Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 14th June 2016, 14:54   #4951
BHPian

Re: Maruti S-Cross : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenHarPree View Post
Congratulations. Unleash the beast after the run in period. What was cost of the basic accessories? Is it the Sonax cleaning kit?
Thank you. Yes, it is the Sonax and Car Covers are by Tyvek. I was told the basic accessories are worth 10K. Didn't bother to haggle too much around the freebies as I was more keen on getting the car as soon as possible
Old 14th June 2016, 16:18   #4952
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajay_satpute View Post
...Also, I am fancying of getting those white light Xenons if feasible...
An HID kit with 6000K bulbs will give you the "white" light effect. But I read about lesser visibility of this in rains & fog. A 4300K will be closer to the natural headlight color (like halogen bulbs) and gives a better visibility is the general opinion.

I agree the white light scores on the bling factor though.
swiftnfurious is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th June 2016, 16:26   #4953
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftnfurious View Post
An HID kit with 6000K bulbs will give you the "white" light effect. But I read about lesser visibility of this in rains & fog. A 4300K will be closer to the natural headlight color (like halogen bulbs) and gives a better visibility is the general opinion.

I agree the white light scores on the bling factor though.
6000K HID will surely give a bling factor, But during the rains and fog as well while driving on highways its a set back! I had 6000k on both High and low beam of my Polo and i literally could not take it on the well lit highways.
Tanveer_2558 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th June 2016, 16:41   #4954
Distinguished - BHPian

S-Cross stock bixenon setup has Osram d5s bulbs and 25W ballast. Are the bulbs 4300k?

Last edited by Dr.Naren : 14th June 2016 at 16:46.
Old 14th June 2016, 18:00   #4955
BHPian

Friends, during the second free service (@ 5000 Kms) of my Delta 1.6, I reported a suspension related issue at the Service Center: A heavy clunking sound which apparently originates from the “Rear Axle Tube” only when the vehicle is turning on a path with any gradient. Say, on a Ramp or curved path wherein the vehicle would require bending on one side due to slope in the path. I first heard this sound at around 1000 kms when it was quite faint. It used to sound like a splash of water bouncing inside a tank. So going by the poor sound insulation levels of this vehicle I figured it’s the sound of Diesel splashing inside the fuel tank. Well, this sound kept on increasing and at post 5000 kms, this sound had become pretty audible both on the inside as well as outside of the car. It was quite disturbing to hear it especially on the outside. My SA acknowledged this problem and forwarded the case to MSIL’s technical back-end along with photos of the Axle tube. He told that there was nothing to worry as it was just a sound coming from the axle-tube probably due to defective welding at some joint. Furthermore, he said that no damage is possible to any other suspension part because of this sound.

Over one week had gone by and my SA did not revert. After calling him up, he told that a reply regarding my case was still pending with the technical/quality team of MSIL. Also, he gave a verbal assurance of replacing this faulty Axle Tube under warranty. When asked the reason for so much delay he said that service teams are currently busy with the service re-calls of Baleno & S-Cross due to which my case was being delayed. How could such a reason be even remotely related to my issue?

Upon this delay, I wrote a complaint to NEXA via e-mail and cited the entire case along with many words of disappointment. On the next day itself I got a call from the Regional Head of NEXA assuring closure of this issue asap.

On the next day itself, I received a call from my SA requesting to bring in the Car for 3-4 hours. The solution offered – Swapping my rear axle tube (only) from their 1.6 Alpha TD Car for making an accurate diagnosis. He said after this swap they can be sure about the problem by checking both the cars and order any other prospective parts along with the Axle Tube. I agreed, and took the car to the workshop.

After 3 long hours of personally inspecting the swap it was time for the Road Test. I had my fingers crossed. To our happiness , no sound was heard during our rigorous road test done mostly on ramps and sharp turns. But at the fag end of it, while entering back into the Service Centre, slight sound (2-3 light clunks) was again heard from the rear right side after descending from the ramp . My SA seemed as disappointed as me. Afterwards, the SA requested to keep my car at the service center while they would now check the Test Drive Car with my “faulty” axle tube. After about an hour or so I got a call from my SA saying that the Test Car vehicle was facing the same problem with as much sound as observed in my car before the swap. In the late evening, my SA called up to collect my car.

Upon meeting him he told that after discussing the observations with their back-end it was concluded that my car indeed had a faulty axle tube. He told he had punched the order for a new Rear Axle assembly and said it would take around one week for its delivery .Until that time I would be driving my car with the axle tube fitted from their Test Car. Before leaving, even I took the Test Car for a road test and it indeed was having that same problem.

In light of the above scenario, I have a few queries folks:

1. Though MSIL never pointed or mentioned, but my car is fitted with new 16” alloys. I purchased them from the open market after getting a buy-back for the OEM alloys. Are these news alloys responsible for causing any sort of impact on the axle tube in any way? PS : There is no wear and tear to my tyres or shockers due to these alloys.

2. Do any of you face the same problem? If yes, what corrective action did you take?

3. Do you think MSIL is diagnosing the problem correctly?

Note from Support:
- not more than two smilies allowed per post
- proper spacing enhances readability

Last edited by Eddy : 14th June 2016 at 19:13. Reason: Note inline
smitz4u is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th June 2016, 22:37   #4956
Sip
BHPian

Hey guys can anyone elaborate upon the pros and cons of extended warranty for 3rd and 4th year for s-cross 1.3. Is insurance linked with mechanical problems in any way ?

Regards !
Old 15th June 2016, 00:21   #4957
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by smitz4u View Post
Friends, during the second free service (@ 5000 Kms) of my Delta 1.6, I reported a suspension related issue at the Service Center: A heavy clunking sound which apparently originates from the "Rear Axle Tube"..……

I have 1.3 alpha, and I'm also facing something similar kind. The sound is irritating, it is click type sound like some glass getting touched by metal. I don't know can't describe exactly in words.
At 20K service I'll also point the issue to my SA, let's see what he has to say.
Old 15th June 2016, 00:27   #4958
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sip View Post
the pros and cons of extended warranty for 3rd and 4th year for s-cross 1.3.
Extended warranty is a no-brainer... read the Team-BHP perspective here: http://www.team-bhp.com/advice/exten...ties-yes-or-no.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sip View Post
Is insurance linked with mechanical problems in any way ?!
Insurance will only be linked to mechanical problems in case of accident and not wear and tear. If I can try and draw an analogy to health insurance, most policies don't cover cosmetic procedures unless and until necessitated by an accident.
avdhesh15 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th June 2016, 18:32   #4959

I have an S Cross 1.3 delta. Took my family for a 514 km drive up into the Kullu hills. On the flat roads the vehicle really zipped. When I came into the hills with single lane highways and both climbing and descending since it was the foothills (our destination was at 5000ft), the vehicle's turbo lag was seriously noticeable. Overtaking had to be done in 2nd or first gear and most of the climb I had to do in 2nd and 3rd gear. It did feel seriously under powered for the hills.
It was a serious learning for me since this is my first diesel. I have driven up the hills in my swift which made climbed quite easily, but this one required me to make a lot more gear shifts and ensure that I do not overtake unless I am in the 1st or 2nd gear.

Has anyone had a similar experience or would advice me to do something different?
Old 15th June 2016, 18:34   #4960
Distinguished - BHPian

New look of my S-Cross post 3M store visit
Maruti S-Cross : Official Review-img20160615wa0037.jpg

Details in my ownership review :
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...ml#post3997665

Last edited by Dr.Naren : 15th June 2016 at 18:44.
Dr.Naren is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 15th June 2016, 19:40   #4961
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vellat sasi View Post
...vehicle's turbo lag was seriously noticeable. Overtaking had to be done in 2nd or first gear and most of the climb I had to do in 2nd and 3rd gear. It did feel seriously under powered for the hills...

Has anyone had a similar experience or would advice me to do something different?
Not just you, anyone with a turbo charged diesel especially the MJD/DDiS owners go through this issue. Hills becomes really painful to drive through. Be thankful that you did not go for 1.6 variant. The lag in 1.3 is nothing compared to 1.6.

The only way to overcome is to keep the car in turbo zone i.e 1.9k + rpms.

The other option would be to get your car remapped. As the tuners tend to reduce the lag considerably.

Last edited by ank.nsit : 15th June 2016 at 19:43.
Old 15th June 2016, 21:29   #4962
BHPian

Quote:
I have an S Cross 1.3 delta. Took my family for a 514 km drive up into the Kullu hills. On the flat roads the vehicle really zipped. When I came into the hills with single lane highways and both climbing and descending since it was the foothills (our destination was at 5000ft), the vehicle's turbo lag was seriously noticeable. Overtaking had to be done in 2nd or first gear and most of the climb I had to do in 2nd and 3rd gear. It did feel seriously under powered for the hills.
It was a serious learning for me since this is my first diesel. I have driven up the hills in my swift which made climbed quite easily, but this one required me to make a lot more gear shifts and ensure that I do not overtake unless I am in the 1st or 2nd gear.

Had this dissatisfaction earlier but not anymore. It needed some change in my driving style. Had this habit of upshifting early on and would not stay in lower gears much. Trying to drive in only 3+ gear all time. Realized that being eager to get in a higher gear doesn't help much with the driving experience.

The way I drive now is by judging the maximum speed possible based on road and traffic conditions and then choosing the gear according to that. So if I know that I can't go beyond 40 kmph on a road then I'll keep pushing the car in second gear. Initially, used to feel jerks while playing with acclerator at lower gears but it smoothened out eventually. Also, will keep on pushing at 3rd gear until I am sure that I can go beyond 60 kmph. This way I stay in turbo zone most of the time.

This is not heavy-footed driving but more of pulsating-foot driving without either completely flooring the acclerator or releasing it completely but playing somewhere in between. So I would push it to the point where there is an internal urge to upshift but instead of upshifting I would release accelerator a bit and try to get a feeling of cruising in that gear.

Loving the amazing driving experience without change in mileage.

I might be wrong but feel that diesel cars start shooting black smoke with early upshift habit due to lugging in a higher gear.

Obviously, I haven't driven the car on Kullu kind of serious ghats so not discounting what you are saying. I understand the kind of stress it puts on you and disappointment when car struggles up the ghats.

Last edited by @viral : 15th June 2016 at 21:56.
@viral is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th June 2016, 22:18   #4963
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftnfurious View Post
I wear eye glasses and have difficulty with glare from oncoming vehicles (mild in case of low beam and severe in case of high beam). However I have always felt that the HID projectors reduce the glare for on coming vehicle very substantially. Any one else felt so?
Old 15th June 2016, 23:15   #4964
BHPian

Quote:
the vehicle's turbo lag was seriously noticeable. Overtaking had to be done in 2nd or first gear and most of the climb I had to do in 2nd and 3rd gear. It did feel seriously under powered for the hills.

I have a 1.3 S-Cross but wouldn't call it underpowered at all. Turbo lag, yes it is an issue with turbo charged diesels. The thing you need to remember is that this is a small engine powering a fairly large vehicle. Diesel engines deliver more torque and therefore you need to change your driving style a bit to harness that torque. Most of the torque is available in the turbo zone. What you are experiencing of not being able to complete a quick overtakes is due to not enough power being generated when you are outside the turbo zone. So the trick is to keep the engine in turbo.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ank.nsit View Post
Not just you, anyone with a turbo charged diesel especially the MJD/DDiS owners go through this issue. Hills becomes really painful to drive through. Be thankful that you did not go for 1.6 variant. The lag in 1.3 is nothing compared to 1.6.

The only way to overcome is to keep the car in turbo zone i.e 1.9k + rpms.

The other option would be to get your car remapped. As the tuners tend to reduce the lag considerably.
Agree with you 100% on this. I drive on Western ghats often and didn't experience problems overtaking. It's become a whole lot easier after the remap. Even then you have to prepare the car ahead for the overtaking maneuvere. The remap specifically has helped me go higher on revs and power output post 3K RPM where as in stock it was simply useless post 3K RPM.

Quote:
Originally Posted by @viral View Post
Had this dissatisfaction earlier but not anymore. It needed some change in my driving style. Had this habit of upshifting early on and would not stay in lower gears much. Trying to drive in only 3+ gear all time. Realized that being eager to get in a higher gear doesn't help much with the driving experience.

The way I drive now is by judging the maximum speed possible based on road and traffic conditions and then choosing the gear according to that. So if I know that I can't go beyond 40 kmph on a road then I'll keep pushing the car in second gear. Initially, used to feel jerks while playing with acclerator at lower gears but it smoothened out eventually. Also, will keep on pushing at 3rd gear until I am sure that I can go beyond 60 kmph. This way I stay in turbo zone most of the time.

This is not heavy-footed driving but more of pulsating-foot driving without either completely flooring the acclerator or releasing it completely but playing somewhere in between. So I would push it to the point where there is an internal urge to upshift but instead of upshifting I would release accelerator a bit and try to get a feeling of cruising in that gear.
I do exactly this and I like to hear the thrum of the diesel engine.

The only thing I'd like to add to this conversation is to be careful not to switch off the car as soon as you stop after driving in the hills. You must let the turbo cool down by idling it for 90 seconds.
sudeepg is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th June 2016, 00:40   #4965

Thank you an.nsit, @viral and sudeepg for your suggestions. I will change my driving style on my next trip and see the response of the vehicle in the hills before I consider a remap. I was a bit worried if my move to diesel was a mistake.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks