Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th May 2016, 11:21   #4576
Senior - BHPian

Re: Maruti S-Cross : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
Depends on our expectations as well. I am very well used to the turbo lag with the VGT 1.3 itself. Plus the initial two gears in the FIAT are totally wrong. I was perfectly at home with the 1.6 SCross even for city test drives. I did not even get to experience speeds about 100. 1.6 felt like the 1.3 VGT except that when the power comes in, it really does in truckloads!

In fact, I was so at home driving this car- the sales person commented that I'm the first one to drive the car the way it's meant to be driven. Others either lug it or unnecessarily push it.
Sujai,

Nowhere I have said DDIS320 has " turbo lag "

Next time during TD :
1. Take it over a speedbreaker
or
2. Take a U turn
or
3. From a certain speed in traffic slow down to 10kph.

And, try to roll on from 10kph in 2nd gear.

The above scenarios can't be a special expectation. We face this on daily basis in our country.
kpzen is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th May 2016, 11:32   #4577
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arindambasu13 View Post
Does anyone have any idea on the power to weight ratio and torque to weight of the S Cross 1.6? And also, how does this compare with the power to weight ratio of the Figo twins?
Off the line, the Figo twins will definitely be faster in case of 0-100 timings as compared to the 1.6 S-Cross. The real fun with S-Cross is in-gear acceleration above 1500-1600 rpm. That's where the 1.6 is seriously brutal and it just flies. Torque of 320 against 215 makes a lot of difference despite being almost 200 kgs heavier than the Figo twins. The torque/weight ratio is comparable to D-segment diesel sedans!

Most importantly, driving dynamics of S-Cross are definitely better than the Figo twins and at unmentionable speeds you will find yourself far more comfortable in the S-Cross than Ford's offering.

Going slightly off topic, I have TD'd the Aspire and a few of my observations are as follows:
1. Steering is way too light and I personally prefer if it's slightly weighted.
2. The ABC pedals are spaced too closely which I found to be really annoying.
3. The space in front is also quite tight - I could find my knees touching the centre console which gives a cramped feeling sitting in the driver's seat.
4. The beige overload is a big no-no for me. Even the plastic quality of door panels wasn't up to mark.
Aston Singh is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th May 2016, 16:49   #4578
Sip
BHPian

Had TD today 1.3 and 1.6 s-cross back to back. My dealer wants me to take 1.3 instead of 1.6 Delta as he says that it won't be provided for 'unspecified period' !

1.3 is decently powered car with real peppy engine, responses very well but in 5th gear feels distinct lack of response. Turbo lag minimal. One finds it a very good car in totality except that it is belittled by the Beast in 1.6, which when you take on road screams to be different. There is a feeling of take-off. Once over 80 kmph car clearly shows disdainful behaviour !

While taking TD of 1.6 I was keeping in mind the graphical information provided by torque chart of 1.6 multijet (courtesy BHPian Vibbs) and it clearly is true!

Last edited by Sip : 18th May 2016 at 17:08. Reason: Spell correction
Sip is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th May 2016, 17:33   #4579
BHPian

Thank you all for your comments!

I have spent the last two days reading more than 300 pages of comments and now definitely know a lot more than the Nexa showroom sales force . Possibly, Suzuki should make team-bhp mandatory reading for their sales force.

We are looking to replace my wife’s petrol SX4. She uses the car sparingly and mostly on city roads. It is more than seven years old with only 30,000km on the odo.

I wanted to replace the SX4 with the Baleno. The wife initially agreed and we went to the Nexa showroom in Lower Parel. However, she changed her mind when she saw the S-Cross. As it is her car primarily, she is the decision maker. I may however offer suggestions

We are thinking of a 1.3, even though the 1.6 seems better.
Primary reason being it will be a city commuter vehicle exclusively.
Second and more importantly, my Dzire VDi has already run 75,000kms. I am thinking of trading it in when I touch the 90k mark, which should be in another 5-6 months max. Then I hope to finally buy my dream car, the XUV 500.
Finally, the dealers, both Lower Parel and Andheri, insist that Zeta and Delta versions are no longer available in the 1.6, only the Alpha is. That’s a price differential of almost 2.5 lakhs with the 1.3 zeta.

What do you guys think? Dr. Naren has done quite a bit to keep me wavering and from finalising the 1.3.

Second question, does anyone else have the S-Cross and XUV combo? Should I just cough up the additional 7-8 lakhs and buy the XUV now, instead of S-Cross. The wife could get a compact sedan/ sedan instead. The combined impact of both cars is around 33 lakhs and it seems kind of strange to even think of spending that kind of money on depreciating assets.

We were long distance travellers but over the last three years we have slowed down, 2 boys came into our lives and demanded attention. When the younger one is slightly older, we hope to hit the road again and that’s when a seven seater like the XUV comes in.

I know the decision is personal and dependent on Vitamin M, but keen on your opinions. I am sure some of you may have gone through the same pangs and look forward to your thought processes.

Cheers
us.dash is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th May 2016, 17:41   #4580
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by us.dash View Post
What do you guys think? Dr. Naren has done quite a bit to keep me wavering and from finalising the 1.3.
Cheers
I always wanted 1.6 buddy. But I had settled for 1.3 because of dad and finally convinced him to get 1.6

1.3 S-Cross is not underpowered. It is pretty decent. 1.3 Zeta is more VFM compared to 1.6 Alpha. If your choice was 1.3 Alpha vs 1.6 Alpha. 1.6 makes better sense and additional value of 1.7 lakhs is totally worth for the numerous smiles when you floor 1.6

Last edited by Dr.Naren : 18th May 2016 at 17:43.
Dr.Naren is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th May 2016, 17:51   #4581
BHPian

Quote:

I know the decision is personal and dependent on Vitamin M, but keen on your opinions. I am sure some of you may have gone through the same pangs and look forward to your thought processes.

Cheers
The 1.6 MJD S-Cross is a very competent vehicle but I don't think for pure city driving and for such a low mileage you need it. If your wife still wants S-cross then please wait for some more time (at least 6 months to a year) and you will get the petrol boosterjet on the s-cross and you could for that.

If you cannot wait then go for Baleno 1.2 K-Series. It's a good vehicle on its own.
searacer932 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th May 2016, 17:54   #4582
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
......Should I just cough up the additional 7-8 lakhs and buy the XUV now, instead of S-Cross. The wife could get a compact sedan/ sedan instead.........

......we hope to hit the road again and that’s when a seven seater like the XUV comes in.......
While I own neither of the two cars in consideration (let alone both), your second line of thought makes a lot more sense. S-Cross would be wasted as a city runabout (the 1.6 esp. is a highway car), there are far more compelling packages for that requirement available closer to 2/3rd the price.

Given you're considering buying an XUV for your highway/touring needs, getting a compact city car makes more sense for the wife's steed.

How about a Figo A/T for the wife, so she doesn't have to drive a puny 1.2 after the 1.6P in the SX4?

P.S. Given you haven't mentioned any issues with the SX4, why not consider giving it a bit of a mid-life overhaul (mechanical/cosmetic) and retain it? It may be seven years old, but a well-driven 30K kms is hardly anything for a modern car. You may get a few more years out of it, and I'm guessing resale is already down the drain so it's not like you'll lose much by keeping it another 2-3 years. Put aside the new car's money for the period, and you can buy a nice small-block turbo petrol a few years from now as a replacement.

Last edited by Chetan_Rao : 18th May 2016 at 18:05.
Chetan_Rao is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th May 2016, 18:09   #4583
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:

Cheers
Honestly, the 1.3 is perfect for Bombay traffic, and given you will have luggage on your road trips (for a family of 4), the boot space of the S-Cross may fall short if it is your primary vehicle.
BUT - given you're based in Mumbai, a lot depends on your commute. For normal WEH driving, the 1.3 is perfect. For the EEH & Panvel highway, the 1.6 would be more fun to be behind the wheels of.

Lastly, the XUV makes sense for your long distance travels (unless you're open to considering a better handling and as safe sedan - Jetta / Octavia?) given the sad state of the Indian highways. For instance, Mum-Hyd in an SUV is a lot more stress-free owing to road work post Solapur, but Mum-Goa in a sedan is a lot more fun as the roads are excellent for most part.

Similarly for the city - unless you see bad roads, undulations very often, you may prefer a smaller hatch / compact sedan as it'll be easier to manoeuvre and park. Plus, you also get the option for an auto gearbox (which, I am sure your wife will love in the long run).
However, if there are undulations and bad roads, go for the S-Cross.
My daily commute sees me travelling over good roads for which I take the Skoda, but when travelling on the WEH, and longer distances - the S-Cross is far more comfortable.

Hope this helps!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kpzen View Post
Sujai,

Nowhere I have said DDIS320 has " turbo lag "

Next time during TD :
1. Take it over a speedbreaker
or
2. Take a U turn
or
3. From a certain speed in traffic slow down to 10kph.

And, try to roll on from 10kph in 2nd gear.

The above scenarios can't be a special expectation. We face this on daily basis in our country.
Hi,

Having had to do this a fair bit in the 1.6 during run-in, I can confidently say that unless you slip the clutch in second gear - it will require a downshift to 1st. Otherwise, you will be lugging the engine. It won't stall, but it won't be happy for sure!
However, this wasn't a deal breaker as I adapted to it within a couple of days.
lamborghini is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 18th May 2016, 19:29   #4584

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamborghini View Post
Having had to do this a fair bit in the 1.6 during run-in, I can confidently say that unless you slip the clutch in second gear - it will require a downshift to 1st. Otherwise, you will be lugging the engine. It won't stall, but it won't be happy for sure!
However, this wasn't a deal breaker as I adapted to it within a couple of days.
Completely agree, certainly have to downshift to 1st. If you drive in heavy traffic and roads have many speed breakers, driving 1.6 certainly becomes a little irritating. I have a habit of driving with cyclic quick acceleration & sudden brakes, 1.6 doesnt help here much.
320NmThunder is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th May 2016, 20:00   #4585
BHPian

This question goes to all the S-Cross 1.3 MJD users.
Is the famous gear synchronizer issue on the 90 BHP engines, resolved on the S-Cross platform ?

I haven't seen any one complaining about it on the Ciaz.

Is it safe to assume that this issue would have been sorted out the Maruti.

Was looking the S-Cross 90 BHP as a choice for a new vehicle.
Old 18th May 2016, 21:00   #4586
Senior - BHPian

Now Suzuki accepts that it cheated about fuel economy figures. Is SCross affected due to this or not is not clear.

http://economictimes.indiatimes.com/...w/52326242.cms
Old 18th May 2016, 21:55   #4587
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandeep3in View Post
This question goes to all the S-Cross 1.3 MJD users.
Is the famous gear synchronizer issue on the 90 BHP engines, resolved on the S-Cross platform ?
I haven't seen any one complaining about it on the Ciaz.

Is it safe to assume that this issue would have been sorted out the Maruti.
Was looking the S-Cross 90 BHP as a choice for a new vehicle.
Gear box is not as slick as the swift gear box
It is a bit vague in the 4th gear. Reverse is a bit difficult to engage compared to the 1.6 or the swift.
Old 18th May 2016, 23:51   #4588
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by girishv View Post
I did opted for the NEXA accessories pack and got everything you mentioned except the car cover. Do you think I can raise this with my RM now after three months?

cheers,
Well my dear friend, I am one of the many who was hell bent on buying the cover when I brought the car home the first time, the fit wasn't perfect and the name S CROSS was written clumsily.

Going was okay till the heavens opened up to my utter dismay, leaving my pristine white hunk stained with the cover's inside colour! !
The cover is of very inferior quality, the colour runs and bleeds and my call to the concerned representative of NEXA ended with an empty promise to replace it after a conversation with the accessories team (guess that would never happen). I am sad to say that you haven't missed out on anything great or worthy. The floor mats that were supposed to be fitted before delivery is still on the camel's back.

I had been handed over the car on the 6th of May and am patiently waiting for it with all my calls regarding the same concern, the RM only buying time from me. Patience is a virtue indeed!
Old 19th May 2016, 06:45   #4589
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenHarPree View Post
Well my dear friend, I am one of the many who was hell bent on buying the cover when I brought the car home the first time, the fit wasn't perfect and the name S CROSS was written clumsily.

Going was okay till the heavens opened up to my utter dismay, leaving my pristine white hunk stained with the cover's inside colour! !
The cover is of very inferior quality, the colour runs and bleeds and my call to the concerned representative of NEXA ended with an empty promise to replace it after a conversation with the accessories team (guess that would never happen). I am sad to say that you haven't missed out on anything great or worthy. The floor mats that were supposed to be fitted before delivery is still on the camel's back.

I had been handed over the car on the 6th of May and am patiently waiting for it with all my calls regarding the same concern, the RM only buying time from me. Patience is a virtue indeed!
Why not just surf Amazon, PAYTM and the other web commerce sites to find a suitable cover?
I did and it works perfectly. Cost only some 2000 Rupees...
Old 19th May 2016, 07:08   #4590
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajay_satpute View Post
Now Suzuki accepts that it cheated about fuel economy figures. Is SCross affected due to this or not is not clear.
Suzuki issued a statement on the same, also the issue is likely to have little bearing in India as mileage data disclosed for our market is not the manufacturer claimed figure but efficiency as certified by ARAI after conducting laboratory tests set to a prescribed Indian driving cycle.

Quote:
The above issues do not apply to products sold under Suzuki badge outside Japan.
and also in Japan,

Quote:
In the course of the investigation, we measured actual data through the coasting test in addition to the data already obtained by the time of application for certificate through the coasting test. As the result of verification of all certified fuel efficiency value with these actual data through the coasting test, all certified values remained within the range of measurement deviation.
Therefore, we consider it not necessary to amend the driving resistance value applied, nor the fuel efficiency value measured using the driving resistance value.
http://www.globalsuzuki.com/globalnews/2016/0518.html

Last edited by volkman10 : 19th May 2016 at 07:12.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks