Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 8th March 2015, 20:23   #526

Re: Hyundai Elite i20 : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandroidz80 View Post
Can any of the elite i20 owners who has replaced the stock speakers on the doors tell me what size are the right fit for the front and the rear doors? Would this be 5 1/4th or 6 1/2 ?

Since the tweeters are placed separately, Which component series would fit this set up if I wanted to replace all the door speakers and tweeters. Any advice would be appreciated
Hi pal, I am curious to know if you would like to void warranty of the vehicle by doing so, instead, you may visit your nearest JBL showroom and give their carstage a while. Its woth the money, plug n play, and doesnt void warranty.
Old 8th March 2015, 21:56   #527

Hi Pal, I don't think you wanna lose your warranty by doing such an installation, alternatively, JBL's Carstage must be worth your while. Give it a try. its plug and play and does not void your warranty.

Happy Motoring!
Serendipity_05 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th March 2015, 23:38   #528
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandroidz80 View Post
Can any of the elite i20 owners who has replaced the stock speakers on the doors tell me what size are the right fit for the front and the rear doors? Would this be 5 1/4th or 6 1/2 ?

Since the tweeters are placed separately, Which component series would fit this set up if I wanted to replace all the door speakers and tweeters. Any advice would be appreciated
I had this done on my I20, I think they were 6.5 if I am not mistaken but I might be wrong. Give Focals a shot, they're excellent. I got components in the front and coaxials at the back on a wooden tray. However, you wont find the upgrade significant unless you get amps in place. Now here is the tricky part. You would need a high-lo converter to run amps off the stock headunit. Try the req5, its excellent.

I did the above with 2 amps, 1 sub, the speakers and an req5 without voiding warranty because I ensured that no wires were cut. In fact, I added additional hi gauge wiring and left the stock speaker wiring as is.

Get a good installer and you wont need to worry. Good luck!
Zahir is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th March 2015, 02:48   #529
BHPian

Hello everyone,

My brand new Elite i20 Asta CRDI (red passion) is due for delivery coming friday.

I have a few queries, please help me with some explanation on the same:

1. The default tyres are 195/55/r16 spec. Should the tyres be changed to some other manufacturer or the default ones are ok? If they should be changed, which brand or manufacturer you recommend?

2. Would you recommend up-sizing the tyres' width to '205'/55/r16 tyres?

3. Apart from sun visors, foot mats, 'sparco' antenna, new projector headlights from genome (with 1yr warranty), mud flaps, seat covers, is there any other accessory that this new car warrants?

4. Underbody rust protection is a must?

5. Can I get the alloy wheels that come default from the factory blackened or powder coated to black?

6. How can I enable the auto door lock function (from Gscan)? Did anyone of you succeed in getting it activated in or around Mumbai/Navi Mumbai/Thane?

7. How much did it cost you for the 3rd and 4th year combined extended warranty package for diesel?

8. How's the boot when compared to that of Figo's 295 litres? I know it's 285 litres, but is it as practical to use as was of the Figo? (My previous car was a figo, which turned out to be a lemon)

9. Is there a learning curve to adapt to the driving dynamics of the i20? Please note from past 5 years I had been driving a ford figo until it was sold off last week. I did take the test drive of elite i20 number of times, but they were too short for me to make any clear judgement

10. How would you rate the car on the scale of 1-10?

11. Is the steering that bad? Or you get a hang of it as time passes?

12. Any thing that you'd want me to be cautious about the car?

Last edited by Dinesh_Malhotra : 9th March 2015 at 02:55.
Old 9th March 2015, 23:48   #530
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dinesh_Malhotra View Post
Hello everyone,

My brand new Elite i20 Asta CRDI (red passion) is due for delivery coming friday.

1. The default tyres are 195/55/r16 spec. Should the tyres be changed to some other manufacturer or the default ones are ok? If they should be changed, which brand or manufacturer you recommend?

3. Apart from sun visors, foot mats, 'sparco' antenna, new projector headlights from genome (with 1yr warranty), mud flaps, seat covers, is there any other accessory that this new car warrants?

4. Underbody rust protection is a must?

5. Can I get the alloy wheels that come default from the factory blackened or powder coated to black?

6. How can I enable the auto door lock function (from Gscan)? Did anyone of you succeed in getting it activated in or around Mumbai/Navi Mumbai/Thane?

7. How much did it cost you for the 3rd and 4th year combined extended warranty package for diesel?

8. How's the boot when compared to that of Figo's 295 litres? I know it's 285 litres, but is it as practical to use as was of the Figo? (My previous car was a figo, which turned out to be a lemon)

9. Is there a learning curve to adapt to the driving dynamics of the i20? Please note from past 5 years I had been driving a ford figo until it was sold off last week. I did take the test drive of elite i20 number of times, but they were too short for me to make any clear judgement

11. Is the steering that bad? Or you get a hang of it as time passes?

Guys any update on this, please? I am a little short on time.
Old 10th March 2015, 07:16   #531
BHPian

Quote:
Guys any update on this, please? I am a little short on time.
Hi Dinesh, Let me try to answer your queries as much as I can

On your question about the tyres, I had checked with the dealer and insisted my car should come with either Bridgestone or Goodyear and I got Goodyears on my Asta. I have no complaints on these tyres so far (Done about 7k kms so far)

The under body rust protection from 3M is something I would recommend as it comes with a 10 year warranty and several inspections.

Yes the wheels can be blackened and that is your preference. I wanted to do the same and have ordered plastic dip as spray cans from the US which would be reaching me shortly. I will keep you posted on this one

Enabling the auto door lock function has not be very successful so far and I hope Hyundai does something about this. Just doesn't make sense to me why they haven't.

As for the steering of the car I think this one is a personal preference. I had a swift before I got my Elite i20 and I agree that the steering may not be as engaging to the driver as was the swift. But for someone like this who drives about 30 kms in traffic on a daily basis this car has been pretty easy and comfortable to drive. On the highways at higher speed I do find the steering tightening quite a bit to give you that additional feedback needed.

Hope I was able to answer some of your questions and congrats in advance on your Elite i20
sandroidz80 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th March 2015, 10:29   #532
BHPian

Quote:
Hello everyone,

First of all, Congratulations!
Considering the power output of the engine, I think any tyre in 195/55R16 would be OK. Mine came with Goodyear Assurance and they seem fine.

Quote:
To put it in context Octavia 1.8TSI comes with 205/55R16 and this 1.4CRDi is nowhere near that. Even european i20 offers a maximum of 195/55R16. Also, I tried measuring the clearances at various points where the 205 section might scrape and it seems it might just scrape or might not, only putting on one will tell. I have postponed this test until I go for replacement. Thought the advantage of 205/55R16 is that it is very common tyre spec and a lot of premium options are available.

Quote:
Scuff Plates?! The list is endless.
Disclaimer: Apart from mud flaps and foot mats, my car doesn't have any other accessories.

Quote:
I think after the igen i20, this functionality is not available for activation even from Gscan.

Quote:
http://www.customercare.hyundai.co.i...dWarranty.aspx

Quote:
The usual PDI checklist.
And cars that come out of showroom usually have tyres inflated upto 50 psi. Get that checked and bring it down to the recommended levels of 33(F) and 29/33(R).
sidhu_hs is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th March 2015, 11:36   #533
BHPian

Quote:
Hello everyone,

I have a few queries, please help me with some explanation on the same:.
Congrats!

10. I rate it at 9/10

11. Its not bad at all, its a neutral steering setup.

12. Nothing at the moment except the usual run-in & stuff mentioned in the owner's manual.

1 & 2 & 5. This is purely subjective. Stock tyres/ alloys & size are good enough IMO.

3. Again subjective. I only have the floor mats as an add-on. Didn't take the mud-flaps either (even though it was free). Would suggest you spend a month with the car and then look at accessories.

4. Recommended even though the company claims to have a coat to protect from rust.

6. No success this side of the world.

7. AFAIK, only 3rd year extended warranty is available from Hyundai for Elite CRDI (unless it was introduced in the last 20 days.). Cost in B'lore is around 11K.

8. The boot is practical and has some nifty hooks etc, in case you wish to use a net.

9. Again subjective. There definitely is a learning curve since the dynamics of both the cars are different. But then I guess this is with all new cars.

Wish you many happy miles with the car!
vinjosep is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th March 2015, 22:11   #534

Quote:

7. I paid Rs. 6019 for 3rd year extended warranty + floor mat + mud flaps

10. Rating 8/10 (I have petrol i20 which is under powered compared to diesel. 1 point less for that)

12. Real windscreen an IRVM are small. Be careful about the blind spot created. I missed two wheeler behind my car completely on a couple of occasions.
Heliast is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th March 2015, 02:34   #535
BHPian

Thank you for the replies. I am going to stick with your suggestions and would only do mods if they are extremely necessary, at least for the first six months.

My car was invoiced on 3rd March 2015 but it went for registration late on 7th March 2015. I am hoping for the delivery to happen by 16th March 2015 (too long, no?)

Will keep you all posted about the delivery process and might start ownership thread of my own.

PS:
If anyone of you is able to activate auto-doorlock function via any means, do update!
Old 11th March 2015, 20:08   #536
BHPian

Hi Dinesh, Congratulations from a prospective i20 owner. Can you please confirm the waiting time for your car. Also which showroom have you booked it from? Lastly are you taking Insurance from the showroom or they are permitting you to take it from outside?
Old 11th March 2015, 22:01   #537
BHPian

Forum members

Any information about when 118 bhp tgdi petrol engine will be fitted to I 20 in india ?
Old 11th March 2015, 22:27   #538
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maverick1977 View Post
Hi Dinesh, Congratulations from a prospective i20 owner. Can you please confirm the waiting time for your car. Also which showroom have you booked it from? Lastly are you taking Insurance from the showroom or they are permitting you to take it from outside?
Hi Maverick,

The usual waiting period was between 4-5 months for Elite i20 1.4 CRDi Asta model.

Luckily, I got commitment from 'one' of the many dealers located in Mumbai & Navi Mumbai for delivery within 30 days from booking. I was amused to hear the sales advisor saying this but (considering everyone else wanting 90-150 days for delivery), nevertheless thought of giving her a chance. Guess what? I am getting the car tomorrow at 3.00pm.

The dealer is Shreenath Hyundai (notoriously mentioned in all internet based reviews) located in Andheri, Mumbai. Surprisingly they did keep their word in my case and the support has been exemplary until today. For the delivery procedure, I can only comment tomorrow...

I took insurance from outside. My zero depreciation policy from TATA AIG with IDV value of 7.5 lakh rupees costed me Rs 19,100/- for the yearly premium. The dealer had the normal insurance for offer at Rs 27,000/- and zero-dep at Rs 33,000/-. I saved cool Rs 14,000/-

Regards
Dinesh Malhotra
Dinesh_Malhotra is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th March 2015, 12:50   #539
BHPian

Quote:
Hi Maverick,

The usual waiting period was between 4-5 months for Elite i20 1.4 CRDi Asta model.

Luckily, I got commitment from 'one' of the many dealers located in Mumbai & Navi Mumbai for delivery within 30 days from booking. I was amused to hear the sales advisor saying this but (considering everyone else wanting 90-150 days for delivery), nevertheless thought of giving her a chance. Guess what? I am getting the car tomorrow at 3.00pm.

The dealer is Shreenath Hyundai (notoriously mentioned in all internet based reviews) located in Andheri, Mumbai. Surprisingly they did keep their word in my case and the support has been exemplary until today. For the delivery procedure, I can only comment tomorrow...

I took insurance from outside. My zero depreciation policy from TATA AIG with IDV value of 7.5 lakh rupees costed me Rs 19,100/- for the yearly premium. The dealer had the normal insurance for offer at Rs 27,000/- and zero-dep at Rs 33,000/-. I saved cool Rs 14,000/-

Regards
Dinesh Malhotra
Congratulations Man!

As for the delivery in 30 days, what color have you ordered? Here in Pune, every dealer is saying 90+ days for I20 delivery unless is Era/Magna model.

I am hoping that the launch of I20 Active removes some burden from I20 orders.

Safe Driving!
Old 17th March 2015, 02:34   #540
BHPian

Hi everyone,

Just to keep you guys updated I am mentioning that I received my car (elite i20 CRDi Asta - Red Passion) on 12th March 2015.

Initial impressions of the car are good and I am more than enjoying the plushness of such a beautiful cabin manufactured by Hyundai.

I have decided not to go for projector headlamps now, until I am able to source and fit (successfully that is) the ones that come with Hyundai i20 2015 active model. They are exactly like the euro spec model.

My right door beading was found to be torn during delivery and also there was a deep hairline scratch on the rear bumper. I am getting the full right door beading replaced and have deliberately decided to not let the workshop guys tinker with the factory paint on the rear bumper (yes, I am ignoring the scratch).

I find rattle sound (kattak.. kattak) from right rear side of the dicky while travelling on uneven surfaces. Also, I can hear a chan chan chan sound from the front right door trim, will sort it during the 1st service.

One intermittent issue I faced and could be a security hazard is:

For the first two days the wiper used to stop working no matter how much I tried. Only solution was to restart car two to three time to get into action. Post that, I am deliberately trying to recreate the scenario but, now the wipers work properly. I have videographed the incident, should I force hyundai for a replacement of the wiper module? Or just inform them of this issue and just wait for it to happen the very day I need them to be working?

Btw, I have also applied 3M antirust coating with 5yrs warranty. My ownership thread for Gayatri v02 is coming up soon (v01 was the figo and Mom calls it by that name).

Another thing that I felt is the low power surge. I am not saying that this car can't go fast but, the acceleration is pretty poor. Turbo pulls in almost with no surge. Also on twist and turns, it feels like an airplane, totally disconnected with what the tyres are going through. What are your experience when it comes to driving this machine? Please share.

PS: I am happy with the car. I am happy that I bought a hyundai after painfully going through the woes of owning a ford. But, when you compare it to the Figo, it's plush, but driving it doesn't make u feel peppy instead it calms you down. For a hatch that looks so hot, I was expecting much more fire in her belly...

Last edited by Dinesh_Malhotra : 17th March 2015 at 02:55.
Dinesh_Malhotra is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks