Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 12th July 2016, 12:19   #10321
BHPian

Re: Ford EcoSport : Official Review

I am seeing a somewhat weird behaviour in the FM reception.

The fidelity of sound for the radio keeps varying frequently. It happens with all cars when being driven in basement or similar areas. With Ecosport I am noticing this on open roads where my other car has no issues. The sound quality keeps going from extremely good to really low-fi with loss of clarity and treble.

Any suggestions as to what is happening here. Any suggested remedies?
Old 12th July 2016, 13:44   #10322

Quote:
Originally Posted by amit.s View Post
Thanks. Maybe you can upload the zip to Google Drive / One Drive/ Dropbox etc and share the link with me over PM. I will try to install from the zip file.
I don't have BHPian status as yet so can't PM Do send me your Google credentials so that i can share the link with you.
angryangel is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th July 2016, 14:01   #10323
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eyas337 View Post
+1, even I felt exactly the same while sitting at the back seat of a test drive car driven on a bad patch of road.

After reading all the positive reviews here on TBHP, felt probably it was due to incorrect air pressure in the Tyre's, but your results now concern me.

I've booked Titanium+ TDCI last week (surprisingly has a 3-4 week wait period )
Just to be on the safe side, I suggest you take another test drive, especially with elderly at home (if that's the case)

Quote:
Originally Posted by amit.s View Post
After TD, my mother had said NO to Ecosports because of the stiffness at the back. I still went ahead with the purchase, assuring her I will do some modifications/adjustments to make it better. She was OK with my assurance. However now she has adjusted to it and I have adjusted my driving style a little bit. Now she doesn't complain about it that much. Its not a deal breaker anymore.
As carefully as I drive, I think the problem lies in the fact that the Ecosport just isn't as comfortable as the other cars we own - Cedia, and the Punto. Sigh

Quote:
Originally Posted by pixantz View Post
Thats the way to go. If your roads are bad or crater like, as you find in India, you adjust your driving style. Not the suspension! That to compromising driving dynamics and stability in the process which is the logical outcome!

There is no such thing as "stiff suspension" in a production car as such. They are all made for comfort. But yes,there are wallowy suspensions where springs and dampers are deliberately softened to stupid levels in order to sell more to 'family' people.

The suspensions which we call "stiff" in India, like the ones in Honda, Ford, etc are actually perfectly balanced stuff for performance as well as comfort. The reaction should be to drive accordingly. Not soften up your suspension.

Thats the way I see it at least. But to each his own.
I don't completely agree with you on this. Especially since I've owned two cars that are delights to drive, but manage to offer much better comfort than the Ecosport does.

While I agree that roads in India are terrible, I also feel that manufacturers need to make adequate adjustments towards the same.
Old 12th July 2016, 17:25   #10324
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sukrit7 View Post

I don't completely agree with you on this. Especially since I've owned two cars that are delights to drive, but manage to offer much better comfort than the Ecosport does.
Hi Sukrit, I would suggest that you don't worry much about the discomfort, esp. if your ride has not crossed the 20k milestone. I have noticed reduction in stiffness post the 20k service. I complained about the stiffness in prior two services and Harpreet Ford promised me it will get softer and it indeed has. Also, maintain tyre pressure at 32-33 and for mild bumps and rough patches go at speed around 40km/hr or more and I assure you it will handle the undulations like a champ.
BB311 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th July 2016, 17:49   #10325
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BB311 View Post
Hi Sukrit, I would suggest that you don't worry much about the discomfort, esp. if your ride has not crossed the 20k milestone. I have noticed reduction in stiffness post the 20k service. I complained about the stiffness in prior two services and Harpreet Ford promised me it will get softer and it indeed has. Also, maintain tyre pressure at 32-33 and for mild bumps and rough patches go at speed around 40km/hr or more and I assure you it will handle the undulations like a champ.
Thanks!
I shall somehow try to get through one year of driving very quickly!

Pressure at 32 - 33? Won't 30 be better?
Old 12th July 2016, 18:33   #10326
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Also, maintain tyre pressure at 32-33 and for mild bumps
Quote:
Pressure at 32 - 33? Won't 30 be better?
Sukrit7 - you're right: 30 psi for the tires is what Ford recommends for normal loads (i.e. not fully laden).
Name:  20160712.png
Views: 4489
Size:  14.9 KB

Quote:
As the owner of one of the most well documented Ecosports, was wondering if you had a similar problem (rear seat stiffness) with the Ecosport.
People (including parents) have sat in the back seat of my EcoSport within the city for only about 200 km. Otherwise its always been the front seats alone that are occupied. In those journeys where there are passengers on the rear seat, I know that it can be uncomfortable in the rear, so I drive sedately, and take bad roads/speed breakers much more cautiously (i.e. echoing what wilful said in the previous page). In particular, I don't start accelerating away until after the rear wheels have crossed the speed breaker/pothole (I might even use a light touch of the brakes just prior to the rear wheels reaching it). Failure to do so sends in a truly nasty jump to the rear seat occupants, which is not very noticeable to the driver.

A bit of caution is required more in the case of my Titanium (O) because the combination of no grab handles, smooth leather seats and a relatively flat bench can easily unsettle rear passengers and make them move around. I strongly suspect this is also the case with your EcoSport, given it is also a Titanium (O).

On the other hand, on the highway and for long journeys, the back benchers have been very comfortable, and have always said they've reached very fresh and with no back/body discomfort. This is because there's no undue roll or bounciness in the suspension.

Last edited by arunphilip : 12th July 2016 at 18:53. Reason: Resized image for watermark, replied to follow-up question
arunphilip is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th July 2016, 18:40   #10327
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arunphilip View Post
Sukrit7 - you're right: 30 psi for the tires is what Ford recommends for normal loads (i.e. not fully laden).
Attachment 1528048
Thanks Arun!
As the owner of one of the most well documented Ecosports, was wondering if you had a similar problem (rear seat stiffness) with the Ecosport.
Old 12th July 2016, 23:19   #10328
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by libranof1987 View Post
Hey guys, how do you find the headlights on the EcoSport?
They absolutely suck. I'm running Osram Night breaker Unlimited and they are marginally better.

I have Philips Crystal vision in the fog lamp and Osram Night breaker unlimited in the main headlamps. I use both at all times as the headlights are horrible.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desmosedici View Post
In simple plain words - the headlights suck. I have been thinking and thinking on whether to get one of the following:

1. Aftermarket Projector Setup - Too whitish light. Warranty issues. Reliability.

2. Bulb Upgrade - From whatever i have read, its better but just marginally (Osram NightBreakers / Philips Extreme Vision 130+ etc)

3. Relay with ceramic holders and 100/90 bulbs - Not sure if this involves splicing of wires.

4. Hella driving lights - These can be powered off the battery directly and the output is great (personal experience with my previous Gypsy)

I am tilted towards 3 or 4.

3 should be cost effective (1500 for relay + ~500 - 1000 bucks for 100/90 bulbs)

4 should cost around 4000 for the Hellas + additional for wiring, switch etc.

But since my driving is very very low i have not done anything uptil now.

Cheers,
Raj
#3 is pointless. The higher wattage will help but the issue is not the bulb but the reflector design, using a higher wattage bulb will increase the light output but won't affect the throw. The problem is the reflector design which has horrible throw.

Bulb upgrade makes a small difference but is not a solution, just makes it little better.

Hella driving lights or projector upgrade is only option to get best results.
Vid6639 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th July 2016, 23:47   #10329
BHPian

Quote:
Sukrit7 - you're right: 30 psi for the tires is what Ford recommends for normal loads
ArunPhilip, at 30 it looks quite deflated. Besides full load = 3 to 4 people or approximate 300 Kgs. Shouldn't it be according to everyone's weight too ? I am alone 110. Consider this, I drive alone to office and come back and pick my wife and kids (although I don't have either, just for a common man's reference) in the evening for an outing. So, shouldn't we have an adjustment at intermediate pressure ?

[Off-Topic] Is their any reason for the tyrewallah to pressurize the tires at 36 when I told him to keep it at 32, while filling nitrogen ? He said, Nitrogen is lighter and needs a higher than recommended pressure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vid6639 View Post
They absolutely suck. I'm running Osram Night breaker Unlimited and they are marginally better.

I have Philips Crystal vision in the fog lamp and Osram Night breaker unlimited in the main headlamps. I use both at all times as the headlights are horrible.

Hella driving lights or projector upgrade is only option to get best results.
I am also using both the headlights and Fog Lamps at the same time. Taking this into consideration wouldn't point 3 be cheap and significant ? I was going to get this done today.

How about a cree led bar ?? Will it void the warranty too ?
Old 13th July 2016, 08:47   #10330
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

I am also using both the headlights and Fog Lamps at the same time. Taking this into consideration wouldn't point 3 be cheap and significant ? I was going to get this done today.

How about a cree led bar ?? Will it void the warranty too ?
Cree LED Bar should be good but i dont think you can use it on a daily basis within city. The ones i have seen are just too bright. You might blind the traffic and also get into cop trouble.

I was wondering whether there are any LED Bars with lesser whitish light and can the output be controlled via a dimmer (like we do for lights at home). This can help regulate how much light is being throw out.

Secondly, you will need to make it theft proof.
Old 13th July 2016, 09:26   #10331
BHPian

Folks, are the headlight reflector modified for 2015 ecosport?

Previous generation figo also suffered from similar problems and Ford had changed the reflectors in 2013 facelift.
Old 13th July 2016, 10:51   #10332
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vid6639 View Post

I guess I'll start with this; did you get this change done at the A.S.S. or outside? And, ordered through Amazon or a local shop?
Old 13th July 2016, 11:00   #10333
BHPian

Quote:
Attachment 1528049

People (including parents) have sat in the back seat of my EcoSport within the city for only about 200 km. Otherwise its always been the front seats alone that are occupied. In those journeys where there are passengers on the rear seat, I know that it can be uncomfortable in the rear, so I drive sedately, and take bad roads/speed breakers much more cautiously (i.e. echoing what wilful said in the previous page). In particular, I don't start accelerating away until after the rear wheels have crossed the speed breaker/pothole (I might even use a light touch of the brakes just prior to the rear wheels reaching it). Failure to do so sends in a truly nasty jump to the rear seat occupants, which is not very noticeable to the driver.

A bit of caution is required more in the case of my Titanium (O) because the combination of no grab handles, smooth leather seats and a relatively flat bench can easily unsettle rear passengers and make them move around. I strongly suspect this is also the case with your EcoSport, given it is also a Titanium (O).

On the other hand, on the highway and for long journeys, the back benchers have been very comfortable, and have always said they've reached very fresh and with no back/body discomfort. This is because there's no undue roll or bounciness in the suspension.
Thank you for the detailed response. I'll replicate this technique.
I agree with you that the lack of grab handles is a distinct problem, however, not much can be done about that.
Old 13th July 2016, 11:47   #10334
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
I guess I'll start with this; did you get this change done at the A.S.S. or outside? And, ordered through Amazon or a local shop?
It should take you no longer than 30s to change the headlight bulb yourself.

The foglamp bulbs is 10mins for right side and 20mins for left side.
Vid6639 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th July 2016, 11:48   #10335
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
ArunPhilip, at 30 it looks quite deflated. Besides full load = 3 to 4 people or approximate 300 Kgs. Shouldn't it be according to everyone's weight too ? ... So, shouldn't we have an adjustment at intermediate pressure ?
Yes - you can definitely pick a value between the min/max that Ford specified, based on your particular needs and usage. For instance, I personally use 33 psi all around, for the slightly firmer feel it gives me (with the downside of increased bumpiness), despite having only 1-2 people in the car in total.

Quote:
Is their any reason for the tyrewallah to pressurize the tires at 36 when I told him to keep it at 32, while filling nitrogen ? He said, Nitrogen is lighter and needs a higher than recommended pressure.
That is hilarious! Is he filling nitrogen by weight or pressure? By weight is the only reason why that argument will hold good.

Quote:
I bought the Osram NB bulbs online, and got it fitted at FASS during a regular service. That was when FASS said they also keep stock of these bulbs (they don't keep higher wattage bulbs for obvious reasons). Then again, fitting these bulbs in the headlight is quite straightforward, so you can DIY.

Quote:
I agree with you that the lack of grab handles is a distinct problem, however, not much can be done about that.
Why not try these out - grab handles fitted on the headrest struts?
Ford EcoSport : Official Review-61rncnlrd0l._sl1000_.jpg
No personal experience of them, but the Amazon.com reviews appear good. Also available on Amazon.in for under Rs. 700.

Quote:
Yep, the very same. Nice to see the prices have reduced. I paid ~2000 in May 2014.

See this post for instructions on changing the headlight bulbs: http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...ml#post3597271

Last edited by arunphilip : 13th July 2016 at 12:12.
arunphilip is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed