Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 25th February 2015, 21:08   #511
BHPian

Re: Hyundai Elite i20 : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by S2!!! View Post
The problem is well sorted in the Grand i10 / Xcent wherein if the car is on and you step outside the cabin with the key in your pocket, a distinct audible warning can be heard on the outside and inside for a few seconds + an indication of the key-out on the instrument cluster. Unfortunately, this doesn't seem to feature in the Elite i20.
Elite i20 Asta most definitely has this feature
Bubby is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 25th February 2015, 21:31   #512
BHPian

Quote:
The problem is well sorted in the Grand i10 / Xcent wherein if the car is on and you step outside the cabin with the key in your pocket, a distinct audible warning can be heard on the outside and inside for a few seconds + an indication of the key-out on the instrument cluster. Unfortunately, this doesn't seem to feature in the Elite i20.
This is indeed available in Elite i20 as well.

But never tried driving without the key inside nor planning to either for obvious reasons. Maybe some can try in a test drive car.....
vinjosep is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th February 2015, 22:00   #513

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heliast View Post
Color - Stardust (Gray).
Seems logical. Just have to ensure that engine is stopped while getting out of car even for a second.

Fellow elite i20 owners, can you confirm if this behavior is universal or I am the unlucky one?
Don't worry; this behavior is applicable to all Elite i20s (Sports O and Asta) !!
kanishkster is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th February 2015, 01:05   #514
BHPian

Sorry if I am going . But I don't think there is anything wrong with the way the system is working.

- The car does not start when the key is OUTSIDE the car - this makes sure the car will start ONLY when the key is inside the car, very similar to traditional system.

- When the key is inside also, the car will not start if clutch is not pressed - this prevents accidental starting by kids, better than the traditional system.

- When the engine is ON and the key goes out of the car, the car gives the owner in a very effective warnings, both audio and visual. This is also better than traditional system. Reason - Traditionally in this case one will leave the key inside the car and a thief can easily steal the car WITH the keys and he can keep them forever. With the electronics, if the thief switches off the car or car stalls, he can do nothing with the car. Very high probability of the thief being caught red-handed.

- What if the smart-key battery is down or if the button goes bust? Not sure about Hyundai, but many cars have the feature where the smart key is brought touching the button and depressing the brake / clutch will start the car.

Lastly, why would you get out of the car with the engine ON? Whatever be the urgency, how much ever short the duration is, if you step out of the car especially if no one is inside the car - switch off the engine and lock the car.
Old 26th February 2015, 01:36   #515
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vigkey View Post
What if the smart-key battery is down or if the button goes bust? Not sure about Hyundai, but many cars have the feature where the smart key is brought touching the button and depressing the brake / clutch will start the car.

Elite i20 has this too. It's mentioned in the owner's manual. I think all of the above are standard features of a start stop system.
Old 26th February 2015, 08:03   #516
Senior - BHPian

The number of Asta at office is going up each day, that too all red ones. People are happily ditching 4m sedans for a better hatch. Good to see that.

I don't like how Hyundai has used the horn to double up as alarm for locking/ unlocking the car. Can this be disabled?
deetjohn is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th February 2015, 08:36   #517
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by deetjohn View Post

I don't like how Hyundai has used the horn to double up as alarm for locking/ unlocking the car. Can this be disabled?
This is American way. You should be able to disable this feature. Either from remote by pressing 2 keys or through some MID programming.
Vid6639 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th February 2015, 09:37   #518

TeamBHP does have a good article on decoding VIN; but for my Elite i20 I was looking for more detailed information.
Following link really helped:
http://www.vindecoderz.com/EN/Hyundai
Try it out !!
Not sure if it is equally accurate for other manufacturers !!
kanishkster is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th February 2015, 09:38   #519
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The number of Asta at office is going up each day, that too all red ones. People are happily ditching 4m sedans for a better hatch. Good to see that.

Same experience here. Almost every week, I see a new Asta, mostly red, in the parking of our office.

The horn doubling up as alarm for lock-unlock has been there in all VW cars too, since day one. So nothing new.
Old 26th February 2015, 10:16   #520
Senior - BHPian

Re: Other Points

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubby View Post
Elite i20 Asta most definitely has this feature
Quote:
Originally Posted by vinjosep View Post
This is indeed available in Elite i20 as well.
But never tried driving without the key inside nor planning to either for obvious reasons. Maybe some can try in a test drive car.....
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heliast View Post
Audible warning and error display are present in elite i20 but driver can drive the car even with these warnings on.

Since you guys already own an Elite i20, I'll take your word on that. However, like mentioned below, we did test this feature out and only a warning message appeared on the MID; no audible reminder.

Quote:
Other Points:
• If you leave the car turned on and walk away with the smart key (eg: while handing over the car to a hotel valet), there is no beeping reminder like the Grand i10. Only a warning message appears on the MID.

Last edited by S2!!! : 26th February 2015 at 10:19.
Old 26th February 2015, 12:25   #521
BHPian

If you walk away with the key and the engine is running, there is a loud (quite irritating actually) beep which is quite audible. Have done this quite a few times when the wife is in the car and I need to pop into a shop or something, then I come back and hand over the key fob to the wife.
toiingg is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th February 2015, 17:22   #522
Distinguished - BHPian

This is what happens when technologies used in far more expensive cars are shoehorned into cheaper ones. Although one cannot contest that keyless entry is truly convenient as you can just open the doors and drive away instead of fiddling with the key, as I read some stuff on keyless entry I feel there is more to it that consumers should be aware of.

BMW's for example were among the first to utilize this technology. Earlier models to my knowledge had a dedicated slot to hold the key fob which is absolutely essential if its keyless start (in my view). Subsequent models did not come with the slot which is bad as the driver can walk out key in pocket with the car running. Still its far more better programmed as it doesn't need a button on the handle, just pull and it opens, locking it requires you to only press finger on top of the handle in an area (in my test drive I've not tried this, I used the remote to lock so I'm not sure if all indian Bimmers have that touch-lock). Also the boot lock has a valet-switch which is inside the glovebox which when enabled would disconnect the boot from the central locking completely. The glovebox can then be locked with the metal key.

Hence Hyundai has only done a half-baked job by not providing enough safety overrides in a technology which can be easily outwitted. Its also essential that all windows roll up automatically if need be when the car is locked. ORVM's can be done manually. The only way to maintain absolute safety now is to just walk into the car & use the manual central locks without fail, & remembering to switch off the engine when exiting. As far as a keyfob battery-down situation is concerned, I think all you have to do is push the start button with the keyfob itself.

Last edited by dark.knight : 26th February 2015 at 17:30.
Old 26th February 2015, 18:37   #523
BHPian

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vid6639 View Post
This is American way. You should be able to disable this feature. Either from remote by pressing 2 keys or through some MID programming.
Nope, at least I could not find a way to disable the beep while locking/ unlocking. So far the user manual also did not throw up any suggestions in this direction.

Only solution I have as of today is to use the smart sensor to lock/ unlock. But then, that means walking all the way to the driver's side

Quote:
Since you guys already own an Elite i20, I'll take your word on that. However, like mentioned below, we did test this feature out and only a warning message appeared on the MID; no audible reminder.
Quote:
Originally Posted by toiingg View Post
If you walk away with the key and the engine is running, there is a loud (quite irritating actually) beep which is quite audible. Have done this quite a few times when the wife is in the car and I need to pop into a shop or something, then I come back and hand over the key fob to the wife.
Toiingg, been there and done that, still continue to as well wherein I forget I have the key with me So yes, for sure there is an audible beep. However, the beep lasts only for a few seconds after which you are left with just the flashing reminder on the MID. Probably HMIL did take note of the feedback from the press review. After all, adding/ deleting such a feature is not that big an effort for them especially when they are using common modules across the family.

Last edited by vinjosep : 26th February 2015 at 18:58.
vinjosep is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd March 2015, 03:18   #524
RSR
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajay_satpute View Post
Same experience here. Almost every week, I see a new Asta, mostly red, in the parking of our office.
Elite i20 crosses the 10,000 units a month sales mark again with 10,264 cars being dispatched to dealers across the country in February 2015.

It's the top performer for Hyundai India, bringing in more customers than even the Grand i10 or Eon.

While they've discovered a winning formula with the Elite i20, they can build on it further. The upcoming i20 Active may bring in some additional numbers, but there are also other avenues which they should explore - like an Asta(O) variant (6 airbags plus other goodies), an automatic petrol, a turbo-petrol engine (1.0 Kappa T-GDI) and perhaps even a diesel automatic.

I would personally love the European 3-door coupé version with 180 mm GC, a powerful petrol engine and a 6-speed torque converter auto 'box.

Hyundai Elite i20 : Official Review-image.jpg

Last edited by RSR : 3rd March 2015 at 03:31.
RSR is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 7th March 2015, 15:23   #525
BHPian

Can any of the elite i20 owners who has replaced the stock speakers on the doors tell me what size are the right fit for the front and the rear doors? Would this be 5 1/4th or 6 1/2 ?

Since the tweeters are placed separately, Which component series would fit this set up if I wanted to replace all the door speakers and tweeters. Any advice would be appreciated

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks