Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 2nd July 2014, 21:13   #7531
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Ford EcoSport : Official Review

I thought this was a simple question when you first asked it. Now I'm not so sure!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 97_Octane
If the remote's battery is dead, we open the doors manually and start the car normally right? Why should we press the start button with the remote? Is it for some sort of disarming?
We can't start the car 'normally' if there is no key slot to do so.

I am imagining --could be wrong--- that the starting system senses the presence of the key fob. If not, all a thief needs is an unlocked car. So, if the start mechanism senses the key fob, does that still work if the fob battery is flat?

I guess this is no mystery to those who own and drive the car every day. Guys? Help us out? We are both banging our heads on this now

~

Last edited by Thad E Ginathom : 2nd July 2014 at 21:14.
Old 2nd July 2014, 23:46   #7532
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 97_Octane View Post
Apologies, couldn't understand this. If the remote's battery is dead, we open the doors manually and start the car normally right? Why should we press the start button with the remote? Is it for some sort of disarming? this.
When remotes battery is dead, keyless entry won't work. So you have to manually open the door with the provided key. Now once you are in, you don't have a key hole anywhere in the dash. Here is the tricky part, Key consist of RFID transmitter, when the remote has a good battery inside, remote uses this power and transmits the RFID signal well, which is in-turn received by RFID receiver somewhere inside dash. At this stage, when we press the start/stop button car springs to life, since it knows the key is near by or inside the car.

In our case, remotes battery is already dead. So its not transmitting the RFID signal now, so the receiver inside the dash don't know that key is in the car, thus car will not start when we hit the start/stop button.

Here is where the designing team made a good move, they must have placed the RFID receiver directly behind the push button, so when the remotes battery dies out, we can press the button with remote and RFID receiver will get the faint signal from our remote and start the car (Same as we swipe our access cards at office doors).
limited-edition is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd July 2014, 08:21   #7533
Senior - BHPian

Guys who are planning to buy new ecosport,the prices have been increased by 1%.I believe now the Titanium optional might cross 10lac mark and hence highrr tax in karnataka.
Renault also have increasrd the price by 1%.
Old 3rd July 2014, 08:45   #7534
BHPian

Also I hear that Ford is starting 3 shift operations at its Chennai plant, so Ecosport deliveries may be far more prompt than before.

Also they lost a large Ecosport export order to its Indonesia plant, so that benefits Indian customers in more capacity being available to us too.
Old 3rd July 2014, 08:50   #7535

I do not understand this obsession with 4WD and the belief that it is the magic bullet that will help you transverse the road to hell itself.

Yes, 4WD gives you an advantage over 2WD on snow and on really poor roads where traction is at a premium, provided you have the appropriate tyres of course. Most standard fit tyres are now on-road biased, and so in a really sticky situation your 4WD is not going to pull you out of trouble. It doesn't matter how sophisticated your 4WD system is, if the tyres can't grip, you are going nowhere. Manufacturers hype their all-terrain capabilities, and various traction modes, but it is all marketing hype, since the tyres they use cannot do the job of proper off-road tyres.

A properly driven 2WD car on the right tyre will go farther than a 4WD with tarmac tyres.
FlyinDoc is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 3rd July 2014, 09:15   #7536
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsurya View Post
Also I hear that Ford is starting 3 shift operations at its Chennai plant, so Ecosport deliveries may be far more prompt than before.

Also they lost a large Ecosport export order to its Indonesia plant, so that benefits Indian customers in more capacity being available to us too.
Wasnt this already in place (shift operations)? The reason for the huge backlog is because the suppliers are not able to meet the demand. Good to hear that Indonesian plant is taking over the exports. Now we can expect them to clear the backlogs pretty fast which will also make sure that the new fiesta bookings/deliveries are not affected.
Old 3rd July 2014, 10:07   #7537
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I didn't know they have started manufacturing Ecosport in Indonesia. I thought they were servicing the Indonesian market from their Thailand factory.
Old 3rd July 2014, 10:21   #7538
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilful View Post
I didn't know they have started manufacturing Ecosport in Indonesia. I thought they were servicing the Indonesian market from their Thailand factory.
You might be right, I might have mixed Indonesia & Thailand - but one of them has won the export order over the Indian arm, so more capacity is available for Indian customers.
Old 3rd July 2014, 11:10   #7539
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
You might be right, I might have mixed Indonesia & Thailand - but one of them has won the export order over the Indian arm, so more capacity is available for Indian customers.
I think you are referring to this report that came a few weeks ago.
http://articles.economictimes.indiat...ort-ford-motor
Old 3rd July 2014, 15:33   #7540
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by limited-edition View Post
... Here is where the designing team made a good move, they must have placed the RFID receiver directly behind the push button, so when the remotes battery dies out, we can press the button with remote and RFID receiver will get the faint signal from our remote and start the car (Same as we swipe our access cards at office doors).
Many thanks for your very full explanation. So there is a work aroud, which should work, if only the driver knows about it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyinDoc View Post
I do not understand this obsession with 4WD and the belief that it is the magic bullet that will help you transverse the road to hell itself.
When my wheels were spinning on the gravel slope outside my house (new road surface in progress) 4WD should have got me out easily, because two wheels would have been on a griping surface. Well, it's tar there now, so rushing out to buy a 4WD would have been rather excessive, but the whole deal of higher clearance, 4wd, etc might still be desirable for some of the no-better-than-track roads I drive on.
Old 3rd July 2014, 17:30   #7541
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by limited-edition View Post
In our case, remotes battery is already dead. So its not transmitting the RFID signal now, so the receiver inside the dash don't know that key is in the car, thus car will not start when we hit the start/stop button.

Here is where the designing team made a good move, they must have placed the RFID receiver directly behind the push button, so when the remotes battery dies out, we can press the button with remote and RFID receiver will get the faint signal from our remote and start the car (Same as we swipe our access cards at office doors).
I am not too sure about this, but what I have come to understand is that RFID does not require a power source. The spare key (of all modern cars) has a RFID chip inside which does not have a battery inside. So even if the battery of the key/fob runs down, the RFID still works. Somebody knowledgeable can correct me if I am wrong.
blacksport is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd July 2014, 19:23   #7542
Distinguished - BHPian

There have been some sort of electronic-sensed gizmo in even manual-entry car keys for a very long time now: a cut copy will fit the lock and turn the key, but will not start the engine. I don't know what technology, and I don't know if it work at pocket distance.
Old 3rd July 2014, 22:01   #7543
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
There have been some sort of electronic-sensed gizmo in even manual-entry car keys for a very long time now: a cut copy will fit the lock and turn the key, but will not start the engine. I don't know what technology, and I don't know if it work at pocket distance.
That was exactly what I was talking about earlier. That is why Honda coolly asks for 6k for replacing a non-remote spare key. I found this article on the internet.

http://electronics.howstuffworks.com...on-system1.htm
blacksport is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd July 2014, 22:29   #7544
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by blacksport View Post
I am not too sure about this, but what I have come to understand is that RFID does not require a power source. The spare key (of all modern cars) has a RFID chip inside which does not have a battery inside. So even if the battery of the key/fob runs down, the RFID still works. Somebody knowledgeable can correct me if I am wrong.
Yes, RFID don't need a power source. Battery is amplifying the RFID signal, son when battery is dead RFID works in its conventional way.

Hope this video helps .

I read the same in Hyundai i20 Manual.
limited-edition is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th July 2014, 09:41   #7545
BHPian

4WD would be an overkill for such a requirement. Traction Control in a 2WD vehicle do just fine in the situation you described. Only the AT variant has traction control.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
When my wheels were spinning on the gravel slope outside my house (new road surface in progress) 4WD should have got me out easily, because two wheels would have been on a griping surface. Well, it's tar there now, so rushing out to buy a 4WD would have been rather excessive, but the whole deal of higher clearance, 4wd, etc might still be desirable for some of the no-better-than-track roads I drive on.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks