Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 30th June 2022, 23:23   #12676

Re: Ford EcoSport : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by vnabhi View Post
Driving in 4th gear at around 80 to 90 is what I had done. 3rd gear is not advisable, going by the recommendation of Ford. I'd first tried the 3rd gear trick for around 10 minutes, but that did not seem to work.

Please see the url below, and it mentions driving on 4th or 5th gear for about 60 kms at > 60 kmph, with the odo between 1500 to 2300 rpm.

https://www.india.ford.com/owner/die...culate-filter/
Thanks a lot for that link! However, going by the spirit of the instruction, i feel it is necessary to maintain high load high rpm (that's what it says in that page). Also, driving in 3rd gear is specifically not barred. My suggestion was in the extreme case where one is not in a situation to maintain the required engine rpm with transmission in 4th/5th gear, one can try in 3rd gear, and it was not suggested as a norm. Anyways, i haven't had to try the 3rd gear idea yet as i have plenty of highway driving opportunities for the exhaust cleaning drive. I'll check the 3rd gear idea from my side once and see if it works or doesn't as you've said. Cheers
KNaga is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st July 2022, 11:37   #12677
Senior - BHPian

Guys, i recently carried out a wheel-rotation, balancing and alignment with the odo at 9850 kms. This was the first time this was done on my Ecosport. I got it done at a trusted tyre dealer and not at FASS, as they charge a bomb for it.

But after that, the TPMS sensor shows the front right tyre as having 37 PSI, though I went again to the bunk nearby and found the reading to be 32 PSI, as in all other tyres.

Is there something I need to reset so that the correct reading comes? I did not fine any reset menu under tyre pressure on the console. All that i could see is a 'Store' button, but I don't know that that does. I even long-pressed it till it said 'OK' , but nothing happened after that.

Any inputs?
Old 1st July 2022, 16:35   #12678

Quote:
Originally Posted by KNaga View Post
My ES is BS-VI 2021 April. Was using mostly on highways and had no DPF issue. Got the Recall done in end of December '21 when DPF along with some other components was changed and PCM Software was updated. Continued with mostly highway runs. In April, when I went to Chennai, got the same message in about 300 km of city run. Had another highway run planned already, so drove at 2000 RPM till I got another message saying "EXHAUST CLEAN DRIVE COMPLETED" or similar.

At 2000 RPM, in 5th gear, the speed is above 90 KMPH so you can't maintain the engine speed. I have found a trick where I drive in 4th gear at 2000 RPM when the speed is 75 KMPH which is better maintainable than 90 KMPH. In fact, one can try 3rd gear where the speed would be even lower and even more maintainable. Idea is to maximise the continuous time for which the engine will be running at 2000 RPM. Keep an eye on the "INSTANTANEOUS FUEL CONSUMPTION" - a lower figure will indicate "EXHAUST CLEAN DRIVE" going on, and the figure will magically jump to at least 140% once the "EXHAUST CLEAN DRIVE" completes.

With the updated PCM Software, it tries to automatically perform exhaust clean drive every now and then, which leads to a BIG drop in the "INSTANTANEOUS FUEL CONSUMPTION" figure. Follow procedure as I've told above.
Thanks KNaga, I did try the above and managed to get the exhaust clean only after couple of highways drives for about 30 mins each. But the car still loses power after the initial 5 mins and feels like a SUV with a 800cc engine. While my wife & me are extremely frustrated with this experience from a 2021 Ecosport, we do joke around that it feels like driving a small diesel car with a SUV skin. Plan to share my experience owing an Ecosport & its 8 rounds to the service station in last 14 months of buying it.
Old 1st July 2022, 16:36   #12679
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
But after that, the TPMS sensor shows the front right tyre as having 37 PSI, though I went again to the bunk nearby and found the reading to be 32 PSI, as in all other tyres.

Is there something I need to reset so that the correct reading comes? I did not fine any reset menu under tyre pressure on the console. All that i could see is a 'Store' button, but I don't know that that does. I even long-pressed it till it said 'OK' , but nothing happened after that.

Any inputs?
It's usually quite simple. After a tyre rotation or puncture, there is reset button (which shows as 'store' in some cases - not sure why and how to change it). Pressing and holding this resets the TPMS.

In your case it is an incorrect reading issue, so it probably needs to be checked. Usually bunk gauges are not calibrated, but in your case the other tyres are fine, so it could be sensor issue.
fiat_tarun is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd July 2022, 12:01   #12680

Quote:
Guys, i recently carried out a wheel-rotation, balancing and alignment with the odo at 9850 kms. This was the first time this was done on my Ecosport. I got it done at a trusted tyre dealer and not at FASS, as they charge a bomb for it.

Any inputs?
A re-programming of the TPMS is required to match the new tyre positions. You can do it yourself - some good videos are available on YouTube - it would be helpful if you're doing it at the tyre dealership itself as you'd have to refill the tyres after the procedure. Alternatively, you can go to FASS and they'll do it for a charge. Here's one video:
Old 5th July 2022, 20:28   #12681

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiterunner958 View Post
I own a 2018 ES Trend Plus tdci. Recently, I am hearing a crumpling noise from the dashboard area immediately after switching off the ignition, coming back from a drive. This noise sounds like crushing an empty plastic bottle. Strange enough, it does not happen always. The car is running fine otherwise. If anybody has experienced this issue please let me know the cause and suggestions to fix it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrAakash View Post
Flap Motor. Take it to the service centre. Happened with my 2018 TDCi Titanium around a year back.. apparently they needed to lubricate something. Hasn't reocurred since then.
Thank you for the input and it looks like the same issue! Sorry for the delay in responding. My ES just got its fourth service completed and I raised this sound issue at the service centre. They mentioned that a "kinematic flap motor" gear behind AC unit was a bit stuck and that caused the weird sound. They re-assembled that part and added some lubrication. I will update the results after driving for some time.
kiterunner958 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th July 2022, 09:53   #12682
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
A re-programming of the TPMS is required to match the new tyre positions. ...
The Ecosport TPMS system has a very simple reset procedure. After a tyre rotation or puncture all you need to do it press 'reset' in the TPMS menu and you are done. The new positions are read automatically and no complicated re-learning process is required.
Old 8th July 2022, 15:16   #12683
BHPian

Guys I'm planning to following upgrades on my 2017 prefacelift D MT with touchscreen infotainment.
1. Headlamps...I'm done driving blind on highways. Philips cutout has helped but not upto a great extend.
2. Cruise control & answering calls.
3. Shocks tuning or changing the bushings. Right now I can feel every pothole inside the cabin.
4. Andriod Auto / apple carplay unit.

Please help / guide with these upgrades.
Vehicle has clocked 72K & I'm based out of Pune.
knightfurry is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th July 2022, 09:27   #12684
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaksjr View Post
Thanks Tarun, that is re-assuring. I shall find out feedback about the local Ford service center here in Hosur. Coming to the car, its a 2017 but the pre-facelift. (April manufactured) So it doesn't get the sync 1 system either, but an 8.0 inch screen with in-built nav but no android auto/apple carplay.

You can see that here https://www.team-bhp.com/news/2017-f...-minor-updates
At the risk of looking rather self-obsessed by quoting my own post, the plan is now set to the get the car to Hosur before Independence day.

The brochure for this particular Ecosport time-period is attached below. Could anyone tell me is there a way to get Android Auto to work on this 8" screen? Or do I need to completely change to an aftermarket AA compatible unit or maybe it is possible to retrofit the unit from the facelift Ecosport?

[ATTACH=ford-ford-brochure435.pdf]2333939[/ATTACH]
Attached Files
File Type: pdf ford-ford-brochure435.pdf (1.61 MB, 403 views)
Old 24th July 2022, 15:08   #12685
BHPian

Dear Bhpians,
My Ecosport Titanium MT December 2019 has run 45000 km, mostly on the highways and ghat sections in South India. The tyres have encountered a couple of punctures and during the last puncture repair the shop guy said the tyres are weak with lot of cracks and advised to change it. The original tyres are company-fitted Goodyear tyres 205/60/R16.
Can our friends suggest to me the best tyres and I'm looking for Less noise, grip, durability and looks? If possible can suggest an upgrade.TIA

Last edited by Organic Chlorin : 24th July 2022 at 15:29. Reason: Better phrase
Old 24th July 2022, 16:35   #12686
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Organic Chlorin View Post
Dear Bhpians,
My Ecosport Titanium MT December 2019 has run 45000 km, mostly on the highways and ghat sections in South India. The tyres have encountered a couple of punctures and during the last puncture repair the shop guy said the tyres are weak with lot of cracks and advised to change it. The original tyres are company-fitted Goodyear tyres 205/60/R16.
Can our friends suggest to me the best tyres and I'm looking for Less noise, grip, durability and looks? If possible can suggest an upgrade.TIA
For 205/60/16 then Yokohama earth 1 or continental UC6. Yokohama Earth is good for Wet grip and durability. Go for continental if you have higher budget.

-Ravi
ravib is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th July 2022, 19:46   #12687
BHPian

Quote:
I got it done at a trusted tyre dealer and not at FASS, as they charge a bomb for it.
Honestly in my experience it costs around 1.5K in Ford Workshop while cheapest you can do aftermarket is 500-1000. However make sure the independent tyre shop is having a good system (like Hunter) and having correct alignment values of your car. For me i saw a totally different chart when I did alignment in an independent tyre store. Next make sure they are giving sticky weights for your alloys and not clamp on weights made for steel rims. Ford will never give you clamp ons while most cheaper alignment shops will attach clamp ons. And there goes your 500rs savings.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Organic Chlorin View Post
Dear Bhpians,
My Ecosport Titanium MT December 2019 has run 45000 km
The original tyres are company-fitted Goodyear tyres 205/60/R16
My MRFs lasted 68K Km. Make sure you are doing a 5 tyre rotation to optimize tyre life. After that changed to Primacy 4ST and they are going good for 30K KM till now. Got them at 6.8K per wheel x 5. More details on the thread below:

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/tyre-...ml#post4624740 (Ford Ecosport : Tyre & wheel upgrade thread)
Samfromindia is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 30th July 2022, 17:32   #12688
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiat_tarun View Post
The Ecosport TPMS system has a very simple reset procedure. After a tyre rotation or puncture all you need to do it press 'reset' in the TPMS menu and you are done. The new positions are read automatically and no complicated re-learning process is required.
There is no 'reset' button for tire pressure. I guess you are referring to the 'Store' button.

Quote:
A re-programming of the TPMS is required to match the new tyre positions. You can do it yourself - some good videos are available on YouTube - it would be helpful if you're doing it at the tyre dealership itself as you'd have to refill the tyres after the procedure. ]
Thanks, but none of those videos worked---i guess those are for US and Europe models. They appear to pertain to automatic gearboxes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samfromindia View Post
Honestly in my experience it costs around 1.5K in Ford Workshop while cheapest you can do aftermarket is 500-1000. However make sure the independent tyre shop is having a good system (like Hunter) and having correct alignment values of your car. For me i saw a totally different chart when I did alignment in an independent tyre store. Next make sure they are giving sticky weights for your alloys and not clamp on weights made for steel rims. Ford will never give you clamp ons while most cheaper alignment shops will attach clamp ons. And there goes your 500rs savings.
I've been visiting the independent tyre shop for more than a decade, and have bought 3 sets of tyres from them for the 3 Fords that I have/ had. They are very accurate, and they used to charge around 600 for the Fiesta and Figo, but after the pandemic they charged me 750 for the Ecosport. FASS charges double. And yes, they give sticky weights. I found only Maruti ASS gives those lousy clamp on weights, going by my past ownership of a WagonR.

However, it appears the fuel bunk's guage was wrong, as i visited FASS today and they said that pressing the 'store' button after WA/WR would suffice. They drained out excess air and it started showing the correct reading. To keep me satisfied, they used that instrument on each of the 4 tyre valves till it beeped, which meant that the sensor was working fine.

They did this free of cost. They also remembered that I'd bought a TPMS sensor for the stepney last month, as I was planning to do a 5-wheel rotation. That cost me around 2800 bucks.

Last edited by vnabhi : 30th July 2022 at 17:35.
Old 30th July 2022, 18:07   #12689

Quote:
Thanks, but none of those videos worked---i guess those are for US and Europe models. They appear to pertain to automatic gearboxes.
Yes, the videos are made on automatics. But, in our case, just use the clutch wherever the video refers to brake (one has to press the brake in case of automatics for starting the engine with PBS, whereas we have to depress the clutch). I've tried and it works. Only then I suggested the video. And since there will be loss of pressure while doing it, I suggested to do it near or at a tyre shop where you can refill air.

Quote:
I've been visiting the independent tyre shop for more than a decade, and have bought 3 sets of tyres from them for the 3 Fords that I have/ had. They are very accurate, and they used to charge around 600 for the Fiesta and Figo, but after the pandemic they charged me 750 for the Ecosport. FASS charges double. And yes, they give sticky weights. I found only Maruti ASS gives those lousy clamp on weights, going by my past ownership of a WagonR.

However, it appears the fuel bunk's guage was wrong, as i visited FASS today and they said that pressing the 'store' button after WA/WR would suffice. They drained out excess air and it started showing the correct reading. To keep me satisfied, they used that instrument on each of the 4 tyre valves till it beeped, which meant that the sensor was working fine.

They did this free of cost. They also remembered that I'd bought a TPMS sensor for the stepney last month, as I was planning to do a 5-wheel rotation. That cost me around 2800 bucks.
Fuel Bunk Gauges are always wrong - they're calibrated to fill about 3-4 PSI more than what is set. I've checked this in multiple bunks and it is always so. Probably it is deliberately done to ensure that the tyre pressure is around recommended values for average time run considering how frequently the common driver goes for a tyre pressure check.

Pressing the "STORE" button DOES NOT SUFFICE if you've rotated the tyres and a reprogramming is ABSOLUTELY NECESSARY. The TPMS has no intelligence to detect automatically which sensor is in which wheel, and where the wheels have been moved to, unless specifically programmed.

I have purchased a 5th sensor for the stepney from FASS, got it fitted by the FASS and got the TPMS reprogrammed such that if the stepney goes into one of the working wheels, then the TPMS replaces the sleeping sensor with the new sensor. But when I went for tyre rotation the next time, reprogramming with the method shown in the video (using clutch in place of brake) was performed.

I am quite sure that the positions of sensors is different from the positions of readings being shown on TPMS, if what you describe is all that has been done. You can check by deflating any one of the tyres that have moved during rotation and seeing where in the TPMS the deflation is shown. Or, the technician at the tyre shop is much more intelligent than what we expect, knew the method already, and performed it without you noticing!
Old 1st August 2022, 11:07   #12690
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
There is no 'reset' button for tire pressure. I guess you are referring to the 'Store' button.

My 2019 S has the 'reset' button which shows as 'store' in your car. I have no idea why this change was made.

Quote:
Pressing the "STORE" button DOES NOT SUFFICE if you've rotated the tyres and a reprogramming is ABSOLUTELY NECESSARY. The TPMS has no intelligence to detect automatically which sensor is in which wheel, and where the wheels have been moved to, unless specifically programmed.

This was true for the 1st batch of cars, but from 2019 the sensors auto calibrate location after a reset/store. This is verified in my car over the past 4 years. I rotate my tyres every 7-10k km and have never re-programmed the TPMS. I have a 12V compressor which I use to top up air whenever required during which I keep the TPMS menu on and each tyre responds as per the correct location.

I am not sure how it locates position but it works well and pressing reset / store is more than enough. Of course I have not added a TPMS to my spare and hence do not know how this will change the logic.

Last edited by fiat_tarun : 1st August 2022 at 11:09.
fiat_tarun is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks