Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 16th August 2012, 21:01   #3091
Senior - BHPian

Re: Mahindra XUV500 : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitinralli View Post
Mannubhai, forget this option as W6 has Mono screen so it will not show a moving map (turn by turn) on this screen. I use Samsung S3 Google Maps while traveling, and trust me its way too precise. I did Many trips where i had no clue bout the route, but thanks to S3 Google maps, i was able to reach my destination without a fuss. So use your phone, whichever make you have. I really dont think buying a SatNav for 10-15K is useful during the age of Smartphones. Just my 2 cents
It actually depends on the usage, your requirment, how much are you using it.
I'm always of an opinion of a dedicated device for GPS and not mixing my cell phone/smart phone with it. Smartphone can help you during the bits when you are lost and you keep fiddling with your phone while drving is not a good idea to me. If you are going to use it once in a while, you may be ok with the smart phone and get it done, I have had my HTC phone's screen broken due to continious use over long drives (hot weather effect), I fixed it and using that as a dedicated device again since I got a new phone for 2 years. Understand your usage pattern and that will help you take a call.
Old 16th August 2012, 21:11   #3092
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ketan View Post
It actually depends on the usage, your requirment, how much are you using it.
I'm always of an opinion of a dedicated device for GPS and not mixing my cell phone/smart phone with it. Smartphone can help you during the bits when you are lost and you keep fiddling with your phone while drving is not a good idea to me. If you are going to use it once in a while, you may be ok with the smart phone and get it done, I have had my HTC phone's screen broken due to continious use over long drives (hot weather effect), I fixed it and using that as a dedicated device again since I got a new phone for 2 years. Understand your usage pattern and that will help you take a call.
100% agreed. Thats exactly my point. GPS would generally be used rarely like on a trip etc. Usually, monday to friday, a person would be driving from Home to office and back, its only on weekend's when he wants to try a new place, then he might wanna use it. So my point was, why waste 10-15K just for rare occasions when you can enjoy the same for free from your smartphones. But then thats my point.
nitinralli is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th August 2012, 23:14   #3093
BHPian

I would still suggest a proper GPS unit which you can attach on the dash or front windshield. you can even take it along with you when you are traveling without your car as its portable. also using your phone for GPS can drain the battery fast. and besides when you are driving you need a bigger screen to check the route quickly. trying to check it on a small 3-4" screen can be a bit difficult. so I would any day prefer a dedicated GPS unit in a new car. also as said above it can also be used as a screen for reverse camera and for multimedia use also. a Phone GPS is a temporary solution i think.
magikrider is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th August 2012, 23:52   #3094
Senior - BHPian

I have(had) a Nokia E72 and used it with Gogole Maps. It worked like a charm. No issues at all. Secondly, am using an Android phone, which also is working perfectly. Google maps are updated "free" whereas you need to pay for upgrades on GPS devices. Even the 98 / month 2G internet GPRS connection is sufficient for GPS.

If your XUV is NOT coming with a GPS, I feel smartphones are sufficient and not really worth having a professional GPS. It is Not worth upgrading to the one in W8 either.
Old 16th August 2012, 23:53   #3095
BHPian

Has anyone installed additional "fog" lights, Am looking for options as low beam just does not do justice on highway runs with speed going 80+. Am considering a light bar http://classifieds.team-bhp.com/buy-...mp-Mount.html/ for the same as bull bar is not an option (manual 2-56)
Old 17th August 2012, 00:40   #3096
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vaibhavdalal View Post
Has anyone installed additional "fog" lights, Am looking for options as low beam just does not do justice on highway runs with speed going 80+. Am considering a light bar http://classifieds.team-bhp.com/buy-...mp-Mount.html/ for the same as bull bar is not an option (manual 2-56)
With these lights installed, you wont even need High beam
Old 17th August 2012, 01:09   #3097
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vaibhavdalal View Post
Did you explore the option of upgrading bulbs first. You get good fog lams from Philips India and its just a plug and ply job. Your warranty will remain intact.

I am not sure if aftermarket ones offer a plug-in connector for XUV specific wiring. Be careful as this will void your warranty.

For visibility, Philips upgrade will suffice IMHO
Old 17th August 2012, 10:40   #3098
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tachobells View Post
I
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ketan View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by SAMUDRA View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by nitinralli View Post
)
Quote:
Originally Posted by magikrider View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by scopriobharath View Post
Thanks a ton guys. I use a Blackberry curve with a reliance CDMA connection. Works out perfect for me for my official use. So the GPS in phone is ruled out for me.

Either I get a dedicated phone with andriod for GPS or I need to go for a stand alone GPS device.

I would then prefer a stand alone GPS device. I guess that would burn me 10-15k if I got that right ?

Last edited by GTO : 20th August 2012 at 15:22. Reason: STRICTLY no short-form language please
Old 17th August 2012, 10:45   #3099
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mannubhai View Post
Either I get a dedicated phone with andriod for GPS or I need to go for a stand alone GPS device.

I would then prefer a stand alone GPS device. I guess that would burn me 10-15k if I got that right ?
Thats true Mannubhai,

I had a plan to get the Garmin device from US and then buy the maps from here, but since i have a bigger screen in the car itself, I was initially thinking of a way to make use of that screen for the dedicated GPS, if its not a big hassel and one can do it without damaging other functionalities on W6, I would prefer that, else, I would suggest get a Garmin device, the map providers have maps and apps that run on your Garmin device which should be a good investment. You can also go for the basic device by MMI, but if you get a Garmin from US (one of your US trips or friend's) then it would come as same price and better combination.

Last edited by Ketan : 17th August 2012 at 10:51.
Old 17th August 2012, 12:49   #3100
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by me_sid View Post
Can you please tell me, when did you book? I mean what was the waiting period ?
I had booked on June 13th and have taken delivery on Aug 13th. I was promised 2-3 months waiting at the time of booking and was later informed of a 8 month waiting period by Mahindra with delivery on Jan 2013. However, for some reason I do not know, got the delivery in exactly 2 months.

FundaG
Old 17th August 2012, 14:38   #3101
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fundagenie View Post
I had booked on June 13th and have taken delivery on Aug 13th. I was promised 2-3 months waiting at the time of booking and was later informed of a 8 month waiting period by Mahindra with delivery on Jan 2013. However, for some reason I do not know, got the delivery in exactly 2 months.

FundaG
I guess the waiting period is used these days as a marketing tool.

During the first chat, SA tells the customer that the product has a long waiting period but he/she will do his/her best to reduce it. Customer is given an impression that he's given priority treatment.

These days if the SA says car doesn't have any waiting period, it gives a feeling that it's not selling well.

Old 17th August 2012, 14:49   #3102
NIP
Senior - BHPian

My 2 paise...it would be better to get an android smarphone with car mount in the 15k range and use it for GPS and phone/bluetooth functionality. You'd get the best of both worlds, and the screens on the phones these days are way better and responsive than the low-res GPS devices.
Old 17th August 2012, 21:39   #3103
BHPian

So finally got hold of my Purple Cheetah on Aug 13th.

Was excited. Drove 150km right after delivery and was impressed by overall vehicle. However, came across some of the common niggles within day 1
- Brake grinding noise + not so efficient braking
- A kat-kat-kat noise kept coming from the engine when ever I accelerated. As if the fan blades were hitting some obstruction. The sound could be clearly heard when accelerating in 1st and 2nd gears and got subtle for higher gears.
-Downshifting to the 2nd or 1st gear was real hard. And at times required some real effort for the gear to fall into the slot.
- Had the wheel alignment issue and the vehicle was slightly drifting to the left

Some other points were

-Maps got connected in no time and worked well
-Connected my Samsung S2 effortlessly by blue tooth and USB. I was able to play music via BT and video through USB. However, while playing music over BT, for some reason the pairing drops off after some time, though both devices shows as paired and music continues playing but not heard from either device. The only way out was to switch off the vehicle and restart it. Anyone out there faced this issue and got a solution
-Made a few calls via BT when the S2 was paired and my driver was impressed...
-My contacts or call log in S2 never was synced. However, my contacts and call log in Nokia E72 were synced via BT. Again any solution for S2, since I use this phone mostly
-AC was damn good and cooled the big car real fast
-Leg space was ultimate considering I am 6'3" and push back the driver seat to the max limit. Yet there was enough space for the rear passenger.
-Cabin was well insulated with very less outside noises creeping in except for the kat-kat noise from the engine when accelerating
-Horn needs some improvement and am planning to fit a better option
-The car came fitted with JK tyres and for some reason I felt them thinner than the Bridgestones I saw on the TD vehicle.

More reviews as I explore and research the beast further.

FundaG
Attached Thumbnails
Mahindra XUV500 : Test Drive & Review-20120813-16.18.44.jpg  

Mahindra XUV500 : Test Drive & Review-20120813-16.19.08.jpg  

Mahindra XUV500 : Test Drive & Review-20120814-08.15.19.jpg  

Mahindra XUV500 : Test Drive & Review-20120814-08.20.10.jpg  

fundagenie is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 17th August 2012, 22:12   #3104
SDP
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Some other points were

-My contacts or call log in S2 never was synced. However, my contacts and call log in Nokia E72 were synced via BT. Again any solution for S2, since I use this phone mostly
-Horn needs some improvement and am planning to fit a better option
Congrats FundaG! That's a lovely colour and you have captured it well in your snaps. Absolutely droolworthy snaps.

Is that palace yours, where the car is parked?
Perfect backdrop for a beautiful vehicle!

The BT has issues with Samsungs and works best with Nokia.

Did you hear the horn from outside? I have seen people getting startled by my car's horn. Inside it may feel feeble because of the insulation. Try it out.

Last edited by SDP : 17th August 2012 at 22:18.
Old 17th August 2012, 23:19   #3105
BHPian

Quote:

Was excited. Drove 150km right after delivery and was impressed by overall vehicle. However, came across some of the common niggles within day 1
- Brake grinding noise + not so efficient braking
- A kat-kat-kat noise kept coming from the engine when ever I accelerated. As if the fan blades were hitting some obstruction. The sound could be clearly heard when accelerating in 1st and 2nd gears and got subtle for higher gears.
-Downshifting to the 2nd or 1st gear was real hard. And at times required some real effort for the gear to fall into the slot.
- Had the wheel alignment issue and the vehicle was slightly drifting to the left
Good snaps. Congrats! am awaiting my purple XUV now. cant wait for two months! I booked on the same day you got your delivery! the few niggles are minor and am sure will be taken care of easily but nevertheless a brand new car having problems is not right! M&M should pull up their socks now! high time!

besides, can someone tell if iPod/iPhone works properly via USB? I prefer ipod to carry my music around than USB pen drives so. hope the 80/160 GB ipod woks properly as read here on the forum that even the 16gb usb drive gives a problem.

Last edited by magikrider : 17th August 2012 at 23:22.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks