Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 15th October 2014, 08:22   #1051
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Tata Zest : Official Review

@isandy, please post relevant part of the manual that says so ..

Quote:
isandy :

Only Synthetic oils are recommended by Tata for both Revotron and QJD and these will only be used. Also Oil change is not part of 1st service as per service manual, so if you ask for a change, you will be charged. It is scheduled to be replaced at 15k intervals.
condor is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 15th October 2014, 09:31   #1052
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by isandy View Post
Only Synthetic oils are recommended by Tata for both Revotron and QJD and these will only be used.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reinhard View Post
Can that simply be a marketing move?
Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
@isandy, please post relevant part of the manual that says so ..
This is what the Zest manual says:

Tata Zest : Official Review-oil.jpg

Full manual available in PDF format at http://service.tatamotors.com/content/owners-manual

Cheers,
Vikram

Last edited by comfortablynumb : 15th October 2014 at 09:36.
comfortablynumb is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 15th October 2014, 11:46   #1053
BHPian

Quote:
Can that simply be a marketing move? Not just in this case I mean, other vendors do the same too. Revotron ok, at least a new engine (albeit on the same 1.2 indica mpfi block) but Quadrajet? The same engine in my vista runs with mineral oil. Honestly, I don't think the synthetics are worth the price difference... Recommendations is fine. I always feel the recommendation for synthetic is a part of tie up with the oil brands.
Sorry I am not aware but what is the service cap for vista 10 k or 15 k ? I think using synthetic may be related to this and also it may be related (sorry wild guess only since I don't have technical knowledge of engines) TC. Both are differnt in vista and Manza. If in Manza it's allowed to use mineral oil then I think it shd be in Zest as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by comfortablynumb View Post
This is what the Zest manual says:

Attachment 1299032

Full manual available in PDF format at http://service.tatamotors.com/content/owners-manual

Cheers,
Vikram
SO these means , mineral oil cant be used else warranty will be over
Old 15th October 2014, 13:01   #1054
RSR
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Can that simply be a marketing move? Not just in this case I mean, other vendors do the same too. Revotron ok, at least a new engine (albeit on the same 1.2 indica mpfi block) but Quadrajet? The same engine in my vista runs with mineral oil. Honestly, I don't think the synthetics are worth the price difference... Recommendations is fine. I always feel the recommendation for synthetic is a part of tie up with the oil brands.
I agree that fully synthetic oils may not be worth the huge price difference for engines that power mainstream cars.

I think the recommendation to use fully synthetic engine oils only is both because of a tie-up with oil brands (& ensuring better revenue for TASS, of course) and a means of justifying a 15k km service interval. The manufacturers who have a 15k km or 1 year oil change interval for their cars do use only fully synthetic oils. Tata has placed the Zest in that group. Those with a 10k km or 1 year oil change interval generally use mineral oils, or semi-synthetic ones at the most.

During one free service, Concorde in Chennai used fully synthetic oil (from Mobil) in my earlier Indica 1.2 Xeta, which has the same base engine as the Zest petrol. To be honest, apart from the bill that was almost four times higher (being a free service), I could not observe any difference in using fully synthetic oil, at least as far as the Xeta was concerned.

Last edited by RSR : 15th October 2014 at 13:04.
RSR is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th October 2014, 14:33   #1055

Got my Blue XT delivered on 11th Oct from Concorde Motors Bangalore and have run around 200 kms in the city
Initial impression is wow, i didn't expect this quality from TATA, best thing i like is power steering .
4 people have stopped on road and enquired about the car, they mentioned it looks awesome on road and they are planning to buy
anilkumarsh is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 15th October 2014, 14:51   #1056
Senior - BHPian

Congrats anilkumarsh!
Zest group picture
pic source: Pandit Auto
Attached Thumbnails
Tata Zest : Official Review-zest1.jpg  

Tata Zest : Official Review-zest2.jpg  

Latheesh is online now   (6) Thanks
Old 15th October 2014, 15:11   #1057
BHPian

Well since we have a good number of zests running g on the road we can now look for mods and upgrades.

Why don't we all list the upgrades that we plan to do on the vehicle?

Mine are below:

1. First and foremost, 1500wrms woofers go into the boot.
2. Plan to power the speakers with an amp (possible?/worth it?)
3. Tight bucket fit seat covers
4. HIDs both on lower and high beams as well as fog lamps
5. Gloss black/matte red roof (wrap or paint) and orvms
6. 5th alloy and all the alloys get a powder coat
Old 15th October 2014, 15:14   #1058
Senior - BHPian

I was searching for ownership review for Revotron and diesel but didn't find any. Thought many people have taken delivery here. So, kindly post your ownership threads.
harry10 is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 15th October 2014, 15:23   #1059
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RSR View Post
I think the recommendation to use fully synthetic engine oils only is both because of a tie-up with oil brands (& ensuring better revenue for TASS, of course) and a means of justifying a 15k km service interval. The manufacturers who have a 15k km or 1 year oil change interval for their cars do use only fully synthetic oils. Tata has placed the Zest in that group. Those with a 10k km or 1 year oil change interval generally use mineral oils, or semi-synthetic ones at the most.
I asked SA about changing to mineral oil for run in period, but he was telling that may not be allowed as Revotron engine is designed to work with prescribed oil, and he also told me there is no need for initial oil change after 1000 km. Guru's can enlighten here as I am not very sure if what he told is true.

Does anyone know if Dupont Tyvek cover for Zest is available, if so please share the details including cost.
Old 15th October 2014, 15:44   #1060
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunder View Post
Sorry I am not aware but what is the service cap for vista 10 k or 15 k ? I think using synthetic may be related to this and also it may be related (sorry wild guess only since I don't have technical knowledge of engines) TC. Both are differnt in vista and Manza. If in Manza it's allowed to use mineral oil then I think it shd be in Zest as well.

SO these means , mineral oil cant be used else warranty will be over
IIRC, Manza has a Synthetic recommendation. However, the engines are same in both. Only the Turbo is FG in Vista & VG in Manza. I don't expect the thermal properties to vary so much in the two configurations that it warrants the use of a synthetic oil.
Also, I think Maruti fills synthetic oil in the 75PS DDiS in Swift / DZire (owners may correct please). Thats the same engine as Vista anyway. So no technical reason for synthetic oil in my opinion.

It's worth noting that Vista also does cab duty a lot (in Quadrajet configuration as well along with the TDi). And almost 4 times higher oil cost, would mean a lot of service customers visiting the Service Manager's glass cabin with battering rams!

I don't remember the service cap for Vista. I change my oil at around 8k kms regardless (so earlier than an year) & at about 935rs. for 3.2 liters inclusive of taxes, the Castrol diesel mineral oil does its job pretty well.

Quote:
I agree that fully synthetic oils may not be worth the huge price difference for engines that power mainstream cars.

The thing is, in a majority of cars, the 1year duration is what warrants the oil change. It makes no difference even if the mileage cap is at 1 billion kms. Emotionally we'll change the oil after 1 year max, no matter what the running has been.

Quote:
During one free service, Concorde in Chennai used fully synthetic oil (from Mobil) in my earlier Indica 1.2 Xeta, which has the same base engine as the Zest petrol. To be honest, apart from the bill that was almost four times higher (being a free service), I could not observe any difference in using fully synthetic oil, at least as far as the Xeta was concerned.
How true indeed. I don't see a reason why there will actually be a difference in the actual user experience..

Quote:
Originally Posted by isandy View Post
I asked SA about changing to mineral oil for run in period, but he was telling that may not be allowed as Revotron engine is designed to work with prescribed oil, and he also told me there is no need for initial oil change after 1000 km. Guru's can enlighten here as I am not very sure if what he told is true.
A simple and useful advise - never buy what the SA tells. They often don't know much about cars.

Anyway, won't drag on this topic here, as the mods will frown . So we'll check about the mineral vs. synthetic oil in the technical threads.

Last edited by Reinhard : 15th October 2014 at 16:02.
Reinhard is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th October 2014, 23:16   #1061
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anilkumarsh View Post
Got my Blue XT delivered on 11th Oct from Concorde Motors Bangalore and have run around 200 kms in the city
Initial impression is wow, i didn't expect this quality from TATA, best thing i like is power steering .
4 people have stopped on road and enquired about the car, they mentioned it looks awesome on road and they are planning to buy
Same with me in Delhi. Many peoples looks back and admire the car. Today I was in Kashmiri Gate whole sale market to get seat cover which I ordered for stitching (Ready mate still not available) and at least 10 people came and enquired about cost, feature. Even some were surprised that it's a TATA car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bullet_chacha View Post
Well since we have a good number of zests running g on the road we can now look for mods and upgrades.

Why don't we all list the upgrades that we plan to do on the vehicle?

Mine are below:

1. First and foremost, 1500wrms woofers go into the boot.
2. Plan to power the speakers with an amp (possible?/worth it?)
3. Tight bucket fit seat covers
4. HIDs both on lower and high beams as well as fog lamps
5. Gloss black/matte red roof (wrap or paint) and orvms
6. 5th alloy and all the alloys get a powder coat
Can we fix HID without risking warranty and amc ?

Also, where in delhi we can get good powder coating on alloys? I want it black , it will look awesome.

I am Planning:
  1. HID
  2. if possible , I would like to for white light ring in headlight which is available in XT but not in my XMS. It looks too impressive
  3. Good quality sill plates
  4. Door Visor
  5. Side Biding
thunder is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th October 2014, 02:02   #1062
BHPian

Can someone see it? Pic taken after resetting the average
Attached Thumbnails
Tata Zest : Official Review-img_20141015_205905.jpg  

Old 16th October 2014, 13:22   #1063
Team-BHP Support

Tata Motors has started testing the Zest petrol with an automated manual transmission.

Link to Team-BHP News Article
Aditya is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th October 2014, 13:49   #1064
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bullet_chacha View Post
Can someone see it? Pic taken after resetting the average
Is that 25.1 kmpl? Did you do anything intentionally to achieve it? How many KMs did you drive before taking this pic in this trip?
Old 16th October 2014, 14:26   #1065
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by itsashishsharma View Post
Is that 25.1 kmpl? Did you do anything intentionally to achieve it? How many KMs did you drive before taking this pic in this trip?
Hahaha. If you see closely, it was driven only 4 km after the reset on an empty road. Nothing specific was done...only the revs were kept low

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks