th February 2013, 15:16   #1051
BHPian

Re: Honda Brio : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by arup.misra View Post
Shiv, that is exactly the reason why my wife drives her Brio and I my City. Personally I prefer to hear the vtech roar than see the Eco mode all the time.

But yes, she, like me, has maintained an excel log of fuel and religiously follows fuel tank method to calculate FE. Hence when I rechecked her calculation I was aghast. Mind you the car is fast closing on the 5k mark.

I appreciate that to true sense. I am done with 7k kms till now and still long to get anything above 15 in City. Few of my earstwhile effort has fetched me around 17 but that's for as short duration as we have rains in Bangalore.
I am trying hard to be conventional with my driving, but somehow always postpone it to next time

Nevertheless
Shiv_1984 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th February 2013, 02:00   #1052

I have had my Brio SMT(O) for 9 months now. Absolutely wonderful. I love the performance and handling (even had a close shave where her handling alone saved me and those 2 idiots on a green bike).

I have already logged 11000kms and a few thousand kilometers of that has been 400km a day long drives. The mileage is at an average 17kmpl. The maximum was 19.xx and the minimum 15.xx (all figures based on tank to tank). This is with A/C on for about 60-70% of the time. With respect to mileage, one thing i noticed is that the Brio doesn't like cities and traffic. Mileage drops off really quickly in stop and go traffic, but the highway figures are very good.

I must admit, Brio was not in my probable list until March 2012. I woke up to this option only when one of my friends (a no nonsense person) bought it. It was literally love-at-first-drive during the test drive. A lot of people around me was quite hostile towards my choice. In their eyes i was buying a car that nobody bought, had quirky styling and looked visibly small. i am glad that i stuck with my choice. Now when i see so many Brios driving around, those same people are acknowledging the fact that this is one car that has been packaged well. yes, it looks small from the rear but they have all been surprised by the room inside. The interior quality is top notch compared to the swifts of this world. Most important, i got a car with ABS and Airbags at 5.61 lakhs on road (i have seen posts where people are concerned with the absence of rear windscreen wash/wipe. this was never a concern for me, afterall, as i have driven an Alto for 50000kms without one). The only downside for me is the boot space, which is tiny. but that's fine, i can live with that...
neel24neo is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th February 2013, 15:10   #1053
Distinguished - BHPian

Getting a new Brio delivered with stock goodyear tyres. What's the general feedback on these for the Brio?
Old 7th February 2013, 16:35   #1054
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Liner View Post
Getting a new Brio delivered with stock goodyear tyres. What's the general feedback on these for the Brio?

The GYs are better than the stock MRFs , i can bet that. Nonetheless, they are noisy like any other mediocre tyres.
Old 7th February 2013, 16:46   #1055
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiv_1984 View Post
The GYs are better than the stock MRFs , i can bet that. Nonetheless, they are noisy like any other mediocre tyres.
Wondering if it makes sense to upgrade to michelins. How much would it set me back by including the buy back?
Old 7th February 2013, 16:54   #1056
BHPian

It would certainly, considering the buy back would be around 4k (approx, correct me here if someone feels so), the differential should cost you around 2k per tyre. Means altogether 10k for 5 Michelins XM1+. I would also suggest Yoko A drives with 185/65 R14, the differential would be less, they look and work almost at par with M, with a minor difference in rubber quality.

Thanks .
Shiv_1984 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th February 2013, 11:02   #1057
BHPian

Quote:
Wondering if it makes sense to upgrade to michelins. How much would it set me back by including the buy back?

I was quoted 2k per tyre for Michelins around 6 months back exchanging the stock MRF's. Both Yoko's and Michelins are good, though from what I've read Yoko's have slightly softer compound.

You can look at Pirelli P4's too. They are somewhere between Michelins and Yoko's

Upgrading to 185/65 would make sense to add better handling capabilities.
arup.misra is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th February 2013, 08:35   #1058
Distinguished - BHPian

Okay, so the upgrade to Michelin's were working out to a 13k premium, and the friend would have none of that.

Drove about 500 kms since delivery on Saturday afternoon (about 24 hours ;-) and the Goodyear's seem okay! Not unhappy at all. MID rose from 13 odd KMPL to 16.9 KMPL. I would say 15 as real world. The gearbox is great - no unnecessary first gear stiffness that's usually said to be common to new cars.

Small problem: The right rear passenger door refuses to open from the inside! Checked lock on/off, central locking, child lock, et all! Nothing. Opens clean from the outside.

I just didn't reckon I would have had to check this too during the PDI. I mean...gah!

Any clues anyone before I hammer Honda?

And what is the PSI tyre pressure rating for the stock wheels on the Brio?

Last edited by Red Liner : 11th February 2013 at 08:40.
Old 11th February 2013, 13:35   #1059
BHPian

Quote:
Okay, so the upgrade to Michelin's were working out to a 13k premium, and the friend would have none of that.

Drove about 500 kms since delivery on Saturday afternoon (about 24 hours ;-) and the Goodyear's seem okay! Not unhappy at all. MID rose from 13 odd KMPL to 16.9 KMPL. I would say 15 as real world. The gearbox is great - no unnecessary first gear stiffness that's usually said to be common to new cars.

Small problem: The right rear passenger door refuses to open from the inside! Checked lock on/off, central locking, child lock, et all! Nothing. Opens clean from the outside.

I just didn't reckon I would have had to check this too during the PDI. I mean...gah!

Any clues anyone before I hammer Honda?

And what is the PSI tyre pressure rating for the stock wheels on the Brio?

The central locking can be activated/deactivated by the driver only. Once centrally locked, unless each passenger don't unlock manually , the open lever won't work. So make sure, thats not the case here, means, the unlock button is pulled first and then the lever is pulled for opening the door.
If still it doesn't open, we have a flaw here which needs to be taken up with A$$.

The recommended pressure is 26/28 (R/F), but i feel more comfy at 28/30. Gives a little better ride.

Thanks
Old 11th February 2013, 15:08   #1060
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by thumpingheart View Post
Hi guys. I just bought a Brio EMT 18 days ago.
Congratulations on new BRIO, thumpingheart!

It would be great if you can share images of EMT here; as it is tough to find EMT at delaer's display. For quite a sometime I was trying to have a look at EMT but bad luck.

Which dealer? Which colour?
Old 11th February 2013, 15:15   #1061
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiv_1984 View Post
The central locking can be activated/deactivated by the driver only. Once centrally locked, unless each passenger don't unlock manually , the open lever won't work. So make sure, thats not the case here, means, the unlock button is pulled first and then the lever is pulled for opening the door.
If still it doesn't open, we have a flaw here which needs to be taken up with A$$.

The recommended pressure is 26/28 (R/F), but i feel more comfy at 28/30. Gives a little better ride.

Thanks
Well, all the other doors open...I'm gonna check it out myself again this evening. Thanks bro.
Old 12th February 2013, 16:28   #1062
BHPian

Every day, Bangalore city driving with AC On 100%. The MID shows 11.5 kmpl. When I compute it manually from full tank to full tank, its about 11.3. On the highway, I have managed to get in the range of 17-18 kmpl. I am just surprised to hear that some of you are able to manage 15 kmpl in city. I too try to drive in the Eco mode as much as possible. Am I missing something
Old 13th February 2013, 17:55   #1063
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by zalaps View Post
Congratulations on new BRIO, thumpingheart!

Which dealer? Which colour?
Thank you so much.

Crystal Honda. White. Here are the pics.

Honda Brio : Test Drive & Review-brio-bhp-1.jpg

Honda Brio : Test Drive & Review-brio-bhp.jpg

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellraizer View Post
Every day, Bangalore city driving with AC On 100%. The MID shows 11.5 kmpl. When I compute it manually from full tank to full tank, its about 11.3. On the highway, I have managed to get in the range of 17-18 kmpl. I am just surprised to hear that some of you are able to manage 15 kmpl in city. I too try to drive in the Eco mode as much as possible. Am I missing something
Actually with 100% AC and really bad traffic the efficiency is expected to go down. I don't think its so bad, but, during the next servicice just tell Honda guys and they will tune the car for you a bit. But don't expect too much. And if they make the burn too lean or anything the drivability and reliability will go down.

You are getting 17-18 on highway which shows there's nothing wrong.

I'm getting 15 to 15.5 kmpl (16.5 according to MID) in city but that's with just 30% AC and 50% heavy but decently moving traffic. So in conditions like yours even my FE will go down.

Try increasing the tyre pressures slightly and if possible try to make you driving style even smoother with more engine braking, minimum clutch and minimum idling. Of course don't mean to preach ()but these are the only things I can think off!!!
thumpingheart is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th February 2013, 14:22   #1064

Moderator note: Please avoid Back to back post, use EDIT after approval or Multi Quote. Thanks

See attached. On what Narain Karthikeyan had to say after taking Brio for a spin..

I am nearing a year with my Brio S(O)MT (bought in March,2012) and continues to be very happy in every way. The mileage I am getting ,however, is not what many forum members claim they are getting (around 14-15kpl in city and 19-20kpl in highway). On fulltank to fulltank basis I get around 11 kpl, with most of my driving in city; I took the car to Honda and it gave 18kpl in their tests and which according to them is their norm and therefore all is fine with my car. In highway driving I too get 18-19kpl.

So looks like the Brio loves the highway, but Honda meant it as a city car !!

I seem to scrape the corners of the front bumper of my Brio while parking close to kerb. Is it just that I am a bad driver or do others also get this problem.

I think the front bumper has a flared bottom which I think could be little rounded off to avoid this. Honda designers, are you listening ?
Attached Thumbnails
Honda Brio : Test Drive & Review-brio_nkdrive.jpg  

Last edited by Jaggu : 15th February 2013 at 15:17. Reason: Back to back posts, please use Multi Quote (Quote +) instead. Thanks
JoshVijy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th February 2013, 19:28   #1065
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoshVijy View Post
The mileage I am getting ,however, is not what many forum members claim they are getting (around 14-15kpl in city and 19-20kpl in highway). On fulltank to fulltank basis I get around 11 kpl, with most of my driving in city; I took the car to Honda and it gave 18kpl in their tests and which according to them is their norm and therefore all is fine with my car. In highway driving I too get 18-19kpl.

I seem to scrape the corners of the front bumper of my Brio while parking close to kerb. Is it just that I am a bad driver or do others also get this problem.
Milage wise I think it depends heavily on the traffic conditions, usage of AC and driving style. I genuinely think you need to change your driving style for better milage. Also keep the AC switched very judiciously and use moderate temperatures instead of very low temperatures all the time. I suppose Chennai must be pretty hot so usage on AC must be high as well as strain on compressor must be high.

Also driving with a heavy foot with heavy acceleration and deceleration and revving the engine will drastically reduce milage.

And regarding scraping of bumper, that is purely your lack of judgement of the cars dimensions. I upgraded from an Alto which is a very small compact car with (as you say) rounded bumpers. But never once did I have a problem with my Brio of scraping bumper anywhere even in very tight spaces. And the over all dimensions of the Brio are very compact and managable and visbility is good too. I think its one of the most perfect city cars as far as dimensions, turning radius, visibility and drivability is concerned.

You need to take it easy till you get completely used to the car. Scraping something is usually not the designers fault but our own. Funnily I have scraped and scratched my Alto a lot and the only reason, as I now know, were my own lack of concentration, lack of care for the car and most importantly over confidence.

Just try to adjust with the car more and take more care while driving, in both the driving style and judgement. I'm sure both the problems will very soon be solved.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks