Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 8th March 2013, 12:04   #706
Senior - BHPian

Re: Tata Safari Storme : Official Review

Price increase is official.

In Pune the LX, EX, VX 4x2, and VX 4x4 prices have been hiked by 57, 59, 67, and 72k respectively.
ebonho is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 8th March 2013, 20:25   #707
BHPian

Got these pics from my friend. Mods done by Mkraft, Mumbai.

Tata Safari Storme : Official Review-safari-storme.jpg

Tata Safari Storme : Official Review-mkraft-.jpg

Hope you guys like it!

r-six
Old 8th March 2013, 23:23   #708
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by R-Six View Post
Got these pics from my friend. Mods done by Mkraft, Mumbai.

Hope you guys like it!

r-six
Isnt this the one displayed at geneva auto show?
Old 9th March 2013, 01:55   #709
BHPian

Note from the Team-BHP Support Staff : Slang and SMS Language are STRICTLY prohibited on Team-BHP. Please type in full and proper English for the benefit of other community members.

We advise you to read the Announcements and Board Rules section before proceeding any further.

Last edited by GTO : 9th March 2013 at 13:53.
Tazzy Boy is offline   Received Infraction
Old 9th March 2013, 07:28   #710
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by h@r$h@l View Post
Isnt this the one displayed at geneva auto show?
Yep h@r$h@l, it is the same one!
Old 9th March 2013, 18:13   #711
Senior - BHPian

We had a TD of Storme today. It was a VX 4X2. But I am disappointed at the way it is built and behaved on road. Tested it on Eastern Express Highway by 3 of us. Below could be result of my getting used to Innova for 7.5 years, so no offense to anybody.

1. Vehicle was 5k driven. Yet, there were creaking noises from some places

2. The fitment of panels and gaps were not proper, e.g. the door pads were showing huge gaps instead of sticking snugly to the metal. Was it a result of driving or they are fitted like that only in factory? This was all around and not just one place.

3. There is a pointy part edge on mid-part of dashboard part on the driver side which could cause damage is bumped badly, but the chances are remote. Reminded of XUV500's similar design and it too having similar pointed part edge.

4. Immediately as I climbed into driver's seat, the steering column hit the knees...ouch. NO matter how I adjusted steering and seat, I am not 100% sure of the position. A little farther and not comfortable to reach the pedals, closer and the knees could be in uncomfortable position with respect to steering column. Maybe it has go to be used to with time.

5. The cabin looked pretty good compared to older one for sure.

6. The seats both front and rear are damn good. The middle row seats are chunky and long to give better thigh support. And I say this having used to Innova and having seen XUV500 from close quarters.

7. The last row, the less said the better, I sat once and I do not want to be in the pigeon hole ever again, my head was banging up and at rear. Only our 5-6 yrs olds were enjoying their time in there, most of the time hanging on the 2nrd row seat than sitting on the jump seats. I would rather use it ONLY for luggage.

8. What beats everything is the power and torque of the machine. It is just phenomenal. Right from stand-still to picking up high speeds in no time. Ofcourse I don't want to compare on the times that it takes for 0-100 etc, there are many comparisons that put this one down. But otherwise, it is highly satisfactory to move this beast with the torque and its spread. I specifically experienced what I wanted to see as was said in the review about being able to lug it in 1200 rpm range at even higher gears. I got it to move around at 900rpm in 5th gear at 30-40s without giving a hint that it is going to give up. I think that should make it utterly chuggable around in city traffic without need for frequent shifts. And best of all, you can easily pull it up from there without much effort. Just slowly push the pedal to power it up and it regains its driveability without giving any shudders on the way. Must say, absolutely gem compared to atleast the old beast and even to Innova on few aspects.

9. Ride and handling has improved much over the old one surely.

10. However, that has still not let me off my vomiting feelings sitting in the middle row zigzagging through traffic and overtaking. I am sure my better half and parents are not going to like it. Innova effect? Maybe. But surely other friends too concurred and this was one downer for them to reject it.

11. I am trying to test behavior above 100 on a straight open clean road and want to check how it will behave on braking. I don't want to be in that position as it gave me that feeling. At a point I just thought I was going to not able to stop as the vehicles ahead started coming into picture inspite of being far off earlier. I wouldn't get that feeling in Innova and XUV500 either. Pls don't do these speeds and try yourself in traffic, unless it is empty road.

12. Costing of Storme is something beyond my grasp. IMO even XUV500 looked better built than this for the cost. I don't like to compare based upon the features, what matters to me is the core build of the vehicle. So the less features is okay with me but not the kind of build at this price which stands at 16.8 OTR in Mumbai for VX 4X4. Whew! Suddenly, XUV500 makes much more sense to me inspite of its niggles with M&M being proactive enough to resolve issues and recall. M&M have a good ground to capture if only they find better sense on how to make niggle-free XUV500s. But surely feel that XUV500 won't be so much off-road capable as Storme, but XUV500 would be able to go most of places just like Innova.

13. Oh yes (I sincerely forgot and now remember to mention it) the nosedive is very much hereditary I guess and they can't do anything with it as such.

14. I was very much looking for it but definitely put-off and maybe I shall just look at Thar 4X4 for pure off-roading at half the cost.

Now, all these are my perceptions riding it in driver's as well as passengers seats on Easter Express Highway over a distance of 25kms. There is no intention to deliberately put down Storme on any ground, having first hand experience of XUV500 and Innova. It is as it occurred to me and nothing more. Those owning it, be proud, those looking for it, choose wisely as it suits you after TD.

Last edited by GTO : 16th March 2013 at 10:01. Reason: As requested
parsh is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th March 2013, 20:20   #712
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lukeskywalker View Post

, who knows, your wish might just become reality soon, wait and watch .
So does that mean there is an Storme upgrade coming soon?
Old 9th March 2013, 20:40   #713
Senior - BHPian

I missed instead a few minutes in the hurry as I was going out:

15. Clutch seemed pretty hard compared to even XUV500 and Innova's is butter smooth in comparison. Does it need getting used to or does it remain like that is something I would like to see.

16. Gear shift is something absolutely lovably smooth, especially much better than notchy XUV500 and quite comparable to Innova, in fact I had seen that it is notchy in some Innova's too.

17. The most SORE point as I recollect now: The middle row we come to think finally, has to be given to 2 people plus probably a teen sand-witched in-between. Why? The rear aircon foot vents console is quite a thing protruding and eating into the acres of space in the middle row. Try to seat in a full-fledged person and it cannot be achieved unless the person splits legs on each side of the console. Its quite tedious that way and did not feel comfortable at all. We definitely felt that it would have been good to have this console pushed forward between the front seats and sacrifice some things in the front. Is that why the middle row's middle portion is also designed short? But it does not help for sure.

18. The suspension seemed damn good on simple straight drive and immensely comfortable unless wobbly/rough road came in. I am yet to experience it full-fledged in ditchy village roads, but assuming that it is not going to be the best of the experience, especially having seen Innova and XUV500.

19. Turning radius is something that surprised me in this one, seemed pretty well controlled and shorter than earlier.

20. It seemed easy to maneuver in the traffic, taking swift lane shifts inspite of its bulk.
parsh is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 9th March 2013, 22:54   #714
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by parsh View Post

15. Clutch seemed pretty hard compared to even XUV500 and Innova's is butter smooth in comparison. Does it need getting used to or does it remain like that is something I would like to see.
This is due to lack of greasing done on the spring associated with the clutch. For my vehicle, they did it and it is became very light.

Quote:
11. I am at 140 on straight open clean road with other vehicles far ahead in distance, and I just want to check how it will behave on braking. I don't want to be in that position as it gave me that feeling. At a point I just thought I was going to not able to stop as the vehicles ahead started coming into picture inspite of being far off earlier. I wouldn't get that feeling in Innova and XUV500 either. Pls don't do these speeds and try yourself in traffic, unless it is empty road.
This is surprising to me. For me XUV500 braking is not at all convincing when I did a test drive and in Storme, it is way better, even much better than fortuner.
Innova, I am not sure

Last edited by moralfibre : 9th March 2013 at 23:13. Reason: Back to back posts.
g_prajeesh is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th March 2013, 00:11   #715
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

11. I am at 140 on straight open clean road with other vehicles far ahead in distance, and I just want to check how it will behave on braking. I don't want to be in that position as it gave me that feeling. At a point I just thought I was going to not able to stop as the vehicles ahead started coming into picture inspite of being far off earlier. I wouldn't get that feeling in Innova and XUV500 either. Pls don't do these speeds and try yourself in traffic, unless it is empty road.
No disrespect for your observation. But braking on Storme is definetely better than XUV 500. Already XUV500 owners are complaning about the braking. Mahindra is also looking into this problem.

Whenever i braked Storme at high speeds i felt as if i threw a 20ton anchor.
amit_mechengg is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th March 2013, 00:30   #716
Distinguished - BHPian

Also noticed, along with the price rise they have done away with the Dicor GX and VX. The variants are now -

Dicor LX @ 8.6
Dicor EX @ 9.8
Storme LX @ 10.3
Strome EX @ 11.2
Storme VX @ 12.8
Storme VX 4x4 @ 14.1

*Ex-showroom Delhi
Old 10th March 2013, 08:09   #717
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by g_prajeesh View Post
This is due to lack of greasing done on the spring associated with the clutch. For my vehicle, they did it and it is became very light.
Oh, is that so? But the way I experienced it was just too hard and the accompanying SA too said it is similar in all Stormes. If it can be so easily cured, well and good.

Quote:
This is surprising to me. For me XUV500 braking is not at all convincing when I did a test drive and in Storme, it is way better, even much better than fortuner.
Innova, I am not sure
Quote:
Originally Posted by amit_mechengg View Post
No disrespect for your observation. But braking on Storme is definetely better than XUV 500. Already XUV500 owners are complaning about the braking. Mahindra is also looking into this problem.

Whenever i braked Storme at high speeds i felt as if i threw a 20ton anchor.
Hey, no disrespect and no offense. Afterall, we are sharing our individual findings. I can't now remember how it would have been with old XUV500's braking but experience with new pads certainly got me more confidence and so my conclusion. Innova never gives me jitters when I am at high speeds, add to that the fact that I run on Yoko C-Drives which may aid the braking and control at high speeds.
Old 10th March 2013, 10:16   #718
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

17. The most SORE point as I recollect now: The middle row we come to think finally, has to be given to 2 people plus probably a teen sand-witched in-between. Why? The rear aircon foot vents console is quite a thing protruding and eating into the acres of space in the middle row. Try to seat in a full-fledged person and it cannot be achieved unless the person splits legs on each side of the console. Its quite tedious that way and did not feel comfortable at all. We definitely felt that it would have been good to have this console pushed forward between the front seats and sacrifice some things in the front. Is that why the middle row's middle portion is also designed short? But it does not help for sure.

20. It seemed easy to maneuver in the traffic, taking swift lane shifts inspite of its bulk.
Clutch action is very smooth and effortless in my Safari, not sure if it gets harder in the Storme, surprising.

Regarding middle bench, since it is the same as the older Safari, I am extremely surprised at your comment. Are you looking at stuffing three oversized persons in that space? Three normal sized humans (6 feet tall even) can sit without spreading legs in the middle row.. unless the middle bench space has shrunk in the Storme.

You have to look at the Safari as a 5 seater Suv and not a 7 seater MUV, no offense, and look at the rear jumpseat area as a very large boot, and you might appriciate the acres of space.

After the Safari, XUV,Innova are very cramped for space as per me, also the seating is lower and doesnt provide me with the commanding view of traffic as in the Safari.
The beauty of the Safari is in its long distance cruising comfort, ability to mantain 120-140 for hours together, munching up miles, which are simply not possible in a Innova.

If you are looking at moving 6-7 people, or looking at daily city commuting, then Safari/Storme is not the best car for you, if you are looking at criss crossing India with a week's luggage and 3-5 people, look no further.

Regarding pricing, its the way you look at it. 16.xx lacs for a 140ps/Abs/Ebd/Airbag/4x4 comfortable SUV is very good compared to a 110ps/4x2 MUV the Innova. It simply makes the Innova look over priced. As someone quoted in the other Storme thread, the Storme is 80% of the Fortuner for 50% the money, just shows how much the Toyotas keep ripping off us Indians.

Last edited by apachelongbow : 10th March 2013 at 10:20.
apachelongbow is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 10th March 2013, 11:13   #719
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by apachelongbow View Post
Clutch action is very smooth and effortless in my Safari, not sure if it gets harder in the Storme, surprising.
Thats really surprising, but it is as we all found in the one we drove having only 5k on ODO. As Prajesh said, I hope it is a small thing and not common across Stormes.

Quote:
Regarding middle bench, since it is the same as the older Safari, I am extremely surprised at your comment. Are you looking at stuffing three oversized persons in that space? Three normal sized humans (6 feet tall even) can sit without spreading legs in the middle row.. unless the middle bench space has shrunk in the Storme.
Forget oversized, we all 3 of us are medium built from 5'5" - 5'7" and having each one tried seating in the middle position, found it to be hindrance to spreading legs for the middle person. The middle bench seat is definitely long, wide and chunky and even provides more thigh support than Innova or XUV500, utterly comfortable in comparison. The middle person's feet get obstructed by the console and there is no other way than spread legs around the console to be in more comfortable position. The middle portion of the seat is also designed a bit shorter than the sides.

Quote:
You have to look at the Safari as a 5 seater Suv and not a 7 seater MUV, no offense, and look at the rear jumpseat area as a very large boot, and you might appriciate the acres of space.
Absolutely, it has to be looked at as a 5 seater purely and so was our view too. 7 seater expectation is too much for this sort of arrangement. In fact we even tried seating down on floor by folding the jump seats and which was more comfortable but ofcourse it cannot work for commuting as well journeys.

Quote:
After the Safari, XUV,Innova are very cramped for space as per me,
I find XUV500 is no way cramped comparatively, and we talking about middle row especially. Innova comparatively yes but has got flexibility of movable bench and has decent space if not as much as Storme. Of the lot, Safari can be said to be the best, only if that center a/c console was not hindrance to the middle passenger.

Quote:
also the seating is lower and doesnt provide me with the commanding view of traffic as in the Safari.
Absolutely! Tell you frankly, Safari makes even a commoner look King of The Road that way. I too love that view.

Quote:
The beauty of the Safari is in its long distance cruising comfort, ability to mantain 120-140 for hours together, munching up miles
That I can agree on a smooth road with least resistance and road less curvy.

Quote:
which are simply not possible in a Innova.
That is absolutely not correct. Are you sure you had daylong experience of cruising in Innova at consistent high speeds in all the rows? In fact Innova is one thing you can cruise daylong without fatigue at consistent high speed on straight as well as curvy roads (if you can live with the boom sound which is no deterrent unless one takes it on self perceptions, I can vouch for that) and decent speeds even of rough roads. XUV500 beats it hands down now unless it suddenly throws up niggles on the way.

Quote:
If you are looking at moving 6-7 people, or looking at daily city commuting, then Safari/Storme is not the best car for you, if you are looking at criss crossing India with a week's luggage and 3-5 people, look no further.
On contrary, I came out thinking that Storme was very good for a daily commute easily chuck-able through city traffic with its manners, turning radius and torque spread inspite of its bulk.

Quote:
Regarding pricing, its the way you look at it. 16.xx lacs for a 140ps/Abs/Ebd/Airbag/4x4 comfortable SUV is very good compared to a 110ps/4x2 MUV the Innova. It simply makes the Innova look over priced. As someone quoted in the other Storme thread, the Storme is 80% of the Fortuner for 50% the money, just shows how much the Toyotas keep ripping off us Indians.
As I expressed already, the torque and power are phenomenal. But so does XUV500 stands its ground firmly. Innova has no ground for that, which does not stop it from being a able car in city traffic as well a highway family cruiser for all purposes except off-roading.

But the value of the car just doesn't end at the engine specs. As said, at this cost, XUV500 made more sense seeing better build overall. Innova/Fortuner are definitely rip off from price perspective, but look at them 5-6-7... years down the line, they still stand firm as good as new, whereas I am already finding the bits and pieces showing signs of improper build in Storme. Its one's perception if somebody wants to let go of all other factors and just buy at the price based upon the engine specs. For me, it is no no, I cannot digest such build so did the other friends having seen it felt too.

Last edited by GTO : 15th March 2013 at 16:39. Reason: Removing references to illegal speeds. Thanks
Old 10th March 2013, 11:47   #720
Senior - BHPian

My daily office pickup/drop is either a Innova, Xylo sometimes a XUV (when the cab company doesnt have enough of the regular cars ), so I know from a user perspective how comfortable each one is.
XUV maybe the dark plastics make one feel claustrophobic, but the overall width and length is a bit tiny compared to the exteriors of the car. Xylo makes one want to throw up if one is working on a laptop or a tablet, looking down and the car is moving, however space is better than XUV.
Innova is better (read more car like) compared to the other two, but
as discussed above scores poorly on eqpipment level for the price.

Sad to hear of inconsistent build quality on the Storme, looks like Tata has still not got their quality act together, some peices are absolute gems, some are lemons, this will not work in this day and age.

The GX I have is absolutely spot on in terms of fit and finish, I have not noticed anything abnormally screwed together, glued together, everything fits, works and stays rattlefree even after a quickish 12k kms within the last 9 months, but I have heard of horror stories in our forum regarding the Safari.

For the 13.xx lacs I paid for my car, I have got definite value for money, and am enjoying every moment of taking a decision for the Safari.

Problem of a big car (if you self drive it) is to find parking space within the city. Lot of times i prefer to either bike it down or take a hatch within Mumbai, leaving the Safari for mainly outstation drives, however I agree the good view with almost nil blindspots help manuver this beast in traffic smoothly.

Note from the Team-BHP Support Team: Please avoid quoting an entire large post. It inconveniences our small screen & mobile readers.

Last edited by Rudra Sen : 10th March 2013 at 12:15.
apachelongbow is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks