Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 7th June 2016, 13:40   #4876

Re: Maruti S-Cross : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by sahiltodankar View Post
Seems like i am not the only one with this black smoke issue.its just embarrassing to see my new car leaving too much black smoke.looks like now maruti will interfere in this now as other people are reporting same.i dont understand it all.sometimes car behaves normally.no smoke or very less smoke when accelerating and sometimes even on slight acceleration it leaves too much smoke.1.3 scross are safe i guess.
In some Maruti vehicles fitted with VGT, the VGT Solenoid Valve malfunction is the cause for black smoke during acceleration. IMHO, when you press the A pedal, the ECM instructs the injectors to provide increased injection of fuel and simultaneously instructs the VGT Solenoid Valve to actuate the Turbo Charger. This will give you acceleration on demand without making the fuel mix rich or lean.

However, if the solenoid valve causes a lag in physical actuation of the VGT, the fuel mix becomes rich for a few seconds because the injectors are actuated before the VGT. This leads to black some being emitted for a few seconds during acceleration. Once, the turbo kicks in, the black smoke disappears. This happened in some Ertigas fitted with VGT.

This can only be diagnosed during a road test while the vehicle is attached to the Suzuki Diagnostic Tool (SDT). Various snapshots of the SDT have to be taken as and when the symptom is observed during road test. The snapshots can then be compared to the readings of a non-symptomatic vehicle to diagnose the root cause.

Please see if this helps in your case. There may be other causes but this one seems more plausible in your case.

Happy driving!
Parryontheprowl is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th June 2016, 14:07   #4877
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenHarPree View Post
The bumpers in S Cross are black. Surprised to see that have come across a bumper in white! . Anyway had this issue with Micra.
The bumper was white. I am aware of the black bumper being there but this was white. Maybe an aftermarket paint/vinyl job not sure, but it was there. Quite frankly I'd love to wrap that black cladding with another colour myself, actually looked pretty good
Old 7th June 2016, 14:35   #4878
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parryontheprowl View Post
In some Maruti vehicles fitted with VGT, the VGT Solenoid Valve malfunction is the cause for black smoke during acceleration.!
I will let this know to my service advisors before i leave my car with them.i am just not quite comfortable to leave my car again and again for same issue in service centres as my parents may be getting worried about our Scross inside but they are not saying anything yet though.hope this turns out to be last trip for black smoke. Thank you for inputs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GranvilleDsouza View Post
The bumper was white. I am aware of the black bumper being there but this was white. Maybe an aftermarket paint/vinyl job not sure, but it was there. Quite frankly I'd love to wrap that black cladding with another colour myself, actually looked pretty good
Something like this
I liked it at first for a change but after sometime i guess black looks good to me atleast .in real life scross may be looking quite bigger with same color bumper.
Attached Thumbnails
Maruti S-Cross : Official Review-_20160607_142216.jpg  

sahiltodankar is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 7th June 2016, 14:35   #4879
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sahiltodankar View Post
1.3 scross are safe i guess.
W.r.t the 1.3, my swift used to emit black smoke, blame it to the city running on weekdays. During my weekend drive to Mumbai, some high speed / rev sessions to clear off the exhaust and bob's your uncle . At one instance it was a clogged Intercooler and a messy EGR valve. Both were cleaned and the issue vanished.

Last edited by rakesh_r : 7th June 2016 at 14:37.
Old 7th June 2016, 15:00   #4880
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by girishv View Post
Congratulations on your car. Can you please let me know the total cost of the above upgrades, may be with cost breakup. Also, do you by chance have the photos of the upgrades. I'm mainly interested in the tweeter installation.

Girish
I got a good discount on the speakers+twitters+subwoofer+amp as I had purchased the alloy and other stuff for this single shop.
1. 2 component speakers (Velocity)- 7.8K
2. Amp- 7.8K
3. Subwoofer- 4.7K
4. Cables and fitting- 3K

Below are the pictures:
The tweeters are mounted on the existing twitter bay. I think its screwed from the bottom but will need to check.
Maruti S-Cross : Official Review-img_20160607_130912.jpg

Maruti S-Cross : Official Review-img_20160607_130936.jpg

Maruti S-Cross : Official Review-img_20160604_153124.jpg

The amp getting installed below the front seat. The seat was removed.
Maruti S-Cross : Official Review-img_20160405_165600.jpg

The speaker was mounted in this bracket. Prevents speakers touching the metal directly and reduces vibrations. Behind you can see the Dynamat applied.
Maruti S-Cross : Official Review-img_20160405_180448.jpg
shivasi is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 7th June 2016, 15:31   #4881

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
No idea mate.

Check the static pics if you can find them on the net. The one I saw was moving so there is no way one can make out if these alloys are similar to the Brezza or not.
Checked the stock pictures. They are not the same. Now need to look at where these alloys are available? IMHO Maruti will not bring them here for a very long time, like never.

I would like to know how many people are using cruise control in the S Cross. My drives have taken me mostly through the north Indian roads where i am constantly weaving in and out of cars, trucks and buses. Very rarely have I been able to keep a fixed speed for more than two minutes. I considered cruise control but felt that there would be less need so dropped down to a delta. So the question. and the follow up, if you all say that it is extensively used is 'can I get it as an add on?'

Last edited by Aditya : 8th June 2016 at 07:00. Reason: Merging back to back posts
Old 7th June 2016, 15:46   #4882
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vellat sasi View Post
I would like to know how many people are using cruise control in the S Cross. My drives have taken me mostly through the north Indian roads where i am constantly weaving in and out of cars, trucks and buses. Very rarely have I been able to keep a fixed speed for more than two minutes. I considered cruise control but felt that there would be less need so dropped down to a delta. So the question. and the follow up, if you all say that it is extensively used is 'can I get it as an add on?'
I use it very frequently to the extent of using it in the city for short distances as much as 500mtrs. It's sufficient time to relax your leg muscle s after driving thru traffic.
Old 7th June 2016, 15:48   #4883
Senior - BHPian

S Cross 1.6 users, is there any estimate of the typical service charges for the 1.6 engine post the three free services? Any kind of ball park figure? I was told that the service costs are similar to the 1.3 engine by the Nexa people, though I have my doubts.
Old 7th June 2016, 16:02   #4884
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arindambasu13 View Post
S Cross 1.6 users, is there any estimate of the typical service charges for the 1.6 engine post the three free services? Any kind of ball park figure? I was told that the service costs are similar to the 1.3 engine by the Nexa people, though I have my doubts.
The charges may vary when it comes to replacements. For eg-
1- The 1.3 needs 3.2l of engine oil whereas the 1.6 needs 5.25l
2-The 1.3 needs 6l of coolant as compared to 5.5 L for the 1.6
3-Air filter should be different for both
4-Diesel filter (should be expensive for the 1.6 since the engine is imported)
5-The GB oil of the 1.6 needs to be replaced after 1.5 lac KM.
Quote:
Originally Posted by vellat sasi View Post
I would like to know how many people are using cruise control in the S Cross.
I use the cruise control every weekend when I travel to Mumbai on the expressway.

Last edited by rakesh_r : 7th June 2016 at 16:04.
Old 7th June 2016, 16:04   #4885
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by volkman10 View Post
Maruti is speculated to be working on a SUV and is due in 2018/19.

Like the Vitara Brezza this will be developed in India and could be exported to designated markets.
This SUV will be the next to be sold through the regular Maruti outlets wile the more expensive Vitara will retail through its premium outlet Nexa.
This will surely be the extended version of the Brezza. During the launch of Brezza, Maruti officials had mentioned, that based on the response, they will come up with such an option.

May be a 7-seater?
With 4500mm in length?
With a 1.6L Fiat Diesel engine / 1.5L Suzuki Diesel engine, and a 1.5/1.6L Petrol engine?

If it is aimed to undercut Creta, they have to launch the Petrol base version at 8L and Diesel base version at 9L ex-showroom Delhi, which is possible if we consider the following:

Brezza Diesel base: 7L
Additional tax: 50K
Add for a bigger engine: 1L
Add for the bigger body: 50K

So, a 9L ex-showroom price for Diesel is definitely possible, provided, they manufacture the engine in India.

Minus 1L for a Petrol model, and you can price the Petrol base at 8L.

Last edited by romeomidhun : 7th June 2016 at 16:20.
romeomidhun is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th June 2016, 18:06   #4886

Hello. I am looking to buy S Cross 1.3 Zeta at Kolkata.

Any suggestions on which of the 3 NEXA dealerships in Kolkata would be recommended?
And if anyone has recently purchased in Kolkata, can you please share some information regarding prices to expect? The On-Road price quoted is 10.83 L.
Old 7th June 2016, 21:41   #4887
BHPian

Noticed one issue while accelerating. If I'm accelerating in 2nd / 3rd, the rpm increases gradually till 2200-2300 and it suddenly spikes to 2900-3000 momentarily and then comes down to 2400-2500 as I'm still accelerating in the same gradual input on the accelerator pedal.

Is this some thing normal? or I need to take this up with the service. My car 1.3 Zeta.
Old 8th June 2016, 08:19   #4888
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sree73 View Post
Noticed one issue while accelerating. If I'm accelerating in 2nd / 3rd, the rpm increases gradually till 2200-2300 and it suddenly spikes to 2900-3000 momentarily and then comes down to 2400-2500 as I'm still accelerating in the same gradual input on the accelerator pedal.

Is this some thing normal? or I need to take this up with the service. My car 1.3 Zeta.

I'm no expert, but this seems like the clutch is slipping? How many kms has your car clocked? Do you usually drive in heavy traffic? In my opinion, tell them about the unusual revs at the earliest. To me it's the clutch that is riding.
Old 8th June 2016, 11:20   #4889
BHPian

I've read that S-Cross's underbelly is protected using a metal sheet, and you cannot see the ground. Yesterday when I opened the bonnet I could see a bit of the ground. Metal sheet needs to be removed only while changing the oil right? Mine has completed just 8k km and oil is yet to be changed for the first time. BTW A stupid school bus scratched our driver side front fender and we got it repaired from MASS. Is this normal. Last time I opened the bonnet (before sending it to MASS a week ago) I think couldn't see the ground .

Maruti S-Cross : Official Review-20160608_104900.jpg
White area above the turbo heat shield is the ground

[Maruti S-Cross : Official Review-20160608_110046.jpg

Is this normal? Mine is a 1.6 Alpha
Old 8th June 2016, 12:13   #4890
Distinguished - BHPian

Remap/Tuning Box for 1.6 S-Cross

I am very happy with stock power. But I might plonk a tuning box or remap in few months. So I have decided to consider various options and contacted many.

Race Dynamics
RD has both single and dual channel box for 1.6 S-Cross. They said connectors are same as 1.3 SX4. They have offered me a dyno run in Bangalore if I buy the box.

TOT
I have contacted Vivek and he said it's doable. It would be a bench flash. TOT has remapped a lot of cars. They are very helpful. I had contacted them way back in 2013 about remap for SX4. But my car had issues of intermittent power loss and TOT advised me not to remap. They also suggested me about how to rectify the issue. My dad was against remap and it got delayed. Finally I ended up remapping my SX4 from Petes and Wolf in 2015.(I used to stay in thrissur last year and cochin was just 2 hours drive)

Viezu
To my surprise, Viezu claims they have OBD flash for 1.6 S-Cross. I am not sure if it's true. I checked CMD website and it says bench flash for Suzuki EDC 16 C39 ECU. I dont know if Viezu has some other tool/software.

KIIRUS
They said it's doable and would be a bench flash.

Wolf Moto
Rajiv said it would be a bench flash. S-Cross 1.6 is OBD port protected. ECU has to be opened every time for any changes. But it can be solved by using a chip from CMD called spider boot (not sure). It will allow any changes to be made via OBD port. Since I am a Wolf customer for SX4, remap is offered at a discounted price.

My only concern is bench flash. S-Cross 1.6 has fully imported engine and parts would cost a bomb. I would have problem for warranty claims if Maruti service centre sends the ECU to factory. So I was inclined towards RD dual channel box. But I know a good remap is better any day. Wolf tuner won't be available all the time since he works in ship. So TOT is more practical for me as I drive to Bangalore every month. I have few more months to decide. I have narrowed down to RD dual channel box vs TOT vs Wolf remap.

Last edited by Dr.Naren : 8th June 2016 at 12:16.
Dr.Naren is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks