Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 13th May 2016, 21:39   #4471
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Maruti S-Cross : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Naren View Post
Bad News

A birdie shared this info with me. When Maruti service centre guys went to factory for Vitara Brezza training, they got information that Maruti won't import any new 1.6 engines. Production would be eventually stopped after stocks are exhausted. He also said Maruti might localise this engine or develop their own engine for future models. I can't say how authentic this information is.
Yesterday I was talking to one of my seniors who is in R&D. He also said that plans are there to stop imports of this engine. Talks are going on at managerial level for localising this engine/ completely stopping the 1.6L variant.

He also gave me an info that inhouse 1.5L petrol engine is almost ready, and is based on the existing 1.4K series motor. This engine will be launched by this year end, and if his guess is to be believed, the Ciaz will be the 1st one to get this 1.5L petrol engine, followed by Brezza and Ertiga.

Secondly, the 1.5L diesel is still sometime away, and is likely to debut on the 2018 Ertiga.

Regards,
Shashi
Leoshashi is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 13th May 2016, 21:51   #4472
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Bad News
Production would be eventually stopped after stocks are exhausted. He also said Maruti might localise this engine or develop their own engine for future models. I can't say how authentic this information is.
The information on the 1.6L engine was given in Dec -15 by the Service Manager here. The 1.6 L diesel is being localized and is likely to be seen in the upcoming Vitara. This will be sold through Nexa and will be an offering at a premium price. Maruti Suzuki is not expecting great volumes for these.

Regarding Petrol, S Cross will get the new engine first. The petrol S Cross / Vitara Brezza are also likely to get AT and will be exported to petrol dominant markets (Indonesia) too.

Last edited by volkman10 : 13th May 2016 at 21:56.
volkman10 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th May 2016, 21:59   #4473
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leoshashi View Post
Yesterday I was talking to one of my seniors who is in R&D. He also said that plans are there to stop imports of this engine. Talks are going on at managerial level for localising this engine/ completely stopping the 1.6L variant.

He also gave me an info that inhouse 1.5L petrol engine is almost ready, and is based on the existing 1.4K series motor. This engine will be launched by this year end, and if his guess is to be believed, the Ciaz will be the 1st one to get this 1.5L petrol engine, followed by Brezza and Ertiga.

Secondly, the 1.5L diesel is still sometime away, and is likely to debut on the 2018 Ertiga.

Regards,
Shashi
Maruti has not imported single 1.6 engine this year. It is very likely that imports are stopped. There is no immediate plans of localising 1.6 engine too. I guess S cross 1.6 production would be stopped once maruti exhausts all the imported engines.

Quote:
Originally Posted by volkman10 View Post
The information on the 1.6L engine was given in Dec -15 by the Service Manager here. The 1.6 L diesel is being localized and is likely to be seen in the upcoming Vitara. This will be sold through Nexa and will be an offering at a premium price. Maruti Suzuki is not expecting great volumes for these.

Regarding Petrol, S Cross will get the new engine first. The petrol S Cross is also likely to get AT and will be exported to petrol dominant markets(Indonesia)too.
Yes, there are plans to launch petrol S cross soon. I am sad that one of the best product by Maruti - 1.6 S cross is going to die like Kizashi.
Dr.Naren is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th May 2016, 23:21   #4474

This is Sad.
1.6 S-cross is perhaps the finest car Maruti has ever rolled out in Indian markets.

I hope its being localized rather than being completely phased out.

I am glad I booked mine before maruti stop selling these Beauties. It really is a wonderful car.
1.6 DDIS with a equally capable gearbox is a perfect combination.

But I really think it's high time Maruti moves forward over the 1.3 engine.
It will take a bigger punchy engine if Maruti wants to move into the upper segments.

1.6 could have been such a engine. But Alas!
Old 13th May 2016, 23:24   #4475
Sip
BHPian

What an awful situation for those who are planning to buy 1.6. Some communique from Maruti should clarify this. But the policy of silence by Maruti has some disadvantages too.

IMHO 1.6 could be only substituted by 1.4 boosterjet. It seems 'profit maximisation' may not allow Maruti to import more of 1.6 engines. In Jan 16 Maruti in face of creta success story had unwillingly slashed prices of s-cross. Localisation could only be dictated by demand or future business objectives. Given the numbers of 1.6 sold demand may not be sufficient for Maruti. Besides approaching market tilt towarss petrol also indicate against 1.6. So uncertainty still pervails. S-cross could save Maruti from great embrassment due to National Engine only. At present Maruti seems focussing on Brezza and Baleno !

Last edited by Sip : 13th May 2016 at 23:46. Reason: Addition of more points
Sip is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th May 2016, 23:29   #4476
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ananthc View Post
Dear Members, I have taken delivery of my S-Cross Zeta 1.3 yesterday evening ( Brown color). I would like to thank all the members of this forum as you have been instrumental for me to finalize this car. Have been regularly reading through the posts and this had given me the understanding of what to expect from this car.
Many congratulations Ananthc. Here's wishing you miles of happiness. You've made a wise decision by going for S-Cross 1.3 Zeta variant as it is the most value for money variant. After the price cuts, we all know 1.6 variant is a VFM too but its in a different league all together. An ownership review would be greatly appreciated.
Keynote is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th May 2016, 00:01   #4477
MAS
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Bad News

A birdie shared this info with me. When Maruti service centre guys went to factory for Vitara Brezza training, they got information that Maruti won't import any new 1.6 engines. Production would be eventually stopped after stocks are exhausted. He also said Maruti might localise this engine or develop their own engine for future models. I can't say how authentic this information is.
If this is true, it is a sad end to a brilliant move by MSIL.

I was 80% convinced to go for the 1.6 Alpha in spite of its inherent disadvantages, but with the lack of clarity, i do not want to go ahead with the booking.
Old 14th May 2016, 00:11   #4478
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAS View Post
If this is true, it is a sad end to a brilliant move by MSIL.

I was 80% convinced to go for the 1.6 Alpha in spite of its inherent disadvantages, but with the lack of clarity, i do not want to go ahead with the booking.
I am getting my 1.6 Alpha in 4-5 days. Spare parts of Engine & Transmission would be a problem if it's discontinued. I have opted for 4 years/80 K KM extended warranty. I seriously hope maruti localises this engine.
Old 14th May 2016, 00:16   #4479
BANNED

Quote:

I am getting my 1.6 Alpha in 4-5 days. Spare parts of Engine & Transmission would be a problem if it's discontinued. I have opted for 4 years/80 K KM extended warranty. I seriously hope maruti localises this engine.
It wouldn't be a problem. Maruti will support with parts / spares for the next 10 years after a model is discontinued.
a4anurag is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th May 2016, 00:22   #4480
BHPian

Quote:
Just for information .kizashi and grand vitara have no problems for spares yet also according to indian rules maruti have to provide spares for 8 years if they decide to call 1.6 off(highly unlikely according to me ) Just had 200km drive on Mumbai-Ahmedabad highway today and i am extremely satisfied and happy with 1.6 alpha . Highway manners at 140(tried it for first time) Is just ridiculously awesome

Last edited by sahiltodankar : 14th May 2016 at 00:24.
sahiltodankar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th May 2016, 00:24   #4481
MAS
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I hope so too. Apart from the envisaged problem of spares, i am worried about the resale.

My car owning history is bad.
- I had a Ford Fusion TDCi and after a few months of buying it, Ford guys discontinued it. When selling it after 4 years and 1.34 Lakh kms, i had to sell it at a low price as the model was discontinued
- I then bought the All New Fiesta. Now it is over 4 years and 5 months old with 1.13 Lakh kms on the clock. As the model has been discontinued, I am unable to sell it at a decent price.

Now, after a lot of confusion, discussion, sleep deprived nights, i finally wanted to book the 1.6 Alpha (partly also to the great follow up of NEXA guys + extremely worst follow up from Hyundai), there is already a strong possibility of the model being discontinued!!!
Old 14th May 2016, 00:28   #4482
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sahiltodankar View Post
Just for information .kizashi and grand vitara have no problems for spares yet also according to indian rules maruti have to provide spares for 8 years if they decide to call 1.6 off(highly unlikely according to me ) Just had 200km drive on Mumbai-Ahmedabad highway today and i am extremely satisfied and happy with 1.6 alpha . Highway manners at 140(tried it for first time) Is just ridiculously awesome
Yes, I know that buddy. This is one of my main point to convince dad to go for 1.6. What I meant was, spare parts won't be readily available like other maruti cars. SX4 has certain SGP parts and it takes more than a month to arrive if not in stock.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAS View Post
I hope so too. Apart from the envisaged problem of spares, i am worried about the resale.

My car owning history is bad.
- I had a Ford Fusion TDCi and after a few months of buying it, Ford guys discontinued it. When selling it after 4 years and 1.34 Lakh kms, i had to sell it at a low price as the model was discontinued
- I then bought the All New Fiesta. Now it is over 4 years and 5 months old with 1.13 Lakh kms on the clock. As the model has been discontinued, I am unable to sell it at a decent price.

Now, after a lot of confusion, discussion, sleep deprived nights, i finally wanted to book the 1.6 Alpha (partly also to the great follow up of NEXA guys + extremely worst follow up from Hyundai), there is already a strong possibility of the model being discontinued!!!
Yes, I agree about resale point. But if you are keeping the car for more than 5 years, it should not be a problem. There won't be big difference in resale value for 1.3 vs 1.6 after 5 years.

Your Ford cars were discontinued, but here only 1.6 variant might get discontinued. Maruti has better resale value than Ford.

Last edited by Dr.Naren : 14th May 2016 at 00:30.
Old 14th May 2016, 00:39   #4483
BHPian

IMHO, this engine is here to stay. The Vitara is sure to be launched with it, so even if the Scross loses it, there should be no worries about the support.
Also, considering that the Vitara ia likely to be pricier, I'm super glad that I got the 1.6 in the Scross. In fact, internationally, the reviews all rate the Scross higher than the Vitara, engines being the same.
Old 14th May 2016, 00:49   #4484
BHPian

This is the worst news ever. I'm still trying to convince parents to go for the S-Cross 1.6 Alpha and now this news. Well, they need to take that call since they are the ones who would fund it, I make little money to buy such a premium car to be honest.
I'd hate it if I wouldn't be able to drive that beauty in the very near future. I'll be stuck (not too unhappy) with my Swift for longer or would have to buy the i20 (they like it, I hate it)
Just keeping my fingers crossed and praying that they make their decision quick enough and we don't miss out on this. Cause that's a car we would keep for a LONG time (Swift Dzire is 8 years now)
Old 14th May 2016, 00:55   #4485
BHPian

Quote:
Yes, I know that buddy. This is one of my main point to convince dad to go for 1.6. What I meant was, spare parts won't be readily available like other maruti cars. SX4 has certain SGP parts and it takes more than a month to arrive if not in stock.

Yes, I agree about resale point. But if you are keeping the car for more than 5 years, it should not be a problem. There won't be big difference in resale value for 1.3 vs 1.6 after 5 years.

Your Ford cars were discontinued, but here only 1.6 variant might get discontinued. Maruti has better resale value than Ford.
+ your 1.6 will sell purely for its engine. The purists & the tuners will be your target audience. I have a feeling that the 1.6, if discontinued will be considered as a collectable

Forget what the aam junta says.. An enthusiast would pick up a well maintained 1.6 eyes closed.
McLaren Roxx is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed