Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 9th February 2015, 17:06   #3811
Senior - BHPian

Re: Tata Safari Storme : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunit5 View Post
Hi,

where my truck got hit on back bumper by some stone and broke black plastic cladding....)
Now have to get the bumper fixed (black plastic under the bumper)....
Ditto here only difference was impact was due to other reasons. Am waiting for nearly 12 days now for that black part to reach the TASS

Quote:
Originally Posted by himanshugoswami View Post
In samsung phones you need to save password for bluetooth on your device. once done it will remember it and connect everytime you get into the car.
Oh is it ? But I don't recall seeing a password saving prompt ? Do I need to check that elsewhere in the settings ? Anyway will try out it today evening - thanks
Old 9th February 2015, 17:34   #3812
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by narayan View Post
Ditto here only difference was impact was due to other reasons. Am waiting for nearly 12 days now for that black part to reach the TASS

Oh is it ? But I don't recall seeing a password saving prompt ? Do I need to check that elsewhere in the settings ? Anyway will try out it today evening - thanks
How are you getting this part replaced ? under insurance or from pocket. how much it is costing any idea...
Old 9th February 2015, 18:05   #3813

Quote:
How are you getting this part replaced ? under insurance or from pocket. how much it is costing any idea...
Believe it's around 4~5k
Old 10th February 2015, 12:48   #3814
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
My car is on company lease and hence all repairs are done under insurance only. Dont know the price of this part though
Old 20th February 2015, 23:26   #3815
Senior - BHPian

The bumper black piece is 6500. Got it replaced today under insurance.
narayan is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th February 2015, 19:10   #3816
Senior - BHPian

A quick update: Finished 13500 kms in a short 10 months of ownership. Last trip was a 2500 kms trip starting from Hyderabad, NH63 to Belgaum, NH4 to Nipani, Goa (IBW), then GOA-Nh4- Mumbai and today Mumbai NH4 Pune, NH9 to Hyderabad. Absolute comfort and a hoot to drive on all kinds of highways and no road situations. No issues, no squeaks or rattles so far . Kept the car in between 2500 to 3000rpm in 5th gear when traffic permitted, and the car returned a fantastic 13.4 kmpl at the maximum and a minimum of 11kmpl. I am a satisfied Storme owner!!!
apachelongbow is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 9th March 2015, 12:48   #3817
BHPian

An update after long: 15,000 km done in 9 months. No major issues faced till date, minor irritants like door rattling has been taken care off by the tape on the U clip. In the last one month, something seems to have come loose in the front left seat assembly which results in a rattle while going over uneven surfaces at low speeds. Will get it rectified when I give the beast for service this week.

Happy and satisfied.
garyag79 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 10th March 2015, 09:37   #3818
BHPian

Odo for Polar Bear (my Storme) stands at 4300Kms now. All going on well. Getting ready for a ~1600 Kms trip to Chennai > Kanyakumari > TVM > Chennai this weekend.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaymant View Post
The seller confirmed that Storme and Dicor mirrors were the same. So I bought it for about 350 bucks. When it arrived, I found that the size was smaller than Storme's mirror. However, the difference was very small (at the max 1 mm). But still it was not heated. So I took out the heater coil (which is printed and pasted on the back of the mirror), and pasted it at the back of the new mirror and fitted it back
Thanks to a rouge Tempo Traveller driver the RHS wing mirror broke. No damage to the casing, just scratches. TASS would have charged ~5000 for the entire assembly and might also charge painting charges.

Thanks to kaymant, i ordered a sub-mirror from carspareworld.in for INR 390. Fits snugly, plug and play. But i was not patient enough to transfer the heating coil.

Note: I am not connected to carspareworld.in or have any commercial interests.
hyper-VTEC is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th March 2015, 11:41   #3819
Senior - BHPian

Update on Beastie. 2 years old now, 15,500 kms. Last (4th) free service completed. Right rear shocker again showed seepage (this was part of the whole set of 4 they had changed in warranty). The shocking thing for me is that Tata has given the serice stations an official advisory for replacement of shockers under warranty where the degree of leakage is categorized under 3 categories depending on whow much of the body of the shocker is stained with oil. Only category 2 and 3 get warranty replacements. Mine was category 1. Even so, knowing me (and my emails/phone cals), they replaced it.

The sump leakage was there again though not as bad as last time (when they had replaced the gasket with sealant etc.). This time there were only two seepage/sweat trails from two individual bolts. Photos, taken, emails sent, Tata guys put on alert, and the gasket and sealant was replacd again with assurances that this time it will not recur. Lets see.

This time they have gotten a barrel of the Mobil along with barrels of the Castrol, so no special oil cans had to be procured for me. Also noticed that they replaced my air filter (though the service schedule does not specify it for this service) as it was really looking dirty (my trips to Gujarat probably).

The headlights were focused this time using some stand-sensor gizmo which apparently was there only at Concord, so my truck had to be driven there and back for that, as National did not have it (again emails sent - this is absurd, you cannot service your truck in one place, get headlights adjusted in another, and wheel alignment done at a third .....). Whel alignement was done at Concord (print out taken). It was repeated at National (printout again taken). The values just did not match. However, handle is straight, truck is going straight, so am just letting it go. Wheels were rotated. Not the cross pattern of the manual, but simple front to back (its a long story, mentioned in my Beastie thread .....)

Wash and polish was really good this time. Slightly marred by the fact that someone had forgotten the wet rubber mats in the 3rd row (I have the 5 piece Storme carpets plus the normal black rubber mats for rains, slush etc.).

Truck feels nice and tight. No sounds. Nice solid thuds of the suspension. Engine sounds smooth. Very sprightly. Truck is literally jumping at accelerator input. Love it. Headlight focus too is lovely now. Good job!
ebonho is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 10th March 2015, 13:32   #3820
Team-BHP Support

Its appears, that there is some kind of problem with the suspension setup of storme. So many cases of failing dampers does not happen unless the suspension geometry has some issues.
Hopefully, Tata will sort this out before warranty runs out for Storme owners.
Replacing shockers is curing the symptom. Today, you can get a new damper every 10,000-15000kms when your car is in warranty. What after that? New damper every 3 months for the people having significant running?
tsk1979 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th March 2015, 13:55   #3821
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
Its appears, that there is some kind of problem with the suspension setup of storme. So many cases of failing dampers does not happen unless the suspension geometry has some issues.
Hopefully, Tata will sort this out before warranty runs out for Storme owners.
Replacing shockers is curing the symptom. Today, you can get a new damper every 10,000-15000kms when your car is in warranty. What after that? New damper every 3 months for the people having significant running?
This is exactly what every Storme owner is thinking.

The saving grace is that last time, all 4 were leaking (as per their classification - all very categories 2-3).

This time 3 were bone dry, only one was a category 1 (top 3rd of the tube length only).

I don't know if you guys remember me saying in a post that from behind, the right side of my Storme appeared slightly lower? I even found the distance between the top of the tyre and the wheel well fiber cladding to be less than on the left side.

Could this have been the cause?
Old 10th March 2015, 14:30   #3822
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebonho View Post
I don't know if you guys remember me saying in a post that from behind, the right side of my Storme appeared slightly lower? I even found the distance between the top of the tyre and the wheel well fiber cladding to be less than on the left side.

Could this have been the cause?
After replacing the damper, did the ride height get okay? That said, damper is for damping. Ride height depends upon the coil spring. Damper should be mated to the coil spring. If this is not proper, it will cause premature damper failure, as the seal can give away prematurely.
I think Tata now needs to study the issue in detail, and call for a recall if there is a problem,
tsk1979 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th March 2015, 14:38   #3823
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
After replacing the damper, did the ride height get okay? That said, damper is for damping. Ride height depends upon the coil spring. Damper should be mated to the coil spring. If this is not proper, it will cause premature damper failure, as the seal can give away prematurely.
I think Tata now needs to study the issue in detail, and call for a recall if there is a problem,
Thanks Tanveer. I will check it out (very rough stacked hand width/span type meusurement I had done last time) and report. Looks ok to me from behind. Even before, it was very unnees-bees types (explainable by camber/slope of ground where vehicle parked).

The coil springs were replaced along with the rear dampers the last time. Not this time. This time it was only the offending damper.

I agree with you. It really should not be happening. There is really no excuse. Enough testing has gone into this vehicle and every component. And the funny part is that revised and improved suspension is one of the touted USPs over the Dicor. Which it is - when and till it does not leak!

Btw, do you agree with the traditional front-back type wheel rotation as against the cross pattern one as in the manual?

Last edited by ebonho : 10th March 2015 at 14:39.
Old 10th March 2015, 16:03   #3824
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebonho View Post
Thanks Tanveer. I will check it out (very rough stacked hand width/span type meusurement I had done last time) and report. Looks ok to me from behind. Even before, it was very unnees-bees types (explainable by camber/slope of ground where vehicle parked).

The coil springs were replaced along with the rear dampers the last time. Not this time. This time it was only the offending damper.

I agree with you. It really should not be happening. There is really no excuse. Enough testing has gone into this vehicle and every component. And the funny part is that revised and improved suspension is one of the touted USPs over the Dicor. Which it is - when and till it does not leak!

Btw, do you agree with the traditional front-back type wheel rotation as against the cross pattern one as in the manual?
Traditional front to back is fine. Just go for cross next time. Only if one side wear and tear is more, you need to do cross type if you are "NOT" fixing alignment properly. For example, in my safari, sometimes the guy knew alignment would be out, so he would rotate as a stop gap thing till I got the suspension sorted out.
Old 10th March 2015, 16:16   #3825
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Traditional front to back is fine. Just go for cross next time. Only if one side wear and tear is more, you need to do cross type if you are "NOT" fixing alignment properly. For example, in my safari, sometimes the guy knew alignment would be out, so he would rotate as a stop gap thing till I got the suspension sorted out.
I thought the cross thing was so that the stepney also gets utilized.

Pardon my newbie assumption, but when you cross, will not the direction of rotation of the tyre change? That apparently has an effect both on the veering of the truck as well as the resistance felt at the steering wheel by the driver.

Most of the traditional guys at the service centers (doing Dicors for donkey's years) somehow do not suggest/are not comfortable with the cross thing. Saying the stepney will remain unused, as a emergency spare.

The last time, when I was having a problem with alignment (repeated twice, still steering was slightly crooked, and truck was feeling out and veering slightly to the left), we finally solve the issue by:

1) Reversing the cross rotation to the original position

2) Getting the alignement done at Pandit

Later we found out that the National alignement platform itself was slightly off, the foundation having settled on one side ..... apparently that has now been rectified.

Last edited by ebonho : 10th March 2015 at 16:25.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks